Author Topic: HP/Agilent 8644A/B difference  (Read 2552 times)

Offline tkamiyaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
HP/Agilent 8644A/B difference
« on: December 09, 2017, 05:32:39 pm »
Hello.  I'm a first timer here.  So, HELLO!

I went crazy on eBay and purchased 3 RF generators.  Two HP8644A with Oven controlled Xtal oscillator and One Agilent 8644B with no options. 

Other than name plate and the fact B has low phase noise option (mode 3) standard, one is optioned to 2GHz and others just 1GHz, what are the differences?  They look identical and seems to work identical to me.  Also, where IS the NiCad batteries?  From forum searches, there are Nicads somewhere and holds self-calibration data.  I'm pretty sure they are dead by now, so I'd like to replace them.  I opened the top side and looked around and I found none.  I'm pretty sure bottom is just a backplane?

Thank you very much.

Offline OH7MHL

Re: HP/Agilent 8644A/B difference
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 07:37:39 pm »
Hi,

Nice pile of generators, congrats!

NiCad battery is located in DCU unit (slot A16).

I replaced that with bigger NiMh type.

In 8644b version there is a electrtonic attenuator (PIN-diodes) and A-version include traditional resistive attenuator network with relays.

Here you can download all availabe 8644x documents:
https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1000002189%3Aepsg%3Apro-pn-8644B/high-performance-signal-generator-1-ghz-or-2-ghz?cc=FI&lc=fin&lsrch=true&searchT=8644B

I have to say that 8644b is very good RF generator for my purposes.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:57:06 pm by OH7MHL »

The following users thanked this post: Someone

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 10:29:44 pm »
Thanks for that. 

A pile is right.  Very heavy pile indeed....  I've located the battery.  I, too, would like to use something other than Nicd but NiMH uses different charging scheme.  Have you had any issues?  Otherwise, there is plenty of space in that area, so I'll just use cordless phone batteries.

Offline OH7MHL

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 10:18:40 am »
Yes that charging cheme difference was one concerrn but so far I did not found any problem with that.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 02:36:06 am »
I've decided to go with NiMH.  I got 3.6v 80mAH version.  I'm thinking with such small amount of charging and draining, I shouldn't encounter issues.  I'll do one at a time just to make sure.

Thanks.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 03:02:56 am »
Just watch out for the NiMh self discharge issues, I am dealing with a dead rom for someone currently after she didn't use her controller for a while. Nicads are better on that account and LiPo's better again.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline OH7MHL

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:46:30 am »
NiMh self discharge issues can be avoid by using Low Discharge Cells but I think that availability is zero in that size. But there is plenty of room for own build 3 x 1.2V NiMh LSD stack.
I would not use LiPo in that device without proper charger.
When  I bought my 8644B that battery was totallly dead. Only drawback was long self calibration routine in every time when switched on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf