Author Topic: Anritsu MS2661C vs. R&S CMU 200  (Read 1011 times)

Offline corn11Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Anritsu MS2661C vs. R&S CMU 200
« on: March 12, 2018, 05:46:36 pm »
Hi everyone,

TEA got me again ... I've bought a R&S CMU 200 with a broken backlight although
I already have a working Anritsu MS2661C spectrum analyzer.
The idea was to repair the CMU 200 and replace the MS2661C but now
I'm uncertain if this is a good idea because the CMU 200 has some limitations
which turned out to be to some extent annoying/impractical.

I've bought the MS2661C back then to improve my skills on the RF side of things but lacked the time to really get more involved.
My plan is to use the analyzer for basic RF stuff, looking at modulated signals (analog and at best digital), design RF circuits, gain some knowledge in EMC precompliance testing.
The ideal SA I'm looking for has:
- a frequency range of about 3 GHz (the 10 MHz limitation of the CMU is a bit ugly but somehow ok)
- a low noise front end
- a small min. RBW
- to some extent built in demodulation (an external IF digitizer and demodulator would also be ok)
- measurement functions (basic and at best advanced)
- and also a (tracking) gen would be nice

My bench space is rather limited thats because I've thought of the CMU200 which has a built-in generator.
I know this sounds more like a task for a proper RSA but those are probably way out of my budget.
I've also thought about writing a kind of addon software for the CMU to correct some of the limitations but it is rather hard to estimate if this is really a viable option.

I've attached a little comparison table in which I've listed the significant specs of the two and attached the datasheets.

So the question is which one should I keep or should I rather sell them both and buy something else?   :-//

Thank you in advance ! 

*edit: I've decided to sell the MS2661C ;)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:28:39 pm by corn11 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf