Author Topic: Anyone have intermittent problems with the BM235?  (Read 466 times)

Offline tweeksTopic starter

Anyone have intermittent problems with the BM235?
« on: February 18, 2023, 06:31:13 am »
I love the show.. (long term fan).. and so picked up a blue branded BM235 a few years back (just after Dave offered them).. and also on his recommenddation, picked up a few $25 ANENG AN8008 meters.. The ANENG's are still working flawlessly.. but my EEVblog branded BM235 I got (with the full branded case and extra leads kit) is really starting to act quirky.  Just turning it on, it will sometimes blink on and off,quickly blink through various voltage ranges, turn off & back on.. like there's some kind of serious mechanical instability or something.  I swapped out the batteries just to be sure, but no change.

To say this meter (one of my nicer ones) is "lightly used" is an understatement.  I use it maybe once  year.. since my older Rat Shack meter is always on my bench.. and one of my ANENG's are always close at hand, and faster to use (since I just wrap the leads around them and toss them in the toolbox).. ironically enough.

Anyway.. anyone seen this kind of issue with the BM235s?

I cna take a video of it misbehaving if anyone wants to see it.

I saw the tear down of the unit with the bad SMT inductor.. I haven't done a visual inspection yet.. but I can if folks want me to.

Lemme know what you all know about the long term reliability of these meters.

Thanks!

T.Weeks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf