Author Topic: New LIDL multimeter on the way.  (Read 15106 times)

Offline FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
New LIDL multimeter on the way.
« on: June 13, 2020, 02:06:37 pm »
Just browsing the LIDL catalogue and the week after next they're bringing us a new multimeter (here in Spain at least). This time it's auto ranging. They're also bringing the other manual-ranging red one so we can choose which to get (I have the other one already and it's a decent little meter for the price).

A fully CAT rated meter for 13 Euros? Let's wait and see...

This is the biggest Image I could get from the web page. It's still not quite big enough to see the CAT rating clearly but it looks like CAT II 300V, maybe CAT III 300V.

Separate selector positions for Ohms, Continuity and Diode? Nice!

I wonder what the diode test voltage is.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:10:21 pm by Fungus »

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
Re: New LIDL multimeter on the way.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 02:15:08 pm »
This is the biggest Image I could get from the web page. It's still not quite big enough to see the CAT rating clearly but it looks like CAT II 300V, maybe CAT III 300V.

But you can read the model - Parkside PDM 300 C2 - several hits on Youtube to watch through if you wish.

And if you go to the Lidl website you can magnify the image to read the markings easily

https://www.lidl-sklep.pl/PARKSIDE-Cyfrowy-miernik-uniwersalny-PDM-300/p100285454

Cat III 300V is claimed.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 03:17:04 pm »
Just browsing the LIDL catalogue and the week after next they're bringing us a new multimeter (here in Spain at least). This time it's auto ranging. They're also bringing the other manual-ranging red one so we can choose which to get (I have the other one already and it's a decent little meter for the price).

A fully CAT rated meter for 13 Euros? Let's wait and see...

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Separate selector positions for Ohms, Continuity and Diode? Nice!

I wonder what the diode test voltage is.

It was established last time that it was fully cat rated at 300V and this one is Cat III @ 300V rated, which does separate it from most of its similar priced rivals which do also quote a Cat rating but not quote the certifying authority. The Lidl one does provide proof that the rating is a genuine one. Still a long way from my Brymen BM867 with a genuine Cat VI, 1000V rating.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 04:28:54 pm »
Still a long way from my Brymen BM867 with a genuine Cat VI, 1000V rating.

So is a Fluke 87V   :P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 04:30:24 pm »
And if you go to the Lidl website you can magnify the image to read the markings easily

https://www.lidl-sklep.pl/PARKSIDE-Cyfrowy-miernik-uniwersalny-PDM-300/p100285454

The Polish web site has a better image than the Spanish one...

Cat III 300V is claimed.

:-+

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 07:36:27 pm »
You are lucky:

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/Multimeter_PDM-300-C2_Analyse

They already wrote a tool to read out the serial data, so you can use it as a data logger. You can even switch off the battery saver for logging: press the red button and switch on. After four beeps the auto off annunciator is off. Using the serial port requires some hacking.
Spoiler: the analysis is in German, but Google translate should help.

More discussion:

https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/491973

I also bought it for my tool bag. Checking it against a Keithley 2000 showed it is good enough - better tha guaranteed.
And it is TÜV Rheinland safety certified - so no worries when measuring mains voltage.

Greetings, and happy hacking!

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, I wanted a rude username

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 07:48:40 pm »
More stuff: certifications:

https://www.certipedia.com/search/matching_product_certificates?utf8=%E2%9C%93&locale=en&q=EM3801

Certificate for compliance with the low voltage directive (CE)
EMC Certificate, GS Certificate (TÜV Rheinland Quality check)

Greetings,

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 09:37:57 pm »
I found this video:

It seems the diode test voltage is very low - it fails on a blue LED.  :(

Continuity isn't the fastest either.  :(  :(

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 09:39:52 pm by Fungus »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 09:47:25 pm »
Sorry, but we´re talking about a meter for 13€...Really ?!

"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 10:17:11 pm »
Yes. Lidl have all of their stuff independently certified by TUV (as do Aldi irrc).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 10:20:36 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 10:31:42 pm »

CAT rating? Definitely. These meters have traceable German Government certifications...see above.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:46:47 pm by Fungus »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 10:34:44 pm »
I have some doubts about it, better take the uni-t ut210e - It´s a clampmeter in general, but also a good multimeter.
(Kierkegaard)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 01:40:48 am »
I have some doubts about it, better take the uni-t ut210e - It´s a clampmeter in general, but also a good multimeter.

You have some doubts about a meter which is independently tested, so you suggest one which isn't, from a company with a long history of lying about safety specs?

The following users thanked this post: janoc, Fungus

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 04:19:08 am »
UNI-T is not good , but you allways get what you pay ... 13$ multimeter is a cheap crap for amateurs , like Aneng  ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 06:45:36 am »
13$ multimeter is a cheap crap for amateurs

At least LIDL don't lie about the CAT ratings, they even print the certification number on the package so you can go and verify it.

Seriously, it's only a 300V rating, why is that so difficult to believe?

UNI-T is not good , but you allways get what you pay ...

No you don't, eg, this one costs as much as a high-end Brymen:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 06:59:10 am by Fungus »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 10:15:35 am »

You have some doubts about a meter which is independently tested, so you suggest one which isn't, from a company with a long history of lying about safety specs?

You´re right, I´ve meant this only what accuracy at all concerns, the safety thing I didn´t got in mind.
(Kierkegaard)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2020, 10:45:58 am »
You´re right, I´ve meant this only what accuracy at all concerns, the safety thing I didn´t got in mind.

Experience has shown that "accuracy" isn't a problem, not even with DT830Bs.

If you step up to a $25 meter then you get this:

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2020, 11:00:02 am »
Even £3 panel meters from fleabay are wtf accurate these days:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2020, 11:18:07 am »
The only pain I can see is shared Volts and mA terminals, but it's very far from unique there!  I hate that, lay in a supply of 250mA fuses (or just pull the fuse and do without mA).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 12:06:01 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 11:48:09 am »
Let's be really honest here, the real problem with this meter is not that doesnt meet its claimed ratings, because it does and the certificate proves that fact beyond all doubt, now the real problem is that you cannot believe that a cheap cut-price store like Lidl is capable of having anything as good as this on its shelves at such a low price point. The price alone is putting some people off, for others it's the brand name of Lidl itself.

Why that is I have zero idea, any company that has grown to the size of Lidl cannot be that bad otherwise they would not have the positioning in the market. They operate over 10,000 outlets worldwide and if each outlet takes 50 meters then that means Lidl can command an excellent price with their purchasing power of over 500,000 units, possibly more than a lot of the other meter makes sell in a year or more of a particular meter.

I'd take a Lidl meter any day over a meter which cannot prove its claimed rating, and certainly the Lidl offering will also have proper HRC fuses and not glass fuses and it will have adequate protection to meet its approval rating, thats a given.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:50:19 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2020, 10:07:43 pm »
I doubt that a meter made very cheap with low quality materials that will worn really fast could be considered safe ... you can belive any certificates you want .
That Parkside brand is used by Lidl usually to sell cheap ( crappy ) tools .

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 11:50:01 pm »
I doubt that a meter made very cheap with low quality materials that will worn really fast could be considered safe ... you can belive any certificates you want .
That Parkside brand is used by Lidl usually to sell cheap ( crappy ) tools .
Hmm, well as they come with a 3-year warranty I really doubt that they as crappy as you seem to think they are, do Uni-T give you 3 years peace of mind?

Granted they are not professional grade tools, they never claimed to be, but they are perfectly good enough for the average hobbyist / homeowner working on low power circuits only, as per rating would suggest.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline ResistorRob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 04:57:52 am »

Same thing I thought initially. For starters I've never heard of Lidl, and it's ugly as sin. I'm not against cheap meters but this thing looks like trash. It's probably fine and just looks bad because the photo quality is awful. I already found the holy grail of cheap meters and I don't think I've seen anyone on this forum mention it which is actually pretty shocking.

I'm kind of a weirdo in the sense that I want my test equipment to look good over being safe. I've got zapped with voltages in the 100V-300V and didn't die and overwhelming am messing with voltages under 30 volts. Obviously accuracy, features, and durability are paramount, but CAT ratings don't set my loins on fire.
For my 10th Birthday I got a Fisher Price oscilloscope!

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2020, 07:16:12 am »
Reading TEA threads I can conclude that when a new DMM arrives there are always concerns no matter what. Just open the thread about fluke 87V vs brymen bm869s. It was exactly the same: fear, uncertainty and doubts :). Yet we know how general perception of brymen slowly changed over last 5+ years . Same with siglent, etc. It takes time to accept new brands.

Some people prefer proven tools and there is nothing wrong with that. Problem is, all arguments about reliably (like "it's made of cheap materials") are not arguments, it's just bias. Until one sends a unit to Joe for mechanical reliability testing all speculations are worthless. Still people do it. So, let me jump on this wagon too. I claim this DMM is superior to a fluke, prove wrong :).

Another thing is not all people need a super-reliable DMM. Like I don't, I spend most of my time in spice and cad. As long as the dmm can survive a few thousands switching cycles I'm fine.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2020, 07:20:11 am »
I already found the holy grail of cheap meters and I don't think I've seen anyone on this forum mention it which is actually pretty shocking.

Please say it isn't this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32880953626.html

Obviously accuracy, features, and durability are paramount, but CAT ratings don't set my loins on fire.

You just contradicted yourself. Electrical robustness is a big factor in accuracy and durability.

A meter may look tacticool on the outside but if the input circuitry is easy to damage by silly mistakes then it doesn't meet your criteria.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:47:51 am by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf