Author Topic: Offset present before triggering burst, EDU33212A. Expected behaviour?  (Read 804 times)

Online AnthocyaninaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
Hi! so, i'm setting up a burst of sine cycles, manually triggering the generator, and I noticed on the oscilloscope that while the burst was "ready" but not triggered yet, there is an offset at the output of -0.5v. I thought at first maybe something off with the oscilloscope, but probing the output of the generator with a multimeter, i also measure -0.5v DC. When the burst is triggered, also, instead of going back to 0v, it goes to -0.5v. Reading the user manual sections on bursts, there is no mention anywhere of an added offset inherent to the burst mode, be it manually triggered using the front panel button or any other trigger source. To check if there was an offset at the output, i then changed to the dc output mode, and when selecting 0v, it correctly shows 0v on the oscilloscope and the multimeter. this "resting" offset appears only in burst mode, and the signal properly swings to its max and min values when the burst is triggered, it just returns to -0.5v when the burst ends, and rests there until a new burst is triggered.

Is this the expected behaviour of a generator in burst mode? does this happen with other generators?

Thank you!

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
changing the start phase of the burst changes the resting offset, which makes sense, but one would expect 0° bursts to start at the 0v crossing  :-//

Online maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
Yes, this is somewhat the expected behavior of a function generator. It should output the first point of the burst waveform and come back to the same point after the burst. You are right that for sine waveform, setting the phase to 0 should make the signal zero. Maybe there is some other phase setting associated with synchronization of the two channels that also affects it.  Also possible it has a bug.

Speaking of bugs, there is a problem with square wave bursts on 33522A generator that as far as I know never got addressed: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilentkeysight-awg-fw-errors/

On some generators, for example Rigol dg800, dg900 series, there is a separate setting for idle phase.

The following users thanked this post: Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
Yes, this is somewhat the expected behavior of a function generator. It should output the first point of the burst waveform and come back to the same point after the burst. You are right that for sine waveform, setting the phase to 0 should make the signal zero. Maybe there is some other phase setting associated with synchronization of the two channels that also affects it.  Also possible it has a bug.

Speaking of bugs, there is a problem with square wave bursts on 33522A generator that as far as I know never got addressed: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilentkeysight-awg-fw-errors/

On some generators, for example Rigol dg800, dg900 series, there is a separate setting for idle phase.

Thank you, you mentioning specifically that for sine the phase at 0 should make the signal 0 as well made me want to try the other waveforms, and i found that they all behave as one would expect them to! and as they are displayed on the generator settings. So it seems this really is a bug, affecting only the sine burst  :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf