Author Topic: New LeCroy scope - WaveRunner 8000  (Read 33139 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: New LeCroy scope - WaveRunner 8000
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 06:33:06 am »
I get the impression the waveform update rates are not high on any Windows based oscilloscope so if you are into staring at a screen to find a glitch, a Windows based scope may not need to be the best buy. Fast sequential recording however (combined with deep memory) is a very usefull asset. You can set the trigger on an error/glitch condition and capture a whole bunch of them for analysis.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 07:52:56 am »
Its possible to have the best of both worlds, Tek include high waveform update rates on their Windows based scopes when in a special mode. Last time I looked into it the data is sent directly to a custom "videocard" from the acquisition system, and here is a look at the current 5000 series where its done in an FPGA:
http://debugmo.de/2013/03/whats-inside-tektronix-dpo5034/
It offers a very high realtime speed mode, or deep memory modes so the tradeoff is a choice for the user.

Offline WuerstchenhundTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:29 am »
I get the impression the waveform update rates are not high on any Windows based oscilloscope so if you are into staring at a screen to find a glitch, a Windows based scope may not need to be the best buy.

Probably. But then, even many standalone scopes have comparably low waveform rates, i.e. the R&S RTM (11k wfms/s). On the other side, better Windows scopes have real-time update rates in the 1000's or 10k's of waveforms/s. So we're not exactly talking about single digit figures here.

Fast sequential recording however (combined with deep memory) is a very usefull asset. You can set the trigger on an error/glitch condition and capture a whole bunch of them for analysis.

Exactly. Which is exactly why I think the DSOX6k is lacking. 1M or 500k aren't exactly deep memory, and even less so for a scope sampling at 10GSa/s or 20GSa/s.

The other point, one that is often ignored, is that due the high frequency and the resulting ultra-short presence a single or very rare glitch, even on a perfect scope with an indefinitely fast sample rate and a perfect real-time display, is still unlikely to be visible long enough to be perceivable by the human eye or to show up bright enough on a persistence display. Staring at waveforms and looking out for glitches and runts may work at frequencies in the kHz or lower MHz range, but at frequencies in the GHz range it's a different story.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 10:08:45 am »
Fast sequential recording however (combined with deep memory) is a very usefull asset. You can set the trigger on an error/glitch condition and capture a whole bunch of them for analysis.

Exactly. Which is exactly why I think the DSOX6k is lacking. 1M or 500k aren't exactly deep memory, and even less so for a scope sampling at 10GSa/s or 20GSa/s.

The other point, one that is often ignored, is that due the high frequency and the resulting ultra-short presence a single or very rare glitch, even on a perfect scope with an indefinitely fast sample rate and a perfect real-time display, is still unlikely to be visible long enough to be perceivable by the human eye or to show up bright enough on a persistence display. Staring at waveforms and looking out for glitches and runts may work at frequencies in the kHz or lower MHz range, but at frequencies in the GHz range it's a different story.
Have you tried using persistence? It doesn't impact the waveform rate of the Keysight X series scopes and makes it possible to see those singleton events without even turning up the intensity, or use color grading to add more contrast.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 10:21:41 am »

Have you tried using persistence?

See above (relevant part now highlighted for emphasis).

It doesn't impact the waveform rate of the Keysight X series scopes and makes it possible to see those singleton events without even turning up the intensity, or use color grading to add more contrast.

Again, see above. What you say is all fine for lower frequencies but I'd get old and grey (OK, older and greyer) if I tried to capture some of the irregularities I know are in the signals I work with with persistence display (and I'd probably just miss them if I didn't know they are there).

There's a point where you have to stop treating a DSO like an analog scope from the old days because such methodology isn't good enough. All these analysis tools on an advanced scope aren't there just for checking boxes on a marketing sheet.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:26:05 am by Wuerstchenhund »

The following users thanked this post: digsys

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 10:38:59 am »
At full intensity all the traces are displayed at maximum brightness, so you can see them all no matter how fast or infrequent the signals. Even at a normal intensity of 30-40% the single event brightness is clearly discernible from the background/graticule and the brochures from Keysight are full of this material:
http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5991-4436EN.pdf

Offline LPaul

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 10:51:57 am »
At full intensity all the traces are displayed at maximum brightness, so you can see them all no matter how fast or infrequent the signals. Even at a normal intensity of 30-40% the single event brightness is clearly discernible from the background/graticule and the brochures from Keysight are full of this material:

Didn't Wuerstchenhund answered this specific point 3 times already?

Looking at this scope and the latest R&S, at what point do you justify this class of scopes? Is it only for high speed buses development (usb, pcie, etc.) or are they also used as everyday scopes?
Especially compared with the much cheaper 500MHz-1GHz scopes.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 11:08:22 am »

Yes, I know it sounds great in the brochure, and understandably so as waveform rate is pretty much the only thing the DSOX Series excels (at least the smaller models as the DSOX6k only achieves 45% of the update rate of the smaller models).

But unfortunately reality is a bit different than the demo situation (clean, nice, repetitive signal with frequent and very obvious glitch), and in reality a single glitch might well be unnoticeable on the persistence display (i.e. too rare, or just to unpronounced to stand out). And even if it is visible, sometimes a glitch may appear only very rarely, i.e. we had some glitches that didn't show up for hours. You really want to spend your day watching on a persistence screen and wait for glitch to appear on screen? With a better scope (i.e. the newer Infiniiums or , back to the actual topic, scopes like this new WR8K) I just setup the scope, go away and do something else, and then come back later and the scope will present me with every instance the glitch occurred, i.e. the exact time stamp, plus gives me all the parameters of each occurrence, plus a screenshot of each if I want. I could even tell the scope to let me know when a glitch appeared.

And all that works with repetitive and non-repetitive signals alike.

Good luck doing that with your persistence display.  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:10:56 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 11:12:05 am »

Looking at this scope and the latest R&S, at what point do you justify this class of scopes? Is it only for high speed buses development (usb, pcie, etc.) or are they also used as everyday scopes?
Wuerstchenhund says he can't see the signal, and that the realtime display won't work with high frequency signals, despite multiple different ways to make the signal clearly visible and it being the advertised feature of these products. The extremely high realtime capture rates are nice for rapidly assessing signal integrity, especially when you're doing something interactive like adjusting equalisation or power supply voltages.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 11:24:03 am »
But unfortunately reality is a bit different than the demo situation (clean, nice, repetitive signal with frequent and very obvious glitch), and in reality a single glitch might well be unnoticeable on the persistence display (i.e. too rare, or just to unpronounced to stand out). And even if it is visible, sometimes a glitch may appear only very rarely, i.e. we had some glitches that didn't show up for hours. You really want to spend your day watching on a persistence screen and wait for glitch to appear on screen? With a better scope (i.e. the newer Infiniiums or , back to the actual topic, scopes like this new WR8K) I just setup the scope, go away and do something else, and then come back later and the scope will present me with every instance the glitch occurred, i.e. the exact time stamp, plus gives me all the parameters of each occurrence, plus a screenshot of each if I want. I could even tell the scope to let me know when a glitch appeared.
If you've adjusted the display persistence or intensity wrong thats not a problem with the scope, its not only possible to see every capture but its easy with different ways to achieve the same result. At a normal setup its possible to see the single event graduation, or you can exaggerate it if you want. In everyday use with the intensity set for 30% (as I typically leave it at) the intensity of the single events are clearly visible, I have to put in really odd settings to make it harder to see.

And you'd prefer to use segmented capture to see these infrequent events? Well these scopes all have segmented modes to do that too!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 12:36:01 pm »
If you've adjusted the display persistence or intensity wrong thats not a problem with the scope, its not only possible to see every capture but its easy with different ways to achieve the same result.

That has nothing to do with a wrong setup, even at a low saturation level very rare glitches can easily get missed. Even more so if the deviation is minor.

At a normal setup its possible to see the single event graduation, or you can exaggerate it if you want. In everyday use with the intensity set for 30% (as I typically leave it at) the intensity of the single events are clearly visible, I have to put in really odd settings to make it harder to see.

Again you miss the point :palm: It.s not much of a problem for lower frequencies, but we're not talking about what you do but frequencies in excess of 1GHz.

Also, how do you intend to find glitches in non-repetitive signals with persistence mode?

And you'd prefer to use segmented capture to see these infrequent events? Well these scopes all have segmented modes to do that too!

Yeah, at a much lower waveform rate (as you say the DSOX6k's max wfm rate is in real-time mode, it's much slower in segmented mode), and with a miniscule 1MB or 500k of memory (which means sample rate and useable bandwidth drop very quickly at time bases larger than 2ns, and it's memory starved when in segmented mode). Plus the DSOX6k still lacks many of the tools (i.e. WaveScan) found in better scopes that make finding glitches easy.

In addition, even in real-time mode it's waveform rate that is still only 45% of the rate the scope this topic is about achieves in the mode that is most relevant for high bandwidth scopes That this scope also offers not just a lot more sample memory but also a wider range of options and still costs less is just a bonus.

To say it in your words, you really have to be a Keysight fanboi to spin this into some advantage for the DSOX6k  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:38:21 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 12:53:59 pm »

Welcome to my world!  |O

Well, I guess the first question is if you have use/need for its capabilities, if not then it's a waste of money as a cheaper scope will do. I use them because I work in projects that require the examination of high frequency signals, and because the cost of the scope is small change compared to the moneys involved.

But in general, yes, you can use them as everyday scopes. That's pretty much what I do as I'm almost exclusively working with high-end scopes. At work my scope is a 13Ghz Keysight DSO90kA (with some luck soon to be replaced by a new Infiniium V ;D ), and I do also use it for simpler stuff with basic passive probes plus probe adapter. It's easier than to walk around the lab and look for a smaller scope just to do some measurements.

At home, my main scope is a LeCroy WavePro 7300A 3Ghz scope (although I also have a WaveRunner 64Xi and a HP 54645D), and I also use it for pretty much everything (the WRXi is just sitting on the shelf awaiting reassembly, and the HP is just for cross-checks and nostalgic reasons). Aside from price the only downside really is the noise these scopes make, but there are usually ways to reduce that via newer/better fans which provide similar airflow at lower noise figures (and newer scopes are often much more silent than their predecessors anyways). On the upside, there's very little you can't do, and many of the advanced tools are often very useful for simpler tasks, too. Plus I can write my own signal processing applications (the WavePro gives me access to the raw sample data stream) which is great for a few experiments I'm working on.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:05:20 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 01:06:05 pm »
If you've adjusted the display persistence or intensity wrong thats not a problem with the scope, its not only possible to see every capture but its easy with different ways to achieve the same result.
That has nothing to do with a wrong setup, even at a low saturation level very rare glitches can easily get missed. Even more so if the deviation is minor.

At a normal setup its possible to see the single event graduation, or you can exaggerate it if you want. In everyday use with the intensity set for 30% (as I typically leave it at) the intensity of the single events are clearly visible, I have to put in really odd settings to make it harder to see.

Again you miss the point :palm: It.s not much of a problem for lower frequencies, but we're not talking about what you do but frequencies in excess of 1GHz.

Also, how do you intend to find glitches in non-repetitive signals with persistence mode?
If you can capture the glitch in realtime mode then you will see it on the screen, just for you I tired turning the intensity control to 0% and the traces all became a similar beige but still clearly definable against the background and graticule, and single events were not any harder to see than the rest of the overlapping traces. How are the frequencies of the features important to what is seen? Capturing it is the blind time/dead time/test time maths thats been discussed at length, unless you can trigger on the particular fault or feature you are trying to see but knowing what to trigger for is one of the advertised features of the high realtime update rates.

Yeah, at a much lower waveform rate (as you say the DSOX6k's max wfm rate is in real-time mode, it's much slower in segmented mode), and with a miniscule 1MB or 500k of memory (which means sample rate and useable bandwidth drop very quickly at time bases larger than 2ns, and it's memory starved when in segmented mode). Plus the DSOX6k still lacks many of the tools (i.e. WaveScan) found in better scopes that make finding glitches easy.

In addition, even in real-time mode it's waveform rate that is still only 45% of the rate the scope this topic is about achieves in the mode that is most relevant for high bandwidth scopes That this scope also offers not just a lot more sample memory but also a wider range of options and still costs less is just a bonus.

To say it in your words, you really have to be a Keysight fanboi to spin this into some advantage for the DSOX6k  :-DD
I'm not spinning this as an advantage for any specific scope, R&S and Tek also have these characteristics. You're trying to argue this both ways that segmented mode with deep memory is great because you can capture all the frequent glitches, but realtime mode is bad because the glitches are infrequent. Realtime mode is suited to looking for unknown transient characteristics and unusual events in high speed signals, while segmented mode is suited to known events you can define a trigger for.

Since you have this fixation on the Keysight 6000 series perhaps you'd like to refer back to the chart with accurate numbers I posted:
ParameterKeysight DSOX6004 1GHzLeCroy WaveRunner 8104Keysight DSOS104AKeysight DSO9104A
Segmented Trigger Rearm1us1us4.5us4us
Where you can see all those scopes have similarly fast segmented capture rates, and the Keysight 6000 offers faster triggering in segmented mode than in realtime so you're simply wrong again on that too.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:10:50 pm by Someone »

The following users thanked this post: Wuerstchenhund

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 02:22:19 pm »
How are the frequencies of the features important to what is seen? Capturing it is the blind time/dead time/test time maths thats been discussed at length, unless you can trigger on the particular fault or feature you are trying to see but knowing what to trigger for is one of the advertised features of the high realtime update rates.

Is it possible that you and  Wuerstchenhund do not at all talk about same persistence.

With this particular thing I can not understand at all what mr W is talking and how frequency is affecting if use persistence.

@ Wuerstchenhund
I have many times turned scope for infinite persistence and after lounge come back and look if there exist some anomaly - glitch or what ever.  What kind of "blind point" you have here now.
It works with 20GSa/s scope and it works with lower end 2GSa/s Siglent or what ever. And what is difficulty to see these, they are there as long until you reset. Or is it just too simple way?
After this unknown anomaly is visible on the display it is more easy to think how to continue analyzing.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:30:36 pm by rf-loop »
EV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 10:54:57 pm »
How are the frequencies of the features important to what is seen? Capturing it is the blind time/dead time/test time maths thats been discussed at length, unless you can trigger on the particular fault or feature you are trying to see but knowing what to trigger for is one of the advertised features of the high realtime update rates.

Is it possible that you and  Wuerstchenhund do not at all talk about same persistence.

With this particular thing I can not understand at all what mr W is talking and how frequency is affecting if use persistence.
Persistence is a well defined thing, perhaps Mr W is confused from how Lecroy have implemented realtime on some of their modern scopes:
ru.tek.com/dl/48W-26394-0_0.pdf
Quote from: Tektronix
LeCroy WaveRunner Xi-A Series [negative features include] Persistence not available in WaveStreamTM Fast Viewing mode.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2016, 04:14:47 pm »
Let's try to bring this to an end because it's going round in circles.

That might be true for the type of signals you work with, but some of the signal I deal with suffer from very narrow runts, so small that it's unlikely you'll see them with your eye even on a persistence display because they don't stand out enough. And that is if you even know they are there. If not then you'd probably never find out if all you do is look at persistence mode.

It should be obvious that having to rely on the human eye to recognize deviations is a flawed idea. Not saying it never works, and if you see a glitch it's really there, but if you see nothing it doesn't mean there isn't anything.

If you can capture the glitch in realtime mode then you will see it on the screen, just for you I tired turning the intensity control to 0% and the traces all became a similar beige but still clearly definable against the background and graticule

I said non-repetitive. Especially mult-state signals, if you put them on persistence mode then all you'll get is a wall of traces. It's worthless. for that.

and single events were not any harder to see than the rest of the overlapping traces.

Where? What setup? What events? My glasball is in repair so it would be helpful if you'd provide a bit more details what you're actually doing if you try to refer to it. Attaching screenshots are allowed, too  ;)

How are the frequencies of the features important to what is seen?

Simply because, like all signal forms, even a glitch is just a combination of sine waves at certain frequencies, and very small glitches usually consist of very high frequencies. Even if the scope has sufficient bandwidth and sample rate, if your wanted signal is a lot lower then looking at the edges at persistence mode might not be visible enough for the human eye, even if the glitch appears very often.

That may not be understandable to you but I've seen quite a few engineers get caught out by this on multiple occasions during my career.

You're trying to argue this both ways that segmented mode with deep memory is great because you can capture all the frequent glitches, but realtime mode is bad because the glitches are infrequent.

No. My argument is that high real-time update rates are great as long as it doesn't come at the cost of memory and other capabilities. My argument is that the WR8K offers a better price/performance than Keysight's current competitor which is the DSOX6kA.

Realtime mode is suited to looking for unknown transient characteristics and unusual events in high speed signals, while segmented mode is suited to known events you can define a trigger for.

Yes, on the DSOX6k. On a somewhat modern LeCroy (as well as on a modern Keysight Infiniium), you can find known and unknown events without the need for persistence display. It doesn't mean you can't use it, you can if you want to spend time starring at a screen.

On the DSOX6k you pretty much have to.

Since you have this fixation on the Keysight 6000 series

I compare against the DSOX6k because itit's in the same price and market segment as the scope on topic. Actually, price-wise I could as well add the DSOX4k to the list, but that compares even worse than the DSOX6k.

I know that you already suggested I should compare against a much more expensive Keysight scope as this will be better  :palm:

perhaps you'd like to refer back to the chart with accurate numbers I posted:
ParameterKeysight DSOX6004 1GHzLeCroy WaveRunner 8104Keysight DSOS104AKeysight DSO9104A
Segmented Trigger Rearm1us1us4.5us4us
Where you can see all those scopes have similarly fast segmented capture rates, and the Keysight 6000 offers faster triggering in segmented mode than in realtime so you're simply wrong again on that too.

That's the re-arm time, which is not the only factor determining the update rate. I'm pretty sure the InfiniiVision scopes don't reach higher waveform rates in segmented mode than in real-time mode due to their architecture, which for the DSOX6k would be ~450k wfms/s.

What I'll do is if I have some time next week or so then I can search around the labs if I can get my hold on a DSOX6004 (I think I've seen one or two in one of the racks) and do some quick waveform update rate testing. Provided we still have them, as they weren't exatcly the most favored scopes (and I do know that they don't sell particularly well).

However, as you might recall, the waveform update rate was just one thing I mentioned (but for some reason that's the only issue you're fixated on), and frankly the waveform update rate is probably the least relevant of all of them.

What weights a lot more is the fact that the sample memory on the DSOX6k is tiny. 4MB max, turning into 2MB per channel in four channel mode. If that wasn't bad enough, this is only true as long as the sample rate is below 2GSa/s (for a 1GHz to 6GHz scope!). If you dare to use a sample rate of 2GSa/s or more then the available memory drops to 1MB in half-channel and 500k in full channel mode. Just to remember, that is a scope sold in 2016 that starts at $18k! It's a bit like Tek's TDS694C (10Gsa/s and 120k max memory) but that was back in 2000. I'd have thought we left the era of low memory scopes long behind, but apparently not.

Aside from a wide range of limitations that comes with it, the tiny memory also means that the 6Ghz DSOX6k (which can properly resolve a 6GHz signal in 2ch mode only anyways as in four channel mode the max sample rate is 10Gsa/s so well below Nyquist-Shannon) quickly runs out of sample memory and has to drop the sample rate, which reduces the usable real-time bandwidth further.

I'd really like to see how you spin this into an advantage.  :popcorn:

The other thing is that the DSOX6k, like all InfiniiVision scopes, are built on a simple Windows CE platform. That means limited processing, limited memory (RAM), which in turn means a lot simpler and more basic tool sets. It also means no access to the OS and the ability to install user software. Although I'm sure it means nothing to you, in this class of scopes being able to run MathLab or other software is actually a thing.

With the DSOX6k, Keysight pretty much tries to compete with an entry-level platform (InfiniiVision) in the high-end market, which is a bit daft, really, even more so when that's their only option in this segment.

I have many times turned scope for infinite persistence and after lounge come back and look if there exist some anomaly - glitch or what ever.  What kind of "blind point" you have here now.
It works with 20GSa/s scope and it works with lower end 2GSa/s Siglent or what ever. And what is difficulty to see these, they are there as long until you reset. Or is it just too simple way?
After this unknown anomaly is visible on the display it is more easy to think how to continue analyzing.

That is fine (and let's assume for a moment you can actually see the glitch), the difference is:

- you come back after lunch, look at your scope, see some glitches on the persistence screen and then only start thinking how to continue analyzing,

- I come back from lunch, look at my scope, I get a list with time stamps of every occurrence and the parameter of every glitch that was captured, plus a screenshot for each occurrence. Which means while you think how to analyze further I'm already on my way solving the problem 

Not that I'm expecting a 2GSa/s Siglent scope (or any entry-level scope) to be capable to do this. But not having to rely on the human eye to identify a glitch is one of the advantages high end scopes have enjoyed for a very long time.

Persistence is a well defined thing, perhaps Mr W is confused from how Lecroy have implemented realtime on some of their modern scopes:
ru.tek.com/dl/48W-26394-0_0.pdf
Quote from: Tektronix
LeCroy WaveRunner Xi-A Series [negative features include] Persistence not available in WaveStreamTM Fast Viewing mode.

As someone who actually knows these scopes and doesn't have to resort to Tek marketing material for information about LeCroy scopes I'm certainly not confused about LeCroy's implementation, thanks.

Regarding WaveStream, this is a specific mode in some LeCroy scopes that emulates the behavior of an analog scope, i.e. including phosphor persistence. For example, on the old WaveRunner Xi-A Tek mentions the non-existing persistence is controlled through the intensity control knob in the top right corner (pressing it enables and disables WaveStream):

So yes, looks like Tek got it wrong (I guess they got confused because you can't select normal persistence mode in WaveStream which already is a persistence mode  :palm:), and maybe if they spent less time talking about the competition and invest more time building scopes that aren't old shit then maybe their market share wouldn't be in a constant decline and they wouldn't need to embarrass themselves by having to compare their scope with an older scope of a competitor  :--

WaveStream is an additional mode, it doesn't replace the normal real-time and persistence modes that also exist in these scopes. And even in persistence mode you get more tools at hand than with the Keysight DSOX6k:

That's a simple square wave with excessive jitter on the trailing edge, as easily recognizeable on what is a standard persistence display found in any modern scope.

There's also color grading (that's also in the DSOX6k) but that doesn't give much more information in this case.

But there's also 3D persistence in the LeCroy:

The 3D image clearly shows that the jitter is linear and squarish in nature, which helps identifying the cause.

And you couldn't do that with the DSOX6k.

3D persistence is quite a nice tool if you want to examine a signal visually, as often you can immediately identify certain unwanted components, and can give a better view of the behavior of the UUT.

BTW, these screenshots are from a 10yr old WRXi I quickly put together for testing. Newer LeCroy scopes like the one on topic have a much wider array of tools available.

And you still think the DSOX6k is better value/money than the WR8k?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:28:11 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2016, 04:45:06 pm »

That might be true for the type of signals you work with, but some of the signal I deal with suffer from very narrow runts, so small that it's unlikely you'll see them with your eye even on a persistence display because they don't stand out enough. And that is if you even know they are there. If not then you'd probably never find out if all you do is look at persistence mode.

Bullshit.

In persistence mode no need even watch display. Just go to lounge or sleeeping and if scope have sampled it and it is in displayed area it stay there as long as you want. It is enough if it occurs once and how short it ever is if scope can capture it. Some times it feel like you are talking about analog scope.
With infinite persistence it stay on the screen as long as you reset persistence. If scope can catch it it stay on the screen.
So simple.  Exept if your scope do not have this kind of persistence mode. Sad if do not have this simply tool.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 04:49:11 pm by rf-loop »
EV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2016, 04:49:58 pm »

Bullshit.

In persistence mode no need even watch display. Just go to lounge and if scope have sampled it and it is in displayed area it stay there as long as you want. It is enough if it occcurs once and how short it ever is if scope can capture it. Some times it feel like you are talking about analog scope.
With infinite persistence it stay on the screen as long as you reset persistence. If scope can catch it it stay on the screen.
So simple.  Exept if your scope do not have this kind of persistence mode. Sad if do not have this simply tool.
IMHO you missed the part with the explaination about persistence mode not being useful in all cases. For example imagine a glitch which gets burried in the result of an infinite persistence waveform. After all persistance just puts a lot of acquisitions on top of eachother.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2016, 05:14:30 pm »

Bullshit.

In persistence mode no need even watch display. Just go to lounge or sleeeping and if scope have sampled it and it is in displayed area it stay there as long as you want. It is enough if it occurs once and how short it ever is if scope can capture it. Some times it feel like you are talking about analog scope.
So simple. 

Maybe you should have read what I wrote more thoroughly because you missed the point completely.

I certainly didn't say that you have to stand there staring at the screen (although I've seen people doing that), I said that in persistence mode not all glitches might be pronounced enough to be actually "seen" and recognized by the operator.

What this discussion clearly shows is how stuck some people are into techniques back from the analog days. I'd certainly use persistence mode if that's all what's available, but not when better tools exist. Maybe it should be remembered what class of scopes we're talking about here.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2016, 05:51:36 pm »

Bullshit.

So simple. 

Maybe you should have read what I wrote more thoroughly because you missed the point completely.

I certainly didn't say that you have to stand there staring at the screen (although I've seen people doing that), I said that in persistence mode not all glitches might be pronounced enough to be actually "seen" and recognized by the operator.

What this discussion clearly shows is how stuck some people are into techniques back from the analog days. I'd certainly use persistence mode if that's all what's available, but not when better tools exist. Maybe it should be remembered what class of scopes we're talking about here.

Class of scopes and then you explain:  "....unlikely you'll see them with your eye even on a persistence display because they don't stand out enough.

Please tell me how it disappear from display if you have infinite persistence on. Perhaps some bug in FW?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2016, 06:24:58 pm »
Class of scopes and then you explain:  "....unlikely you'll see them with your eye even on a persistence display because they don't stand out enough.

Please tell me how it disappear from display if you have infinite persistence on. Perhaps some bug in FW?

FW bug? Disappears from display? :wtf:

I'm sorry but if you can't even crasp the simple fact that on a persistence display a glitch might well be to small to recognize with the human eye or covered up by subsequent traces, or that having to rely on human vision to identify glitches is a pretty error-prone thing in general, then I can't help you.

It's a bit disappointing, really, as I'd expect every decent EE to know the limitations of persistence mode, not just its advantages. I shouldn't really have to explain that.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2016, 07:35:16 pm »

The other point, one that is often ignored, is that due the high frequency and the resulting ultra-short presence a single or very rare glitch, even on a perfect scope with an indefinitely fast sample rate and a perfect real-time display, is still unlikely to be visible long enough to be perceivable by the human eye or to show up bright enough on a persistence display.

Staring at waveforms and looking out for glitches and runts may work at frequencies in the kHz or lower MHz range, but at frequencies in the GHz range it's a different story.

|O

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2016, 12:43:58 am »

Bullshit.

In persistence mode no need even watch display. Just go to lounge and if scope have sampled it and it is in displayed area it stay there as long as you want. It is enough if it occcurs once and how short it ever is if scope can capture it. Some times it feel like you are talking about analog scope.
IMHO you missed the part with the explaination about persistence mode not being useful in all cases. For example imagine a glitch which gets burried in the result of an infinite persistence waveform. After all persistance just puts a lot of acquisitions on top of eachother.
There is no debate that high speed realtime captures have different practical applications to triggered captures (with segmented for instance).

The other point, one that is often ignored, is that due the high frequency and the resulting ultra-short presence a single or very rare glitch, even on a perfect scope with an indefinitely fast sample rate and a perfect real-time display, is still unlikely to be visible long enough to be perceivable by the human eye or to show up bright enough on a persistence display.

Staring at waveforms and looking out for glitches and runts may work at frequencies in the kHz or lower MHz range, but at frequencies in the GHz range it's a different story.

|O
And we get this:
Let's try to bring this to an end because it's going round in circles.

Narrow runts are what you find so hard to find? Here is an Agilent 3024A picking up a <500ps runt that occurs 1 in every 10,000,000 transitions, thats the screen capture result from seeing 1 runt added to the persistence. It stands out as we say in Australia "like dogs balls".

Or we could use triggers to find that sort of thing. Realtime is another option that is possible to use and your claims about it is abilities so far have been ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:45:55 am by Someone »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2016, 12:56:49 am »
It stands out as we say in Australia "like dogs balls".
:-DD
We in NZ use that term too.  :)

Dogs balls ^^^^^^
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2016, 01:16:20 am »
Realtime mode is suited to looking for unknown transient characteristics and unusual events in high speed signals, while segmented mode is suited to known events you can define a trigger for.

Yes, on the DSOX6k. On a somewhat modern LeCroy (as well as on a modern Keysight Infiniium), you can find known and unknown events without the need for persistence display. It doesn't mean you can't use it, you can if you want to spend time starring at a screen.
You've never explained how you look for an unknown signal characteristic with triggers, please do provide some examples, we'd be interested to have some other ways of doing it for those scopes that don't have the fast realtime update rates.

I'm not tying this to any specific scope as you are, on a scope with fast realtime updates it is quick to find the unknown characteristics worthy of more investigation. You keep bringing up the 6000X.

Since you have this fixation on the Keysight 6000 series

I compare against the DSOX6k because itit's in the same price and market segment as the scope on topic. Actually, price-wise I could as well add the DSOX4k to the list, but that compares even worse than the DSOX6k.

I know that you already suggested I should compare against a much more expensive Keysight scope as this will be better
You stick to it because it allows you to make these deliberately misleading comparisons, Keysight offer scopes with broadly comparable specifications to this Lecroy model, they are more expensive (20-30%) but share many characteristics. The Keysight X series are radically different and dont share the same characteristics, they arent a good comparison. As noted by an intelligent poster:

I would be disappointed if a new product wasn't better than existing product in a similar price category, that's a natural technology progression, granted test equipment seems to have very long update/refresh cycles...compared to phones
New product to market achieves similar capabilities at lower cost than existing products, its nothing amazing or exciting.

That's the re-arm time, which is not the only factor determining the update rate. I'm pretty sure the InfiniiVision scopes don't reach higher waveform rates in segmented mode than in real-time mode due to their architecture, which for the DSOX6k would be ~450k wfms/s.
looks like Tek got it wrong (I guess they got confused because you can't select normal persistence mode in WaveStream which already is a persistence mode  :palm:), and maybe if they spent less time talking about the competition and invest more time building scopes that aren't old shit then maybe their market share wouldn't be in a constant decline and they wouldn't need to embarrass themselves by having to compare their scope with an older scope of a competitor
So Tek and Keysight are telling us lies, and we should believe your made up numbers that come with no backup. Tek are highlighting how the Leycroy offerings do not compete some Tektronix products due to with their slow realtime update rates. But you continue to claim how amazingly fast the realtime speed of Lecroy scopes are despite everything saying they arent.

Persistence mode is very useful in realtime capture, and Tektronix say they found it lacking on that Lecroy model. You've said how its an essential feature needed to make realtime capture useful:
And now I've shown you a screen capture of how clear infinite persistence is at showing infrequent glitches. With persistence turned off if you blink you'll miss the glitch, but any setting from the minimum of 100ms upwards to infinite holds the glitch on the screen long enough to see it (overlaid behind the realtime intensity graded display).

And you still think the DSOX6k is better value/money than the WR8k?
I have never said that, I will say that it has a much higher realtime capture rate which is applicable to certain circumstances which the other scopes here cannot compare to. They are not comparable for many applications. The value is for the customer to determine against their applications/use.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf