Author Topic: Oscilloscope Zoom Out Quirk  (Read 70299 times)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Oscilloscope Zoom Out Quirk
« Reply #525 on: October 20, 2022, 09:26:33 am »
Memory management and its options/guises are a recently added feature to SDS5000X in the FW version V0.9.7R2 before last.
It was developed in SDS2000X HD and SDS6000A.

So still not available on the 2000X?

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #526 on: October 20, 2022, 09:55:42 am »
I just tried on the SDS5104X and it does NOT in Auto memory mode but it DOES in fixed memory depth mode.

If you still got a MSO5000, try the same on it.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #527 on: October 20, 2022, 11:33:46 am »
Memory management and its options/guises are a recently added feature to SDS5000X in the FW version V0.9.7R2 before last.
aah interesting... so maybe it could be coming to any other remaining models featuring same / similar shared firmware platform? Or perhaps it requires a specific set of hardware common in those listed above? ^^

It would be an FPGA capture architecture thing I think, not the processor firmware as such.

That is correct.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #528 on: October 20, 2022, 12:47:45 pm »
If you still got a MSO5000, try the same on it.

I don't, Rigol wanted it back.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #529 on: October 20, 2022, 06:08:53 pm »
IF I remember it right, you can´t zoom out when auto memory is active on the MS5000.
Someone got to test it..

(Kierkegaard)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #530 on: October 20, 2022, 07:34:14 pm »

So still not available on the 2000X?
SDS2000X has been phased out. But no,the new Memory management featureset has not been implemented in SDS2000X Plus and TBH I'm not sure that it can be. However I'd imagine Siglent wish to maintain a point of difference between it and the 12 bit SDS2000X HD.

Dave, you have a KS3000 in the lab right ? With the feeble memory depth they have how far can they zoom out on a capture from say 1ns vs your SDS5104X in Fixed memory mode ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Electro Fan

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
(Kierkegaard)

Offline Fgrir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #532 on: October 20, 2022, 10:21:10 pm »
Dave, you have a KS3000 in the lab right ? With the feeble memory depth they have how far can they zoom out on a capture from say 1ns vs your SDS5104X in Fixed memory mode ?
Using my MSO-X 3024A, acquired at 2ns/div which is as high as it would go.  Pressed Stop and zoomed out until I could see the ends of the data.  Looks like it uses 2Mpoints for zoom out in this case.

EDIT:
Tried again using Single trigger mode instead of Stop and it had twice as much data, so 4Mpoints. Not going to upload another picture so you'll have to take my word.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 10:25:34 pm by Fgrir »

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan, tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #533 on: October 20, 2022, 11:55:58 pm »
Checked once the zoom out on the 2K HD:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-hd-12bit-(published-for-chinese-domestic-market-only)/msg4291393/#msg4291393
Yeah, nah.
With a fast timebase setting and only in Fixed mem mode how far (timebase steps) can you actually zoom out before the capture won't fill the display ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #534 on: October 21, 2022, 04:09:42 am »
My opinion is that right way to test it is:

Set trigger mode to Normal trig. Not Auto or Single.
Don't use Stop button. When normal acquisition is running just remove signal so it cannot trig anymore and cannot do new extra last acquisition with possible more memory (HPAK).
After then stop and zoom out.
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #535 on: October 21, 2022, 06:04:54 am »

Irrelevant to the discussion of zoom out capability. Now you are just talking memory depth. The answer is of course 4M worth at your current timebase.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #536 on: October 21, 2022, 06:25:15 am »

Irrelevant to the discussion of zoom out capability. Now you are just talking memory depth. The answer is of course 4M worth at your current timebase.
Also related to sampling rate.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #537 on: October 21, 2022, 06:46:03 am »

|O

Buuhh... of course zoom out capability need more memory depth than screen width when oscilloscope run example in full screen zoomed in mode. As they do when it capture more than what is display width without display splitted zoom. What is so difficult here and specially for experts,  engineers...  or even journalists of the (technical) yellow media, whoever.
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #538 on: October 21, 2022, 07:06:57 am »

|O

Buuhh... of course zoom out capability need more memory depth than screen width when oscilloscope run example in full screen zoomed in mode. As they do when it capture more than what is display width without display splitted zoom. What is so difficult here and specially for experts,  engineers...  or even journalists of the (technical) yellow media, whoever.

Chill out. tautech is just doing his usual thing of taunting me and doing the Siglent wank thing. I wasn't going to play the game.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #539 on: October 21, 2022, 07:30:29 am »
Play this game:

Leo Bodnar 10 MHz pulser, SDS6204A Normal triggering, Fixed Mem depth (500 MPts), ERES = OFF = 5 GSa/s for others to more easily play along, starting from 500ps/div in Dots mode, dots just visible @ ~3/div (png3)

Some 23 timebase steps (500ps - 20ms) before the display is no longer full from zooming out.

Maybe it is time for Dave to edit his BS about crippling zoom out modes.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 07:32:28 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #540 on: October 22, 2022, 12:39:41 am »
Play this game:
Leo Bodnar 10 MHz pulser, SDS6204A Normal triggering, Fixed Mem depth (500 MPts), ERES = OFF = 5 GSa/s for others to more easily play along, starting from 500ps/div in Dots mode, dots just visible @ ~3/div (png3)
Some 23 timebase steps (500ps - 20ms) before the display is no longer full from zooming out.
Maybe it is time for Dave to edit his BS about crippling zoom out modes.

No I will not play your stupid game by comparing a scope with 500M of memory vs one with 4M, bugger off.

Offline blurpy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #541 on: October 23, 2022, 11:06:21 am »
aah interesting... so maybe it could be coming to any other remaining models featuring same / similar shared firmware platform? Or perhaps it requires a specific set of hardware common in those listed above? ^^

It would be an FPGA capture architecture thing I think, not the processor firmware as such.

That is correct.
So the SDS2000X+ doesn't have a compatible hardware architecture for the new memory management?

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #542 on: October 23, 2022, 07:18:04 pm »
Trying out posting in the Oscilloscope Zoom Out Quirk thread with quoted messages from a different thread, so as to retain all context while posting in the proper thread ...

There is no free lunch. There is no data being captured outside set time. It is only that you can set time by obscure mental calculation (flying blind and calculating sample rate/ manual memory length ratio) or by simply setting proper time base in a first place...
You keep on repeating this but it isn't true. In fact for many of the measurements I do, I don't even care about time/div setting. And in some cases (like verifying protocol bitrates which can be off by a factor 100) I don't even know which time/div setting I'd need to use to get the signal on screen.

Well, if you don't care about the timebase setting then that means you can set it to whatever setting gets you the maximum amount of time on the screen while retaining the scope's full sample rate (or to capture however much time you like), right?   This means that, for these use cases at least, the Siglent approach will work just fine for you.  What, then, is the problem?

The deep memory simply makes sure there is always enough data. I make a measurement and twist the time/div knob until there is a visible signal. Then I use a measurement and / or cursors to tell me what I want to know. There is zero mental calculation and zero preparation.

OK, but you have to set the timebase to something.  How do you set it on your scope so as to get the maximum capture depth while also retaining the sample rate you want?

On the Siglent, this is directly visible, especially on the 2k+ and up.  The little timebase box at the bottom of the screen shows the sample rate, the memory depth, and the timebase.  This makes it trivial to set the scope up to capture into the entirety of available memory while retaining the maximum sample rate.

For the scopes you use, does it always capture into all available memory irrespective of your timebase?  My Instek does, except that I have to always define the amount of available memory (in points), and if I define it to be less than the amount the scope has, then it will simply leave the rest unused, while the Siglent will use the remainder for remembering prior captures.

But we have been around this before. It is like the eternal discussion about automatic / stick shift in cars. The thing is a good DSO offers both so everyone can be happy.

I completely agree, and I'm happy that Siglent has seen the light on this.  But how many offer both "what you see is all you get" and "a capture always uses all the available memory", selectable by the user?

Again: suggesting to use the zoom window is just stupid. Especially on the lower end scopes, the zoom window takes away a significant portation of the already small screen. It doesn't help improve the useability especially if you have a bunch of traces and protocol decoding enabled.

That's true on the lower end scopes.  The higher end scopes have enough real estate and resolution that zoom mode is very functional, even with protocol decoding and multiple traces.   If you're stopping the scope (either because you used single capture or because you manually stopped the scope), then you can use the full screen to move around and zoom in and out within the capture as you please.

I will say this: for single capture mode, it really should use all the available memory always.  This is because the history buys you nothing, since each time you press the "single" button it'll clear the history, so the scope may as well use all the memory for the one capture you're performing.  This is the one exception that Siglent should have made to the "what you see is all you get" behavior from the start.  Either that, or it should remember prior captures as long as the capture parameters (timebase, trigger settings, etc.) remain the same.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #543 on: October 23, 2022, 07:30:03 pm »
I find R&S, LeCroy, Siglent, Picoscope type of history buffers (that actually remember 1000s of previous triggers) much more important and useful.  That is the feature that I would take into account in purchasing decision. Why nobody speaks about that...?

I believe that's "history mode" on a Siglent. It's something you can enable/disable and nothing to do with the topic at hand.

https://siglentna.com/operating-tip/siglent-x-series-oscilloscopes-sequence-history-mode/

That's "sequence" history mode.  That's different from the normal capture history.  On my 2000X+, it's possible to appear to turn off the normal capture history, but it doesn't actually prevent the scope from placing captures into its history buffer.

Sequence history is part of the sequence mode and is for minimizing the trigger re-arm time and for eliminating the normal processing that goes into capturing, so as to make it possible to capture as many fast events as possible.

On the Siglent, captures always go into the history buffer.  As long as the size of each capture is less than half of the total size of memory the scope has, you'll have a capture history in "normal" and "auto" trigger modes ("single" is a different matter).

In history mode it makes perfect sense to only save what's on screen, it maximizes the number of waveforms that can be stored.

Yes, and on the Siglent, the capture history is always present (save for single shot mode).

When I press the STOP button, or use a single shot trigger in normal mode? It makes no sense at all.

It makes sense for when you press the stop button.  Otherwise there wouldn't be any point in having the normal capture history in the first place.  You have to stop the scope in order to review the history, after all.

But I agree with you on single shot mode, since it always clears the history upon invoking that anyway, so it may as well use the entirety of memory for the single capture.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #544 on: October 23, 2022, 07:47:43 pm »
Trying out posting in the Oscilloscope Zoom Out Quirk thread with quoted messages from a different thread, so as to retain all context while posting in the proper thread ...

There is no free lunch. There is no data being captured outside set time. It is only that you can set time by obscure mental calculation (flying blind and calculating sample rate/ manual memory length ratio) or by simply setting proper time base in a first place...
You keep on repeating this but it isn't true. In fact for many of the measurements I do, I don't even care about time/div setting. And in some cases (like verifying protocol bitrates which can be off by a factor 100) I don't even know which time/div setting I'd need to use to get the signal on screen.

Well, if you don't care about the timebase setting then that means you can set it to whatever setting gets you the maximum amount of time on the screen while retaining the scope's full sample rate (or to capture however much time you like), right?   This means that, for these use cases at least, the Siglent approach will work just fine for you.  What, then, is the problem?

The deep memory simply makes sure there is always enough data. I make a measurement and twist the time/div knob until there is a visible signal. Then I use a measurement and / or cursors to tell me what I want to know. There is zero mental calculation and zero preparation.

OK, but you have to set the timebase to something.  How do you set it on your scope so as to get the maximum capture depth while also retaining the sample rate you want?
You are overthinking it. Zen master says: 'Try not to find problems that aren't there'.

All DSOs except for the ones from Lecroy and some older Siglent models, allow at least to force full memory. And several offer an automatic mode. Maybe Siglent's change may also inspire Lecroy to rethink their memory management strategy.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 07:52:44 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #545 on: October 23, 2022, 07:52:11 pm »
I will say this: for single capture mode, it really should use all the available memory always.  This is because the history buys you nothing, since each time you press the "single" button it'll clear the history, so the scope may as well use all the memory for the one capture you're performing.  This is the one exception that Siglent should have made to the "what you see is all you get" behavior from the start.  Either that, or it should remember prior captures as long as the capture parameters (timebase, trigger settings, etc.) remain the same.

There is a common scenario where history mode makes perfect sense even in single mode.
And that is when you are experimenting, you tweak something in your DUT (analog or digital) and take single capture, tweak few minutes, capture that ... Now you have 20 captures over 2 hours. You go in history mode and overlay them, measure, decode. compare..
You can save them for documentation if you want then.

I to do that on Picoscope all the time, now I can do it on both Pico and Siglents..

EDIT:

No you're right, it does not...
I must have confused it with something that was discussed..
Sorry!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 09:49:57 pm by 2N3055 »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #546 on: October 23, 2022, 07:56:42 pm »

You are overthinking it. Zen master says: 'Try not to find problems that aren't there'.

All DSOs except for the ones from Lecroy and some older Siglent models, allow at least to force full memory. And several offer an automatic mode.

They all do that, allow user to force full memory. Some with manual memory settings and all of them with timebase.
My gripe with you quest on this is that you make it sound like you cannot do it, and not that you like certain way of doing it and insist it is only "righteous way". It's not. Timebase and zoom is achieving same purpose. You don't like that, fine. But it is there and the rest of us just use that.
That is all..

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #547 on: October 23, 2022, 08:31:42 pm »
Maybe Siglent's change may also inspire Lecroy to rethink their memory management strategy.

I think it was the opposite, our newer lecroys from 2019 allowing to change between fixed memory or fixed samplerate - before siglent did anything in this direction.
Now you have it on the 2000HD, 5000 and 6000 models and AFAIK because of the "new" filter functions they got.
(This could be the reason why the 2000X+ didn´t get that)

Btw, I hate fullquotes... ;)
(Kierkegaard)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #548 on: October 23, 2022, 08:41:42 pm »
Where it comes to Lecroy my point of reference is their Wavepro 7k series. When I select a fixed memory depth on it, it treats that as the maximum memory. The actual memory length it uses, depends on the number of samples needed to fill the screen. IOW: it uses some kind of semi-auto mode which can be annoying at times. It is possible that Lecroy's newer software is more flexible where it comes to memory management.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 08:44:48 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #549 on: October 23, 2022, 09:00:35 pm »
More or less....
You really can choose only between fixed mem OR fixed samplerate, no auto mode.
Both, fixed mem and samplerate, can be adjusted.
(Kierkegaard)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf