Author Topic: New UNI-T UT892 2000V AC/DC High Voltage Multimeter  (Read 13349 times)

Offline jhoffmanTopic starter

• Contributor
New UNI-T UT892 2000V AC/DC High Voltage Multimeter
« on: August 25, 2022, 06:17:47 pm »
New UNI-T UT892 2000V AC/DC High Voltage Multimeter

- 6000 Count
- CAT II 1000V/CAT III 600V
- DC 2000V ±(0.5%+3)
- AC 2000V ±(1.0%+3)
- WTF No current measurement
- $32 USD Only !!!

Is this the "Super Cheap Prodigal Son Fluke Killer" we have all been waiting for?

Please note that the YouTube promotional video shows someone wearing electrical safety gloves, so you know what market this "Fluke Killer" is aimed at.

[url=http://meters.uni-trend.com/product/ut892/]]http://meters.uni-trend.com/product/ut892/]http://meters.uni-trend.com/product/ut892/
[url]https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004225535194.html]https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004225535194.html
[url=http://youtu.be/yFToksKX2pU]]http://youtu.be/yFToksKX2pU]http://youtu.be/yFToksKX2pU
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 06:28:47 pm by jhoffman »

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
Re: New UNI-T UT892 2000V AC/DC High Voltage Multimeter
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 02:57:35 am »
Main inputs are only CATII 1000 or CATIII 600V, but also has 2KV input   :wtf:

I really want to see this on Joe's HV tests.  :popcorn:

Offline TCbystander

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 04:46:24 am »
All input terminals are then subject to 2kV, the highest rated voltage, protection tests per IEC :box:. The planner might be flying by the seat of his pants ::).

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 05:28:18 am »
Main inputs are only CATII 1000 or CATIII 600V, but also has 2KV input   :wtf:

You don't need CAT rating to measure 500V, 1000V or 2000V. Just that if you don't have CAT rating then no overvoltages are assumed, which is the standard case when working for example with HV psus.

Offline TCbystander

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 08:12:41 am »
Without a CAT rating, the 2kV function can't even be used on any locations of the mains including a socket outlet. Not to mention on the standard PV systems which are now CAT III. :-//

The meter is claimed to be CAT III 600V rated and 61010-2-033 applies. All compatible terminals are to be tested with the highest rated voltage 2kV for mismatches of inputs and ranges. I doubt they can survive. :o

Offline bc888

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 11:14:34 am »
Thanks for the heads up. But Fluke killer? Isn't the Fluke 101 going for @ $50US and was shockingly way up near the top on Joe's tests?

While browsing their site, this Multimeter, the UT196 "Solar Pro" looked interesting although I have zero knowledge of it. Will measure to 1500 V AC, and AC Current to 3000 Volts they say with a clamp add on. It suggests that they have discovered fuses I would suppose although given Uni-t's lack of sucess in Joes destructive tests.....[/cringe] https://meters.uni-trend.com/product/ut196/

UT196 True RMS solar digital multimeter is an ideal tool for solar power system maintenance. This rugged meter is designed for technicians who work in rugged outdoor environments. UT196 can measure up to 1700V DC and 1500V AC voltages, and 3000A AC current with an external current clamp sensor. This solar meter offers IP65 protection and able to withstand 2m drop as well. UT196 solar digital multimeter is designed with 1700V DC, 1500Vrms AC overload protection and tested for safe usage in CAT III 1000V, CAT IV 600V environments.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 12:27:06 pm by bc888 »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 03:48:12 pm »
Bot trying to sell UNI-T products?   

I've looked at more UNI-T products than any other brand.  The only UNI-T products that have performed VERY well against my tests were modified to improve their performance.  This included the UT61E and UT181A.   Both of these if purchased new wouldn't make it past the grill starter.   

If you are interested in watching me walk through the mods for the 61E, watch the following:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 03:50:45 pm by joeqsmith »

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 07:03:15 pm »
Bot trying to sell UNI-T products?
How does one come to this conclusion?

If you look at the official UNI-T marketing material you will quickly discover that UNI-T is promoting the UT892 multimeter for the "High Voltage Industrial Market".

A $32 USD multimeter for "high voltage" applications should raise the interest, if not suspicion in this forum.

Given that the UT892 multimeter forgoes current measurement capability suggests that any money that was saved from omitting current measurement capability might have worked in advantage to the meter's HV capabilities.

When was the last time you came across a "multimeter" promoted for the "High Voltage Industrial Market" for only $32 USD?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 07:57:59 pm »
And a smart bot at that!  Google AI is impressive.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 08:12:16 pm »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 08:28:47 pm by jhoffman »

All links are blocked ?
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 08:30:47 pm »
The UT892 looks like it's tailored for working with VFD's, hence the HV and LPF function. It just seems to be an extra 10MEG resistor array switched in on the extra banana jack input to get the 2kV range.
I'd dislike having to switch to a special HV range, and move the input jack for the HV range, gee I wonder what could go wrong there  :palm:
If your finger is near the normal input jack but you're on the HV function... surely no shock hazard right?

Overall I find Uni-T intentionally cheaps out on input protection, it's too bad the brand chooses to be fragile. They do know perfectly well how to do it decently as seen in their OEM offerings.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 09:02:10 pm »
I´ve got serious doubts about the 2000V range on a meter which costs "nothing".
I´ve started a thread not long ago because I´m (still) looking for a meter which can measure 1500Vdc at least.
Because we got a new supply at work which can deliver 0-1500Vdc and I don´t want to play around with HV adaptors.
There are very few meters avaible, like this here for example:

Beha-Amprobe HD110C

Costs more than 6 times, it´s very "bare" and got 1000V CAT IV...
Then the UT-892 come along, for 42 bucks...
I got doubts.  ;)
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline mqsaharan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 05:46:12 am »
I´ve got serious doubts about the 2000V range on a meter which costs "nothing".
I´ve started a thread not long ago because I´m (still) looking for a meter which can measure 1500Vdc at least.
Because we got a new supply at work which can deliver 0-1500Vdc and I don´t want to play around with HV adaptors.
There are very few meters avaible, like this here for example:

Beha-Amprobe HD110C

Costs more than 6 times, it´s very "bare" and got 1000V CAT IV...
Then the UT-892 come along, for 42 bucks...
I got doubts.  ;)

You can try one of their "Professional" IP65 rated meters. https://meters.uni-trend.com/product/ut196/
It has CATII 1700VDC and 1500VAC rated input as per specifications.
I have my doubts about their safety ratings but in the lab I'm sure it will be adequate.

Promotional video from the company:

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2022, 06:49:55 am »
And a smart bot at that!  Google AI is impressive.
yeah smart bot.. one example is... the-sv4401a-low-cost-vna-($350-usd) the impressiveness is that the bot can make hundreds of pages of VNA softwares + doing some rigs and testings... ;D i'm one smart bot that can make jokes and argumentations. whats wrong with bot promoting some new products? there are many bots here doing just that since the beginning, why the hate and bitterness to uni-t products? ;)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2022, 10:01:28 am »
The question is...

Is the UNI-T UT892 a good buy at $32 USD?
What are the advantages of owning one?
What are disadvantages of owning one?
What kind of person should buy one?
What kind of real world applications exist for such an instrument?

At only $32 USD it makes the impression that it might be the "safest cheap option" to measuring HV.

I cannot imagine that HV safety has been completely compromised in a meter that measures 2kV.

Being a 6000 count meter suggests (see attached image) that can potentially make measurements up to 6kV if no over-voltage breakdown was to occur in the internal 10:1 attenuator (2kV input).

I suppose you could construct your own 10:1 external attenuator to achieve similar results.

I love the "RED LCD BACKGROUND" to warn the user that they are measuring over 1500V.

P.S. The attached image illustrates this meter being connected to a 3-phase electrical circuit. It must be safe.  :wtf:

" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 10:42:32 am by jhoffman »

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2022, 10:56:17 am »
The New UNI-T UT892 2000V AC/DC High Voltage Multimeter is the real deal !!!

Here is a real life application how this brilliant piece of engineering should be used.
Source: UNI-T UT892 marketing video.

Look !!!

High Voltage wiring !!!

Impressive Red Electrical Safety Gloves !!!

I'm all wet between the legs thinking about this beauty.

Offline tomud

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2022, 11:15:52 am »
The question is...

a person wanting to commit suicide ?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:17:34 am by tomud »
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple neat and wrong...

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2022, 03:39:08 pm »
...  why the hate and bitterness to uni-t products? ;)
I do not I hate or harbor bitterness towards UNI-T.  I have certainly provided them with more opportunity to show case their products than any other brand.  That also suggests I have invested more of my own personal time with UNI-T than any other brand.   I've collected a lot of data.  We all know that data can be a harsh and cold mistress, void of feeling.   

I'm not sure what my first posts were about here but I doubt I was attempting to promote any products.  Seems I was more pointing out the idiots who where jumping their hand held meter's fuses with wire.   

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2022, 04:52:08 pm »
the idiots still around whether you like it or not... havent heard bots with emotions though, maybe AI got too advanced nowadays ;) since i already posted...

Is the UNI-T UT892 a good buy at $32 USD?
for normal household use, yes.

What are the advantages of owning one?
you have one extra DMM at affordable price.

What are disadvantages of owning one?
getting fooled that really think it can measure 2KV safely

anyone who dont own yet a DMM, or just want to add the collection, or who think has a thick skin to risk the life on 2KV with cheap DMM.

What kind of real world applications exist for such an instrument?
browse "normal multimeter purpose"

At only $32 USD it makes the impression that it might be the "safest cheap option" to measuring HV.
certainly no. it actually a red flag. but then with chinese ingenuity, anything should be possible.

I cannot imagine that HV safety has been completely compromised in a meter that measures 2kV.
it possibly is for $32 DMM. but there is work around other than the not recommended short wire replacement for fuse, you should wear safety glove and boot too. 2KV high energy is not something forgiving, sometime even any brand of DMM is not required in death equation.

Being a 6000 count meter suggests (see attached image) that can potentially make measurements up to 6kV if no over-voltage breakdown was to occur in the internal 10:1 attenuator (2kV input).
thats the theory..

I suppose you could construct your own 10:1 external attenuator to achieve similar results.
yes if you are well versed in creepage and clearance... and components rating.

P.S. The attached image illustrates this meter being connected to a 3-phase electrical circuit. It must be safe.  :wtf:
3 phase has nothing to do with 2KV.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 05:16:18 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2022, 06:20:18 pm »
Well, since I do a lot of work with HVU psus working in the 1000 to 2000V range I decided to buy one, I will test it before using for accuracy and internal clearances, and I'll use it if I like it.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2022, 06:50:54 pm »
Who would trust Uni-T for safety or minimal honesty?
After that fiasco with the U-61E: obtain 61010 VDE approvals in Germany, then depopulate the three MOV's in production for the rest of the world. Really? Crappy ethics over $0.25 worth of MOV's causing most of the meters to fail and end up in landfill. That is a bullshit move.

Even the UT892 is hilarious, I like the switch and input jack "LIVE" should it be re-labelled "DIE"?
The only time you (i.e. electrician) need 2,000V is measuring a VFD DC bus and VFD's display that value anyhow. That also puts you in the over 1,000VAC league and WTF this meter has no place around CAT. IV gear. It seems to be a confused product "Designed according to CAT II 1,000V/CAT III 600V" but has no safety certifications or approvals. Are we still pulling that wool over the Westerner's eyes?
I think at best it's a 2,000V range multimeter (with no CAT ratings for that channel). Have to see a teardown and BBQ lighter test lol.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2022, 06:59:03 pm »
...  Have to see a teardown and BBQ lighter test lol.

We could get one and treat it as a special case, cause it's a special meter.  Maybe just test the 2kV input only.   I ran one of their high voltage sticks.  It died fairly early on as well. 

There have been several comments about the AVO meters.  Maybe we could find one in decent shape run it against the UNI-T.   

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2022, 07:04:56 pm »
...  Have to see a teardown and BBQ lighter test lol.

We could get one and treat it as a special case, cause it's a special meter.  Maybe just test the 2kV input only.   I ran one of their high voltage sticks.  It died fairly early on as well. 

I’ll do that when it arrives with my Hipotronics HD140

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2022, 07:05:03 pm »
The UT892 manual says
"... withstand surge voltage up to 1000V..."
"Do not measure ACV/DCV voltage over 1000Vrms. It is possible to measure higher voltage but it may cause damage to the meter or user!"

so I'm assuming the usual functions have no decent input protection. That costs many pennies and the boss still wants a new Lambo  :-DD

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2022, 07:09:31 pm »

3 phase has nothing to do with 2KV.

My concern is that UNI-T is encouraging the use of the UNI-T UT892 multimeter (inc. the supplied crappy multimeter probes) in "high energy" application (coal mines !!!) electrical circuits.

You falsely state "3 phase has nothing to do with 2KV" when you consider transient voltages in real world practical situations. Last time I checked we still use electric motors with coil windings which have a habit of generating back EMF when you switch them on and off.

I originally created this post in the interest of public safety and awareness to "bait" people to see who would bite.

The fact is that this meter might be useful to people who know what they are doing.

For example if you are restoring (thermionic) valve equipment such as "valve radios" your not really going to encounter "high energy" from transient voltages.

So the UNI-T UT892 is probably a cheap and viable option for someone working on vintage valve radios or SMPS for example (perhaps?).

Just "horses for courses" and knowing your horses.  :-+

I was simply concerned (horrified and disturbed !!!) that UNI-T created a "Trojan Horse Darwin Award Recipient Locator".

Honestly... look at the UNI-T UT892 marketing material and you will conclude it is criminally irresponsible for such a organization to publish such sh!t.

I can understand a potential Darwin Award Recipient attaching this UNI-T UT892 to the primary winding of an electrical sub transformer at the start of his street, but it's another when an OEM COTS test and measurement equipment manufacturer encourages this kind of stupid behavior.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 07:51:14 pm by jhoffman »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf