Author Topic: Oscilliscope to use with unreliable power source (mobile lab)  (Read 941 times)

Offline Cowboyengine3rTopic starter

Oscilliscope to use with unreliable power source (mobile lab)
« on: February 08, 2021, 04:08:06 am »
First post, hope it's in the right area. I am downsizing and hitting the road but want to continue on with my hobby. Being in a travel trailer sometimes I'll have mains or "shore" power, other times it'll be a generator, a regular dirty one, or battery/inverter power. I have a pure sine inverter to run my bench Siglent SDS1202X-E but I'm curious if there is a decent PC based one like the Owon VDS1022I (dave mentioned it in the $350 lab and all the reviews on here it seems to be the better one)? Maybe a handheld one as space is at a premium and being able run one on battery power (12v) would be great, trying to fit my lab in small pelican type case. I'm  a newbie so beyond basic things I don't have much in the way of specific needs to look for.

For the rest of the lab I'm planning to use a 12v to 24v step up converter to run a 30V/3A PSU and a 24V/3A soldering iron, battery operated LCR, and I'm looking into a waveform generator kit.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: Oscilliscope to use with unreliable power source (mobile lab)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 05:04:05 am »
I think your best bet is to use a gasoline generator for 120V and be done with it.  Otherwise there is so much to remember and mistakes ready to be made.  I assume efficiency is not of primary concern.

I recently purchased a USB powered soldering iron.  It's only good for small jobs but is very portable and does well within its limits.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 05:07:35 am »
Its not a pure sine wave generator, would a modified wave cause noise or other problems? Sorry no info to be found on that part from what I've searched

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 07:57:15 am »
If you can afford it Micsig tablet scope is highly recommended... It runs completely on battery for 4-5 hours...
Or some of the handhelds, but those are going to be more expensive..

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 08:43:12 am »
The switching power supplies in many oscilloscopes will run on DC power:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/battery-pack-for-rigol-ds1054z/

If you can afford it Micsig tablet scope is highly recommended... It runs completely on battery for 4-5 hours...

My Micsig power supply says "Output 12V 3A" on it so you can run/charge the 'scope from a 12V DC supply.

I think your best bet is to use a gasoline generator for 120V and be done with it.

Very noisy/smelly, probably high EMI emissions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 07:32:49 pm by Fungus »

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 05:55:43 pm »
I wish I had enough budget for the Micsig, but  whatever I buy needs to be an even trade once I sell my Siglent. I thought about getting a Siglent SHS806 as its very similar to my benchtop model but $500 is too much
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:11:59 pm by Cowboyengine3r »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 06:25:02 pm »
What kind of bandwidth do you need?

If it's not too high, a used Philips/Fluke Scopemeter might be a viable option.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 06:53:22 pm »
I wish I had enough budget for the Micsig, but  whatever I buy needs to be an even trade once I sell my Siglent. I thought about getting a Siglent SHS806 as its very similar to my benchtop model but $500 is too much
All day long a SDS1202X-E is a totally better scope than a SHS800.
I don't imagine you will have any issues supplying the X-E with dirty power other than the local EMI from that supply.
These sensitive scopes can pick up all manner of muck if it's out there.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf