Author Topic: Overview of the Tektronix MSO58 8-Channel 6.25GS/s 2GHz Mixed-Signal Scope  (Read 33464 times)

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
Here it is guys! The new scope from Tek! Lots of work has gone into designing this instrument:

Watch it here: [25 Minutes]
http://youtu.be/TkSElXr202I

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, nctnico, dr.diesel, tautech, lem_ix, djnz, Amazing, Jacon

Offline Amazing

• Regular Contributor
Here it is guys! The new scope from Tek! Lots of work has gone into designing this instrument:

Watch it here: [25 Minutes]
http://youtu.be/TkSElXr202I

Thanks!  Now we get the real scoop.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Thanks for the intro - you mentioned you're traveling. I'm guessing to Hawaii...
VE7FM

Offline salviador

• Regular Contributor
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/mancio92M
Beautiful oscilloscope, perfect!
But I have no money to afford it  |O

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
that thing is humongous

do you think it could also serve as a fully featured pc (with the windows disk)?
i'm thinking stuff like matlab integration, directly program firmware and look at results...

I hope you get more time with this scope and do really cool shit because it's had to justify it with the usual low speed bus decode. The first application i thought when i read 8 channel was a DC to 3 phase converter where you monitor all voltages and phases... or complete monitoring of a multi output SMPS

something in the @blueskull area of expertise

very nice interface.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
But that great big handle on top - Pooch won't like it!

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Thanks for a great first impression video. It looks really like a great scope.

But the font size is definitely to small. May be it is adjustable in the settings.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
I just got the email add for this... and I'm already 8 posts late... Looks like they ticked all the major boxes this time.

Must Review.....

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
But that great big handle on top - Pooch won't like it!
A clear sign of the decline of Tektronix since Danaher bought it. If they can't be bothered to accommodate cat ergonomics, how are we to trust them with our measurements?  :-//
amidoingitright?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I posted this on the other thread for this scope, so will repeat for those who may not see it:

Ok, let's take a look at this and see if it lives up to it's marketing hype.

Tek effectively promised this would be a "game changer", and more importantly they pretty much implied that it would be a game changer for the everyday engineer.
The big touch screen, the channels, and to a lesser extent (I don't know why they undersold this) the performance.

Now, it certainly smashes it out of the park on the performance level, no doubt about it, the new ASIC's are very impressive as is the performance to go along with it, no question. Hats off to Tek for more innovation and huge R&D commitment in this area.

The big touch screen and UI (without having used it), ok, it might be bigger and have more pixels than others, so ok, we'll give it that for sure, but I'm sure that R&S and Lecroy will have a lot to say about the UI. And did they say it's the first scope designed from the ground up for touch screen? That's demonstrable BS.
But sorry, Lecroy have an Ultra HD external monitor option at (3840 x 2160). So for internal screen it's a winner, but it's not the biggest UI, that award goes to Lecroy.

The channels. Unless you absolutely value a huge number of digital channels over everything else, then nope, sorry, it's not a game changer. The Lecroy HDO8000A has 8 analog channels (12 bit) and 16 digital channels. Tek MSO58 has only 6+16. The Lecroy beats it for channel count for most practical purposes.

Now, lets get down to crux of it and play real devil's advocate, because it's likely that very few people will, certainly not the Tek guys here plugging it, which they have every reason to do of course, it's an impressive scope and they should be rightly proud of it. But ultimately they don't have to pay for it.

So is it a "game changer" for the average engineer?
Nope, sorry Tek, you got pipped at the post by Lecroy. The HDO8000A was released 2 months ago (without all the fanfare). Tek have caught up for sure, but it's not a game changing leap. Maybe it is if you need more than 16 digital channels. But let's get real, that niche.
But granted, it's a game changer for Tek.
But of course it's bloody impressive, if you can afford it. But in many cases it may actually be a very poor choice.

Like it or not, price matters. Most engineers who have purchasing and and recommending power at companies do not have infinite budgets, price matters. Often they have an overall project or lab budget and they have to make real value choices.

And let's be honest up front, when you buy an expensive multi channel MSO, you want mixed signal and the channels you paid for. 16 digital channels is considered industry standard digital, let's run with that.

Let's look at the lowest cost option, the MSO54:
$16,200 for the lowest bandwidth 4 channel analog + 16 digital. That's pretty high already, almost putting it out of the reach of most average engineers. But let's say you are swayed by the performance etc.
When you use it as an MSO then your expensive MSO scope has turned into a mediocre (in terms of channels) 2+16 channel scope. That sucks. It sucks so bad that's it's likely a show-stopper for many.
If I'm buying a general purpose MSO scope for the lab, then I think the MSO54 practically isn't an option, and I suspect I won't be alone in that view.
I therefore consider the MSO54 a market failure for anyone but those with specific needs on a reasonable budget.

The MSO56 will give you the standard 4+16 channel, but geeze, it's $19,300 for the base 300MHz unit. Very pricey. But ok, if your budget extends to $20k then we are at least playing ball now, you have my consideration. This 6 channel option could be a good seller for them.

For general use, the MSO58 you would  buy because you want are want a big number of channels. Ok, price usually isn't a huge consideration at this price point, but is it the only choice out there?, is it a "game changer"?
Nope, the Lecroy HDO8000A has the full 8 analog channels (12 bit) and the 16 digital channels. Two more valuable analog channels than the Tek. Plus it has external trigger.
The Lecroy external screen option at Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) beats the pants off the Tek MSO58 for viewing all that data, no contest if big screen analysis is your thing.

So let's compare:
- The HDO8000A is $25,800 (+ digital probes I think, don't have pricing). The Tek MSO58 is $21,200 + probes. So yes, base model is more affordable, but again, you sacrifice analog channels for digital.
- (Without having used either) The Lecroy Ultra HD external screen support beats the Tek hands down, could be a deal maker there.

And I'm sure we can fuss over fine performance details until the cows come home here, but banner specs:
- The Lecroy has 8+16+1 external trigger, the Tek only has 6+16. But tek wins if you need >16CH digital.
- Both have 12 bit ADC
- The Lecroy has up to 250M sample memory/channel, beating the Tek's 125M.
- The Lecroy has 10GS/s (on all channels too) beating Tek's 6.25GS/s on all channels.
- The Tek can go to 2GHz (with different hardware front end), winner there if you need to bandwidth.
- Lecroy digital sample rate is lower at only 1.25GS/s compared to 6.25GS/s on Tek. But probably no major practical difference for everyday use?
- Lecroy matches Tek with 125M digital sample memory option.
- I'm led to believe the Tek has more flexible digital input voltage range? +/-30V (<200MHz) compared to Lecroy's +/-20V (full bandwidth?). Needs more investigation.

So sorry Tek, it's an awesome scope, but it's not a "game changer", you got beaten by several months by Lecroy.
And yes, I know your response will be to nit-pick every technical performance detail, and go for it. But the fact is you got beat to market with an 8 channel big touch screen GUI scope, and you have serious competition which in quite a few areas outperforms your new 5 series, some of which you touted as your big game changing features.
But no one is talking about the Lecroy HDO8000A, why?, because Tek's marketing is infinitely better, and it's Tek.

The following users thanked this post: hans, smarteebit

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
LeCroy should send a HDO8000A to Shahriar so he could do a head to head comparison against the MSO58.

The following users thanked this post: encryptededdy

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
I will buy this 5 series Tek scope in 15 years on eBay, If i'm still lived until there I already saved one grand for that.

Really wonderful

The following users thanked this post: Free_WiFi

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
I will buy this 5 series Tek scope in 15 years on eBay, If i'm still lived until there I already saved one grand for that.

Really wonderful

I'm in a similar boat  ;D

It's good to see some of the resolution and UI performance previously reserved for very high end units to start working their way down, and it's great to see high res converters and more than 4 channels becoming more standard offerings in scopes.  "Game changer" gets thrown around a lot (they said that about the MDO too, right?), but I'm glad there's at least something to the descriptor, even if there are others developing similar tech.  In fact, it's probably better that Tek aren't the only ones moving in this general direction because they won't be able to just command top dollar for a generation of scopes because of a unique feature or performance and because widespread development of these techs mean some of that will filter down to the lower end for those of us that love useful features but can't buy a scope instead of a car....

We'll see.  For now, at least it looks nice and seems to work well.

The following users thanked this post: Free_WiFi

Offline velin_r

Ok, let's take a look at this and see if it lives up to it's marketing hype.

Well, if you buy scope only by specs - then yes, probably this Tek is not big deal.
If you compare another Tek (MSO4032) and Keysight DSO-X 3012A, you can say that DSO-X is better deal (1Meg wfps, 4GSa/s, responsive interface, cheaper, etc., etc.), but this is not the case. Keysight has many limitations, which actualy makes it sometimes unusable. Two major of them - trigger and measurements. The trigger is unreliable (especially in single and normal mode). Measurements are made only on the screen data, not on the actual acquired one (wtf?). The latter is.... I don't have words for it. I can go on with limitations, but this is not the point.
Contrary - the Tek has very reliable trigger and true measurements. It is easier to see runt pulses with advansed trigger than with huge wfps.

In this line of thought - combining the new user interface with other advantages from Tek scopes, probably this model will be very usable and worthy for its money. Will see...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:05:36 pm by velin_r »

• Frequent Contributor
There will be a full review. This is just an introduction.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I'd like to see if you can somehow slow it down (decode on long memory, large FFT, etc) to see if it is better than the MDO3000 and MDO4000 series in those areas.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
I'd like to see if you can somehow slow it down (decode on long memory, large FFT, etc) to see if it is better than the MDO3000 and MDO4000 series in those areas.

I can tell you even without a full review that it is not even in the same league.

The following users thanked this post: BrianH_Tektronix

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I expect that but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. It wouldn't hurt to try and push the limits.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
I expect that but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. It wouldn't hurt to try and push the limits.

I assure you that I will.

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
I posted this on the other thread for this scope, so will repeat for those who may not see it:
... The Lecroy HDO8000A has 8 analog channels (12 bit) and 16 digital channels. Tek MSO58 has only 6+16.

Hi Dave,

Where have you read this information about the limited logic channels. Actually i couldnĀ“t find it in their data sheet.
And they promiss logic probe would be possible on each input.

So it would be 8x8 logic channels.

If its really limitted to two logic probes that would be a shame.

Maybe it is if you need more than 16 digital channels. But let's get real, that niche.
My fault ... 8x8 Logic Channels as expected.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:30:11 am by JoHr »
The law of conservation of bugs states that the total amount of  bugs of an isolated system remains constant. Bugs can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, they can be transformed from one form to another.

Offline Momchilo

• Regular Contributor
So it would be 8x8 logic channels.
Yes, but the logic channels share the same outputs with the analog channels. With 8x8 logic channels, you would have 0 analog channels, because all 8 channels would be used for the logic probes.

Offline BrianH_Tektronix

• Contributor
  • BSEE | Tek Product Marketing Manager
... most questions have been answered on the other thread. I'll share some highlights, again  :-//

So many have loved this scope, its easy to use (new) user interface and more! I think whats been discussed here in the forum is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of features and capabilities.

It is the largest built in screen on the market at 15.6 inches and the highest resolution screen at 1920x1080 HD.
It is the first 4, 6, 8 combination scope on the market, and it is the only 6 channel model.
It's also the first scope that has the flexibility of the FlexChannel input (each input can be 1 analog or 8 digital channels just plug in the right probe), if your project needs up to 8 analog or 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, or 64 digital probes, it can handle all use cases.
Its also the first scope at 2GHz and 8 channels
Its also the first scope to have up to 64 digital channels
It has the highest sample rate (6.25GS/s) on the market for a 8 channel oscilloscope. (interpolation mode = enhanced sample rate, Tek can do 500GS/s)
It's also the first scope to have an embedded OS (std) or optional SSD that brings Windows 10
It's also the first scope to have 500uV/div (5mV Full scale) as a standard gain setting in its class. Only other scope is the RTO, but you have to purchase their HD option.
It's also has the highest waveform capture rate (>500,000 wfms/sec) scope on the market with vertical resolution higher than an 8-bit ADC. (other 10-bit or 12-bit scopes don't specify capture rate and are under 1,000 wfms/sec)
It has the highest standard memory at 62.5 Mpts Record length in its class
It has one of the best service plan options, with the Tektronix Total Protection Plan
It comes standard with up to 8 passive probes, where other 8 channel scopes like the HDO8000A comes with 4.
It has the highest standard sample rate for digital probes, highest bandwidth and lowest capacitance
It has the best passive probes on the market, at up to 1GHz, 3.9pF, and no need for that silly compensation adjustment tool. Its all automatically done, and compensation values are stored in a per channel basis. No need to ever compensate that probe on that channel again.
Only scope over 4 channels with a hardware built in DVM, AFG, and frequency counter.
Only scope on the market with unlimited number of math channels, buses, measurements, and reference inputs (and can load Keysight & LeCroy waveform files)

These are just the tip of the iceberg. The details behind all of them are impressive and many are market leading.  Glad TheSignalPath, Dave and others can admire a great design when they see one  :-+
Product Marketing Manager & NPI planner, Tektronix Low Profile Scopes & Digitizers

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
These are just the tip of the iceberg. The details behind all of them are impressive and many are market leading.  Glad TheSignalPath, Dave and others can admire a great design when they see one  :-+
Please don't put words in other peoples mouths. Dave said a bit more than that.
Answering questions and setting the record straight is good but repeatedly cherry picking from their comments is not.

and AFAIK Dave hasn't even seen the scope, you never even sent him one, so he has to go off what others said and the spec-sheet?

Offline BrianH_Tektronix

• Contributor
  • BSEE | Tek Product Marketing Manager
Answering questions and setting the record straight is good but repeatedly cherry picking from their comments is not.

and AFAIK Dave hasn't even seen the scope, you never even sent him one, so he has to go off what others said and the spec-sheet?

No words put in their mouths. Maybe I just like to look on the positive side  :-//

Sure Dave's giving his honest impression from the details he's read. He's had some good commends and he's had some 'devils advocate' feedback, all is fair game. And people are welcome to both sides. Working at Tek and closely with this scope does lend myself to a wide assortment of product knowledge, so i'm only here to help answer product questions. 

To stay on the bright side of advocating for the product i'm proud of the positive things he did say...  :-+

"I like the new scope, you've got to give Tek props for continuing to bring out new designs on what would have been a massive design effort on this one. "

"The Tek 5-Series is a great scope"

"And for the millionth time, I'm not bashing Tek or their awesome new scope."

"Don't get me wrong, I think the new Tek is brilliant, but I'm playing practical devil's advocate."

"Of course the product is not bad, it's a kick arse scope, I could gush on about all the great stuff for hours."

We're still in the process of sending the scope to other bloggers. We do need to have our best interest in mind when it comes to prioritizing the scope being shown to customers or temp lending it to bloggers. And as i've mentioned before, we use a variety of bloggers for different products. Dave's still in our rotation and we enjoy his reviews!
Product Marketing Manager & NPI planner, Tektronix Low Profile Scopes & Digitizers

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
I looked back at the other thread as I thought you had misquoted there, but you hadn't.
So slight overreaction, MyBad. Sorry.

And sure a bit of cherry picking is ok.

The following users thanked this post: BrianH_Tektronix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf