Author Topic: New Rigol DC PSU's  (Read 157978 times)

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Rigol DC PSU's
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2013, 07:51:14 am »
Hi EEblogger,
I think I found a bug in the DP832. I have three of the DP832 that have the same problem.   The problem appears in channel 1.  With no load, if you set the voltage on channel 1 to 1 volts and then try to set the current to 9mA or less, the current display shows that 43ma is being delivered.  I can then use the rotary dial to slowly increase the current limit from 1ma and finally at 10mA, the current display then does back to zero amps
<snip>

Thanks for reporting the bug!  I tested on my DP832 and I have the same result.  I do not have the hi-res option.

The bug is present for all voltages up to the maximum of 30V.

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2013, 10:36:19 am »
Just went hunting for firmware and found they have added two more models to the range
DP811A Programmable DC Power Supply
single channel,dual range with remote sense programmable
http://www.rigol.com/prodserv/DP811A/
and
DP821A Programmable DC Power Supply
is a dual channel programmable
http://www.rigol.com/prodserv/DP821A/

both being "A" models seem to have all the options standard -
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:35:56 pm by mickpah »

Offline TJCornish

« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2013, 12:49:00 pm »
Just went hunting for firmware and found they gave add two more models to the range
DP811A Programmable DC Power Supply
single channel,dual range with remote sense programmable
http://www.rigol.com/prodserv/DP811A/
and
DP821A Programmable DC Power Supply
is a dual channel programmable
http://www.rigol.com/prodserv/DP821A/

both being "A" models seem to have all the options standard -
Did you notice any specs?  The pages you linked to seem to have been taken down.

Offline Marc M.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2013, 01:20:09 pm »
Did you notice any specs?  The pages you linked to seem to have been taken down.
The pages load fine here in Iowa (USA).  The specs are there but they are in Chinese.  I'm tempted to pick up one of the Rigol 800 series supplies but I've got so many high quality older supplies it's tough  to justify the cost.  But if/when the the Rigols get hacked, I'll probably drop the $400 and pick one up ;).
Don't replace the cap, just empty the filter!

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: August 16, 2013, 01:23:21 pm »
they load fine here also (Norway), and are in english ;), make sure that "international" is selected in the top right corner..

datasheet attahced.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:28:17 pm by neslekkim »

Offline TJCornish

« Reply #230 on: August 16, 2013, 08:35:22 pm »
they load fine here also (Norway), and are in english ;), make sure that "international" is selected in the top right corner..

datasheet attahced.
That was it, thanks.  The information apparently hasn't been posted to the North American site yet.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Anyone Up for Testing Your 832/832A?
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2013, 11:10:42 pm »
Just checking to see if any Rigol 832/832A owners might be up for running a test or two similar to what Ian did with his TTi Power Supply:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/comparing-two-power-supplies/

Any bets on whether in terms of the speed and accuracy of regulation the Rigol will perform more like:
A) the TTi
B) The Extech
C) Something notably different?

I know the Rigol has a bunch of features that the TTi doesn't, but how will the Rigol do on these tests?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:13:15 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #232 on: August 17, 2013, 02:58:14 am »
I keep staring at the DP832. I think it looks quite enticing for the price point... I'm wondering if there is any option in the 830 software for enabling the full color screen? I guess I can call rigolNA monday AM and see what the real upgrde options are for this....

-jbl
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:05:30 am by jasonbrent »

Offline olsennTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #233 on: August 17, 2013, 03:48:52 am »
Seriously, why does anyone give a shit about the screen? That isn't an important part of the functionality of the PSU.

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #234 on: August 17, 2013, 03:50:26 am »
Seriously, why does anyone give a shit about the screen? That isn't an important part of the functionality of the PSU.

To each their own.

$724 for the A vs $~$400 that's software upgradable for the non A variant. As a consumer and hobbyist, I'd really like to end up with a -A variant, fully functional with my expenditure amortized some...

-jbl
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:52:46 am by jasonbrent »

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #235 on: August 17, 2013, 03:51:17 am »
Seriously, why does anyone give a shit about the seats? They aren't an important part of the functionality of the car.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Re: Anyone Up for Testing Your 832/832A? - Spikes?
« Reply #236 on: August 17, 2013, 08:41:51 am »
Just checking to see if any Rigol 832/832A owners might be up for running a test or two similar to what Ian did with his TTi Power Supply:

Any bets on whether in terms of the speed and accuracy of regulation the Rigol will perform more like:
A) the TTi
B) The Extech
C) Something notably different?

I know the Rigol has a bunch of features that the TTi doesn't, but how will the Rigol do on these tests?

Ok, after seeing Dave's video I'm done worrying about the looks of the unit; it might not make the Designer Hall of Fame but it's very usable.  Sure it could be improved here and there and perhaps with firmware it might be.  The only thing in the video that still leaves the jury out (at least in my case) are those turn on spikes - they could be worse, I suppose.  What do people here think, the spikes are no big deal or something that could cause someone to look for a different PS?  Thanks for any insight on this.

- If you look at the TTi turn on curves the TTi seemed notably better, but maybe I'm missing something?

PS, the idea that someone would always disconnect their DUT(s) before turning on the PS isn't a real practical solution; if that was the SOP there wouldn't be much sense in having on/off output controls for each channel.  Either the thing starts at or reasonably close to 0 and then comes up suitably gracefully or it doesn't, just sayin'.  Maybe the answer is if your DUT can't withstand a quick spike maybe it isn't the right PS?  Or maybe Dave's test unit got out of the factory without the proper QC?  Bummer that this one issue lingers - it's the one characteristic that the lower end PS's seem to share; in most other respects the 832 looks like a very good product.  Maybe it's just a matter of degrees and a "small" "sort of quick" spike is acceptable?  Really looking foward to the experts here weighing in on this.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:00:24 am by Electro Fan »

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2013, 08:55:02 am »
Seriously, why does anyone give a shit about the seats? They aren't an important part of the functionality of the car.
totally correct,

I bought one about 6 weeks ago - pulled it apart for a look and was impressed by the build quality - and now use it happily.
I does what I need it to do and does it well. If I need the options later I'll add them as needed. Till then money is used on what I need now.Thats the  difference between a 832 and and 832A for me anyway.

For me there will never be a perfect product (of any kind) it comes down to what I can afford and what quirks I live with - or build one to my own specs , but who has time for that ? at least for a product with this level of sophistication

Does the job for me at the right price, if it doesn't for you don't buy it simple really

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Anyone Up for Testing Your 832/832A? - Spikes?
« Reply #238 on: August 17, 2013, 10:42:36 am »
The only thing in the video that still leaves the jury out (at least in my case) are those turn on spikes - they could be worse, I suppose.  What do people here think, the spikes are no big deal or something that could cause someone to look for a different PS?  Thanks for any insight on this.

Generally speaking in your $100K board is THAT critical to short power on spikes, which could easily be causes by inductance in the wiring of any direct PSU connection, then you would be using local regulation at the critical points. I was waxing a bit lyrical there in an ideal world.

Maybe it's just a matter of degrees and a "small" "sort of quick" spike is acceptable?  Really looking foward to the experts here weighing in on this.

Often it comes down to the total energy in a given spike.

Offline berk98

« Reply #239 on: August 28, 2013, 03:55:48 am »
Silly question, but what direction does the fan blow on each of your guys' DP832(A) units?  I just noticed that the fan on my DP832 blows inward from the back into the unit, whereas Dave's blows outward out of the unit towards the back.  I ordered mine way back in March, but since I didn't receive it until June I don't think it was from another batch.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #240 on: August 28, 2013, 04:06:05 am »
BTW, I've been told Rigol are looking into the power on spike problem.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: August 28, 2013, 04:20:39 am »

Cool
Thanks

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #242 on: August 28, 2013, 04:29:09 am »
Dave,

Also tell them about the bug I found in channel 1. The current display show a current on 35mA with no load when the current limit is set to below 10mA.

Robert

Offline riconette

• Contributor
« Reply #243 on: August 28, 2013, 05:01:02 am »

i've just seen the teardown and im wondering if the output caps may cause the voltage regulation to overreact on switching the unit on.
free bradley manning!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2013, 05:36:44 am »
NEW ISSUE:
I was just going to have a play around with the spike issue and noticed my unit reset itself every few minutes.
Cause not 100% confirmed yet, BUT the main 5V logic regulator (U27 LM317) on the top board that powers all the digital processor stuff is running STINKING HOT. Like 110+ degC after a few minutes. I think the reg is going into thermal shutdown and that is the reason for the reset.
Can anyone else confirm what temp the reg normally runs at?
12V in, 5V out OK.

I find it almost impossible to believe this is normal, but also hard to believe I did something in the teardown that is causes excess current draw.
 :-//

Yes, I have this on video, but would like some confirmation before I rush to upload and make a fool of myself  ;D

Top left corner here on the small heatsink.
It should be possible to get through the vent hold on and angle on the right side (top rear vent) with a small thermocouple and probe the heaksink behind the two large capacitors.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:34:40 am by EEVblog »

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #245 on: August 28, 2013, 06:20:15 am »
Dave,

Slightly OT but: If you still have the unit open, would you mind giving us the dimensions for the monster mains transformer, please? I'm curious about the potential VA rating, given its apparent size.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2013, 06:26:26 am »
Slightly OT but: If you still have the unit open, would you mind giving us the dimensions for the monster mains transformer, please? I'm curious about the potential VA rating, given its apparent size.

110mm dia x 105mm tall.
It is marked 400VA on the sticker on the side.

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2013, 06:43:08 am »
110mm dia x 105mm tall.
It is marked 400VA on the sticker on the side.

Nice, thanks. That gives it a potential VA rating of above 500W, judged solely by its volume. The difference can probably be explained by its slightly odd shape, compared to a standard toroid, plus the large-ish number of secondaries.

Offline nack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2013, 08:59:48 am »
I've bend the thermocouple in a small 3cm radius and angled it in just after the two caps. After 10-15 minutes I probed the heatsink and measured up to 96 degC. A little too hot? No load connected, and haven't got it to reset itself either?!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:01:59 am by nack »

Offline sha256

« Reply #249 on: August 28, 2013, 09:05:20 am »
I got about 74C after about five minutes.  The probe was contacting the top edge of the heatsink.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf