Author Topic: New Siglent SDS1202X-E oscilloscope based on Xilinx Zynq-7000 SoC architecture  (Read 145158 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Why do the feet on the back of the oscilloscope have a curved slope? Is that also with the other Siglent oscilloscopes? First time that I see this, actually :)

Because this feets and the two support posts (at the upper corners of the backside) are there, it is possible to lay the oscilloscope flat on the back.
Would be making much more sense with a mobile (battery driven) unit...   :-//

Conformed that it sits nicely flat and the rubber feet stop it moving on the bench when flat. Mains cord comes out the side.

The following users thanked this post: kado, Koen

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
Dave you forgot to take out and check the fan in your teardown video!  :-/O

Is it noisy as usual?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Dave you forgot to take out and check the fan in your teardown video!  :-/O

Is it noisy as usual?
Compared to what ?  :-//
If it was I'm sure Dave would've noticed and mentioned it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Online pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
In general Siglent is much quieter than Rigol. No worries :)

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
Rigol, micsig, keysight..  are all too noisy

Cannot find any noise spec for the siglent unfortunately.. This should definitely be in the datasheet (like R&S scopes)!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:11:03 pm by thanasisk »

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Sorry for nitpicking, but please use the term "bps" (bits per second) when you're talking about the data rate. Seeing "Baud" on the scope's screen is |O . Baud is the symbol rate. A symbol can be the equivalent of muliple bits. Take QAM64 for example, a single symbol of QAM64 transports 6 bits. So a symbol rate of 1kbaud is a data rate of 6kbps.
In the context of UART data. Everyone uses baud. To use anything else would be confusing

Why would bps be confusing in the context of UART? Thx

Offline Jono427

• Contributor
Anyone heard about a more definitive date for release on this thing yet?

The following users thanked this post: chipss

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Sorry for nitpicking, but please use the term "bps" (bits per second) when you're talking about the data rate. Seeing "Baud" on the scope's screen is |O . Baud is the symbol rate. A symbol can be the equivalent of muliple bits. Take QAM64 for example, a single symbol of QAM64 transports 6 bits. So a symbol rate of 1kbaud is a data rate of 6kbps.
In the context of UART data. Everyone uses baud. To use anything else would be confusing

Because someone might think that bps meant data bits per second ( =baud*0.8 with 8N1)
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
Should be really soon..Just saw it at batronix with 1-4 days availability..

http://www.batronix.com/shop/oscilloscopes/Siglent-SDS1202X-E.html

The following users thanked this post: chipss

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Because someone might think that bps meant data bits per second ( =baud*0.8 with 8N1)

Isn't the concept of gross and net data rates well known by engineers? :-//

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

Isn't the concept of gross and net data rates well known by engineers? :-//
Yes, as long as it is specified which you are talking about. "Baud" always means bit times on the wire. "bps" may or may not, depending on context

Offline fonograph

• Frequent Contributor
Will it have same low noise front end like the original non e  version? The reason I want tombuy this is I need scope to look that can that is good at low level stuff like 1mV or even lower,from all the budget scope this one seems lowest noise but since its cheaper than sds1102x,it have different board inside I wonder if its as good as 1102x when it comes to noise level.

if someone have both scopes,someone like tauntech or rf-loop if you have both sds1202x and sds1202x-e,set it to full bandwidth,no eres/averaging and similiar memory and  persistance settings,makes a screenshots and post it here side by side so I can see if its similiar or different
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:05:06 am by fonograph »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
I'll have some next week and I have X on hand so I'll check the front end out but I suspect it's the same as X and X+. Nothing in the datasheets leads me to think otherwise.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
Damn it's hard not buying this over the competition, too bad Keysight and R&S do so little to compete. Been asking every Keysight and R&S distributor around if they can throw in an option for free, none are interested  :(

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Damn it's hard not buying this over the competition, too bad Keysight and R&S do so little to compete. Been asking every Keysight and R&S distributor around if they can throw in an option for free, none are interested  :(

"Look, R&S, there's this new $400 very-low-cost scope from Siglent out now. Shouldn't you give me a discount or some free options on your $2000+ scope?!"
Nice try!  ;)

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter

"Look, R&S, there's this new $400 very-low-cost scope from Siglent out now. Shouldn't you give me a discount or some free options on your $2000+ scope?!"
Nice try!  ;)

Their HMO1002 was only €750! Same as the DSOX1102A! The Siglent X-E will end up costing me around €467, and I'm willing to spend to spend the additional €300 for the brand alone (and everything that comes with it). But if I then have to pay the bus decoding option on top, for which R&S quoted me €325  :palm: and Keysight want €175  :--. It makes the jump difficult.

I even found the HMO1002 discounted by 20% on their webshop (demo product), which I actually ordered. But the order got cancelled, not in stock!

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I don't think Keysight and R&S see Siglent as serious competition when it comes to oscilloscopes. Besides that the SDS1000X-E only has two channels where the competition (which isn't just R&S and Keysight) has four channel models as well.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
I don't think Keysight and R&S see Siglent as serious competition when it comes to oscilloscopes. Besides that the SDS1000X-E only has two channels where the competition (which isn't just R&S and Keysight) has four channel models as well.
The Keysight DSOX1000 has only 2 channels, so a direct competitor to the Siglent SDS1000X-E series.

I have been watching the stock amount since it was released from a major european dealer (Distrilec) and the Keysight MSOX1000 does not sell, or very little.
I think it is overpriced, and the options come on top of that. Same as with the new Tek TBS....

Time for a price adaption if you ask me.

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
Don't also forget the BW offered by each model (the price of the R&S 50 MHz is ridiculous)..

The new siglent hopefully sets a new paradigm on how to treat your customers, not only by not overcharging you for  many small options but on top by offering all the options unlocked by default! Hopefully they will follow this business model with their higher end models as well.

Apparently the R&S/Keysight etc. competition are still living in the stone age before the diy revolution and, given the prices and license models, are not addressing retail (hobbyists and small companies where price and quality equally matter) but only business sales and education (where no VAT is paid and big budgets have to be drained by the end of the year..)

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
eh, the Keysight ticks more boxes in my list (siglent has low samplerate, 200 MHz @500MS/s is a no-no, no wavegen + filter app, no third digital channel)
IF and i say IF they did the complete E+ version with MSO and wavegen i would have considered it

but it doesn't exist yet so i keep eyeing the keysight waiting for another paycheck or two

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
The new siglent hopefully sets a new paradigm on how to treat your customers, not only by not overcharging you for  many small options but on top by offering all the options unlocked by default! Hopefully they will follow this business model with their higher end models as well.

Apparently the R&S/Keysight etc. competition are still living in the stone age before the diy revolution and, given the prices and license models, are not addressing retail (hobbyists and small companies where price and quality equally matter) but only business sales and education (where no VAT is paid and big budgets have to be drained by the end of the year..)

It's hard to believe they can sit and watch Rigol shipping tens of thousands of oscilloscopes and decide to do nothing about it.

Then again, we don't know how much they make from draining those big budgets.

Thumbs up to Siglent though.  :-+

(The only remaining advantage of the Rigol DS1054Z is four channels. If Siglent can make the external trigger BNC into a third digital channel like Keysight did...they'll clean up IMHO. The Rigol won't have a leg left to stand on)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:29:15 am by Fungus »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
eh, the Keysight ticks more boxes in my list

Sure, but it's at least twice the price.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Sometimes it is worth spending the extra money to get a tool which works well.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Sometimes it is worth spending the extra money to get a tool which works well.
Sometimes it's just enjoyable to have nice things.
Do you drive the cheapest car you can afford, or eat the cheapest food?

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !

but on top by offering all the options unlocked by default

Don't be so quick to tick the decoder option yet because it does not chooch, not properly.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:57:17 am by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf