Author Topic: New Rigol DC PSU's  (Read 159379 times)

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
Re: New Rigol DC PSU's
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2013, 09:43:23 am »
The LM317 has a remarkably high Rth,JC at 17oK/W, so how hot is too hot depends highly on the actual device dissipation.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2013, 11:27:28 am »
The LM317 has a remarkably high Rth,JC at 17oK/W, so how hot is too hot depends highly on the actual device dissipation.

Data sheets from 3 different manufacturers say 4, 5, and 5, C/W for the LM317 in TO220.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2013, 11:32:14 am »
Thanks for the confirmation.
IMO this is just way too high, and bad design oversight. There wouldn't be any margin in this at all. And at that temp right next to the filter caps is just begging for premature failure.
If anyone else can get some heatsink contact data as well that would be great.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:35:37 am by EEVblog »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2013, 11:46:24 am »
Data sheets from 3 different manufacturers say 4, 5, and 5, C/W for the LM317 in TO220.
TI says 17 K/W for TO-220, Linear says 4 K/W typical, but no maximum for 'T' package for standard chips (not LM317A). Haven't checked any other brands. :-//

Offline gilbjd

• Contributor
« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2013, 12:08:28 pm »
I'm getting up to 104 degrees Celsius on the heatsink Dave. The unit has been powered up for an hour or so with no load.  Mine has a lot of adhesive between the two capacitors. I can't actually see the heatsink so I have to bend the thermocouple wire a bit and slide it into position to make contact.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: August 28, 2013, 12:08:53 pm »
TI says 17 K/W for TO-220,

That data sheet also says 19 C/W for JA and 3 C/W for JP. The JC value being resistance to the plastic of the case, JP to the metal tab, and JA the whole case to ambient is the only interpretation that makes sense.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2013, 12:15:27 pm »
I'm getting up to 104 degrees Celsius on the heatsink Dave.

Well, that's just ridiculous now. This is a massive design oversight  :--

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #257 on: August 28, 2013, 12:36:47 pm »
I'm getting up to 104 degrees Celsius on the heatsink Dave.

Well, that's just ridiculous now. This is a massive design oversight  :--

Assuming this carries across all units, it's more than ridiculous.  More like a downright embarrassment to Rigol's PS design team, and cause for a complete recall of all units, IMO.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2013, 12:47:51 pm »
That data sheet also says 19 C/W for JA and 3 C/W for JP. The JC value being resistance to the plastic of the case, JP to the metal tab, and JA the whole case to ambient is the only interpretation that makes sense.

Yes, you are probably right, considering the second footnote. However Rth,JC is usually taken to mean between the die and the heat sink contact surface, so they ought to rework that table a bit.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #259 on: August 28, 2013, 12:57:48 pm »
Assuming this carries across all units, it's more than ridiculous.  More like a downright embarrassment to Rigol's PS design team, and cause for a complete recall of all units, IMO.

They will fix it in software by turning up the fan speed :)

Offline olsennTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #260 on: August 28, 2013, 01:05:31 pm »
Why would this happen with no load? Or is it just a internal digital proccessor's power that overheats?

Offline wizzy

• Contributor
« Reply #261 on: August 28, 2013, 01:08:01 pm »
Was about to purchase one today... Is there room for a larger Heatsink on it?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #262 on: August 28, 2013, 01:16:16 pm »
Why would this happen with no load? Or is it just a internal digital proccessor's power that overheats?

It has nothing to do with the load, it is just powering the digital control circuitry.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2013, 01:25:37 pm »
Was about to purchase one today... Is there room for a larger Heatsink on it?

Technically, yes. But with the TO-220 freestanding like that (from memory I think the HS is not attached to the PCB), it would not be be advised.
It's tempting to mount it on the diode bridge heatsink and hand wire it back in. But then you have isolation insulation issues.

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2013, 01:52:19 pm »
And at that temp right next to the filter caps is just begging for premature failure.

Honestly I'm quite disappointed by this stupid design. Even a noob knows that caps hate high temperatures. Why the hell they don't take it in consideration?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #265 on: August 28, 2013, 01:55:55 pm »
Is there room for a larger Heatsink on it?

Like Dave said, you'd have to isolate it, which is not undoable.  Point is though you shouldn't have to, and if they missed something this simple, what else did they dick up?

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #266 on: August 28, 2013, 02:04:20 pm »
if they missed something this simple, what else did they dick up?

You're right...  :palm:

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2013, 02:14:12 pm »
And at that temp right next to the filter caps is just begging for premature failure.

Honestly I'm quite disappointed by this stupid design. Even a noob knows that caps hate high temperatures. Why the hell they don't take it in consideration?

It was deemed an acceptable risk, probably.  I've seen hot caps last a very long time, and I've seen hot caps last a mere week.  Presumably they've done some testing and determined that they'll last beyond the warranty period.

I'm still an electronics newbie, but it seems that you could add a bit of thermal insulation between the heat source and the heat sensitive components, giving the heat sensitive components a longer life.  Am I wrong on that?

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2013, 02:16:59 pm »

I'm still an electronics newbie, but it seems that you could add a bit of thermal insulation between the heat source and the heat sensitive components, giving the heat sensitive components a longer life.  Am I wrong on that?

Maybe some Aerogel 8)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:36:11 pm by robrenz »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2013, 02:40:07 pm »
Maybe some Aerogel 8)

Would protect the caps, but further heat up the LM317 due to the reduced air flow. ;)

Offline sha256

« Reply #270 on: August 28, 2013, 04:06:38 pm »
After about an hour I'm getting 100C.  I'm thinking it's epoxy (to solve Dave's unattached heatsink concern) and bigger heatsink time (to solve some dumb ass mistake). :-+
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:25:50 pm by sha256 »

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #271 on: August 28, 2013, 04:39:06 pm »
Maybe some Aerogel 8)

Would protect the caps, but further heat up the LM317 due to the reduced air flow. ;)

Perhaps some simple ducting or a fan with higher CFM would keep things cool enough.

(My naivete took me in a lot of places that make no sense before I came to that conclusion.  Maybe that one makes no sense, either, but it makes more sense than my peltier idea by a wide margin.)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: August 28, 2013, 05:58:05 pm »

It (LM317) has nothing to do with the load, it (LM317) is just powering the digital control circuitry.
So the overheated LM317 is going to blow up in two years. Then the digital control circuitry will be destroyed by too high voltage (maybe 12V?).
Well, i don't think the Rigol engineers are stupid. They want me to buy a new Rigol PSU every two years.
Only Tektronix stuff will last for decades, (but their scopes are obsolete and not being innovated.)
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #273 on: August 28, 2013, 06:08:10 pm »
from the picture of the hand + thermocouple against the side of the case, it looks like it might be possible for you to punch a large hole in the side of the case and mount a 40-60mm fan.
or you could just attach a 12cm fan to the outside without any physical alterations or something.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
« Reply #274 on: August 28, 2013, 06:25:25 pm »
Why not measure the voltage drop over the LM317 and then current... put in a power resistor in series to reduce disipated power from the LM317, or why not squeeze in a bigger heat sink?

Ultimate solution would be finding a lower voltage source, from within the 832, that could drive the digital board, and have the LM317 run cooler.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf