Author Topic: Am I silly to buy an Instek GDS-3154  (Read 4318 times)

Offline willemiteTopic starter

• Contributor
Am I silly to buy an Instek GDS-3154
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:13:22 pm »
I've been hunting around for a new scope since my tek 2213A went out of focus on me and I just have not had the time to fix it yet.
I've only ever used analog scopes, but I have a project coming up where I could really use a storage-type scope, as I will be sampling a magnetic field sensor as its response decays to zero following an abrupt shut-off of an externally applied field (Time Domain EM as used in geophysical exploration). Although these could be repetitive signals, they might only be on the order of 1 Hz (slow end of things, probably up to a 1kHz on faster). It certainly was tough to see the images on the 2213a with the phosphor decaying too quickly.
For this project bandwidth is not hugely limiting, as the fastest signals are likely to be 40 kHz or so.  (except for the digital clocks and what not)
Another reason I would like a digital scope is so I can download the waveforms into my computer and look at them in a spreadsheet/graph. This way I can compare individual captures, and stacks and averages. Persistence is probably something I would like to have to compare each event.
I would really prefer a 4 channel as most of the time I seem to want that extra channel, especially when there is a set up with a preamp and two following amps.
This type of work is somewhat more than a hobby, as I would like to build these instruments to help me in my work (geology is what pays the bills). Originally I was simply going to get a 4 channel analog scope for cheap, but I'd like to save myself some time, something I value more these days with two young kids. Once I thought I would go digital I gave myself a 1k$ budget, but I am willing to go to 2k.
I don't mind used, provided I can easily transfer data to my computer
I see the GDS-3000 has been around for about 3 yrs or so, and I assume that is why the prices have come down to a
price of $1616 including the power supply and serial bus software (150MHz, 4 CH). Not sure I would ever use the power supply software, and I do have a 16-ch logic analyzer, so the serial decode software is marginally useful (perhaps on some older equipment that I have with strange voltages it might be good).
I do realize the 25kpts and 3000 waveforms/sec are on the low end.
I feel like I am spending a huge amount of time trying to choose an oscilloscope, when I should get one and get testing! Any thoughts?

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
Re: Am I silly to buy an Instek GDS-3154
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:21:56 pm »
I think the Agilent DSOX2004A might be the best option, even though it is $1916. I own a Siglent SDS1102CNL, and can say hat the included software is a load of shit. It can never connect to the scope, and is next to useless. Another advantage of the Agilent is that it is upgradable later. You can add a DMM, a function generator, Logic analyzer, and extra bandwidth down the road. Otherwise, just buy the Siglent CFL series oscilloscopes, which are around $1000 and come with 4 channels.

http://www.home.agilent.com/en/pd-1945042-pn-DSOX2004A/oscilloscope-70-mhz-4-channels?nid=-33575.970744&cc=US&lc=eng
http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-New-Digital-Oscilloscope-SIGLENT-SDS1074CFL-70MHz-/160828563938?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item25722121e2
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:34:08 pm »
I've been hunting around for a new scope since my tek 2213A went out of focus on me and I just have not had the time to fix it yet.
I've only ever used analog scopes, but I have a project coming up where I could really use a storage-type scope, as I will be sampling a magnetic field sensor as its response decays to zero following an abrupt shut-off of an externally applied field (Time Domain EM as used in geophysical exploration). Although these could be repetitive signals, they might only be on the order of 1 Hz (slow end of things, probably up to a 1kHz on faster). It certainly was tough to see the images on the 2213a with the phosphor decaying too quickly.
For this project bandwidth is not hugely limiting, as the fastest signals are likely to be 40 kHz or so.  (except for the digital clocks and what not)
Another reason I would like a digital scope is so I can download the waveforms into my computer and look at them in a spreadsheet/graph. This way I can compare individual captures, and stacks and averages. Persistence is probably something I would like to have to compare each event.
I would really prefer a 4 channel as most of the time I seem to want that extra channel, especially when there is a set up with a preamp and two following amps.
This type of work is somewhat more than a hobby, as I would like to build these instruments to help me in my work (geology is what pays the bills). Originally I was simply going to get a 4 channel analog scope for cheap, but I'd like to save myself some time, something I value more these days with two young kids. Once I thought I would go digital I gave myself a 1k$ budget, but I am willing to go to 2k.
I don't mind used, provided I can easily transfer data to my computer
I see the GDS-3000 has been around for about 3 yrs or so, and I assume that is why the prices have come down to a
price of $1616 including the power supply and serial bus software (150MHz, 4 CH). Not sure I would ever use the power supply software, and I do have a 16-ch logic analyzer, so the serial decode software is marginally useful (perhaps on some older equipment that I have with strange voltages it might be good).
I do realize the 25kpts and 3000 waveforms/sec are on the low end.
I feel like I am spending a huge amount of time trying to choose an oscilloscope, when I should get one and get testing! Any thoughts?

Considering a new GDS-2204A is about the same price (~$1650 from tequipment.net) yes, you're crazy. :)

I did an overview of the 2204A:

But I ended up returning it due to the published specs not actually matching what the device is capable of (memory length, etc).  It's still a good scope but it just negatively affected my purchasing decision.

You might consider a used MSOX2000 from Agilent (they show up on ebay now and again from agilentused) which have been known to go for ~1900, or a used MSO6000 (which might be a bit too high).  If you want 4 channels the Instek is a decent buy especially with the MSO option.

Offline crt

• Regular Contributor
  • LLLLLLL-RGDSLLL-DSARLLL-LLLLLLL
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:01:56 pm »
Where are you from ?

Consider RIGOL DS1104Z or DS1074Z, even they are not "official" sell outside China
I get my DS1074Z about $680 total ==> cheap enough with 4 Channel  :)
take a look of this thread
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1104z/

Offline willemiteTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 01:26:10 am »
Great. Thanks for the video and the tips :-+. I have been watching that Agilent eBay store for awhile, but no luck yet.
I had not thought of the Rigol DS1104Z, and it does look like a nice scope, but dealing with warranty issues might be a drawback. Also, I think I would prefer to have a separate vertical control for each channel -- just one of those personal preferences.
Will have a look at that Siglent, see how it compares. does seem to have small memory, and slightly smaller display than the GDS-2000a series.
I forgot to mention I am in the USA.

JuanPC

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 01:41:37 am »
Any thoughts?

I bought the gds-3352, should be here next week, "arround the 12th."
The power software is "useless" without the diferential & current probes, not included. More $$$.
The serial decode should be fun.
Probably will buy the probes too.

Its the best bang for the $ in the 350MHz 5GSa/s range, i wanted a 100GHz LeCroy but its a million dollar more... :-DD

Can't say more until it gets here, but I have high hopes for this scope, the 1102a-u i had made me buy the 3K, should be awesome.
Maybe the new gds-3000A its arround the corner, October? but i can't wait, & The promo was too good to pass.

I know dave hates the looks of Instek, but i like them :)

The only thing to worry its to select the 50ohm or the 75ohm input when connected to a high voltage.
Bad news if i forget that.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:43:25 am by JuanPC »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf