Author Topic: New Rigol DC PSU's  (Read 157979 times)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol DC PSU's
« Reply #325 on: August 30, 2013, 03:33:40 pm »
I wonder hor Rigol would compete with this Owon ODP3032. It has also 195W.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #326 on: August 30, 2013, 03:36:30 pm »

At least they didn't arrange the buttons in a stupid ass circle.   :-+

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #327 on: August 30, 2013, 09:24:28 pm »

At least they didn't arrange the buttons in a stupid ass circle.   :-+

Meh, everyone bags on the circle.  It lets you enter your desired value directly, which is something that a LOT of power supplies don't have.  As long as they're not scattered randomly around the faceplate I won't complain too much.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #328 on: August 30, 2013, 09:29:36 pm »
The circle is retarded, this isn't art, it's test equipment and there has been a standard layout for eons. 

How would you like it if somebody rearranged your keyboard layout, comparison is no different.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #329 on: August 30, 2013, 09:31:36 pm »
I can type 100 words per minute on my keyboard, and regularly do. I change my power supply set points about three or four times a day on average. Frankly, I don't give a damn how the buttons are arranged as long as I can find them.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: August 30, 2013, 09:35:59 pm »
I don't give a damn how the buttons are arranged as long as I can find them.

Granted there are only ten buttons, not that hard to find.  Still, there is absolutely no reason to break from the norm, like I said, it's retarded, why be different just to be different.

Offline Tepe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #331 on: August 30, 2013, 09:42:19 pm »
The circle is retarded, this isn't art, it's test equipment and there has been a standard layout for eons. 
This standard:

Or this one:
?

How would you like it if somebody rearranged your keyboard layout, comparison is no different.
See above.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #332 on: August 30, 2013, 09:54:14 pm »
Hi folks,

I don't think I've seen any temperature measurements from those running from 110VAC mains so I decided to check it out.  I have a DP832 with serial number beginning DP8C1511.  My unit has the tiny heatsink right up against the capacitors, so it is obviously before Rigol's update to fix the problem.  I used a Fluke 289 with thermocouple for the temperature measurements.

I'm in California and ambient temperature is 28.0 degC in my lab (read: apartment!).  I've had the DP832 on with all channels active (no load however) for > 45mins and the TO220 heatsink is at 78.8 degC.  I have the cover off the unit so cooling is compromised a little.

I have been using the DP832 frequently over the past month and have left it on for several hours at a time.  I have not observed the reset behavior yet.  We will see how it handles over time!

Cheers folks!

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #333 on: August 30, 2013, 11:03:56 pm »

These circles are beautifull 8)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #334 on: August 30, 2013, 11:13:01 pm »
These circles are beautifull 8)

I love analog equipment, couldn't agree more!     :-+

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #335 on: August 31, 2013, 01:23:08 am »
I don't give a damn how the buttons are arranged as long as I can find them.

Granted there are only ten buttons, not that hard to find.  Still, there is absolutely no reason to break from the norm, like I said, it's retarded, why be different just to be different.

Judging solely from the size of the unit and assuming a few design requirements (lcd size, jog shuttle, direct entry, and individual channel on/off controls) it seems pretty clear why they went with a circular layout.

Is it ideal?  Absolutely not.  Is it usable?  F yeah, it's usable. 

Don't get hung up on little things.  You'll get anger fatigue pretty quickly.  "Let that which does not matter truly slide."

Offline MrRedHat

• Supporter
« Reply #336 on: August 31, 2013, 02:03:51 am »
Hi folks,

I'm in California and ambient temperature is 28.0 degC in my lab (read: apartment!).  I've had the DP832 on with all channels active (no load however) for > 45mins and the TO220 heatsink is at 78.8 degC.  I have the cover off the unit so cooling is compromised a little.

I’m in Wisconsin with 110VAC.

I have a DP832A. I didn’t open mine up (don't want to void warranty), but I stuck my probe inside best I could.

I'm using a Fluke 289 probe. The Ambient temperature is 20.6 degC and after > 20 minutes the TO220 heatsink is at 70.2 degC.

Looks like we're getting almost the same exact temperature.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #337 on: August 31, 2013, 02:33:56 am »
I am in the USA too w/110VAC and I posted the FLIR images in the other thread showing it was 263F.  I think if people are measuring 70-80C, it's likely just not good contact with the heat sink (or, some folks have a Rev3 PCB in theirs?).
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline MrRedHat

• Supporter
« Reply #338 on: August 31, 2013, 02:45:10 am »
I may not be making good contact. I don’t want to open mine to find out. I thought it was interesting that my measurements were almost the same as Sparky’s, but he has his cover off.

My DP832A came the first week of August. I wish there was a way to see inside if it’s a Rev3 PCB or not.

Offline riconette

• Contributor
« Reply #339 on: August 31, 2013, 03:13:32 am »
Judging solely from the size of the unit and assuming a few design requirements (lcd size, jog shuttle, direct entry, and individual channel on/off controls) it seems pretty clear why they went with a circular layout.

maybe its a bit like designing water taps (again and again, every year)… "here: ten numerical keys, one comma, a dial and four directional arrows… make it fresh, something NEW".
free bradley manning!

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #340 on: August 31, 2013, 03:34:06 am »
I am in the USA too w/110VAC and I posted the FLIR images in the other thread showing it was 263F.  I think if people are measuring 70-80C, it's likely just not good contact with the heat sink (or, some folks have a Rev3 PCB in theirs?).

I may not be making good contact. I don’t want to open mine to find out. I thought it was interesting that my measurements were almost the same as Sparky’s, but he has his cover off.

My DP832A came the first week of August. I wish there was a way to see inside if it’s a Rev3 PCB or not.

Thanks for follow-up guys!  I couldn't make out exactly where the heatsink was and didn't want to risk poking around in there with it on, so off the cover came.  I was careful with the sticker --- it's still intact!

I got my unit mid-July, and the capacitor + heatsink arrangement looks just like in Dave's video, which I think is Rev2.  If you know what you are looking for in Rev 3 (see pic in Dave's post here), I think you'll be able to make out the new capacitor and heatsink layout through the case vent holes.

Interestingly, the above post of Dave's has it that Rigol measured 76degC in 28degC ambient with the Rev3 board, which is almost exactly what MrRedHat and myself have been measuring!  Granted, I was touching the side of the heatsink and not the tab of the LM317, but I made sure to have good contact with the heatsink and monitored the temperature for a few minutes until it stabilized.  We don't know how Rigol did their temperature measurements.

I'll repeat my tests this weekend, with the cover back on and see what I get.

Corporate666: do you have a thermocouple to compare against your FLIR images?

Are there any other guys running on 110VAC that can take some temperature measurements for comparison?

Sparky

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #341 on: August 31, 2013, 05:43:52 am »

Are there any other guys running on 110VAC that can take some temperature measurements for comparison?

Sparky

I do, but to be honest I think I am going to just wait to see what Rigol says... not that I am refusing to help the cause further :)  But the way I have the DP832 mounted makes it a royal PITA to remove it from my rack and get it alone on the bench... plus I would be a bit nervous about poking around with the thermocouple as well  :-\

I am no pro at thermals, but I believe I have always read that to get a good reading, the thermocouple should be well attached (welded or with thermal epoxy) to the sink?  My thermocouple is a ball on the end, and I know when I use it for PCB thermal testing, I get drastically different results just holding it against something and using a clamp to really hold it in place with some thermal epoxy on it too.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #342 on: September 01, 2013, 05:48:40 pm »
Please, Dave, what PSU do you prefer? Rigol DP832

or Atten PPS3205T-3S

or maybe Owon ODP3032??
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-dc-psu%27s/?action=dlattach;attach=59202;image
The Atten PPS3205T-3S has a weird user interface, but probably it has no serious hardware bugs as the Rigol DP832 does.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #343 on: September 01, 2013, 06:48:55 pm »

Thanks for follow-up guys!  I couldn't make out exactly where the heatsink was and didn't want to risk poking around in there with it on, so off the cover came.  I was careful with the sticker --- it's still intact!

I got my unit mid-July, and the capacitor + heatsink arrangement looks just like in Dave's video, which I think is Rev2.  If you know what you are looking for in Rev 3 (see pic in Dave's post here), I think you'll be able to make out the new capacitor and heatsink layout through the case vent holes.

Interestingly, the above post of Dave's has it that Rigol measured 76degC in 28degC ambient with the Rev3 board, which is almost exactly what MrRedHat and myself have been measuring!  Granted, I was touching the side of the heatsink and not the tab of the LM317, but I made sure to have good contact with the heatsink and monitored the temperature for a few minutes until it stabilized.  We don't know how Rigol did their temperature measurements.

Sparky

It's not like Atten is of top-notch quality either. *cough* 858D Hot air rework *cough*
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #344 on: September 01, 2013, 07:12:18 pm »

Sparky

It's not like Atten is of top-notch quality either. *cough* 858D Hot air rework *cough*

Ummm, I didn't say anything about Atten... I don't get why you quoted what I said?  :-//

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #345 on: September 01, 2013, 11:38:50 pm »

Sparky

Ummm, I didn't say anything about Atten... I don't get why you quoted what I said?  :-//

Oops. Sorry. I was pointing at what Hydrawerk said. Lol
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #346 on: September 02, 2013, 01:11:33 am »
I have both units. I still like the Rigol. The Atten has a bug where the read out freezes and to reset the display, you have to turn off the Atten and re-start it. Also, the quality built on my Atten was very bad. It looked like the smaller board that had SMT resistor were hand soldered and the solder did not look very good.

Despite the Rigol's problems, I am sure that Rigol will fix the problems and honor its three year warranty.

Robert

Offline JohannP

• Contributor
« Reply #347 on: September 03, 2013, 02:58:58 pm »
I have put my order for a DP832A on hold with TEquipment due to the problems reported by Dave and the blog. Dawn from TEquipment say that Rigol is aware of the problem and they are working on a fix currently if is not fixed already.

Here is mail from TEquipment regarding the problem of the DP832 PSU.

Quote:

Chat Transcript
09:59:56 AM [Johann Prinsloo] Dawn are u online?
10:00:14 AM [Dawn M]
Hello! Thank you for contacting TEquipment.NET today.

10:00:38 AM [Dawn M] Hello Johann. It is nice to hear from you again. How may we help you?
10:00:57 AM [Johann Prinsloo] Dawn, Johann Prinsloo here. Have you received my mail from yesterday?
10:01:48 AM [Dawn M] I do not see it in my inbox. May I have the email address you sent the message from so I can search for it?
10:02:47 AM [Johann Prinsloo] I have send it via "Order Inquiry" from my order status page icw order E15?????
10:02:52 AM [Dawn M] Our offices were closed yesterday due to the Labor Day Holiday.
10:03:46 AM [Dawn M] I have the email Johann.
10:04:57 AM [Dawn M] We can certainly put the order on hold for you. We have been made aware of the problem and are waiting for an official word from Rigol on the issue and solution.
10:04:58 AM [Johann Prinsloo] Do you perhaps know if Rigol is already working on a fix?
10:05:17 AM [Dawn M] Yes, as far as we know, it may have already been fixed.
10:05:38 AM [Dawn M] As soon as we have an official word from Rigol, we will be in contact with you.
10:06:25 AM [Johann Prinsloo] Dawn that sound good. I am looking forward to you mail and delivery of this order than.
10:08:06 AM [Dawn M] Thank you for your patience Johann.
10:10:09 AM [Johann Prinsloo] Thank you till later

Unquote.

Lets wait and see what Rigol is doing icw this known problem.

Best regards

Johann

Offline olsennTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #348 on: September 03, 2013, 03:43:55 pm »
Does 800mA for the display seem excessivce to anyone else? It's not even that well backlit.If the current cannot be reduced, and another tap on the transformer can't be used to create the 5V (instead of stepping down from 12V), then the only thing I can see Rigol doing is using a bigger heatsync, and possibly switching to a different regulator that can handle greater dye temperatures for extended periods of time. Of course they're also going to want to move those electrolytics out of the way as well.

Offline cybernet

• Regular Contributor
  • pm deactivated, use the search function ...
« Reply #349 on: September 05, 2013, 01:18:13 pm »
RTS;

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf