Author Topic: New Uni-t UDP4303S Powersupply  (Read 936 times)

Offline dexarTopic starter

• Contributor
New Uni-t UDP4303S Powersupply
« on: September 14, 2024, 11:44:22 pm »
Looks like UNI-T have released a new 4 channel power supply the UDP4303S. Looks like a big brother to the UDP3000S. And of course they choose black like everybody else.
1uA resolution, sense on all four channels and 6V/10A on one of the channels is really tempting me.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 11:58:05 pm by dexar »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w, Specmaster

Offline ArcticGeek

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Uni-t UDP4303S Powersupply
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2024, 07:08:02 pm »
I agree that this is a pretty nice power supply.  It has a nice array of features and I love the new black appearance.

In my opinion, Uni-T is the brand to watch in the upcoming future.  Here in the USA, they now have a couple of dealers that sell some of their products (including Tequipment.net), and they also boast support for their products here in the US.  I know lots of folks have complained about Uni-T's non-existent support, but it appears to me that they might be trying to turn that around.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2024, 09:51:54 pm »
Seems like Tequipment has added them to the homepage so now we have a price at $1,399. I thought it would compete with Siglents SPD4000X or Hantek HDP4424 but it is almost double the money. Are they trying to escape the image of a low end brand?

https://www.tequipment.net/UNI-T/UDP4303S/DC-Power-Supplies-/-Lab-Power-Supplies/

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, ArcticGeek

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2024, 10:42:04 pm »
Seems like Tequipment has added them to the homepage so now we have a price at $1,399. I thought it would compete with Siglents SPD4000X or Hantek HDP4424 but it is almost double the money. Are they trying to escape the image of a low end brand?

https://www.tequipment.net/UNI-T/UDP4303S/DC-Power-Supplies-/-Lab-Power-Supplies/

Yes they are escaping the image, look at their latest signal generator, UTG9604T 600MHz $6,000.

SPD4121X $780 for 285W. SPD4306X is $950 for 400W. UDP4303S 300W for $1400.
But these are 1mA resolution. The uni-t is 1uA resolution display. So you are paying ~$500 more for 1uA and a few extra sense terminals. Enough to buy a dedicated 5.5 digit DMM.

IMO they've overpriced it. But you can see how they could easily have justified the price, since there is nothing similar to it.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2024, 09:51:58 pm »
The question is if they will offer firmware updates and it will perform as the datasheet promises. It feels like a gamble buying it in contrast with buying from one of the old reputable A brands which is the competitor with this price.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2024, 10:44:46 pm »

Yes they are escaping the image, look at their latest signal generator, UTG9604T 600MHz $6,000.

SPD4121X $780 for 285W. SPD4306X is $950 for 400W. UDP4303S 300W for $1400.
But these are 1mA resolution. The uni-t is 1uA resolution display. So you are paying ~$500 more for 1uA and a few extra sense terminals. Enough to buy a dedicated 5.5 digit DMM.
The PSU doesn't have a burden voltage, the 5.5 digit DMM does.  If you have ever used a PSU with the ability to also accurately show small currents (up to tens of mA), you'll never want one which doesn't. However, I don't know the specs of this UNI-T PSU so I can't comment on how useful it is. The Keysight E36313 on my bench has 1uA resolution as well but accuracy is more in the ballpark of tens of uA (still not bad though).

The question is if they will offer firmware updates and it will perform as the datasheet promises.
I don't want firmware updates. I want a piece of equipment which works right out of the box! The best test equipment you can own are those which don't need any firmware updates.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 12:38:03 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2024, 06:19:51 pm »
The best test equipment you can own are those which don't need any firmware updates.

Have you checked if you have the latest firmware for your Keysight E36313? I see on their homepage that there have been six released firmware updates.

For me firmware updates is a way of showing that you support your product. I would never buy anything but the simplest equipment without seeing signs of that there will be updates when bugs are found.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 06:23:13 pm by dexar »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2024, 10:21:58 pm »
The PSU doesn't have a burden voltage, the 5.5 digit DMM does.  If you have ever used a PSU with the ability to also accurately show small currents (up to tens of mA), you'll never want one which doesn't. However, I don't know the specs of this UNI-T PSU so I can't comment on how useful it is. The Keysight E36313 on my bench has 1uA resolution as well but accuracy is more in the ballpark of tens of uA (still not bad though).

The burden voltage is going to be minimal when you are measuring in the uA range... and if its an issue you use the sense leads.

I don't disagree its better, I question if its worth that much to the average buyer here, who would be considering uni-t gear.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 10:24:24 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ArcticGeek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2024, 04:27:35 pm »
I agree that they overpriced this.  At $1399 its getting into the "professional" gear category and trying to compete with the Keysight E363XX series.  While it does have many of the same features as the Keysight, it will very difficult to compete against the brand recognition of Keysight and others.  I'm not saying that will never be able to compete, but its going to take some time.

The hobbyists and other folks like me likely will not spend that much money on Uni-T gear when you guy buy other power supplies for less than half that price; at least I can say that it puts it out of consideration for myself. 

I guess time will tell.

Best,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf