Author Topic: Owon XDS3202E vs Siglent SDS1202X-E  (Read 47301 times)

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Owon XDS3202E vs Siglent SDS1202X-E
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2017, 06:23:23 am »
You might have spotted in another thread where a new X-E owner had pimped the DSO with 2000X knobs at additional cost...........want better knobs then the price will increase.

I like the Siglent but I do wonder how many sales would be lost if it cost US$2 more but had better physical user interface.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2017, 07:45:55 am »
You might have spotted in another thread where a new X-E owner had pimped the DSO with 2000X knobs at additional cost...........want better knobs then the price will increase.

I like the Siglent but I do wonder how many sales would be lost if it cost US$2 more but had better physical user interface.
$2 worth of knobs at production would probably add $20 at retail and then Siglent would miss their target price point.
For entry level and economy model pricing, every $ cent is important.

Looks only are the issue here but the X-E knobs are perfectly functional and I've not thought they can't/won't do the job and I power an X-E almost every day.
For those that want to pimp/customise their scopes there'll be plenty of choices of alternative knobs on Aliexpress.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2017, 09:20:53 am »
What struck you about the CML when you bought it ?
Was it really looks or features ?

It was under $200 used but like new on ebay, and was better than a USB scope. The fact that it looked more expensive than it was was a nice bonus, and that's all.

Also,

I don't want some breakdown of why they chose each design element and why it's actually really good and I should totally love everything about it, because I don't.

:blah:

You don't need to defend the honor of everything Siglent does when it's something subjective like looks. I'm sure there are people who find Keysight design elements ugly but as long as they're functional you don't see the Keysight rep responding breathlessly to people who think e.g. the new black Keysights are ugly (they are). This kind of aggressive forum activity (doing anything other than helping customers with problems and answering questions) gives Siglent a kind of weird look.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:32:09 am by dos »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2017, 10:01:16 am »
You don't need to defend the honor of everything Siglent does when it's something subjective like looks.
I don't and you have no idea of the barbed bullets I send them behind the scenes when required.

Earlier on today Siglent was online and spent some time studying the content of this thread.
I've had emails from US Siglent too regarding this content.........they watch and listen to what we offer and they have some allegiance from me for implementing some of the changes I have suggested.
Very occasionally we see small unannounced HW changes and who knows, knobs might get changed because of further thought provoked by this thread.

I get it that you are uncomfortable with looks, and that's your opinion which is fine with me.
Another old saying comes to mind:
You can please everybody some of the time but you won't please everybody all of the time.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2017, 10:39:04 am »
Earlier on today Siglent was online and spent some time studying the content of this thread.
I've had emails from US Siglent too regarding this content.........they watch and listen to what we offer and they have some allegiance from me for implementing some of the changes I have suggested.
Well, it's a good sign that they are reading. I am aware that sometimes we do ask for golden unicorns with Unobtanium horn, no less, and of course at a bargain basement price, but I am sure some of our comments will be helpful!

For the record, I brought the 1202X-E to the office yesterday. A junior engineer saw it and he said "hey! that looks like one of the Good Oscilloscopes!" (and he wasn't being sarcastic). These youngsters who haven't grown fond of nice clunky analog controls full of number scales... : >:D

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2017, 12:18:42 pm »
You can please everybody some of the time but you won't please everybody all of the time.

Exactly, and that's fine. I really like what Siglent are doing to make responsive and feature-rich scopes available to the masses. I firmly believe that the 1202X-E is the new Rigol 1052E in terms of what that scope did for "value for money", and just like the 1052E it's going to set a new standard for what a ~$400 scope should be.

If Siglent really are reading this: Make a 4 channel version X-E for at most a couple hundred more and you'll dominate. It's not terribly important but try to learn from Rigol's looks (or Keysight, or Tek...). Dark text should always be on a white background for maximum readability and don't try to go overboard to make something unique looking or you'll end up like Owon or Instek making visual atrocities. Budget scopes had decent knobs in the past so don't cheap out on stupid things like that now, things should always get better or stay the same, not worse. It's a slippery slope and compromises lead to Owon-style reputation if they keep happening. Test the software.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:26:58 pm by dos »

Offline Diabolo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2017, 12:42:14 pm »
Hello,

Gold-plated buttons for the same price? And 4 channels for a few cents ?
He who believes in his dreams is not awake !
Butter and butter money !

Regards,
Diabolo

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2017, 01:16:30 pm »
Hello,

Gold-plated buttons for the same price? And 4 channels for a few cents ?
He who believes in his dreams is not awake !
Butter and butter money !

Regards,
Diabolo

Yes truly some decent knobs and 4 channels under $500 is impossible. Never been done. Err...

http://www.saelig.com/ds1000z-series/ds1074z.htm

This was in 2015. Technology has improved as you can see in the far better (in everything but number of channels and fit and finish) 1202X-E. It performs better and costs ~$90 less:

http://www.saelig.com/siglent-sdsx-series/sds1202x-e.htm

I'm not even asking for a few cents more. I'm asking to pay $500-600 for a 4 channel version. It's not exactly an insane request. I'll even take a multiplexed model! Why don't you want nice things?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 01:20:20 pm by dos »

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2017, 02:43:55 pm »
People are colorful and different, its ok. However it is important never to include "it cannot be better because of n+1 reasons" types in any dev team ;)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2017, 07:59:38 pm »
Dark text should always be on a white background for maximum readability
This ^ I omitted to address.

Really......
A few minutes using a scope and there's no need to look at labeling again ever.
The LeCroy WS3000 layout is to the opposite extreme, white text on a black background that I personally can't stand.  :--  But that's their marketing/point of difference statement.

The DSO layout for all brands now is very similar and different functionalities are within menus that are dealt with using dedicated buttons next to the display.
The main controls are just that and the most commonly accessed and for even semi experienced scope users they barely need labeling IMHO.
The remaining 'main' buttons have clear to see labeling on the button itself and enable menus on the display that while negotiating give display indication of which 'main' menu that you're within.

IMO an hour in front of an X-E you'd have a very different opinion of the layout 'whys' and why nots.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2017, 04:14:11 am »
Really......
A few minutes using a scope and there's no need to look at labeling again ever.

Guess what, I still think it looks bad. It looks too busy to me with the dark boxes everywhere and the black border around the screen. The pink second channel stripe looks terrible against the gray. Test equipment doesn't need to be funky. Why are Rigol the only Chinese who seem to kind of understand this? And even they screw up like that retarded circular number pad on the DP832 power supply, but even that's more of an ergonomic fail, at least it's not orange or something. I think the modern Chinese idea of good design must be very different from the west. Maybe they should take a boat next door to Japan to learn some things

IMO an hour in front of an X-E you'd have a very different opinion of the layout 'whys' and why nots.

For the hundredth time I think the layout is fine. I get why everything is where it is and have zero problems with that. I actually think it's nice and functional. My only problem with it is that it looks kind of corny, due to certain color/material choices that have nothing to do with layout. If they changed some colors on the control panel insert (going back in time to original non-plus CML would be fine) and put back the good knobs 99% of my very minor complains would vanish. I still want one regardless of how it looks because it's a pretty good scope for the money inside.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:25:44 am by dos »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2017, 05:55:46 am »
Siglent was hanging to death when I was saving waveform data to flash drive (two different). I had to unplug its power cord in order to reset. How can I set wall clock time? All files I created were 50 years old  :-//

Tine of clock.
There is not real time clock in any SDS1000X series oscilloscope.

I have tested waveform data saving to USB stick. Used Kingston DTSE9 8Gb. Formatted using windows for FAT32 and of course only one partition.

Image, just need push Print and without any hassle like Owon image in png format is stored. No change in menu display or any other.
With Owon I need use Save menu. So in all image there is Save manu buttons in screen bottom. I can not save image so that there is some oscilloscope settings menu visible like in Siglent. Also I need do many things before it save image. After I press Save, then I need select what I save and I select image. then after I push sub menu save after then come pop up window for naming file what also need push enter or multipurpose button on front panel. After then Owon start storing this 1.4M BMP image, and this process is quite slow. If I need do documentation during my work it is really terrible slow. Who pay my salary when I play like this.

With Siglent, just single button. and immediately it tell image is saved. No any button circus. (and I have touch panel screen what helps bit, but still total mess. Is this made as replacement for game console or is this made as serious tool for work? Perhaps hobby use user can accept this mess but for more serious use. Who will pay my salary if I am playing fun  with this. There is good things also in Owon but UI is really mess what makes real useability really to lower class bottom. Small things but important things.

Siglent also, its UI and overall useability  is far better but not at all perfect.

Side note:
Every company in China, including Taiwan island, need learn lot of for ergonomy, useability and industrial developer of the product outlook design. They all are  terrible or horrible if look critically these designs.
But, also it need kindly understand that Chinese industrial design is very very young in this T&M instruments area. They are like childrends. Some, example Tek or HP, have done these industrial designs tens of years. They have inside house long history for develop good hardware ergonomy and also software made UI ergonomy (exept some times now it looks like they start forget - dementia perhaps due to old age).
In some old HP oscilloscopes UI is really near perfectionism. examples in some ancient 54xxx series (with these limits what this era FW make possible). How these young just more or less short time ago started companies can do this same.
If want know more just read all HP journals from beginning. Design philosophy is there (but not only there, also other sources are availlable). These journals are like free high grade learning books how things in indutry need think.
Who is first Chinese company who adopt this design and innovation and manufacturing culture and start developing towards A or A+ class.  In A,erica they have started dementia and many companies actively try forget all good things. Like in Danaher and like in Keyshit.

And this, screen image to USB stick is what I do lot and this need really work fast.  With Owon it is not possible to do fast enough.heard from many people that screen dump is most frequently used save function. They have even Print button in front panel but no, this is only for physical printer.

How can they do screen dump like this.

Then waveform data.

With Owon, procedure same as with screen image dump.
There can select wave: BIN, TXT or CSV.
If I select 10M memory, save all and CSV. It is not fast at all. It takes long time (and in this, Siglent is even more slow but also it have no 10M selection, it have 14M or 2x7M)
Also TXT. Same. What ever it is. Also CSV is text. so what is Owon TXT vs CSV.   Siglent can also select BIN, CSV but third type is named MatLab.
Owon, screen dump. During save, scope acquisition freezed. It takes roughly without clock, say half minute.
Owon BIN save (10M, All) During save, scope acquisition freezed.
Owon CSV save (10M, All)  take coffee break. During save, scope acquisition freezed.
Owon TXT same. Take coffee break, During save, scope acquisition freezed.
Without thinking time or button acrobacy it works - mostly. But example now, after CSV save next I select to save BIN. Now screen small pop up tell that please install fat32 disk and make sure it have 4k cluster size. Just after it save CSV without pproblem. No way, always same. Then I try TXT, again, no problem but as slow as CSV.

Reboot Owon.
During this I also check USB stick. Now windows tell it have problem and need "repair" Ok, done. Perhaps this was problem? (no it was not problem)  Try again with Owon.  Again, same thing when I try BIN.  When try save there pop up  small window for give file name. I change this file name. After then it accept save BIN file what takes some seconds. Then after I try save BIN again, same warning FAT32 and 4k cluster.  Again. Change filename and it works. Slow. around half minute.

What a mess.

Then with Siglent.
Screen dump. Push Print button in fron panel. Just blink your eyes and its done. PNG is in USB.
(it can do also in Save menu if really want but also  there can select image type, BMP, JPG or PNG and if invert or normal black backround image. THis setting here is used for front panel Print button)
PNG saving to USB is really fast and even BMP is faster than in Owon. Who want BMP, for what as long as PNG can use.

Saving waveform data.  2x7M
BIN   fast, counting in mind, perhaps 5-6 second.
CSV  slow, go to coffee break. More slow than Owon.  Scope still do normal acquistion and display waveform but wfm&s speed drops some amount.
During save process settings can not chage but wfm is eunning and can still watch on the screen, unlike Owon what freeze display during save.
MatLab. Same as CSV.

I did these many times and all times it works without crash like you told. So please explain what exatly you did when it crash to state where ypu need unplug power so that it can report to Siglent for fix if there is error in system or if it is user error what can stop changing FW so that some things are locked from user during save process running.

It need note to some random readers that CSV and MatLab or CSV and TXT with Owon and Siglent or what ever brand produce quite big files.  Example Owon with 10M memory settings, save all (2 channels on) produce around 330Mb comma separated  values text file (filename.csv) Example OPenOffice or LibreOffice can not open these files due to big size.

Here small sample  from Siglent .csv
Total length is 7000000 rows data + header some rows including some information about scope and settings, (2 channels, both 7000000 sample.)

Software Version,5.1.3.13,,,
Source,CH1,CH2
Second,Volt,Volt
 0.00000000000,-0.41600,0.04000
 0.00000000200,-0.41600,0.00
 0.00000000400,-0.41600,0.04000
 0.00000000600,-0.41600,0.04000
 0.00000000800,-0.42400,0.04000
 0.00000001000,-0.41600,0.04000
 0.00000001200,-0.41600,0.00
 0.00000001400,-0.41600,0.04000
 0.00000001600,-0.41600,0.00
 0.00000001800,-0.41600,0.04000
 0.00000002000,-0.41600,0.00
 0.00000002200,-0.41600,0.00
 0.00000002400,-0.41600,0.04000

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 06:51:19 am by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2017, 08:14:52 am »
The LeCroy WS3000 layout is to the opposite extreme, white text on a black background that I personally can't stand.  :--  But that's their marketing/point of difference statement.

No, it's not a 'marketing thing' or some kind of statement, it's simple science: white text on black background simply provides the maximum contrast which helps readability in pretty much every lighting situation.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2017, 04:42:25 pm »

No, it's not a 'marketing thing' or some kind of statement, it's simple science: white text on black background simply provides the maximum contrast which helps readability in pretty much every lighting situation.
And yet every PC application and website uses dark text on (semi) white background. I have fitted several instruments with TFT screens and I always used the chance to have dark text (or traces) on a white background because it is easier to the eyes. AFAIK the whole white on dark color schemes we see today stem from the CRT era where white on dark works better because of the CRT tube.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2017, 07:23:44 pm »
And yet every PC application and website uses dark text on (semi) white background.

Yes, after decades with computers and terminals using white/orange/green text on dark backgrounds.

And dark on bright was done (even in the CRT age!) because it resembled text on paper, and also because the bright background acts as a light source (much more so than what white text on black background would have done) which can help in certain lighting situations.

Many websites use mostly light designs for cosmetical and psychological reasons (not always successful, mind you).

But since this is about scopes, I guess must have missed the masses of modern scopes showing dark traces on white backgrounds then ;)

I have fitted several instruments with TFT screens and I always used the chance to have dark text (or traces) on a white background because it is easier to the eyes. AFAIK the whole white on dark color schemes we see today stem from the CRT era where white on dark works better because of the CRT tube.

It doesn't, dark on white was available long before CRTs have been replaced with LCD technology.

Dark on bright is great as long as there's a certain amount of dark content (i.e. text). But bright on dark is generally easier where the actual content (i.e. text, a waveform) is relatively small compared to the screen area and can get lost/overlooked easily, which is exactly why most test instruments come with a bright on dark scheme.

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2017, 09:03:59 pm »
I tend to prefer light on dark when it's a trace on a glowing screen, but the inverse on things that don't glow like control panels. On my 1072CML you can choose to have a dark trace on a white background (like some older Tek DSOs with LCD screens) or the normal light trace on a dark background and I always choose the latter. For text on a screen I can go either way, my IRC client and command prompts are set up with light on dark but websites look better to me with dark on light, who knows why.

Offline olehTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2017, 02:36:13 am »
Got a 500Mhz probe today with a configuration pin. Owon properly recognized x10 mode like a big boy  :-+. Siglent does not have this function  :--.  It is not as important, just interesting.

Also, I finished two more tests:

1. Alternating trigger.

Two scopes have absolutely different approach:
a). Siglent triggers at opposite edges of pulse and alternates frames. One after another. That make scope screen flickering at slow sweeps, like 60 Hz. The flickering is visible even with a 1 kHz signal. Siglent cannot trigger on signals from CH1 and CH2 separately and simultaneously. For example CH1 - positive edge, CH2- negative edge.
b). Owon triggers from two separate channels simultaneously, showing two separate waveforms.
Maybe Siglent is better and easier for students to demonstrate how alternating triggering works, but Owon's implementation is more practical.

I created a simple test bench using 2000 PPR encoder from China. Lets watch this on video:

2. Color gradient.
In this test I compared how two scopes show complex video signal with enabled color gradients and disabled persistence (the persistence is still there because of finite performance) . I don't know who likes what, but Siglent's screen is not very informative and looks like blue noisy mess.

Here is a video:

And a photo with a better view:

The following users thanked this post: radhaz

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2017, 07:58:12 am »
Got a 500Mhz probe today with a configuration pin. Owon properly recognized x10 mode like a big boy  :-+. Siglent does not have this function  :--.  It is not as important, just interesting.

Also, I finished two more tests:

1. Alternating trigger.

Two scopes have absolutely different approach:

2. Color gradient.
In this test I compared how two scopes show complex video signal with enabled color gradients and disabled persistence (the persistence is still there because of finite performance) . I don't know who likes what, but Siglent's screen is not very informative and looks like blue noisy mess.

Yes Owon have dual channel ALT.  Both channels trigger independently and both have independent triggers. Just like in older Siglent SDS1000DL/CNL/CML series. And even more, it have dual timebase dual trigger ALT.
But, now with Owon (least my version) do not have at all single channel dual slope alternate what Siglent have.

I can not do this semi EyeDiagram with Owon. My Owon version do not have Alternate Edge trigger at all.
Can you do this?  We're picking raisins from the bun  - as you want do from Owon.

Also you have not told anything about trigger time jitter and trigger time position errors.
But Owon have one thing! It have better TFT if look image. Owon TFT itself is super. But then. Why a heck it is glossy, I do not need makeup mirror, I need tool for look signal, not my face..  EDIT: Then other bad thing. It have cheap plastic surface...are they serious? Siglent have  real antiglare glass.

Previously I ask you do some automatic measurements. But tgis was perhaps not nice thing and then you happy jump over it. Owon can not do automatic measurements anything but just from screen data.

2. About color gradation. It depends many things how it handle color scale. Perhaps Siglent can adjust bit this color gradation "contrast" curve parameters. But, perhaps it have then bad effect with some other signal ans other speeds etc.

I can not look this with Owon at all because My Owon XDS3102A do not have at all color gradation. Not even good intensity gradation. This is one really terrible thing with Owon. No one know what version you get and what version can later get what FW updates. I do not want to beg for every FW from Owon.

Why do I have to beg and justify that I need a new FW. Owon's website says my serial number is incompatible. My job is not begging. I am sometimes asked that the intensity gradation works. They tell that later. After that I have not heard any thing. If they do not care what they promise, who care. I am Buyer, they are a seller! But, they behave as if the situation were the opposite.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:32:51 pm by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

• Contributor
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2017, 02:31:18 pm »
But, now with Owon (least my version) do not have at all single channel dual slope alternate what Siglent have.

This is correct.

I can not do this semi EyeDiagram with Owon. My Owon version do not have Alternate Edge trigger at all.
Can you do this?  We're picking raisins from the bun  - as you want do from Owon.

I passed the same signal to both channels. It works for many cases. For some cases we would need some sort of active repeater. I would make one using fast OP if I would need.

Also you have not told anything about trigger time jitter and trigger time position errors.

I checked, Owon sometime has offset 0.3-0.5 nanosecond. It puzzles me. I cannot imagine how they would achieve this picoseconds delay?

But Owon have one thing! It have better TFT if look image. Owon TFT itself is super. But then. Why a heck it is glossy, I do not need makeup mirror, I need tool for look signal, not my face.. Then other bad thing. It have cheap plastic surface...are they serious? Siglent have  real antiglare glass.

I have not noticed this problem yet. Still have a protective film on the screen. Siglent arrived without one, was it returned previously?  :-//

Previously I ask you do some automatic measurements. But tgis was perhaps not nice thing and then you happy jump over it. Owon can not do automatic measurements anything but just from screen data.

I did this test. Just didn't have a chance to respond. To much text was in that color-design discussion. Yes, I can confirm, Owon makes automatic measurements on-screen. But within a screen they are same accurate as from Siglent.

2. About color gradation. It depends many things how it handle color scale. Perhaps Siglent can adjust bit this color gradation "contrast" curve parameters. But, perhaps it have then bad effect with some other signal ans other speeds etc.

They (both) could introduce switchable linear - logarithmic - antilogarithmic Z-buffers. But I would not expect this during our life time span.

I can not look this with Owon at all because My Owon XDS3102A do not have at all color gradation. Not even good intensity gradation. This is one really terrible thing with Owon. No one know what version you get and what version can later get what FW updates. I do not want to beg for every FW from Owon.

Why do I have to beg and justify that I need a new FW. Owon's website says my serial number is incompatible. My job is not begging. I am sometimes asked that the intensity gradation works. They tell that later. After that I have not heard any thing. If they do not care what they promise, who care. I am Buyer, they are a seller! But, they behave as if the situation were the opposite.

Yes, support is terrible. I'm testing this also. But I don't expect any fruits. From the open-source community point of view, Siglent keeps their secrets better than Owon. At least, it is difficult to understand Siglent's binary data file format. It has huge 3k header and I didn't find any descriptions. Owon has several documents flying across the Internet about its data formats. And there are couple nice mod stories about SDS7102. I didn't see any interesting stories about newer Owons, yet... but internally they have some similarities around Tx-Rx and JTAG.
Architecturally, Owon has better memory layout. It has two memory banks next to acquittance FPGA and one separate bank next to Ti's SoC. All three are 128MB, if I'm right. NAND is only 128MB compared to 256MB in Siglent, but it should be enough. Owon has 16bit post processing buffer vs 8 bit in Siglent. That can be the reason why Siglent has that not nice color gradient.

Owon's can be controlled remotely over LAN or USB (theoretically) because included software cannot recognize this model name properly. But, though telnet it works. We can modify existing SDS7102 control and dump utils. This can let to control built in AVG and Multmeter, if anybody needs last one. Grabing data and screenshots remotely is also a nice feature.

On the side note: Owon is $360 vs Siglent $414 here for me (I saw $719 price tag in another place for the same device). And it has Multimeter and AVG in addition. And it has a big bag of bugs. $360 - it is much less than I paid for my wrist watch :) Very nice toy and a puzzle for a tinker.  Siglent on its end is better suitable for youngsters and students. With a "candy crush" color scheme it is the best in the class.

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2017, 04:04:52 pm »
And, finally, the last video of this season aimed to compare two lightweight scopes. After this one scope is heading back to its mothership.

As you can see Owon has some kind time-zoom feature which Siglent misses. History mode in Siglent cannot be a replacement, because it jumps between frames. And, as you know neither one scope is able to record frames real-time. Siglent makes normally 10-15 thousand frames a second. Owon can make 30 - 50 thousand frames a second with similar settings. But Owon records samples before and after the screen. It is very convenient if you want to explore pre- and post- history. We are not talking about split screen zoom mode here. Both scopes have this feature.

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2017, 06:28:00 am »
the Owon looks less responsive than my 5 year old 1072CML...

I mean it may have some really minor, nitpicky advantages over the siglent but why on earth would anyone get such a laggy scope in 2017. I thought we were past that stuff with the new generation of cheap scopes finally approaching Keysight style responsiveness. No wonder this guy hardly ever touches the knobs in his videos...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:31:02 am by dos »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2017, 10:42:58 am »
oleh said a bit back that the Siglent was "hanging on to death" while doing a USB save.  I own an SDS1202X-E and there were some issues with the USB drive but, after I applied the first software update, there have been zero issues using USB.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2017, 10:50:17 am »
oleh said a bit back that the Siglent was "hanging on to death" while doing a USB save.  I own an SDS1202X-E and there were some issues with the USB drive but, after I applied the first software update, there have been zero issues using USB.
I spent a morning on Monday saving screenshots to a thumb drive. For the record, one of those key shaped Lacie drives which are rather slow. No issues to report, it was quick. I used both ways to store data: the Save/Recall menu and the Print button.

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2017, 12:26:59 am »
the Owon looks less responsive than my 5 year old 1072CML...

I mean it may have some really minor, nitpicky advantages over the siglent but why on earth would anyone get such a laggy scope in 2017. I thought we were past that stuff with the new generation of cheap scopes finally approaching Keysight style responsiveness. No wonder this guy hardly ever touches the knobs in his videos...

I don't know what you are doing with your scope, but my idea was to use it for signal exploration and for storing waveforms. The Siglent scope from this thread has limited storage capabilities. It can store as many as 14 (fourteen) samples out of fourteen million available in the top sweep mode. It does that 6100 times per second (85400 samples per second) at 1Gs/sec sampling speed. With these setting Siglent captures 100*85400/100000000 = 0.00854% of data. It is not good. Of course, it has horizontal sale zoom but that prop also does not work nice. Siglent people invented their "actual memory depth", "fast" and "slow" acquittance modes, etc, just in order to make nice look and better sales.

But it was not the biggest issue what pushed me to look around for something else. Problem appeared when I tried to analyze chop currents in my stepper driver. I was barely able to see the signal! With color mode off the waveform was shown with too low contract (what the "superphosphor" word means?), with color mode on, the waveform was flooded with bluish noise. Hands down... My old 150MHz analog scope was giving better picture and better trigger synchronization.

I believe that with refined generator signals Siglent is much better but I need a device to work with regular noisy signals.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2017, 12:32:21 am »
My old 150MHz analog scope was giving better picture and better trigger synchronization.
You have a much more powerful trigger suite in a DSO.........learn how to make the most of it.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf