Author Topic: New Rigol DC PSU's  (Read 157979 times)

Offline dmginc

• Contributor
Re: New Rigol DC PSU's
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2013, 09:30:57 am »
Would anyone with the DP832A/DP831A be kind enough to measure the width of the device with the corner protectors removed?

Need to know if I can make room for it! :D

Thanks!

Offline olsennTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2013, 05:21:03 pm »
I’m thinking of getting the DP832, but I can’t tell the difference between the DP832A and the DP832? The only thing I can tell is the OVP and OCP increments, otherwise is there any other differences? 

The DP832 is the EXACT same hardware as teh DP832A with the exception of the channel-enable buttons being colour coded on the DP832A. The firmware for controlling the screen on these two models is different, but the screen itself is the same. Also, the DP832A comes with the High Resolution, RS232/LAN/GBIB, and Trigger In/Out Add-Ons, whereas with the DP832 you need to purchase these optional accessories seperately and enter codes to activiate them. The physical connectors are already included on the DP832, they are just not useable until the firmware activates them.

Offline MasterOfNone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2013, 06:32:44 pm »
Would anyone with the DP832A/DP831A be kind enough to measure the width of the device with the corner protectors removed?

Need to know if I can make room for it! :D

Thanks!
Well I didn’t remove the corner protectors I just measured the width of the unit underneath the top protects. You’ll need around 22cm because the handle on the side sticks out a little. Also remember there are vents are on the side, so you’ll need to take that into account as well.
Hope that helps.

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2013, 04:53:41 am »
Short video on the Rigol DP832 power supply

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:25:35 pm by rbola35618 »

Offline thmjpr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2013, 05:16:42 am »
Short video on the Rigol DP832 power supply

thanks, nice quick intro of the unit. The display update rate seems a bit faster than the dp1308a which is good.

Offline nack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2013, 12:29:10 pm »
I have also ordered a DP832 from my local Rigol dealer. It is supposed to be shipping from China in about two weeks.
For the specs and price (305 euro's excl. VAT) it should be a really nice unit.

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2013, 12:43:05 pm »
My DP832 arrived today.
I had been looking at the Instek  GPC3030D, having been happy with one before.
 First impressions are weird numeric pad, but I'm old enough to remember rotary  dial phones, damm I spent a month of in a telephone exchange with Strowger switches as an apprentice  - google that one! I digress.
This a solid, well made unit with quite an intuitive interface. My Fluke 87 III says the thing is within spec, but I'll leave the characterisation to better equipped labs.
Sadly I won't get time to give a workout for a week or so

Summary , so far I think I spent well.

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2013, 07:45:55 pm »
I don't think it loud at all. What I had on was the BK electronic load. That's the one that was making all that noise. I also have a small fan.

I maxed channel one with 100 watt and I don't recall hearing a fan come on. I will recheck just to make sure.

Offline nack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2013, 09:35:40 pm »
Nice, my DP832 arrived today after two weeks of delivery straight from the Rigol factory. Massively heavy peace of kit!!
Haven't done testing on the unit but it operates really well. Even the (initially) funky looking rotary buttons, they are actually quite useful.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2013, 04:24:44 pm »
My DP832 + HiRes add-on just arrived the other day. So far I am very impressed with the overall build quality.

Ease of use is my only complaint so far (which I sort of expected). Using the buttons surrounding the rotary knob is unintuitive and even difficult (finger keeps hitting the wrong buttons). Channels 1 and 2 are isolated and can be placed in series to increase voltage, or parallel to increase current, but there is no internal relay for doing this, which means an extra two wires are required to physically connect the banana jacks. Not the end of the world, but it would have been nice.

It isn't as accurate as I was hoping for; in fact mine doesn't even meet its specification at certain values, but it is still good enough for the types of things I'll be using it for; and with the HiRes add-on, I can make fine adjustments to the output.

Honestly, there isn't much to power supplies, but so far I am happy with this one.

Offline Selectech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2013, 10:33:15 pm »
Mine arrived last week.

Working fine. Getting used to the buttons, but ok.

The low fan noise is not a big deal with all the other stuff in my shop.Most computers make more noise.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2013, 11:12:36 pm »
Mine arrived last week.

Working fine. Getting used to the buttons, but ok.

The low fan noise is not a big deal with all the other stuff in my shop.Most computers make more noise.

Which one did you order?

I ordered a DP832A and they suggested towards the end of July, which is now :) I'm getting anxious!
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline enclab

« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2013, 02:20:36 am »
Based on the available documentation, it looks like the options are based on fixed keys.

Did everyone that got the HiRes option receive the same option key?

Perhaps the DP832 can be unlocked much like the DS1052/1102?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2013, 02:27:44 am »
Did everyone that got the HiRes option receive the same option key?

Perhaps the DP832 can be unlocked much like the DS1052/1102?

It doesn't work that way unfortunately. I purchased the HiRes add-on, and I received a code that I used on Rigol's website, along with my DP832's serial number, to generate a device specific code. However, if I try to re-generate the code on their website (even with the same serial) it says "sorry, this code has already been used".

Offline Selectech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2013, 12:41:52 pm »
I got the DP832. I might add hi-res later, but for now the DP832 is replacing some older units and freeing up some bench space. Compared to the my old units, non-programmable, the resolution of the 832 is just fine.
I do plan to use the programming functions of the unit for some of my automated test & characterization work.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2013, 01:51:05 pm »
The good thing about the DP832 is that the add-ons are quite cheap. Less than $100 for the HiRes module; I realize that PSU's are cheaper anyhow, including the base unit, but it's not really as important in my opinion that this guy get hacked as is with the DSO's and spectrum analyzers, whose pimped out packages cost thousands more.

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2013, 11:59:07 am »
Hi All,
I bought an DP832 which was delivered a few weeks ago. Tonight I finally had time to rip it open. Guess What I found , yep no surprises at a really.  Cursory first peek its a software crippled DP832A and is even labeled as such.
Pics below, sorry just with the phone cam at the moment, I will get some better snaps up later if no one beats me to it. What is not shown here though is the quality mechanical construction - things like press fit mounting nuts on the metals panel etc. Not bolted through or tapped. So far I am happy I spent the $$$
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:17:45 pm by mickpah »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2013, 12:38:03 pm »
Now having looked over both models specs, what is different short of 1mV resolution on voltage, a colour LCD and a slightly worse UI on the A model  :-// after all the models are roughly $300 apart

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2013, 12:59:36 pm »
Now having looked over both models specs, what is different short of 1mV resolution on voltage, a colour LCD and a slightly worse UI on the A model   after all the models are roughly $300 apart

The hardware is the EXACT same between the two models. The 1mV resolution that you mentioned can be unlocked on the non-A model via a $93 license code purchased from Rigol. The screen is color too, just the DP832's screen has been programmed to be monochrome... you can still switch which colour is displayed.

Offline crt

• Regular Contributor
  • LLLLLLL-RGDSLLL-DSARLLL-LLLLLLL
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2013, 01:03:42 pm »
@mickpah

Thank's for photos
So they have two boards (with heatsink face to face), right ?
Love those BIG TOROID Transformers   :-+

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2013, 09:58:27 pm »
@mickpah

Thank's for photos
So they have two boards (with heatsink face to face), right ?
Love those BIG TOROID Transformers   :-+
Hi, yes they are face to face. I am guessing the bottom board looks after the CH1&2 30v supplies ant the top CH3 5v. I literally undid the case screws(torx) and snapped the photos and posted. Now I've had a another quick look it the front panel has the main processor as the i/o ports on the top board are fed from there. It's going to take quite a bit more disassembly to get some photos of that, but I think I can see a Jtag on it. I'll try to do this over the weekend . oh and yes the toroid looks like quality and is one heavy mother, as they are

Offline nquantum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2013, 05:37:05 am »
Anyone have any reason to choose old model like DP1116A instead of new model DP832/832A? Except for more pretty look?
Coz I like the look of old model but new model seem to have better spec.
thank.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2013, 01:31:06 pm »
Anyone have any reason to choose old model like DP1116A instead of new model DP832/832A?

I don't know which model it is, but the high current variant of the older models has a kelvin (4-wire) measurement option so that you can set the voltage at the tip and not have to worry about the loss in the wire. This can be useful, but it required unless your load changes quickly. 

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2013, 01:39:43 pm »
I have not been following these supplies much, but just realised the DP832 is almost half the price of the other two model in that series:
http://www.eyou.com.au/category/programmable-dc-power-supply/
Even without hi-res upgrade that, it looks like great value. Tempted to get one and ditch my stupid Atten.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:50:30 pm by EEVblog »

Offline nquantum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2013, 01:58:17 pm »
I have not been following these supplies much, but just realised the DP832 is almost half the price of the other two model in that series:
http://www.eyou.com.au/category/programmable-dc-power-supply/

I've also notice that spec and price. So the old model DP1116A,DP1308A is not interesting anymore? Only good look? I personal like its look and GUI
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:03:51 pm by nquantum »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf