Author Topic: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG  (Read 242053 times)

supertrabuco and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
Re: OWON HDS 200 Handheld Oscilloscope w/ builtin DMM/AWG
« Reply #675 on: July 31, 2023, 01:28:53 pm »
You are right porter, the 2nd post when translated to English is this!

>Who likes a mouse cinema.

I'm guessing mouse cinema = small screen ?

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #676 on: July 31, 2023, 02:13:11 pm »
Regarding "Mäusekino" found this...

https://www.tuningblog.eu/kategorien/tuning-wiki/maeusekino-229048/

(Google Translated...)

Don't let the cute name "Mouse Cinema" distract you, because it's actually a tuning measure for your vehicle that was even available ex works at the time. Very small screens in the vehicle are referred to as mouse cinema. Most are smaller than 15 inches. But there are other definitions. Consequently, an illuminated dashboard is also called a mouse cinema. The name originated with the first Opel Senator/Omega, which was equipped with a digital speedometer. The experts said early on: "The cart is pretty chubby, it even has a real mouse cinema in it." The name mouse cinema soon established itself. Another meaning for mouse cinema is the LED instantaneous consumption display or the LED tachometer. Also the 21 x built bb Buchmann VW Polo Carathad this technique. There it was called DINFOS Digi-Cockpit.

and also:

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #677 on: July 31, 2023, 10:59:33 pm »
I ordered a HDS242 and did two tests on it.  I fed a 1V signal sinewave from my Siglent AWG and kept pushing the bandwidth up 1 MHz at a time until the voltage P-P fell to 0.707V.  Made it to 76 Mhz.  I then tried out the Leo Bodnar pulsar on it and used the cursor to measure 4.6nS (350/4.6=76.08 MHz).  For the money it is pretty nice.  It came with firmware v8.1.0.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #678 on: August 06, 2023, 02:49:38 pm »
Does anyone have problems with the single triggering?  First it doesn't say "triggered" or maybe it does but then replaces it with ready too quickly to know you have triggered it.  This would be in slow modes like 500ms where it takes a number of seconds to capture a waveform.  Also, sometimes it doesn't trigger at all, I'm just testing it with a rising edge set to 3V and a 9V battery.

Offline Shonky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #679 on: August 07, 2023, 04:34:55 am »
Here's a good one. Trying to figure out why an ESP32 board is not programming from Arduino IDE.

Single trigger at 500ms/division.

Zoom into 50ms/div - no problem.

Zoom into 20ms/div - what the?

Move horizontally and the last nearly 4 divisions show nothing, the Ch1 pulse stays where it is but changes slightly somehow and the rest of the waveform moves left.

v4.0.0 on a HDS2102S
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 04:46:29 am by Shonky »

Offline kru.czekdb

• Sędzice 23
« Reply #680 on: August 09, 2023, 05:34:47 am »
Can someone send me V8.0.1 hds272s .
Please.

Offline saresigi

• Contributor
« Reply #681 on: August 14, 2023, 04:59:05 pm »

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #682 on: August 14, 2023, 05:18:12 pm »
I made a suggestion to Owon that they express the vertical offset in volts instead of divs; they said they would pass it on to their engineer.

Offline maxmatteo

« Reply #683 on: August 22, 2023, 01:11:52 pm »
is there no way to disable the beeping sound? just looked around the settings and couldn't find anything

hds242S  HW V3.1
firmware: v5.7.1
Audio / Electronics / Web

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #684 on: August 24, 2023, 05:54:12 pm »
Does anyone have problems with the single triggering?  First it doesn't say "triggered" or maybe it does but then replaces it with ready too quickly to know you have triggered it.  This would be in slow modes like 500ms where it takes a number of seconds to capture a waveform.  Also, sometimes it doesn't trigger at all, I'm just testing it with a rising edge set to 3V and a 9V battery.

500ms * 8 = after 4s exactly

In single trigger mode I have the same issue in both HDS2102S (fw: 3.0.0 & 4.1.0).
I came here for a while.

Offline philippe_44

« Reply #685 on: September 08, 2023, 05:04:04 am »
Hi - I have a HDS272S HW 2.0 not used for a while. I as trying to update FW today (it's 2.0.1) and it does not seem that I can upgrade it. Placing a 3.3.3 on the USB driver and rebooting leads to an "upgrade error 4". I can't find any other firmware that seems to work as a jump off point.

Offline orb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #686 on: September 09, 2023, 12:19:41 am »
I as trying to update FW today (it's 2.0.1) and it does not seem that I can upgrade it. Placing a 3.3.3 on the USB driver and rebooting leads to an "upgrade error 4".

You can't do it. V3.3.3 is only for V3.X.X on the board.
I came here for a while.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #687 on: September 09, 2023, 12:50:18 am »
Interesting that there's a v2.0.1 -> v2.0.4 firmware update for the HDS2102(S), but not for the HDS2202(S). In fact you can't even select the HDS2202(S) in the model dropdown list for firmware. I wonder what changes there were from 2.0.1 in the 100Mhz model that didn't apply also to the 200Mhz model?

Offline philippe_44

« Reply #688 on: September 09, 2023, 02:18:56 am »
I as trying to update FW today (it's 2.0.1) and it does not seem that I can upgrade it. Placing a 3.3.3 on the USB driver and rebooting leads to an "upgrade error 4".

You can't do it. V3.3.3 is only for V3.X.X on the board.

argh ... that's sad and bad SW development (I'm an embedded SW dev). I guess that have done a few wrong things with their bootloader when version is 2.x is loaded. I'll see if there is any chance to reload the whole thing (bootloader+firmware) but I guess probably not.

Offline adamw

« Reply #689 on: September 09, 2023, 03:17:33 am »
Hello HDS200 experts.  I've have a HDS242S but have recently damaged it - apparantly by connecting one of the scope channels to the AWG output.  I didnt know that was a bad idea, and dont see any note in the manual saying not to do that, but it seems from Owon's customer support comment it was.  I emailed them asking if it could be inspected or repaired, and below is what they say, which doesnt make a lot of sense to me:

"according to our engineer's judgement, your device may burn out because of the wrong operation caused the voltage backfilling by waveform generator. I am afraid, it can't be fixed by repairs now."

I know its not worth wasting too much time on it, but It's been a good tool for me up til now and I'm a bit reluctant to buy another given the fragility and lack of support from the manufacturer and agent to repair, so I would like to at least investigate repair before I throw it away.

Anyhow, what I now have is in scope mode both Ch1 & 2 are pegged at the bottom of the screen, if set to 1v/div they show -4V.  The AWG works but outputs a very low voltage, like 0.3V when set to output 3.0V.

My electronics knowledge is relatively basic (I'm an automotive guy), but I thought it was worth asking here if there are any thoughts on what could be damaged as it doesnt seem like it is anything too major to me (famous last words I know).  I found a post back on page 20 of this thread where another user had a similar issue and found visible damage to diode D11 (BAV99) and Reg U6 (SGM2019-ADJ).  There is no visible damage that I can find on mine (I havent removed the shields though).  I desoldered the D11 diode and done a basic multimeter test and that seems ok.  I measured the output from U6 at about 1.27V but have no idea what to expect from that. 

Does anyone here have any suggestions what else I should look at? 

Oh, I almost forgot, this is a very early one - V1.0 board.  I havent had it all that long but I ended up with old stock it seems. 

Offline adam4521

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #690 on: September 09, 2023, 12:19:52 pm »
"according to our engineer's judgement, your device may burn out because of the wrong operation caused the voltage backfilling by waveform generator. I am afraid, it can't be fixed by repairs now."

Translation: they think you back-fed something into the AWG output.

Connecting the AWG to the scope input would not have caused anything to break. People do that all the time, you should feel free to connect whatever signal you want, so long as you respect the voltage limits of the input (derated for very high frequencies), and are aware that the 'negative' or BNC ground is connected internally to everything else that is grounded inside, for example the ground connection of the USB plug, the multimeter etc.

It is possible, although not good enough design, that simply 'shorting' the output of the AWG could have damaged it. However, most AWGs are designed to survive that, for obvious reasons.

It's possible from what you have described that the input part of the oscilloscope relies on an offset voltage that is coming from a power circuit that also supplies the AWG -- so if you can fix the AWG or its power source then the oscilloscope may work again. Hard to do without a schematic, but there are a lot of experts here so if you post some nice sharp photos you will get some good advice on what to check.

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #691 on: September 09, 2023, 12:45:14 pm »
Is this thread about the Owon HDS242/272 scopes or the OWON
HDS2100/2200 scopes????  Hard to follow :wtf: :scared: :scared:

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #692 on: September 09, 2023, 03:08:26 pm »
Is this thread about the Owon HDS242/272 scopes or the OWON
HDS2100/2200 scopes????  Hard to follow :wtf: :scared: :scared:

All of them? They're all part of the same HDS200 series of scopes in 40/70/100/200 Mhz bandwidths with built-in DMM and (optional) AWG.

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Offline firepower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #693 on: September 14, 2023, 05:07:15 pm »
Received my HDS2202S today, on sale from Aliexpress for US$165.
 firmware:V2.1.0

Offline adamw

« Reply #694 on: September 16, 2023, 03:31:14 am »
It's possible from what you have described that the input part of the oscilloscope relies on an offset voltage that is coming from a power circuit that also supplies the AWG -- so if you can fix the AWG or its power source then the oscilloscope may work again. Hard to do without a schematic, but there are a lot of experts here so if you post some nice sharp photos you will get some good advice on what to check.

Thanks Adam, this encouraged me to take another look at that U6 adjustable reg.  I am now pretty suspicious this might be the problem. 

This is what I have:

And I interpreted that into the schematic below.  If I have that right, R78 is 110K, and R76 is 39K (does the underscore on the 9 mean anything?).  If I use the formula from the SGM2019-ADJ datasheet I expected to see around 4.6V on Vout, but I only measure about 1.7V on the out pin.   

So that made me suspicious.  With no replacement reg I could find avail locally, and a dead device with really nothing to lose, I decided to try feeding a variable voltage into the "Out" pin with an adjustable bench supply (set with a low max current).  With about 3.3V feed into that pin my CH1 & 2 came back on screen showing around zero volts.  Not sure why 3.3V and not the calculated 4.6V but I guess there are many potential issues with my diagnostic process.  Also I had run the calibration process earier when the inputs were reading wrong so that may have built a big offset in somewhere.  My bench power supply was showing 70mA when feeding into Vout which is more than I expected to see, but I guess it could be the reg trying to pull it down? No smoke came out anywhere so im hopeful it is just that reg causing the issue.  I've ordered a few so I will soon find out I guess.

Relevant bit from the Datasheet:

Offline Nu11u5

« Reply #695 on: September 17, 2023, 10:15:05 pm »
I bought the "Hanmatek" branded version of this scope (HO52, equivalent to the HDS242).  I was expecting it to the be the same as the OWON model, but there are a few unexpected differences.

From the outside it looks the same but with a slightly different enclosure (it tapers at the bottom and green rubberized material goes all the way around the sides).

The System > About screen lists the Hanmatek model name, but also FW v8.3.0.  This doesn't match any known firmware version from OWON.

When I open it up there are more noticeable differences.

First, the board stamp says "HDS200-MAIN-V3.3 2023-2-2".  This matches OWON boards, except the HW version/date is newer than others shared before (most recent I've seen is 3.0 dated from 2021).

Serial number is 2309xxxx, so I assume it was assembled during the first week of March 2023.

The other big difference is that instead of a removable 18650 Li-Ion battery carrier, it instead has a 124065 Li-Po 4Ah battery pack soldered to the board.  Interestingly, while the positive lead is soldered to the original battery carrier pad, the negative lead is soldered directly to the 3130 battery protection SMD output pins (I assume that's what it is - the face of the package is slightly melted  :-\ - but its in the same place as other rev boards).

I'm unable to check the Hanmatek website about firmware updates.  Since it was assembled so recently it's possible this includes the changes added in OWAN's May 2023 FW update.  I'm not sure if future FW updates will have to be released by Hanmatek, or if it will be possible to use the files provided by OWAN.  It remains to be seen if the HW v3.3 board is exclusive to Hanmatek or if OWAN will begin assembing their own units using it.

Has anyone else encountered this HW revision?  Has anyone had success getting FW updates for the Hanmatek rebranded units (from either Hanmatek or OWAN)?

Model: HO52 (Rebrand of HDS242)
Original FW: 8.3.0 [c1c4fd14]
Serial: 2309xxxx
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 12:44:55 am by Nu11u5 »

Offline agaelema

• Contributor
« Reply #696 on: September 18, 2023, 03:41:14 am »
Today, I observed an unusual oscillation while measuring voltage at 60 Hz. I was generating a sine wave with a 280 mVp to compare its behavior between the millivolt (mV) and volt (V) ranges.

The measurements in the mV range seemed stable, with only the last digit occasionally flipping, as you can see at the beginning of the video.

However, when I switched to the V range, there was a noticeable oscillation in the last two digits, as seen at the 0:10 mark in the video. I also compared this to another meter, which displayed stable readings.

In an attempt to troubleshoot, I changed the frequency to 50 Hz at the 0:51 mark in the video. Surprisingly, after this adjustment, the measurements stabilized, and this trend persisted at other frequencies like 100 Hz, 200 Hz, and so on.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a similar behavior with their equipment. Additionally, does anyone know if this issue can be addressed through a firmware update?

My equipment details:
Model: HDS2102S
Firmware Version: 2.0.4

Offline lupoal

« Reply #697 on: September 21, 2023, 01:51:52 pm »
Hi  :)

I've just received my new HDS2102S... it declares firmware V4.1.0... unluckily the official web site, at download page, seems quite bugged,I simply can't see any info with both Firefox or Chrome  :'( ... is the V4.1.0 the last firmware available for this unit?

thks in advance for kind help  :)

Offline Shonky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #698 on: September 21, 2023, 11:12:44 pm »
Hi  :)

I've just received my new HDS2102S... it declares firmware V4.1.0... unluckily the official web site, at download page, seems quite bugged,I simply can't see any info with both Firefox or Chrome  :'( ... is the V4.1.0 the last firmware available for this unit?

thks in advance for kind help  :)
I have the same version (edit: I have 4.0.0 it seems on a HDS2012S). The website is a bit rubbish but not "bugged" (I hate that term). There are many different hardware versions, so you enter your current firmware and it determines the hardware version from that and then shows the appropriate firmware. In our case it appears there are no firmware upgrades. I purchase mine in late 2022. There are definitely issues with it although I don't hold much hope in getting them fixed. See one I posted recently in this thread.

So a unit that's v3.x.x probably won't upgrade to anything v4.x.x. It seems somewhat that the first digit in the firmware is largely hardware dependent.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 11:18:59 pm by Shonky »

Offline lupoal

« Reply #699 on: September 22, 2023, 07:44:50 am »
you can't immagine how happy am I about the issues... before to buy I've watched many review/test in youtube nd nobody said a single word about issues and then... bang!... there are issues... WTF   |O

one question if I may:
- may I use the integrated signal generator to push a square wave into a cable, let's say an rca cable loaded at opposite side with a resistor between shield and core, and measure how the signal is after the travel in the cable with one of the channel of our scope? ... or I will damage something?
The user manual says: "To observe the output of the waveform generator, connect the other end of the BNC cable to the signal input connector of the oscilloscope" ... so, in theory, it should be possible to connect the output generator at one side of the cable, connect at the same side a crocodile clip cable and into CH2, connect at the other side of the cable (where is a resistor as load) the probe and into CH1... in this way may I see how the signal start, how is at the endo of travel, delay between? ... or I will damage something?
all the suggestions/tricks are more then welcome... I'm a real rookie

thks in advance :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 08:00:23 am by lupoal »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf