Author Topic: OWON ODP3063 Power Supply (First Impressions)  (Read 9533 times)

Offline xbayTopic starter

OWON ODP3063 Power Supply (First Impressions)
« on: September 01, 2017, 02:15:24 pm »
I have been looking for a lab power supply for a long time. I did not want to get Rigol dp832 because it was too long for my desk. This owon thing is a new supply but unfortunately there is no review or opinion about this power supplies on the net. I just wanted to give it a try. Yes it was an expensive try but it was still much cheaper than the rigol dp832 in my country, and owon was 6 amp and 1mv resolution. It seemed worth to give it a try. And I decided to open this topic so if anyone is interested at least they can find some info about this product.

http://owonchina.en.made-in-china.com/product/pXfJnQyAzUrE/China-OWON-30V-6A-3-Channels-DC-Power-Supply-ODP3063-.html

Actually I would really like to make a video review of this power supply but my electronics technical knowledge and my english is not sufficent for that. So I am just typing my first imperssions.

-Boot time is about 10 seconds
-Footprint is relatively small to its competitors. It is 35 cm long. Fits on my desk.
-All the soft buttons on the unit are responsive, but I can not say the same thing about the rotary encoder. It lacks sometimes.
-The screen reading angle is ok. I can read it at any angle without any problems.
-Under no load condition, the fan is not working. Below 3A loads fan starts but you can not hear it until you put your ear to the fan. Above 3A loads, fan starts to kick in. Louder than my Rigol oscilloscope.
-I dont have different kind of banana plugs. I only have one, and it fitted tight.
-Old owon units claimed to not to show below 150 ma measurements on the screen. But in this new unit I managed to see even 1 ma or 2 ma, when I connect a LED to test the ammeter on the screen.
-This supply remembers the last settings when you boot it.
-It has 1mV and 1mA resolution. I dont need such a resoulotion. But its free :)
-I did not like the control software on the PC. At least I can not resize the window size. It needs more work.
-I tested all 3 outputs on the scope. There was no spikes under different voltage settings and pressing the on off button repeteadly (you can see the pics in the attachments)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:18:10 pm by xbay »

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
Re: OWON ODP3063 Power Supply (First Impressions)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 05:42:55 pm »
Why is there a brochure of a Micsig tablet oscilloscope on the picture? :)

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 06:45:10 pm »
It was in the box. Maybe the local seller's another product which needs to be advertised.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 07:59:01 pm »
What is that apparently leather-bound thing? An instruction manual? Free notebook?

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 05:07:00 pm »
Agenda. I prefer it was banana cables instead of that  :P

Offline yaqwsx

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 04:56:38 pm »
I bought this power supply a few days ago. Overall it looks very nice, however, there is a strange behavior I observe and I am not sure if it is a "feature" or a bug in the concrete piece I own.

I think the power supply is not able to switch between CV a CC fast enough. When I set the voltage to 12 V, current limit to 100 mA and power an LED strip from it, the LEDs quickly flash on high brightness before going to low brightness and also the display of the power supply shows a current peak - sometimes it can even trigger overcurrent protection. I guess the change from CV to CC mode takes about 300 ms, however, I don't have my oscilloscope with me right now to do a proper measurement. Does someone have a similar experience?

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 01:19:57 am »
Did i see 3 volts of square pulses at the output  on the scope  no load ???   

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 06:29:10 pm »
Is there a big capacitor at the output of this PSU??
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline yaqwsx

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 08:47:47 pm »
coromonadalix: Could be more specific about tests you did?

Hydrawerk: It seems to me like there is one, however, I haven't opened the PSU yet in case I will be returning it (I am still waiting for my scope to do some proper measurements).

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 09:22:19 pm »
I replied to the picture where we saw square waves at the output with no loads ???  Thats pretty bad for me,  since i had problems with mastech smps psu's, i have returned to the old linears models,  my two cents.

Personally  I would not buy this model. Even if a schematic was provided.  Not impressed at all  specs vs price.   

Do some noises/ripple tests under an moderate load ??

Offline wpwrak

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 09:57:40 pm »
If I understand correctly what xbay wrote, the sqare waves were produced by turning the PSU output on and off. So that's just what one would expect to see.
The problem reported by yaqwsx sounds more severe. I guess a somewhat useful test would be to operate the PSU at CV with a reasonable load and then suddenly add a parallel resistor that drives the PSU into CC, and observe the curve with an oscilloscope. This should also show how big the output capacitance is.

Offline Hergen Lehmann

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 12:13:58 pm »
I've bought this supply yesterday - mainly, because the Rigol DP8xx is to deep for my shelf, the Siglent SPD3000 does not show channel3 measurements on the display, and the higher quality brands are way to expensive for my use case, which only occasionally calls for a digitally controlled supply.

The problem reported by yaqwsx sounds more severe. I guess a somewhat useful test would be to operate the PSU at CV with a reasonable load and then suddenly add a parallel resistor that drives the PSU into CC, and observe the curve with an oscilloscope. This should also show how big the output capacitance is.

In case someone is still interested in this matter:
With some reasonable load already present before and an additional load suddenly switched in, current limiting takes 10-40ms (depending on the amount of overcurrent) to kick in. That's not lightning-fast, but also not noticeable slow.
Of course, there will be an additional huge current spike due to the output capacitor, if the output was already active at a high voltage and a load is suddenly attached, as yaqwsx did. But this is to be expected.

A bit more worrying is the fact, that the current also overshoots, if the load is already present while switching on the output - the output voltage rises to the set voltage first, current limiting only kicks in with a slight delay.

On the positive side, the voltage itself nicely ramps up to the set voltage without any overshoot. The output also stays completely silent when turning the device on or off.

Side note: Don't try to remote-control the device using the english language SCPI documentation available at the OWON website. It does not fit this device at all. There is a better one at the chinese site (in chinese, of course, but i could at least realize how the commands are supposed to look).

Offline karadagian

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 01:33:10 pm »
Cant find the link for the chinese manual. Can anybody help with that? I need those SCPI commands!!!

Thanks!

I've bought this supply yesterday - mainly, because the Rigol DP8xx is to deep for my shelf, the Siglent SPD3000 does not show channel3 measurements on the display, and the higher quality brands are way to expensive for my use case, which only occasionally calls for a digitally controlled supply.

In case someone is still interested in this matter:
With some reasonable load already present before and an additional load suddenly switched in, current limiting takes 10-40ms (depending on the amount of overcurrent) to kick in. That's not lightning-fast, but also not noticeable slow.
Of course, there will be an additional huge current spike due to the output capacitor, if the output was already active at a high voltage and a load is suddenly attached, as yaqwsx did. But this is to be expected.

A bit more worrying is the fact, that the current also overshoots, if the load is already present while switching on the output - the output voltage rises to the set voltage first, current limiting only kicks in with a slight delay.

On the positive side, the voltage itself nicely ramps up to the set voltage without any overshoot. The output also stays completely silent when turning the device on or off.

Side note: Don't try to remote-control the device using the english language SCPI documentation available at the OWON website. It does not fit this device at all. There is a better one at the chinese site (in chinese, of course, but i could at least realize how the commands are supposed to look).

Offline Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 04:10:43 am »
China
ODP 3通道电源SCPI编程手册
http://www.owon.com.cn/softdown/Application/ODP3CH_SCPI.rar

English
ODP Series Triple Output Power Supply SCPI Commands User Manual
http://files.owon.com.cn/software/Application/DC_Power_Supply_SCPI_Commands.zip

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 06:10:34 pm »
My ODP3063 supply started having trouble turning on/booting lately and today it refuses to start at all.  I hit the power switch a couple of buttons light up briefly and then nothing more.  Nothing on the screen ever.  So something in the control processor or control processor supply is not working.

Before trying to send it back for warranty repair I thought I would take a look inside to see if anything obvious is wrong.  However, I am stuck in getting it apart.  I
   1.  Took the back plastic panel off
   2.  Removed the 4 screws holding the upper metal body cover
At this point the upper metal body seems hooked to something hidden in the front under the front plastic panel.

Do you have to take the front plastic cover off to get to more screws holding the top metal cover?  If you do have to remove the front plastic panel where is it attached and do you have to remove more than just the single front knob to get it off?  Are there hidden snaps or screws holding the front plastic cover on?

I had hoped to use the first post tear down pictures to see what is going on but as of March 2021 they are no longer there.

Any suggestions from those that have successfully taken the Owon ODP triple supply apart?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 06:47:53 pm »
If it is under warranty you are better off returning it. If they see the PSU has been tampered with you might not get a free repair.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nez

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 10:43:51 pm »
I looked inside my ODP6033 around a year ago.  I vaguely remember that I may have needed to take out the screws on the carry-handle on top as well.  I can check later if you need.

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 12:41:40 am »
It was the handle tying the top to a central "beam" piece of sheet metal.

I had already gotten it partially apart when I got stuck so with the last step I decided to take it apart the rest of the way.

No obvious loose cables, bad solder joints, or cooked circuitry.  So, I guess I just have bad luck.  Now to see how the warranty return process goes.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 01:13:17 am by gby »

Offline jordannedev

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2022, 04:25:33 pm »
Hi, I have a question about the power supply. I can not find in the manual info about button or key combination for "ALL ON/OFF"- enable/disable simultaneously channel 1 to 3. Does this power supply have this option? 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 06:09:07 pm by jordannedev »

Offline nez

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2022, 01:09:55 am »
I don't think the physical ODP power supply has any control for 'All On/Off'.  At a glance, even the built in Program mode seems to only allow control of CH1 and CH2 (not CH3), but the Program mode probably isn't what you would want in your case anyway.

If you have a PC connected to the power supply via Ethernet, you could try using HKJ's TestController software to do what you want:

https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerIntro%20UK.html
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/

You could use TestController's 'Outputs off' button as an easy way if the power supply is the only thing you've connected, or you could get fancy and make a custom panel or script to do it specifically for this device.

Attached are a few screenshots of what I just tried.

For the last image, I added the following command block to the device's configuration file:
Code: [Select]
#cmdSetup button All_Outputs_Off
:write: OUTP:STAT:ALL OFF
:update: CH1_Output,CH2_Output,CH3_Output
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 01:11:50 am by nez »

Offline jordannedev

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2022, 10:47:59 am »
Thanks for the reply.
I also saw the function for controlling all 3 channels in the programming manual.
Next Friday I will receive the supply and I will write some simple script in python to see how it works :).

Offline peter_mcc

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2023, 04:40:26 am »
I've got one of these and someone has broken off the ch2 negative output banana socket, making ch2 useless.

Has anyone pulled one apart and changed the banana socket? Any tips?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf