Author Topic: OWON XDS3102A oscilloscope unpack review  (Read 29890 times)

Offline OWONTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
  • Meet your best need
OWON XDS3102A oscilloscope unpack review
« on: April 06, 2016, 08:00:40 am »
Hello, EEvbloggers  ;D

This is Robin Chan from OWON Marketing Group. We are pleased to share the information of OWON's product with you in this forum.

These days, OWON will release video shows to exhibit you more aspects of OWON oscilloscope. The first one has release, the unpack review of XDS oscilloscope.

https://youtu.be/ZRSYQywZ5jk

In the following chapter, we'll show you how to use the touch screen in XDS oscilloscope. Meanwhile, if you have any comments or suggestions about OWON's product you own, welcome to discuss with us below.

Regards

Robin Chan from Fujian Lillput Optoelectronic Technology Co.,Ltd

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:25:54 am by OWON »
Visit us at http://www.owon.com.cn
or contact me through Skype:liuhen2972

The following users thanked this post: Hydrawerk

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: OWON XDS3102A oscilloscope unpack review
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:57:36 am »
Welcome to the forum Robin.

I like many others on EEVblog would like to know more about your products.
Please share your product range with us.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 09:38:04 am »
Robin is a game one , good luck to him .

The gadget looks good , hopefully it'll perform as good as it looks but confusing as the sds had a multimeter of sorts such as the voltage display but it might be a useful thing ?.
Soon

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:46:03 am »
:-//

My welcome is sincere, don't you want to know more about TE, any TE regardless of brand, hell I do.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 09:52:24 am »
:-//

My welcome is sincere, don't you want to know more about TE, any TE regardless of brand, hell I do.  :-+

Tech equipment? , ya got me foooked , if so yeh for sure , sincere me too btw ...
Soon

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:29:04 am »
Yes as others have said welcome to the forum, I am actually looking to purchase one of your multimeters the B35T Bluetooth Meter and if it's any good I will happily flog it to death around here, if it's no good then I will just flog it to death.

I wonder if they ever sent Dave one of their scopes as there was a mention of it in another thread, be careful of their website though it caused my TV to freeze twice and I could not get rid of the silly popup thing that follows you around, just ridiculous.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-owon-xds-oscilloscopes/

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 11:04:21 am »
Hey Robin,

The scope does look interesting. Is there or will there be a 4ch variant? I couldn't find a 4ch XDS3000A on the OWON website.

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 05:46:37 pm »
Meanwhile, if you have any comments or doubts about OWON's product you own, welcome to discuss with us below.

Thanks Robin, it is really appreciated that you've come here to help about these devices. Some thoughts first:
- please make these videos in fullHD at least; it really matters to see the device in details, the screens, the quality, etc.
- please change that horrid condensed Times font in the UI of the scope (which you can find on any boxes and users manuals come with the dirty cheap and low quality products from China). If it is a quality product, it does not help to prove that. Not to mention that this font actually bad as a UI font. Change that. Please.
- please try to be more focused and concise. It is enough to show the back of the product, we can see all the inputs. This video was pretty long, yet hardly contain useful information.
- please add more detail and high resolution images to the product page (including actual screenshots). The current page is far below any expectation - it rather discourages the potential buyers.

Thanks and keep providing the videos. :)

• Contributor
  • !
  • Meet your best need
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 12:52:46 am »
Welcome to the forum Robin.

I like many others on EEVblog would like to know more about your products.
Please share your product range with us.

Appreciate your welcome. OWON is specialized in Test & Measurement Equipment. Our product including oscilloscopes, signal generators, power supply, multimeter and clamp meter. More new kind of product is in research now, will release soon.

• Contributor
  • !
  • Meet your best need
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 01:06:21 am »
Yes as others have said welcome to the forum, I am actually looking to purchase one of your multimeters the B35T Bluetooth Meter and if it's any good I will happily flog it to death around here, if it's no good then I will just flog it to death.

I wonder if they ever sent Dave one of their scopes as there was a mention of it in another thread, be careful of their website though it caused my TV to freeze twice and I could not get rid of the silly popup thing that follows you around, just ridiculous.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-owon-xds-oscilloscopes/

Thanks for your welcome. You could mail us at info@owon.com.cn if you have interest and intention to purchase our B35T. Yes, we've been discuss with Dave and Marmad in the forum about the possibilty to do the review of this XDS oscilloscope. Pleased to get the positive reply. Nowadays, we've arranged the oscilloscope for Marmad to review in this forum. After then, hope we have chances to send it to Dave and do the review.

• Contributor
  • !
  • Meet your best need
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 01:09:22 am »
Hey Robin,

The scope does look interesting. Is there or will there be a 4ch variant? I couldn't find a 4ch XDS3000A on the OWON website.

Yes, 4ch variant is taken into project now, haven't released yet but you will see it soon.

• Contributor
  • !
  • Meet your best need
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 01:18:49 am »
Meanwhile, if you have any comments or doubts about OWON's product you own, welcome to discuss with us below.

Thanks Robin, it is really appreciated that you've come here to help about these devices. Some thoughts first:
- please make these videos in fullHD at least; it really matters to see the device in details, the screens, the quality, etc.
- please change that horrid condensed Times font in the UI of the scope (which you can find on any boxes and users manuals come with the dirty cheap and low quality products from China). If it is a quality product, it does not help to prove that. Not to mention that this font actually bad as a UI font. Change that. Please.
- please try to be more focused and concise. It is enough to show the back of the product, we can see all the inputs. This video was pretty long, yet hardly contain useful information.
- please add more detail and high resolution images to the product page (including actual screenshots). The current page is far below any expectation - it rather discourages the potential buyers.

Thanks and keep providing the videos. :)

Thanks for your advise, we'll absorb your feedback and improve our video and products.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 02:08:08 am »
Thank you for the review.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 02:11:42 am »

The video is 720p HD, it is quite OK.

Offline The Electrician

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 11:33:25 pm »
Did anybody else notice that this scope is available with 12 bit vertical resolution:

http://www.owon.com.hk/products.asp?ParentID=57&SortID=87

Does anybody else in the low cost scope market have that?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 06:59:25 am »
Did anybody else notice that this scope is available with 12 bit vertical resolution:

As you can see this thread name have XDS3102A and it is 12 bit version.
Also here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-owon-xds-oscilloscopes/25/
is handled more about 12bit. Using forum search you can find more.
EV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: OWON

• Contributor
  • !
  • Meet your best need
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 12:56:51 am »

As you can see this thread name have XDS3102A and it is 12 bit version.
Also here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-owon-xds-oscilloscopes/25/
is handled more about 12bit. Using forum search you can find more.

Thanks for explaining.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 02:39:39 am »
Hello Robin,

Please consider to move the buttons below the screen of the oscilloscope a bit more up towards the screen.

It seems that the buttons below the screen are almost touching the ground.

Why are they not vertically centered between screen and bottom, or at least closer to the screen?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 04:38:12 am »
Hello Robin,

Please consider to move the buttons below the screen of the oscilloscope a bit more up towards the screen.

It seems that the buttons below the screen are almost touching the ground.

Why are they not vertically centered between screen and bottom, or at least closer to the screen?

How much you have used it in practice? I have used it quite lot, several months and I do not feel any kind of problems with buttons under screen. Also used with and without front legs. Also after your message I have tested it with many kind of situations and try also some different way to position my hands and fingers because different users. Personally I do not find any problem. I have never feel "why they are not bit more upper". 
I do not know how much this, "optional 1024 x 768 pixels IPS display", has contributed to the design.

What feels bad is cosmetic things. Front panel "figures" are just terrible. Who hell have used his pen for these lines and angles. Please do not copy anything from Rigol. If want some kind of professional serious tool outlook please ask help from some. These "modern" deasigns looks like from toyfactory. And there Owon is not alone. In this toylook group there is many starting from Keysight, Tektronix etc. Sad. I really do not want my lab is like hongkong market street with thousends of different colors and figures.  Clothes marketing may need fashion trends. Is is same with test and measurement lab equipments. Imho - No, no and no.

Attached one image. No need quess which one do not never come inside my workshop or house.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:29:49 am by rf-loop »
EV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: F5D

Offline F5D

• F5D @ SoundCloud
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 05:53:06 am »
What feels bad is cosmetic things. Front panel "figures" are just terrible. Who hell have used his pen for these lines and angles. Please do not copy anything from Rigol. If want some kind of professional serious tool outlook please ask help from some. These "modern" deasigns looks like from toyfactory. And there Owon is not alone. In this toylook group there is many starting from Keysight, Tektronix etc. Sad. I really do not want my lab is like hongkong market street with thousends of different colors and figures.
I fully agree. I actually find it a little bit strange how different people feel about some product's design. I am really surprised that for example Dave prefers the Rigol design over many simpler designs. I would never ever buy any Rigol, no matter how good specs, because they look just too messy overall. The new Siglent 2000-series on the other hand is quite close to perfect in looks. I really care about how my equipment looks. I simply do not want ugly equipment on my bench. The button layout does not need to be too complicated. Avoiding too many colors and shapes leads to more professional look. This Owon has potential to look great. It is not a Rigol yet, luckily, but I would possibly remove the blue stripes from the knobs and the grey "corner grapchics" of various sections. In some cases they do not have any function, even a printed title in them. Otherwise, quite ok.

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 06:25:11 am »
I will be a user of this scope in a week or so. I'll let you know how I like those bottom buttons. >:D

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 06:33:09 am »
This Owon has potential to look great. It is not a Rigol yet, luckily, but I would possibly remove the blue stripes from the knobs and the grey "corner grapchics" of various sections. In some cases they do not have any function, even a printed title in them.

Exactly.

Perhaps there is also some cultural things. Chinese figure and specially color world is very different. Of course they are blind to these, same as we are blind for things where we have born. Now they have loosed totally road because they do not know what to do.  Some times they try mix chinese and western. Some times they think western want some "fashion trend". Perhaps with clothes etc but not laboratory equipments. They are tools, they are working tools, they are not for "decorating" working room.  Agen, I do not want my lab is like Shanghai or Honkong market street with thousends of different screaming images and colors and blinking lights etc.

Perhaps I'm too conservative. I have born over 60 year ago and live with 70, 80, 90 era  Hewlett-Packard and Tektronix (where I like HP outlook design bit better than Tek. Also both have made big mistakes some times. There are also many other good designs.
Also this outlook/ergonomy design is not money question nearly at all. But it need experiece, it need more experience - also knowledge about human physiology and so on.  But, chinese do not have experience. Because they do not have history with developing higher grade equipments. Who ever read whole set of HP journals may understand how long road it is...  But in China nearly total lack of experience about good industrial useability design. Why. Just because they have just 10-20 years ago born and with new bit more quality electronics they have been even less time.  Also lack of real product quality thinking is - where. Something is started going better but far away from real ok (but there come also price). They are like young "childrens" in these things. I hope they do not feel bad with my words. It is not only negative. Old fox can learn but do not easy change...  young children can learn and very flexible develop better.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:35:36 am by rf-loop »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 11:44:13 pm »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 05:13:56 am »
Hmmm... I like color-coding. Colored buttons are a lot easier to see and remember than sometimes arbitrary labels. Everytime I use, say, my scope, I end up squinting and re-learning what "F7" means.

I like the tri-colored Rigol PSU, personally... But if it ever malfunctioned, I'd curse it out for being overly complicated, simply based on the display. :-DD

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 12:03:40 pm »
Yes, I also agree that the older design of the Rigol power supply looked much better and much more professional!

If Rigol is reading this, please move back to your old design! :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf