Author Topic: New toy(?) scope Fnirsi DPOX180H, claimed 180MHz/500MSps (May 2023)  (Read 128366 times)

Offline solidhit

• Contributor
Re: New toy(?) scope Fnirsi DPOX180H, claimed 180MHz/500MSps (May 2023)
« Reply #425 on: September 28, 2023, 09:08:07 pm »
ru_tash  Menu->System Settings->Transparent menus->Set to 0 to cancel transparency (Tested with v30).

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #426 on: September 28, 2023, 11:01:09 pm »
I've tried it, and I'm going back to the previous version:
-with no signal, the measurement bar is updating several times a second with nonsensical values
-the scope becomes very sluggish both in auto mode and pressing keys.
It takes almost a second to update after a V+ press,
pressing H+ gives a truncated trace for a second, only then refreshes.

quote author=Rooster Cogburn link=topic=377636.msg5081950#msg5081950 date=1695823642]
Fixes:
1: The thickness of the waveform is reduced, making the waveform thinner and clearer.
2: The vertical lines of the square wave are brighter and more obvious

So just some further tweaks to the waveform display. Haven't tried it, but better than nothing, I guess.
[/quote]

Isn't "The thickness of the waveform is reduced" against the purpose o DPO scope? some day it will be a DSO  ;)

Anyway Fnirsi should give us an option to calibrate the device, it will be of much more interest

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #427 on: September 29, 2023, 12:40:03 am »
-with no signal, the measurement bar is updating several times a second with nonsensical values

I upgrade it and on my unit only at 50mV/div there's some values updating. at 100mV/div no problems. No sluggish part on my unit after pressing auto and V+  or V- after, everything work fine. No probes connected. Will keep V40. Maybe some hardware thing with your unit? I bought mine in the end of Aug.

This bug not solved:

set FG to 1KHz Square Wave, 2 Vpp, 50% duty

press Auto

Press H+ until H=1us (top indicator) watch the glitch

Keep pressing H+ until H=5ns watch the amazing and wonderfull waveform  :palm:

Bellow 32KHz is useless, we can't trust anymore on the displayed image if we zoom in (not zoom button)

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #428 on: September 29, 2023, 04:30:40 am »
ru_tash  Menu->System Settings->Transparent menus->Set to 0 to cancel transparency (Tested with v30).

in my case this does not work, i can set to 0% but when I quit settings menu then no change, it always 100%, v30.
restore to factory settings does not help.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 04:36:45 am by ru_tash »

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #429 on: September 29, 2023, 05:10:42 am »

I upgrade it and on my unit only at 50mV/div there's some values updating. at 100mV/div no problems. No sluggish part on my unit after pressing auto and V+  or V- after, everything work fine. No probes connected. Will keep V40. Maybe some hardware thing with your unit? I bought mine in the end of Aug.

This bug not solved:

set FG to 1KHz Square Wave, 2 Vpp, 50% duty

press Auto

Press H+ until H=1us (top indicator) watch the glitch

Keep pressing H+ until H=5ns watch the amazing and wonderfull waveform  :palm:

Bellow 32KHz is useless, we can't trust anymore on the displayed image if we zoom in (not zoom button)

could be because of low value input ac/dc capacitor?
i've upgraded to v40, no sluggish noticed, they corrected menu with number of open measurements.
transparency still cannot be adjusted.

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #430 on: September 29, 2023, 05:28:55 am »
I updated it, I like it better with the thinner line.

I have not experienced the errors described, if there is no signal and I do the two calibrations, it sometimes says 1.2xmV, but I had that before.

The error brought up by ptluis is seen at 5ns at several frequencies: 0.4 1.8 3.6 5.4 7.2 At 9kHz, the signal goes wild.
If both channels are active, the error is less frequent.

Transparency works for me on both the V30 and V40.
Fnirsi oscilloscope = waste&regret

Offline solidhit

• Contributor
« Reply #431 on: September 29, 2023, 06:52:06 am »
ru_tash  There's obviously some misunderstanding here. If you change the transparency setting, the device will remember your setting for as long as it's on. If you want the device to make the transparency setting permanent, you need to "Save current configuration", the option right below "Transparent menus"!

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #432 on: September 29, 2023, 08:09:45 am »
ru_tash  There's obviously some misunderstanding here. If you change the transparency setting, the device will remember your setting for as long as it's on. If you want the device to make the transparency setting permanent, you need to "Save current configuration", the option right below "Transparent menus"!
perhaps my english capability not enough to explain this issue clearly,
1. you go to  Menu->System Settings->Transparent menus
2. Set to 0 to cancel transparency
3. during process 2, you can see in real time that grid and other menu elements are disappearing (fade out)
4. save current settings (although it is not obligatory unless you switch off device)
5. you quit menu with either sto/ret button or directly menu button
6. you see grid and other menu elements still on the screen without any noticeable change of brightness.

Offline solidhit

• Contributor
« Reply #433 on: September 29, 2023, 08:44:11 am »
ru_tash  Oh, you mean something completely different. Setting this option to 0, just tells the device that WHILE YOU ARE AT THE MENU, you want the background to be black. It doesn't mean anything else outside the menu. It doesn't change the brightness, the grid or any information displayed on the screen while you're working with the oscilloscope!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 08:50:04 am by solidhit »

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #434 on: September 29, 2023, 08:57:19 am »
It will be a silly question, but has someone already asked fnirsi if the brightness of the device's display can be adjusted?
Is this function included in the device, and was it just forgotten in the software?
What I found was only menu transparency and waveform brightness.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #435 on: September 29, 2023, 09:16:24 am »
Is there a way to reduce the grid brightness or turn it off?  I can't find any information about it

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #436 on: September 29, 2023, 09:27:24 am »
system settings - Background grid display on/off
Did you think of this? can only be turned on/off.

Offline solidhit

• Contributor
« Reply #437 on: September 29, 2023, 09:31:38 am »
Aside from the buggy / incomplete firmware, could we at least confirm whether the capacitor mod is effective or even needed? Does it have a positive impact on the operation of the device?

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #438 on: September 29, 2023, 09:42:54 am »
system settings - Background grid display on/off
Did you think of this? can only be turned on/off.

Stupid me, I was looking at Function settings  :palm: Thank you

Offline ru_tash

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #439 on: September 29, 2023, 03:09:30 pm »
ru_tash  Oh, you mean something completely different. Setting this option to 0, just tells the device that WHILE YOU ARE AT THE MENU, you want the background to be black. It doesn't mean anything else outside the menu. It doesn't change the brightness, the grid or any information displayed on the screen while you're working with the oscilloscope!
ok I see now, but would anyone really need black/grey background only during setup parameters, especially fading with accuracy of 1%?
such a stupid useless feature....

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2023, 03:41:19 pm »
ok I see now, but would anyone really need black/grey background only during setup parameters, especially fading with accuracy of 1%?
such a stupid useless feature....

could be usefull when you apply "Auto Band limit" filtering level and "20MHz bandwidth limit" and see the results without having to exit menu settings

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #441 on: September 29, 2023, 03:47:39 pm »

they corrected menu with number of open measurements.

confirm Ch2 doesn't show anymore the residual label

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #442 on: September 29, 2023, 07:27:36 pm »
Ok, so I bit the bullet and upgraded to v40.
The thinner trace is actually good. I worried that it was going to lose the infamous "phosphor" quality if they made it thinner and/or crisper, but alas, the change is very small and the device's main selling point (the phosphor display) lives to see another day.  The described 1Khz glitch is also present in my unit btw. Although I don't know if it's an intermittent trigger issue or it's just that they are getting some random samples that connect from one side to the screen to the other.
Anyway, regarding trace width, here's a comparison for people interested in what it looks like:
( I use noise as a "benchmark" because high frequency noise just looks like a block of solid color with random spikes in oscilloscopes with simpler digital traces)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 07:29:54 pm by battlecoder »

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #443 on: September 29, 2023, 07:49:01 pm »
Ok, so I bit the bullet and upgraded to v40.
The thinner trace is actually good. I worried that it was going to lose the infamous "phosphor" quality if they made it thinner and/or crisper, but alas, the change is very small and the device's main selling point (the phosphor display) lives to see another day.  The described 1Khz glitch is also present in my unit btw. Although I don't know if it's an intermittent trigger issue or it's just that they are getting some random samples that connect from one side to the screen to the other.
Anyway, regarding trace width, here's a comparison for people interested in what it looks like:
( I use noise as a "benchmark" because high frequency noise just looks like a block of solid color with random spikes in oscilloscopes with simpler digital traces)

I also think the V40 it's better because we can see the spikes without losing the dpo feature. in the meantime fnirsi ask me to make a video of the glitch problem and send it to an email address. we'll see if they solve the problem.

The following users thanked this post: ru_tash, battlecoder

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #444 on: September 30, 2023, 06:55:15 pm »
The Russians also tried replacing the capacitor, they increased the 710 picofarad capacitor to 2000 picofarad.
But they make 7% mistakes.
I had 330pF in it and replaced it with 100nF and it's perfect.

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #445 on: September 30, 2023, 08:20:53 pm »
The Russians also tried replacing the capacitor, they increased the 710 picofarad capacitor to 2000 picofarad.
But they make 7% mistakes.
I had 330pF in it and replaced it with 100nF and it's perfect.
It didn't solve the problem for me. At least not with the probes set to 10x. Low frequency square waveforms are still distorted when the probe (at 10x) is compensated on DC coupling, and then I switch to AC coupling. If I compensate the probe on AC it will look fine, but if I switch to DC again now DC will be distorted.

Now, using a probe at 10x with a low frequency waveform only makes sense if you are measuring "high" voltages ("high" enough to require the by-10 attenuation), but still, *most* oscilloscopes don't behave like this. In almost every oscilloscope I have (except one) the probe compensation requires no additional adjustments when switching from DC to AC coupling.

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #446 on: September 30, 2023, 08:49:34 pm »
you're right, half solved it.
 It is possible that it is not only a component assembly error, but also a design error.
 I know it shouldn't behave that way, but it's at least partially usable. although now I'm thinking that I might sell it and buy a ds4t1012 150 Mhz instead.

Offline battlecoder

• Regular Contributor
    • A BIT of Mystery
« Reply #447 on: September 30, 2023, 10:41:19 pm »
you're right, half solved it.
 It is possible that it is not only a component assembly error, but also a design error.
 I know it shouldn't behave that way, but it's at least partially usable. although now I'm thinking that I might sell it and buy a ds4t1012 150 Mhz instead.

At this point I'm considering it a minor problem. Especially because I tried the same with all my scopes and there's another one in my lab that also behaves this way. It's annoying, but as long as I'm aware of this, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Having said that, the closest competitor to this scope (the Zeeweei dso2512g) doesn't have this problem. Sure, it has a lower bandwidth and the menu system and trace drawing is very primitive in comparison, but at the very least it works consistently, provided that you don't push it with the bandwidth (Despite the 120Mhz claim of that scope I wouldn't use it above 50Mhz).

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #448 on: October 01, 2023, 07:08:40 am »
1 more error.
Without a signal, vertical division is 200mV 1x and the trigger level is set to 200mV, the trigger is single.
Oh, and the trigger has a falling edge.
At 5-50nS, if you press a STO/RET button, it triggers nothing...
At 100nS, if I can see it well, but again at 200nS.
CH1 AC/DC is not affected.

If you succeed in pressing the RUN state, it is already stably waiting for the signal.
It is possible that the button is pressed twice.
But then why only for falling triggering?

Interesting.
If the baseline is in the upper half or right in the middle with the ORIG button, and the trigger arrow is in the upper part, the error will occur.
If I just put the trigger below the center line, there is no error.
If I move the base line below the center line, the error disappears.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 07:53:05 am by csuhi17 »

Offline infino

• Contributor
« Reply #449 on: October 01, 2023, 09:30:22 am »
A representative of the FNIRSI company thanked me and offered me a $20 discount for the purchase of this oscilloscope in a new case.
Here is his answer:
Горшочек, не вари/ "Töpfchen, steh,"  )))

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf