Author Topic: New Rigol DC PSU's  (Read 157969 times)

Offline jasonbrent

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Rigol DC PSU's
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2013, 05:16:00 am »
Is the LCD on the 832 really limited to just a few colors? Or is it just software limited? I'm somewhat surprised there hasn't been an attempt at converting an 832 to an 832A in software/firmware yet.

I *like* the looks of the 832(A) all things considered.

I need a benchtop supply and the 832 is pretty enticing... but the monochrome would get annoying to me knowing a full color option exists (it'd eat at my inner geek forever).

-jbl

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
sample rates and sensing questions
« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2013, 06:45:57 am »
Q1: I might have missed it in this thread and haven't seen it elsewhere:  does anyone know the sample rate on these scopes?  The signalpath 6 part video that seemed to like the DP1116A and DP1208A indicated samping speed might have been a tad better - any chance these new models are any faster?

Q2:  Separate question, in the signalpath review it looked like rather than using rear remote sense the 1116A or the 1208A had the ability to do sensing from the front terminals and without any special twisted wiring - maybe that was a different type or purpose for sensing?  Do these new models have this front terminal sense capabilty?

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2013, 06:46:24 am »
Is the LCD on the 832 really limited to just a few colors? Or is it just software limited? I'm somewhat surprised there hasn't been an attempt at converting an 832 to an 832A in software/firmware yet.

I need a benchtop supply and the 832 is pretty enticing... but the monochrome would get annoying to me knowing a full color option exists (it'd eat at my inner geek forever).

-jbl

I'm not sitting at my desk now looking at the display, but I am pretty sure it's just a different color backlight.  Well, technically I guess "forelight" since it's probably just an inverted color display.  It's only selectable from a few colors...red, blue, green and white, IIRC.  Makes sense if they are using RGB LED's to backlight it. 

The DP832A appears to have a full color display.

It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2013, 07:14:39 am »

-jbl

I'm not sitting at my desk now looking at the display, but I am pretty sure it's just a different color backlight.  Well, technically I guess "forelight" since it's probably just an inverted color display.  It's only selectable from a few colors...red, blue, green and white, IIRC.  Makes sense if they are using RGB LED's to backlight it. 

You would think someone in the Rigol marketing department would find a way to communicate the characteristics of the displays and how you "get more" as you move up the product line.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #204 on: August 09, 2013, 09:28:48 am »

Isn't there a setup screen which at one point shows you all the different UI colors to choose from at once as colored squares? I'm pretty sure I saw it on some photo. To me it looks like one more case of Siglent Rigol differentiating their product line by firmware (by driving the color LCD in monochrome mode in that case).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 09:34:06 am by Zbig »

Offline nack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2013, 03:35:44 pm »
It's a color LCD. Firmware limited to a selection of a few color scheme's only.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #206 on: August 09, 2013, 03:49:37 pm »
Is the LCD on the 832 really limited to just a few colors?
< snip >

Isn't there a setup screen which at one point shows you all the different UI colors to choose from at once as colored squares? I'm pretty sure I saw it on some photo. To me it looks like one more case of Siglent Rigol differentiating their product line by firmware (by driving the color LCD in monochrome mode in that case).

It's a color LCD. Firmware limited to a selection of a few color scheme's only.

Zbig and nack have it right. 

If in doubt, go look at the pic in post #83 (page 6)

Offline etc6849

• Contributor
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2013, 07:16:22 pm »
Anyone else also waiting for a back order unit from Tequipment.net?

I ordered mine on 7/28, but it still hasn't shipped.  I called once before and TE said 8/5 was the revised ship date, but that never happened.  I called again and they stated their stock was off and they actually had a couple DP831A's listed as DP832A's in their system.

Now the status is 8/30/2013.  How reliable is TE?  Should I just reorder from RigolNA?  RigolNA.com says 7-9 weeks?!?  I ordered all of my other stuff from TE and everything has always shipped next day (DS2072 and DG4062).  Until now that is...

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2013, 11:27:58 pm »
Anyone else also waiting for a back order unit from Tequipment.net?

I ordered mine on 7/28, but it still hasn't shipped.  I called once before and TE said 8/5 was the revised ship date, but that never happened.  I called again and they stated their stock was off and they actually had a couple DP831A's listed as DP832A's in their system.

Now the status is 8/30/2013.  How reliable is TE?  Should I just reorder from RigolNA?  RigolNA.com says 7-9 weeks?!?  I ordered all of my other stuff from TE and everything has always shipped next day (DS2072 and DG4062).  Until now that is...

I think TE only knows what Rigol tells them, which isn't always correct... not sure it's TE's fault though.

Having said that, I ordered my DS2072 directly from Rigol, who had it in stock while TE was waiting for a shipment.  So it may very well be that your power supply is in stock with Rigol, even if not with TE.  Rigol told me they don't really bother updating their website, so don't rely on the 7-9 weeks thing on their site.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2013, 11:34:36 pm »
I think TE only knows what Rigol tells them, which isn't always correct... not sure it's TE's fault though.

It's usually not. As a big provider they have many thousands of products to juggle.
My 832 is supposed to be on the truck today.

Offline olsennTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2013, 12:35:15 am »

Some items tequipment stocks in their own warehouses, and other items end up getting drop shipped directly from the manufacturer (aka Rigol). So if TE doesn't already have the product on their shelves, they won't bother getting Rigol to ship it to the tequipment warehouse to be re-shipped to the customer... tequipment will simply tell Rigol in China to send the product to the customer's address. In these cases, they really have no idea when the product will arrive

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Calibrating/Adjusting/Referencing Voltage and Current on Rigol PSUs?
« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2013, 11:14:29 pm »
Hi, Does anyone know if the Rigol power supplies have an external (user interface driven) process for "calibrating" (ie, adjusting the display readouts for) voltage and current?  The reason I ask is that the Korads have such a process.  I'm not sure yet how well the process works but if a $100 Korad can support such a process perhaps the $400-$800 Rigols can do likewise?  To be square on the Korads it's not really a full blown "calibration" process but with the Korad you can use a DMM or an electronic load to reference the voltage and current readings to another device.  Anyone know if this is doable on the Rigols?  Thanks, EF

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
Re: Calibrating/Adjusting/Referencing Voltage and Current on Rigol PSUs?
« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2013, 11:24:47 pm »
Hi, Does anyone know if the Rigol power supplies have an external (user interface driven) process for "calibrating" (ie, adjusting the display readouts for) voltage and current?  The reason I ask is that the Korads have such a process.  I'm not sure yet how well the process works but if a $100 Korad can support such a process perhaps the $400-$800 Rigols can do likewise?  To be square on the Korads it's not really a full blown "calibration" process but with the Korad you can use a DMM or an electronic load to reference the voltage and current readings to another device.  Anyone know if this is doable on the Rigols?  Thanks, EF
yes, you can
press Utility -> Test/Cal -> ManualCal , but you need to ask them for the password , according to the manual this is a simple request and they will supply it

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2013, 11:25:25 pm »
Yes, the DP800-series at least can be calibrated in software by going to "Utility --> Test/Cal"

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: August 14, 2013, 06:53:26 am »
yes, you can
press Utility -> Test/Cal -> ManualCal , but you need to ask them for the password , according to the manual this is a simple request and they will supply it

micpah and olsenn, Thanks.  The more I figure out what I think I'd like in a PS the more the 832 looks like it is it.  Three questions still on the drawing board:  1) is it a little large (takes up a lot of bench space)?, 2) does it make sense to start with the 832 or just go all in for the 832A?, 3) can I live with that face/plate?  :palm:    (Maybe it will grow on me and I'll learn to think it's beautiful :-*).  (I don't get why they couldn't have left well enough alone and stuck with the DP1116A and DP1308A cosmetics.)

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #215 on: August 14, 2013, 07:09:01 am »
micpah and olsenn, Thanks.  The more I figure out what I think I'd like in a PS the more the 832 looks like it is it.  Three questions still on the drawing board:  1) is it a little large (takes up a lot of bench space)?, 2) does it make sense to start with the 832 or just go all in for the 832A?, 3) can I live with that face/plate?  :palm:    (Maybe it will grow on me and I'll learn to think it's beautiful :-*).  (I don't get why they couldn't have left well enough alone and stuck with the DP1116A and DP1308A cosmetics.)

1) Hard to quantify the dimensions... I guess they are listed on the Rigol site.  I don't find it to be too large.  It's bigger than my little crappy Mastech supply, but a lot smaller than my giant 2000W Agilent supply.  My test equipment is up on a shelf like Dave's, and it doesn't overhang the shelf, at least.

2) I had the 832A on order, and changed it to the 832.  What feature of the A model would you want/need/use?  If you get the hi-res option on the 832, the only difference is 1mv vs. 10mv OVP on the A model vs the A.  Do you need 1mv OVP resolution?  If you do, the 832A is the one to have.  If you don't, I don't see why anyone would get the 832A - it's identical to the 832 in every other functional respect.

3) I much prefer the new layout.  It is unquestionably an improvement in functionality.  Aesthetics, meh, to each their own - but there is no doubt it's more functional.  It has the "all off" button, it has the dial softkey, and most importantly it has a rotary knob which I use every time I use the supply.  The preset button and a clicky power switch are also superior in favor of the 831/832.  I actually find the ring layout of the number keys to be better than the standard keypad layout on my PM2811... I just find it easier to adjust with the buttons, the OK, and the dial all in the same place. 

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: August 14, 2013, 07:43:14 am »

1) Hard to quantify the dimensions... I guess they are listed on the Rigol site.  I don't find it to be too large.  It's bigger than my little crappy Mastech supply, but a lot smaller than my giant 2000W Agilent supply.  My test equipment is up on a shelf like Dave's, and it doesn't overhang the shelf, at least.

2) I had the 832A on order, and changed it to the 832.  What feature of the A model would you want/need/use?  If you get the hi-res option on the 832, the only difference is 1mv vs. 10mv OVP on the A model vs the A.  Do you need 1mv OVP resolution?  If you do, the 832A is the one to have.  If you don't, I don't see why anyone would get the 832A - it's identical to the 832 in every other functional respect.

3) I much prefer the new layout.  It is unquestionably an improvement in functionality.  Aesthetics, meh, to each their own - but there is no doubt it's more functional.  It has the "all off" button, it has the dial softkey, and most importantly it has a rotary knob which I use every time I use the supply.  The preset button and a clicky power switch are also superior in favor of the 831/832.  I actually find the ring layout of the number keys to be better than the standard keypad layout on my PM2811... I just find it easier to adjust with the buttons, the OK, and the dial all in the same place.

Ok, Corp - you are a good advocate for why the front panel is functional and why that should trump "looks".  You are probably right - functionality over cosmetics if we must.

Turning to the model trade-offs, the 832 packages the following features into options that would otherwise be standard on the 832A:
Hi-Res - I kind of like the extra res, but it's more of a want than a need
RS232/LAN - seems like you need this if you want to connect to a computer (I'm modifying this so as not to send anyone in the wrong direction; as olsenn points out below all you need is the USB connector.)
On-line Monitor & Analysis - haven't figured out the use case(s) yet
4 Channel Trigger In & Out - haven't figured out the use case(s) yet

The pricing looks like if you want 3 of the 4 you could have had the 4th for free; if you want 2 or less the 832 would be the better deal. (In lieu of the USB consideration, the crossover point changes further in favor of the 832 - the 832 is looking like a very good value.)

One other item is the display.  The 832A seems to provide full color vs. the 4 monochrome choices on the 832.  Related to this:  On the 832 it looks like the main display UI has 3 vertical panels, 1 for each channel.  The 832A looks like the main display UI has the three triangular/diagonal slices with the circle overlap in the middle.  I think I prefer the 3 vertical panels - can the 3 vertical panel look be invoked on the 832A or is that just for the 832?

Also, what is the "critical mode (UR)"?  The manual presents it but doesn't seem to define it.  (Is that just the process of the unit toggling on it's own from CV to CC and vice versa, or something else?)

PS, if Rigol is on their marketing game they will make some videos that present the virtues and use cases for the options and also show off the color display; we'll see how long it takes for the marketing department to do it's magic.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:07:13 pm by Electro Fan »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2013, 03:53:40 pm »
RS232/LAN - seems like you need this if you want to connect to a computer

Nope. The DP832 still comes with USB connectivity which is all you'll likely need unless you have specific requirements to have it connected over the network.

I'd recommend getting the DP832 (not the DP832A) and purchasing the Hi-Res add-on seperately

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #218 on: August 14, 2013, 05:58:45 pm »
RS232/LAN - seems like you need this if you want to connect to a computer

Nope. The DP832 still comes with USB connectivity which is all you'll likely need unless you have specific requirements to have it connected over the network.

I'd recommend getting the DP832 (not the DP832A) and purchasing the Hi-Res add-on seperately

olsenn, very good catch - USB is all you need for PC coms; that might be a pivotal feature in deciding which way to go.  Thx for point that out.

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2013, 01:59:57 pm »
Hi EEblogger,

I think I found a bug in the DP832. I have three of the DP832 that have the same problem.   The problem appears in channel 1.  With no load, if you set the voltage on channel 1 to 1 volts and then try to set the current to 9mA or less, the current display shows that 43ma is being delivered.  I can then use the rotary dial to slowly increase the current limit from 1ma and finally at 10mA, the current display then does back to zero amps

If you do the same to channel 2, no problem. You can set the current limit all the way down to 1 mA in channel 2. However channel 1, the current limit start acting up below 10mA. 

I have the Hi resolution option. I think it may be a firmware problem. Will be calling Rigol to let them know.

Anybody that has the hi res option check their PS.

Robert

Reposted this here so that information about the DP832 is kept together.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2013, 02:02:11 pm »
I'm not at my bench right now, but out of curiosity, rbola, what does the datasheet say of the current accuracy at this range?

Offline rbola35618

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »
programablity   0.2% +10mA

readout 0.15% + 5mA

My readout is showing 45mA with not load when current limit is set below 10mA. Once I program it to 10ma or above, the readout goes back to 0 A

RV

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2013, 02:21:45 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about it; it obviosly is just an incorrect reading on the display. If you're concearned, try measuring the current (with a multimeter) through a 1k resistor @ 1V and see that you get 1mA. I highly doubt it will overshoot. You may also measure the short circuit current with your DMM to ensure it goes to 10mA max. and not 43mA.

I don't usually work with low voltages, but perhaps the uCurrent or similar set-up is needed for something like this? Is it only below 1V that this problem is seen?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:30:01 pm by olsenn »

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:38 pm »
programablity   0.2% +10mA

readout 0.15% + 5mA

My readout is showing 45mA with not load when current limit is set below 10mA. Once I program it to 10ma or above, the readout goes back to 0 A

RV

this is a good thing, there should be a software update now, easier than a jtag dump >:D

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #224 on: August 16, 2013, 07:22:54 am »
My readout is showing 45mA with not load when current limit is set below 10mA

Same here, under 10 mA it shows crap with or without load. Only the display is incorrect though, measured with a DMM it is within spec to what you program it to.

But what is this nonsense about "email us for firmware", why can't I just download it from their site (and the PSUs aren't even in the list of what firmware you are asking for)?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf