Author Topic: Hantek / Owon oscilloscopes  (Read 4451 times)

Offline Tech12Topic starter

Hantek / Owon oscilloscopes
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:56:55 pm »
Hi guys: Just joined, so hope this is in the right place. Been looking at getting a 100MHz digital scope & seen a lot of people selling both Hantek and Owon scopes, just after some advice on which is the better scope ? Or are they pretty much on a par ?.

Thanks in advance: Andy

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Hantek / Owon oscilloscopes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 06:02:52 pm »
Hi guys: Just joined, so hope this is in the right place. Been looking at getting a 100MHz digital scope & seen a lot of people selling both Hantek and Owon scopes, just after some advice on which is the better scope ? Or are they pretty much on a par ?.

Thanks in advance: Andy

The general synopsis here will no doubt be that if you're after a bench scope, seriously consider the Rigol DS1054Z, currently £250+VAT, and liberate it to 100MHz plus the other options.

I do have Hantek and Owon portable scopes, but they're not a patch on the Rigol.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 06:08:40 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

With all manufacturers there will be models in their ranges that are perfectly fine for their intended markets. However for the discerning user it's not about the brand, it's about specs.

Things like:
Max channel input voltage
Waveform update rate
Sampling rate
Memory depth
Screen size
Additional features: MSO, AWG, Decode, Ext Trigger
Multiple or single (shared) channel control

And so on.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 06:16:05 pm »
Neither.

Get a Rigol DS1054Z instead.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 06:27:13 pm »
Hi guys: Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I've just been looking at the Rigol DS1102e, which doesn't look too bad for the price. Also been looking at the Uni-t UTD1025c for field service work.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 06:43:13 pm »
Hi guys: Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I've just been looking at the Rigol DS1102e, which doesn't look too bad for the price. Also been looking at the Uni-t UTD1025c for field service work.
Second hand or new?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 06:49:53 pm »
I've just been looking at the Rigol DS1102e,

That model is outdated.

Get a DS1054Z then go to this page to change it to 100MHz: http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 06:56:28 pm »
Second hand or new?

Hi tautech: Both scopes will be new.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 06:58:44 pm »
I cannot recommend Owon. Their DS7102V had serious noise problem due to bad power supply design. The problem is well documented, but the Owon didn't consider that to be fixed under warranty leaving the oscilloscope badly crippled (read: unusable) when measuring small signal levels**. Otherwise the oscilloscope is good.

** Quote from their response: "Sorry, the problem not belong to our warranty, and we only can reduce noise now, but can not have not noise." If I had understood it correctly, they did fix the power supplies in later revisions reducing the noise considerably, but it was not considered something that is covered by the warranty for the earlier revisions although the warranty period was still valid.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:14:33 pm by Kalvin »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 07:23:47 pm »
Second hand or new?

Hi tautech: Both scopes will be new.
As you are intending to buy 2 new scopes, 1 HH and 1 bench unit of course you will have some budget constraints and no doubt trade offs will need to be made. Only you at this stage know the type of work you'll need to accomplish and to share this with us will help hopefully point you in the right direction.

I'll not push any brand/model down your throat, only attempt to enlighten you to the choices available.

Siglent of course offer products that will meet your needs and I link product chosen to make your $ go the furtherest:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/pdxx.aspx?id=94&T=2&tid=2
http://www.siglentamerica.com/pdxx.aspx?id=27&T=2&tid=1

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 07:27:40 pm »
Hi Kalvin: Thanks for that, I had heard about the original noise problems. I didn't realise though that they were refusing to address the problems with scopes that were under warranty.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 07:36:19 pm »
Hi Kalvin: Thanks for that, I had heard about the original noise problems. I didn't realise though that they were refusing to address the problems with scopes that were under warranty.

I was astonished as well. Anyway, the scope is good unless you need to measure low signal levels in range 100mV.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 07:36:32 pm »
Hi tautech: Appreciate the links to the Siglent scopes, I have to say the 100MHz handheld might be the way to go & use it for both bench and field work until I decide on a bench scope.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 07:40:02 pm »
Hi tautech: Appreciate the links to the Siglent scopes, I have to say the 100MHz handheld might be the way to go & use it for both bench and field work until I decide on a bench scope.
For local suppliers you can contact their Hamburg office:
http://www.siglenteu.com/lxwms.aspx?id=1110
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 07:52:55 pm »
As with all HH's the UI is much different to that in a bench model and not to mention the additional features incorporated in a bench DSO. You'll have to decide if a HH will suit your bench work and IMO you'd be better to go with a lower BW HH and put the $ saved into the bench DSO you really want after all on the bench is where you'll most likely want a capable DSO.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 07:53:10 pm »
Thanks again tautech, forgot to answer part of your earlier post: The short answer to what sort of work will i be using it for is really all sorts. I don't have a specific type of equipment I work on, so during a day I could be working on anything from Mrs Jones vacuum cleaner ( no scope ) to a conveyor pizza oven to garage equipment to an Industrial machine or maybe cb & vintage radio etc etc.

Andy

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 08:00:15 pm »
Brands aside, your local test equipment representation is important too, advice, support, warranty, software updates, all those things that make a good dealer. Let this be a factor in your choices too.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 10:33:20 pm »
Actually I just realised that one of the companies I deal with in the UK is a Siglent dealer , will have a chat with them tomorrow.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf