Author Topic: New Tek Scope - MDO4000C  (Read 29968 times)

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: New Tek Scope - MDO4000C
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 06:29:12 pm »
Look who's returned to his LeCroy jihad.

Oh look, my personal troll is back  :clap:

And I see you still have no real life?  ;)

Look, the market has spoken loudly, and they don't agree with your conclusions or preferences.

:blah: Right, so when did LeCroy go bankrupt? Oh right, they didn't.

Among other reasons, notice Keysight is here, interacting with users and enthusiasts, while LeCroy is not? Even Rigol and Siglent have made it known they are interested in this forum as a feedback mechanism to improve their products, while LeCroy either can't be bothered, or more likely simply doesn't have the resources because of its diminutive size.

You are, like most of the time, talking nonsense  :palm:

Keysight is here because they know it's good marketing for some of their cheaper products (and they might convince a few users to buy their PC software for DMMs and AWGs in the course of it).

Siglent is here pretty much because they don't do software testing so they have no idea what bugs are in their software, so they use the forum as a testbed for their software, pickup the user feedback, and save a few bucks along. They also use it as a free marketing platform.

I haven't seen anyone from Rigol in this forum, and if there is then he's certainly not very active.

I also haven't seen anyone from Tek (I know, but still), Rohde & Schwarz (the Product Manager from Hameg once tried to engage with the forum but stopped pretty much due to the overwhelming hostility from the Rigol punters), Fluke, GW Instek, Picotech, Anritsu, Advantest, Aeroflex, Keithley, Yokogawa, and pretty much everyone else in the T&M industry, including LeCroy.

The simple reason why these manufacturers are not present in this forum is that they don't care for a community where the hottest topic is a $400 B-brand scope and where the majority of members are hobbyists on a slim budget. It shouldn't be difficult to see manufacturers that primarily operate in the higher end of their segment (like R&S or LeCroy) have no benefit engaging here, and especially LeCroy already has other avenues to support hobbyists (Yahoo LeCroy user group). Even for a company like Keysight, with a broad portfolio of instruments at pretty much all price ranges, there will be limited engagement. Because like it or not, there's limited return for them from a community that's pretty much set on B-brand stuff, sometimes at ridiculous length.

10,000 employees vs 500. $4 Billion in annual sales vs $150 million. The company behind expensive TE is as important as the equipment itself.

And still, it was LeCroy who brought the first deep memory scopes to market, the first ones with powerful FFT and advanced measurements and analysis, the first scope with proper touch interface, the first true 12bit bench scope with fast sample rates and a larger bandwidth, the first with pretty much high waveform update rates (>100k) in their mid-range and high-end X-Stream scopes (which came out 2001), the first 65Ghz real-time scope, and later the first 100GHz real-time scope, amongst various other achievements. They already had advanced maths and FFT in their scopes when the competition were still dabbling with pretty simple functionality.

So please remind me, when did Keysight present a 100GHz real-time scope again? Right, they didn't. For real-time they're still stuck at 63GHz (Infiniium Z), and this only if the scope is operated in two channel mode (in four channel mode the bandwidth drops to 33GHz). In contrast, LeCroy offers scopes with up to 20(!) channels up to 100GHz, up to 40 channels at 65GHz and up to 80 channels at 36Ghz:

http://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/pdf/labmaster-10zi-a-datasheet.pdf

That's the pretty much the Emperor Class of scopes, and there's only LeCroy who can do that. Simple as that.

Also, with HPAK, we got upper mid-range and high-end scopes (Infiniium) with low to paltry update rates. The 2014 DSO9k from that "competitive comparison" I linked to (the one where the competitor model stated doesn't match the image) is specified with 250k wfms/s max in sequence mode and some 700 wfms/s in real-time mode where that 2006 WaveRunner Xi they're comparing against pushes >1.25M wfms/s in sequence mode and >8k wfms/s in real-time mode. The latest Keysight high-end scope (Infiniium Z) is specified with 400k wfms/s in segmented mode (the same as the old DSO90kA on my bench at work) while pretty much all LeCroy scopes since that old 2006 WaveRunner Xi go beyond the 1M wfms/s mark there. Not that the waveform rate is a major differentiator in that scope class (it really isn't), it just shows who's leading the pack. Similar in HD scopes, when LeCroy came up with their HDO Series of true 12bit scopes, Agilent came up with a 8bit scope with oversampling (DSO9kH) instead.

There are more areas where it shows where innovation really happens.

Oh, and as to your number of employees and annual sales argument, you of course ignore completely that LeCroy makes that with scopes alone, because that's pretty much all they do - scopes (they also have a few other products like AWGs but these make just for a very small part of their sales). Keysight's 10k employees and 4B of sales are not just from scopes of course, they are from all the other stuff they make besides scopes, like DVMs, spectrum analyzers, signal analyzers, RF generators, Frequency Counters, Power Meters, PXI equipment and a wide range of other instruments, plus their software business which includes a pretty expensive EDA suite. All which contributes to their sales, big time. I don't know how many people in Keysight work on scopes, but I doubt it's much more than 500, and that for a company that not only makes mid-range and high-end scopes but also their own entry level series (LeCroy just buys their low end gear in from Siglent and Iwatsu so they don't have to invest own resources in the lower end of the market). As far as money is concerned, LeCroy is part of Teledyne which is of a similar size as Keysight (>9k employees) so they won't run out of money anytime soon (and unlike Danaher who bought and now slowly strangulates Tek through their DBS, Teledyne lets LeCroy just do their stuff).

Don't get me wrong, HPAK does have good scopes, but you really need to have pretty strong blinkers on to not see which of the two company really pushes scope technology further  |O  For DSOs, LeCroy is pretty much what Tek was for analog scopes - they are pretty much driving scope technology.

Keysight's strong point is that they have such a wide portfolio, and many business and government customers prefer single sources for their gear. They can serve pretty much the whole T&M market (aside from the ultra high end scope segment). And while they may not have the best performing products, they have good products and you can be sure whatever you buy is unlikely to be a complete sucker (which isn't something you can say about Tek). And that's not a bad place to be.

Just to put your simplistic and naive armchair engineer world view into some real-world perspective  ;) For scopes, in the ultra high end there is simply LeCroy and no-one else. You don't get there if you're starved off resources or run out of money, as you seem to believe they are. Yes, their entry level scopes (pretty much everything below the WaveSurfer 3000) are pathetic, it shows LeCroy is not really interested in that market, and if that's what you want you're better off buying something else.

Also, I guess being pretty much at the top is the reason that LeCroy doesn't need to do "competitive comparisons", as they probably have plenty enough to tell about their own products and its merits so they don't need to talk down their competition. Which in my book is a big plus.

Just saying...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:17:16 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 03:39:17 am »
Isn't the LeCroy Wavesurfer Siglent hardware?

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 04:57:30 am »
I agree. The last thing I look at when buying a scope is waveforms/s because beyond several kwfms/s it becomes an utterly useless number. I think Fastacq is something modern Tektronix scopes inherited from the TDS700 series where you could choose for a fast aqcuisition mode but indeed that mode was very limited.

Is there a relationship between waveforms/sec and the effectiveness of the mask-based pass/fail feature?  I'd think they'd be related, but perhaps I misunderstand the basis of the pass/fail feature.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 05:08:06 am »
Not surprising. On most scopes, switching a channel off doesn't actually switch the ADC off, it just tells the software to ignore that channel, so I guess the DVM just takes the data from the sampling subsystem.

But it still leaves you with the low resolution of an 8bit ADC and the resulting measurement uncertainty.

That depends entirely on whether or not any sort of averaging is used to compute the DVM value.  The DVM value doesn't have to be updated all that often (10 per second would probably be more than enough), but at 1Gs/s, that would mean 100M samples per DVM value which, unless my calculations are way off (or my understanding of the effects of oversampling), is good for another 6 bits of resolution.  Of course, that presumes that the averaging calculation is making use of the full sampling rate of the scope, which may be a dubious assumption...

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 06:02:23 am »

The WaveSurfer 3000 is, yes (otherwise it couldn't reach that price point), other WaveSurfer models aren't. And unlike LeCroy's smaller scopes (WaveAce, WaveJet) which are just rebadged Siglent and Iwatsu scopes, the WaveSurfer 3000 hardware has been developed under LeCroy guidance, and the software (the part where Siglent sucks, their hardware is actually quite good) is made by LeCroy (Siglent doesn't touch it, they just get the binary blob).

Siglent sells the WaveSurfer 3000 as Siglent SDS3000 in China, while LeCroy sells in the rest of the world.

LeCroy did something similar back in the late '90s with Iwatsu, which made their WaveRunner LT, WaveRunner2 LT and WavePro 900 scopes. Sharing hardware development with a partner and having them manufacturing the scopes allows LeCroy to sell at a lower price. Just compare the pricing of the WaveSurfer 3000 with the Keysight DSOX3000T (which doesn't even have LAN as standard).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:18:15 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 06:10:59 am »
Is there a relationship between waveforms/sec and the effectiveness of the mask-based pass/fail feature?  I'd think they'd be related, but perhaps I misunderstand the basis of the pass/fail feature.

You can only mask-test a waveform that you've captured, so yes, the waveform update rate does affects the mask testing performance.

Not surprising. On most scopes, switching a channel off doesn't actually switch the ADC off, it just tells the software to ignore that channel, so I guess the DVM just takes the data from the sampling subsystem.

But it still leaves you with the low resolution of an 8bit ADC and the resulting measurement uncertainty.

That depends entirely on whether or not any sort of averaging is used to compute the DVM value.  The DVM value doesn't have to be updated all that often (10 per second would probably be more than enough), but at 1Gs/s, that would mean 100M samples per DVM value which, unless my calculations are way off (or my understanding of the effects of oversampling), is good for another 6 bits of resolution.  Of course, that presumes that the averaging calculation is making use of the full sampling rate of the scope, which may be a dubious assumption...

You're absolutely right, a DVM does need a relatively low update rate, and they could very well do some oversampling to increase the resolution beyond the 8bit of the ADC. Not sure they do, though, but then I've never really used the DVM functionality.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 06:24:05 am »

You can only mask-test a waveform that you've captured, so yes, the waveform update rate does affects the mask testing performance.

Mask test rate REALLY depends on the scope.  Just because they have a fast waveform/second update doesn't mean they have fast mask testing.  Our mask testing isn't 1M, but it is done in our ASIC so it's still pretty darn fast.  Especially if you compare it to some other scopes on the market.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 06:26:07 am »
Also, regarding what vendors are on this forum... It's not really a big "marketing" push and directive; it's me realizing that this is a great community that I personally want to be a part of.  That's all it takes for a company to be represented here.  Not a marketing process, just one person who is willing to put in the time and effort to actually try to contribute.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 06:39:21 am »
Yep, here's an old thread from about the time they were released:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent's-new-products-sds3000-series-oscilloscopes/

Got to have a quick play with one when I visited the factory in Oct 14, you'll find mention and pics in that thread.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline D3f1ant

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing as little as possible, but no less.
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 07:09:42 am »
While I agree keysights 3000/4000 memory is pretty lame in today's world from specification point of view, I can't say I have actually ever encountered it being a problem. Guess everybody has different requirements or usage scenarios.
At least keysight scopes are nice and responsive and have decent acceleration curve when spinning the knobs ;)
Next time I deserve an upgrade would have to consider LeCroy tho, although by the time that comes keysight might have lifted its game too. Local keysight support is very good in NZ, not so sure about LeCroy.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 07:20:41 am »
While I agree keysights 3000/4000 memory is pretty lame in today's world from specification point of view, I can't say I have actually ever encountered it being a problem. Guess everybody has different requirements or usage scenarios.
At least keysight scopes are nice and responsive and have decent acceleration curve when spinning the knobs ;)
Next time I deserve an upgrade would have to consider LeCroy tho, although by the time that comes keysight might have lifted its game too. Local keysight support is very good in NZ, not so sure about LeCroy.
I hope I can have just an opportunity to offer something to you for a testdrive.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2016, 10:09:16 am »

Mask test rate REALLY depends on the scope.  Just because they have a fast waveform/second update doesn't mean they have fast mask testing.  Our mask testing isn't 1M, but it is done in our ASIC so it's still pretty darn fast.  Especially if you compare it to some other scopes on the market.

True, it does depend on the mask test implementation. However, with a low waveform rate fast mask test just isn't possible.

Also, regarding what vendors are on this forum... It's not really a big "marketing" push and directive; it's me realizing that this is a great community that I personally want to be a part of.  That's all it takes for a company to be represented here.  Not a marketing process, just one person who is willing to put in the time and effort to actually try to contribute.

I assumed that you being here is pretty much a personal effort from your side (and it's much appreciated!). But besides you there's also another official Keysight account created by the BenchVue team which seems to be a bit more formal.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2016, 11:49:25 am »
Regarding mask testing: does anyone ever use that? And how? I'd suspect it would be part of an automated test setup so I can imagine the trigger point of a signal is also tightly controlled so each test is identical. Where does the need for fast mask testing come into play? Just letting it run for a while doesn't seem adequate to me because you might miss a piece of malformed signal anyway.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 12:15:46 pm »
Regarding mask testing: does anyone ever use that? And how? I'd suspect it would be part of an automated test setup so I can imagine the trigger point of a signal is also tightly controlled so each test is identical. Where does the need for fast mask testing come into play? Just letting it run for a while doesn't seem adequate to me because you might miss a piece of malformed signal anyway.

I used to use it occasionally as mask testing can be useful for finding violations in eye diagrams. But that's pretty much about it, and these days I rather use a scope's analysis tool sets for that.

I don't use it for glitch finding in signals as described in this thread, though, but then I don't have to because my scopes have better tools available.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2016, 04:16:38 pm »
it's me realizing that this is a great community that I personally want to be a part of.
BTW the MegaZoom IV ASIC, DSOX2000A and DSOX3000A are now 5 years old, they were introduced in early 2011. Is there a successor coming? I am just curious.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2016, 04:34:48 pm »
it's me realizing that this is a great community that I personally want to be a part of.
BTW the MegaZoom IV ASIC, DSOX2000A and DSOX3000A are now 5 years old, they were introduced in early 2011. Is there a successor coming? I am just curious.

Well, at least the DSOX3000A has seen a successor with the DSOX3000T (which essentially is just a shrunken DSOX4000A) at the end of 2014.

But yes, the DSOX line-up really needs a serious refresh, not just some polishing.

Offline Marchello

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2016, 07:23:33 pm »
Hi all!
Sorry for offtopic.
I have Rigol DS2302a, but I was not satisfied with the decoding of serial protocols + 2 channels only.
I want new oscilloscope for AC-DC / DC-DC converters and BLDC controllers.
need 4 channels, 200 MHz, i2s - spi - rs232 - can - lin decode, FG - may be.

I have offer by local dealer exdemo Agilent DSOX3024a + DSOX3APPBNDL for $ 2350 with 1 year warranty.
Worth buying?

WS3024 from a local dealer costs $ 5637 with WS3K-FG, WS3K-EMB, WS3K-AUTO, include all charges. That very expencive for me.

BR
Mark

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2016, 07:35:22 pm »
I have Rigol DS2302a, but I was not satisfied with the decoding of serial protocols + 2 channels only.

I have offer by local dealer exdemo Agilent DSOX3024a + DSOX3APPBNDL for $ 2350 with 1 year warranty.
Worth buying?

Depends on age and condition (if its labelled 'Agilent' then it must be an older scope) but depending on your local situation it might be OK. 

WS3024 from a local dealer costs $ 5637 with WS3K-FG, WS3K-EMB, WS3K-AUTO, include all charges. That very expencive for me.

The WS3024 is around $3700 (there was/is a promo which includes all options, and if not LeCroy usually throws them in for good measure). But again, your local situation might cause price differences.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2016, 10:39:28 pm »
Hi all!
Sorry for offtopic.

Worth buying?

BR
Mark

I think that is very good buying, considering the DSOX3APPBNDL alone is priced at about that. A bargain actually.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2016, 12:13:46 am »

I used to use it occasionally as mask testing can be useful for finding violations in eye diagrams. But that's pretty much about it, and these days I rather use a scope's analysis tool sets for that.

I don't use it for glitch finding in signals as described in this thread, though, but then I don't have to because my scopes have better tools available.

I've seen it used for finding glitches in manufacturing, where they need to have a certain number of passed tests before they ship the product.  Then the time/test really starts to matter.  It's also useful for getting stats about reliability, etc.

Offline don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2016, 12:47:44 am »

o 20Mpt/ch (10Mpt/ch MDO3000) on each channel compared to 4Mpt shared on KS x3000/x4000
Actually it gets worse on Keysight scopes because the 4Mpts are used as a double buffer and when shared it gets halfed again. So in a practical usage scenario you end up with 1Mpts on a 4Mpts Keysight IF you don't enable the digital channels and or reference traces. The Tektronix wins more than 20 to 1 here!

And memory is halved yet again if using run/stop instead of single acquisition mode down to 500k for 4M or 250k for 2M.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2016, 12:52:13 am »

o 20Mpt/ch (10Mpt/ch MDO3000) on each channel compared to 4Mpt shared on KS x3000/x4000
Actually it gets worse on Keysight scopes because the 4Mpts are used as a double buffer and when shared it gets halfed again. So in a practical usage scenario you end up with 1Mpts on a 4Mpts Keysight IF you don't enable the digital channels and or reference traces. The Tektronix wins more than 20 to 1 here!
And memory is halved yet again if using run/stop instead of single acquisition mode down to 500k for 4M or 250k for 2M.
I have already taken that into account. But it probably gets halved again when enabling the digital channels.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2016, 01:07:07 am »

I have already taken that into account. But it probably gets halved again when enabling the digital channels.

Yes, it does get halved with digital too - will get down to 250k/500k as mentioned. Not surprising you forgot as it's a lot of halfing to keep track of.

Offline don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2016, 01:34:55 am »
Hi all!
Sorry for offtopic.

Worth buying?

BR
Mark

If you want protocol decoding you may be disappointed with dsox3000 memory as if goes way down as mentioned in post above.  If memory is not an issue then agilent is a good deal. 

Tek mdo3000 or lecroy ws3000 are deeper memory options and should be ~4000 new.  If you are into hacking, you can get all the decoding options, AFG, SA, MSO, and 500MHz BW on mdo. But  you can get the 3GHz SA and one decoding option for free or all the decoding options for free if you time buy right.

They are both good scopes.  For major features though, Mdo3000  has a better AFG compared to lecroy (50MHz 250MS/s, 128k memory vs 25MHz /125MS/s, 16k), better SA with 3GHz capture BW, and ability to enter long algabraic math expressions . I'm sure ws3000 has its strengths too whether spec based or subjective.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2016, 09:15:10 am »
Hi all!
Sorry for offtopic.

Worth buying?

BR
Mark

If you want protocol decoding you may be disappointed with dsox3000 memory as if goes way down as mentioned in post above.  If memory is not an issue then agilent is a good deal. 

Although often that's mitigated through the use of segmented memory, although admittedly that does add a little complexity to the setup. MDO3000/4000 doesn't have segmented memory, I can't comment on the LeCroy.

Tek mdo3000 or lecroy ws3000 are deeper memory options and should be ~4000 new.  If you are into hacking, you can get all the decoding options, AFG, SA, MSO, and 500MHz BW on mdo. But  you can get the 3GHz SA and one decoding option for free or all the decoding options for free if you time buy right.

They are both good scopes.  For major features though, Mdo3000  has a better AFG compared to lecroy (50MHz 250MS/s, 128k memory vs 25MHz /125MS/s, 16k), better SA with 3GHz capture BW, and ability to enter long algabraic math expressions . I'm sure ws3000 has its strengths too whether spec based or subjective.

The AFG on the MDO3000 though lacks any modulation functionality, and the BNC is somewhat irritatingly round the back. The SA is OK but on the MDO3000 either it's a scope or an SA, you can't have both at the same time, although realistically there isn't really enough screen real estate for both. The MDO4000 you can have both and they can be made to work together. The SA can appear to be slow, because it doesn't scan like a traditional SA, so you get a screen update all in one go rather than a scan trace. Having said that, the UI appears to lock while the samples are taken which is disconcerting. It is _not_ a replacement for a proper SA, but it can have value on the bench for more rudimentary and casual use. I never used to use the SA, but a project I'm working on needs to be able to view two spans, so having a second SA available for this has been handy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf