Author Topic: Owon OW18E app does not work. Suggest another app or meter?  (Read 871 times)

Offline Sparky FaradayTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I just got OW18E for data logging charge/discharge voltage in hybrid auto traction batteries.

Unfortunately the app and the meter do not work well together. I cannot set the sample periods or length of the recording.

It's a $50 meter but the app is useless. Does anyone have a suggestion for a DMM that does data logging with a working app or viable USB link? Prefer Mac but windoze ok. Better yet onto a flash drive. Too much to wsh for?

I would have used my Siglent scope but the time base doesn't stretch into 24 hours. It would have been perfect.

Thanks
Sparks

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Owon OW18E app does not work. Suggest another app or meter?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 10:00:49 pm »
I would have used my Siglent scope but the time base doesn't stretch into 24 hours. It would have been perfect.
Which model ?
The recently added Logging feature in SDS11/1204X-E does 24hrs IIRC.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 01:16:29 am »
Which model ?

I'm looking at the Update. I assume that will break the hack to 200mhz.

Gracias
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 01:45:28 am by Sparky Faraday »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 02:25:40 am »
Which model ?

I'm looking at the Update.
It consists of 2 parts, an OS and FW update. Be sure to do both.
I assume that will break the hack to 200mhz.
What hack, all you did was unofficially install official license codes so FW installs don't affect it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 02:30:49 am »
Which model ?
I'm looking at the Update.
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/document/Data%20Logger%20of%20SDS%20Application%20Notes_EN01A.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline shabaz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 03:12:01 am »
Hi,

I've not seen that Owon multimeter before, but it looks extremely similar to the Multicomp MP730624.
I wrote my own app for the MP meter, and it supports logging, however, it just logs to the display, in a web browser, in a pseudo-CSV format (it is pure CSV if you ignore the first few lines).

It works with Mac, Windows, and mobile devices.

It is possible to copy the entire log (i.e., CTRL-A followed by CTRL-C) and paste it into Notepad or any text document.

I don't know if the app will work with the Owon meter, but it might be worth a shot. Click here to run the app: https://shabaz123.github.io/MP730624_tools/ble-multimeter-app/ , and then press the "Meter Select" icon.

There's a 3-minute video explaining it, and there are links to more information there too:

There's no option to control the logging rate, it just logs at the speed of the meter (perhaps three measurements per second) and each measurement is timestamped by the PC or mobile device. However, if you wish to log for very long periods of time, you may wish to edit the code to (say) only log 1-in-180 measurements, which would result in about one measurement per minute. That would be easy to do in JavaScript, it's just a couple of lines of code to count arriving measurements and drop all unwanted ones.

If you require logging directly to file, I don't know of a way to do that (I'm not a web developer, it was a stretch for me to write the current app), perhaps others know how.
If it doesn't work at all, I'm afraid I cannot help, since I only have tested with the MP730624 meter, not the Owon one. But there's a possibility it may work, since the MP.. meter looks like a rebadged Owon.
Also, I have not tested the app for long periods of logging; it would definitely be recommended to trial the app with a dry run before running any important tests that need to be logged.
If the app does work in any way, and if you have any feedback, good or bad, please let me know.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 03:20:34 am by shabaz »

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2023, 06:35:37 pm »
Thank you for your help, everyone.

It occured to me the apps may not be working because of the mandatory T-Mobile Android updates which now has my phone running Android 13 and I can't go back. And indeed that was the case.

The software for the Owon meter runs fine on Android 9 on my old Moto X4 phone. I was able to accomplish my job. There are 3 Android apps - Imeter, MultimeterBLE (the one I used) and Owon multimeter.

As for the Sig 1204X-E scope: I was able to update the firmware and now I have a 4 ch data logger. So thanks for that information. I found a site that can convert the .sig binary data file into .csv but haven't tried it yet but it should be ok.

Again,
Thank you and apologies for the double post.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2023, 06:37:17 pm »
I just did the firmware as the os was compatible with it.
Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf