Author Topic: New Rigol DC PSU's  (Read 157970 times)

Offline etc6849

• Contributor
Re: New Rigol DC PSU's
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2013, 04:30:02 pm »
Yeah, I'm not in love with the layout of the GUI either.  I do like the color coded idea, I just wish they chose different colors.

My DP832a is on back order (another 3-4 weeks) according to Tequipment.net...  Is there another alternative I should be considering for a DIY'er or is there another US vendor that may have the DP832a in stock?

Offline MrRedHat

• Supporter
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2013, 05:00:35 pm »
Yeah, I'm not in love with the layout of the GUI either.  I do like the color coded idea, I just wish they chose different colors.

My DP832a is on back order (another 3-4 weeks) according to Tequipment.net...  Is there another alternative I should be considering for a DIY'er or is there another US vendor that may have the DP832a in stock?

Good luck with Tequipment.net. I’ve been waiting for six weeks and I still haven’t gotten mine. I would have never gotten it if I didn’t complain. I should have gotten it a week ago, but it seems that they sent it to the wrong person! Good luck in your wait.

Offline olsennTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2013, 05:21:41 pm »
Overall I still prefer my Instek GPS-4303 for everyday use; however, the DP832 is great when a programmable supply is needed. The Rigol unit has a more accurate output, but when you use lots of current, loss throgh the wire (ohm's law) still applies, so it's not as useful as you might think. It's noisy, but very well built.

Now time to learn LabView!

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2013, 09:02:09 pm »
Overall I still prefer my Instek GPS-4303 for everyday use; however, the DP832 is great when a programmable supply is needed. The Rigol unit has a more accurate output, but when you use lots of current, loss throgh the wire (ohm's law) still applies, so it's not as useful as you might think. It's noisy, but very well built.

Now time to learn LabView!

Instek and Atten, isn't those mostly the same?
Cannot decide what to get, these rigols looks nice, but they are very big, too big for my desk, and after reading the manual, wow, too many features ;)

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2013, 09:11:44 pm »
Does anybody know about the noise level comparsion with Rigol DP1308A or HP/Agilent E3631A.  The old DP1308 seems to be more noisy than old HP/Agilent.
It is annoying to work in the lab with few these PSU on the bench running.

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2013, 09:47:58 pm »

Looks like those “Motherless Goats” also laser etched the chip IDs off many ICs in my one as well.

thanks Uup, confirms my suspicions, the DP832 is a DP832A with firmware lockdown, all the hardware is there.
That really does appear to be a jtag header on the controller board. Interesting they laser etched what appears to be the local mcu's on the power boards and didn't bother with the controller ? oversight or confidence in the Freescale DRM toolkit ? we'll see I guess
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:50:07 pm by mickpah »

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2013, 08:58:48 am »
Can someone post a pic of the back of a DP832?  I wonder what would be involved in adding the LAN and other ports?  >:D

Also, re: the comments about tequipment... They have a shipment of 832 and 832a's coming tomorrow and are supposed to be shipping a bunch out then.  I don't know if they have more orders than units to ship so I can't say if all back orders will ship, but I just got a shipment update email on my 832 Yesterday, so they are on their way!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2013, 09:03:33 am »
Can someone post a pic of the back of a DP832?  I wonder what would be involved in adding the LAN and other ports?  >:D

All the ports are included and are a software option.

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2013, 09:05:04 am »

Also, re: the comments about tequipment... They have a shipment of 832 and 832a's coming tomorrow and are supposed to be shipping a bunch out then.  I don't know if they have more orders than units to ship so I can't say if all back orders will ship, but I just got a shipment update email on my 832 Yesterday, so they are on their way!
can't take a photo now - but I can assure you it's the same as a DP832A. Lan & 232 are software key only options - no hardware upgrade required.
They even supply the plug for the trigger port in the base unit and the software is disabled by default.
These are so ripe for a good'ole Rigol I2C sniff  :) - (or jtag in this case

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2013, 09:07:19 am »
And all options are priced at €71 each, except the Lan&RS232 which is €92.

What are use-cases for the Digital IO?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #160 on: August 01, 2013, 09:14:05 am »

I haven't looked into the details, but presumably it's for the programming feature built in. i.e. you can program step changes in the voltage at set times etc, and presumably you can assign digital output to control stuff in sync with that.

Offline crt

• Regular Contributor
  • LLLLLLL-RGDSLLL-DSARLLL-LLLLLLL
« Reply #161 on: August 01, 2013, 02:03:12 pm »
DP832  ==> 500VA
DP832A ==> 400VA
I don't get it, maybe they just put a wrong stiker on it ;D

Offline Uup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #162 on: August 01, 2013, 02:49:49 pm »

It is user configurable.

I recently used it on a new design - to monitor a reset and a POST pass signal, whilst programming the 832A to slowly ramp the voltage up then down. The entire process was recorded by the 832A for later analysis.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #163 on: August 01, 2013, 06:20:33 pm »

can't take a photo now - but I can assure you it's the same as a DP832A. Lan & 232 are software key only options - no hardware upgrade required.
They even supply the plug for the trigger port in the base unit and the software is disabled by default.
These are so ripe for a good'ole Rigol I2C sniff  :) - (or jtag in this case

:phew: thanks!

I had originally ordered the 832A, but after looking at the specs and seeing the price of the hires option, I didn't really see why I would want an 832A over the regular 832 that was about half the price.  I must have misread a previous comment and thought the 832 did not come with the digital/LAN ports, which I was very much hoping to use.  I'm very happy they are included  :-/O

It's pretty smart, IMO, for Rigol to keep the price of the hardware lower and provide *value* in the options.

I will buy the hires option because it's worth it.  I hope Rigol keeps the value trend going, I bet it's going very well for them.

On a side note, I got a tracking number today on my DP832.  If it shows up, I guess I will be working this weekend  :-DD (aka, want to play with my new toy!)
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2013, 08:57:17 pm »
I feel stupid for asking this, but what is the purpose of the OCP (Over Current Protection) and OVP (Over Voltage Protection) options in the DP832? There is already a current limit and voltage set.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2013, 09:16:08 pm »
I feel stupid for asking this, but what is the purpose of the OCP (Over Current Protection) and OVP (Over Voltage Protection) options in the DP832? There is already a current limit and voltage set.

It's to prevent a PEBCAK error from blowing up your board.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2013, 09:30:35 pm »

Can you elaborate on that Dave? Perhaps an example would help.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2013, 09:38:21 pm »

You set your voltage and current for your project as per normal.
Now you know if you blow that board your life will end, so you set the over voltage and over current protections just above the thresholds. That now prevents you from accidentally changing the voltage and current to blow your board up, maybe while adjusting another channel.
It's traditionally designed to protect against harwdare failure in the supply, but that's usually not how it works any more.

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2013, 09:39:07 pm »

wow, that's leading with your chin

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2013, 09:54:21 pm »
Wow. So this is where the test equipment industry is headed. Industrial design inspired by Fisher-Price and putting ever larger LCD's into these. I'm just waiting to snap up my mickey-mouse branded 50" 4k Agilent 344601!
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2013, 10:23:54 pm »
Wow. So this is where the test equipment industry is headed. Industrial design inspired by Fisher-Price and putting ever larger LCD's into these. I'm just waiting to snap up my mickey-mouse branded 50" 4k Agilent 344601!

You probably missed the special edition earlier in this thread, courtesy by a forum member

I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2013, 10:32:23 pm »

I love the big graphical screens, it can present lots of useful info.
Yes, the industrial design looks stupid with the round keypads and wanky flared rubber boots.

Offline Uup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2013, 11:11:49 pm »

Dave gave you an example but there are many situations where an over voltage/current situation (above the setpoint limits) could occur, that could cause damage to the circuit being powered.

These PSUs are usually used in a prototyping environment and often more than one output is used. For example, if a circuit were being supplied 2.5V, 5V and 12V and there were a short between two or more power rails, due to component failure or an accident, then the voltage and or current on a powet rail could exceed the setpoint limits. That's where OVP and OCP could protect the circuit by shutting down the output.

This situation could also occur using a single output, depending on the type of devices in the circuit being powered.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2013, 11:15:21 pm »
These PSUs are usually used in a prototyping environment and often more than one output is used. For example, if a circuit were being supplied 2.5V, 5V and 12V and there were a short between two or more power rails, due to component failure or an accident, then the voltage and or current on a powet rail could exceed the setpoint limits. That's where OVP and OCP could protect the circuit by shutting down the output.

That does of course depend on how the OVP and OCP is implemented in the hardware. Some are just GUI software solutions.

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2013, 11:16:14 pm »
I don't mind the front design, actually, I grown to like it.  I have both the Atten which Dave owns and I can say that I like the Rigol much better. I brought my Rigol in to work and showed it to my boss. He liked it and ordered two units.

Robert

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf