Author Topic: New UNI-T UT210E PRO problem  (Read 19026 times)

Offline sky666Topic starter

• Contributor
New UNI-T UT210E PRO problem
« on: September 29, 2020, 09:52:44 am »
Hi guys,

I know you are already tired of questions about the UNI-T UT210E clamp meter but I recently bought a new model UT210E PRO version. According to several reviews of the standard model, I could see that in the DCA area it shows a value that deviates slightly from 0.000A without load and without the zero button being pressed. In my case the value is around 0.220 - 0.300A. After pressing zero the button varies between 0.000 - 0.005A without any movement of the device or close external magnetic field. Do you think this is normal?
1077744-0

Another thing that is important to me is that the sensor on one side of the clamp looks pretty scratched. It can be seen in the picture. I would be grateful if any of you could take a picture of the sensor on his clamp meter just to see if such scratches are normal.
1077748-11077752-2

Thank you

Edit: It does not have to be a picture strictly of this multimeter, it can be from the sensor of any clamp meter.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:51:47 pm by sky666 »

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
Re: New UNI-T UT210E PRO problem
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 08:23:23 pm »
I've never seen a "pro" model, even the UNI-T site not mention it, maybe a counterfeit? But, I'm not sure, not a fan of UNI-T or following with attention their products.

https://www.uni-trend.com/html/product/General_Meters/digitalclampmeters/UT210_Series/UT210E.html

Offline Qw3rtzuiop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 08:39:11 pm »
The pro model has some advantages. Btw. i noticed a similar behavior at my normal UT210e

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 08:48:36 pm »
Without a properly closed magnetic circuit (i.e. a different type of clamp) any clamp meter measuring in the ~2A range will see some offset due to the Earth's magnetic field.
This is exactly what the zero button is for, though even with this you need to be careful to not change the orientation etc (ideally zero with it around an unpowered conductor, or if not possible move the least amount when clamping).

Edit: checked mine and the offset before zeroing is a fair bit less than the value you are seeing. Maybe yours needs a degauss?
Also, the PRO seems like a _very_ minor upgrade unless you regularly want to use the probes to measure frequency.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:51:35 pm by Hydron »

The following users thanked this post: sky666

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 09:06:40 pm »
Scratching could be them grinding the two edges flat to meet flush.

The pro model has some advantages. Btw. i noticed a similar behavior at my normal UT210e

Well, according to that chart it only has the one advantage that it measures frequency. Seems kind of pointless for most people.
edit: I'm blind.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 10:26:13 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline SpecialK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 09:10:09 pm »
I'm not sure what brand/model mine is at work, but it has nearly the same offset when powered on. 

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 10:28:52 pm »
Scratching could be them grinding the two edges flat to meet flush.

Well, according to that chart it only has the one advantage that it measures frequency. Seems kind of pointless for most people.
edit: I'm blind.

I do not believe because the device is brand new, I got it a few days ago. The opposite side is shiny plastic and is more susceptible to scratches. There are no traces of it. Apparently the scratches occurred during the installation of the sensor in the factory unless someone changed something after that.,
Capacity measurement is also increased to 60mF.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 10:48:58 pm »
Without a properly closed magnetic circuit (i.e. a different type of clamp) any clamp meter measuring in the ~2A range will see some offset due to the Earth's magnetic field.
This is exactly what the zero button is for, though even with this you need to be careful to not change the orientation etc (ideally zero with it around an unpowered conductor, or if not possible move the least amount when clamping).

Edit: checked mine and the offset before zeroing is a fair bit less than the value you are seeing. Maybe yours needs a degauss?
Also, the PRO seems like a _very_ minor upgrade unless you regularly want to use the probes to measure frequency.

It is true that the offset is almost always present but the fact is that there are many reviews on YouTube where it can be noticed that the offset is not greater than 0.010A. It seems more likely that some devices are more or less magnetized.

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 11:19:26 pm »

From where it's that table? Uni-T site or something else?

Offline Qw3rtzuiop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 06:37:10 am »
From where it's that table? Uni-T site or something else?

From the product page of the official Uni-t aliexpress store.

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 11:49:03 pm »
From the product page of the official Uni-t aliexpress store.

Very strange, the page of the brand haven't this model,  not offer this version at all. I'm interested in this model only if it is real, but I not find it in any of the usual confident pages that I look. This is announced as the official store on aliexpress https://es.aliexpress.com/store/3095007 and I can't found the pro model, only the standard model is announced. Can you give me the link to the official store? Thanks in advance

Offline Qw3rtzuiop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 07:02:51 am »
... and I can't found the pro model, only the standard model is announced. Can you give me the link to the official store? Thanks in advance

right here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001222938892.html?

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 12:18:01 pm »
So for comparison my meter looks as seen in the following pictures. Jaws are a little dirty but not scratched up. When new it the offset was a bit higher, but I've managed to magnetise it then degauss it a couple times since.

Personally I would have a go at degaussing the clamp (even twirling a magnet on a stick around the jaws while moving slowly away might do the trick) and wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the offset can be zeroed out - some offset is unavoidable (e.g. mine gets about 4x worse than shown in the pic depending on orientation vs the earth). Also worth a quick check vs a normal meter.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 12:19:45 pm by Hydron »

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 02:26:06 pm »
It's a cheap meter, and it's got a DC current range with 1mA resolution.
Hall sensors are inherently quite bad at drift specifications, and added to that you also have residual magnetism and hysteresis in the clamp itself.
Changes on the display when the meter is rotated are due to the earth magnetic field and this means that it's resolution is about as sensitive as you can possibly get with this class of meters.

So a bit of drift for this class of meter is normal. Just be happy you've got a 2A DC current range at all.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 02:41:09 pm »
So for comparison my meter looks as seen in the following pictures. Jaws are a little dirty but not scratched up. When new it the offset was a bit higher, but I've managed to magnetise it then degauss it a couple times since.

Personally I would have a go at degaussing the clamp (even twirling a magnet on a stick around the jaws while moving slowly away might do the trick) and wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the offset can be zeroed out - some offset is unavoidable (e.g. mine gets about 4x worse than shown in the pic depending on orientation vs the earth). Also worth a quick check vs a normal meter.

Thank you for taking the time for the photos.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 03:01:13 pm »
It's a cheap meter, and it's got a DC current range with 1mA resolution.
Hall sensors are inherently quite bad at drift specifications, and added to that you also have residual magnetism and hysteresis in the clamp itself.
Changes on the display when the meter is rotated are due to the earth magnetic field and this means that it's resolution is about as sensitive as you can possibly get with this class of meters.

So a bit of drift for this class of meter is normal. Just be happy you've got a 2A DC current range at all.

You may be right but the fact that many of the devices are quite "normal" may mean that some of the devices are inadequately stored.  And that this problem is not due to the quality of the device.  I mean those devices with offset up to + - 0.020A.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:34:40 pm by sky666 »

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2020, 09:22:23 am »

Can you tell me please where did you buy it? From a local store or online store in Europe?

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 11:21:03 am »
I initially had NiMH batteries in mine and then I changed over to normal alkalines and with their slightly higher voltage it seemed to drift less. Might be my imagination, but that's the impression I got at the time.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 07:15:29 am »
I tried with brand new Duracell, no change.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2020, 08:17:21 am »
I recorded video of process of resetting to zero of the current indications in the DC mode at UT210E. This method allows to reduce residual indications in the mode of measurement of a direct current (DC 2A Dotless, 2A,20A,100A) without the need for EEPROM correction without the programmator. Thanks of kDnZP from a Russian-speaking forum!

ATTENTION! To do only if there is a backup copy of EEPROM!

1. To switch off device.
2. To clamp HOLD+SELECT and to switch to the "resistance, ring-up, diode, condenser" mode.
3. To see a text of "CAL", to release the HOLD+SELECT buttons
4. To wait. To wait long and not to hurry. To wait so far there will pass all self-tests until squeaks, then still to wait and wait for the moment when there are changing indications of the millivoltmeter. I.e. when the self-test will be completely passable, it will take ~ 2-3 minutes.
5. Further it is possible to switch the selector on 20A, to press the ZERO button and to nullify indications. At the same time the instrument in hand not to hold, give time for that that indications calmed down, to place the instrument where least of all el./magn. noises and the more so far away from magnets.
6. To switch the selector on 2A and to repeat the same as in point 5.
7. If necessary it is possible to modify values on other interesting ranges
8. On the end of calibration - to transfer the selector to "OFF"
9. To switch on ut201e and to check indications, if necessary - to repeat.

The link to video which explains this process.
https://yadi.sk/i/bu8eS8uF3ZfK3E

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, Circlotron, RoGeorge, sky666

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2020, 09:37:57 am »
Interesting.  In this case, if there is any remaining magnetism on the clamp, the recalibration does not remove it.  Only calibrates the current value to zero.  The question is whether the other measurements remain the same.  Maybe I'll try, I'm just scared of:

"ATTENTION! To do only if there is a backup copy of EEPROM!"
  :-BROKE

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 09:46:29 am »
sky666
I have specifically highlighted this warning in bold text!
If you do not have a copy of your device's EEPROM, then there is a very high risk of damaging the contents of memory cells if unsuccessful actions are taken. This dump is unique to each instrument and is calibration using standards at the factory. Bear this in mind, I warned. ;) In addition, a backup copy of the EEPROM can greatly help in restoring the operation of the device if a failure occurs or the cells of the 24C02 (08) microcircuit are damaged. This situation can happen with any device in this category and has already happened to some owners of multimeters based on the DTM0660 processor and its analogues.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 09:57:15 am by indman »

Offline Vestom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2020, 08:09:46 pm »
OK, thanks!
... But, how do one make a copy of the EEPROM then? And restore it, if need be?

Offline Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2020, 04:33:47 am »
... But, how do one make a copy of the EEPROM then? And restore it, if need be?
https://youtu.be/Vj6b-clYTis?t=221
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:35:27 am by Tjuurko »

Offline Trader

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2020, 05:22:12 pm »
I wonder what's the CHIPSET? It's the same as the "regular" UT210E? DM1106EN ??  If yes, you can hack it from 2,000 counts to 10,000 counts.

Maybe your "UT210E Pro" firmware could be useful to unlock the Frequency e more Capacitance range in the regular UT210E.

Please, could you check this out?

https://thearduinoshed.wordpress.com/2020/04/13/uni-t-ut210e-current-clamp-hacking/

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/msg1423248/#msg1423248

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf