Author Topic: New LeCroy scope - WaveRunner 8000  (Read 33131 times)

Offline WuerstchenhundTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
New LeCroy scope - WaveRunner 8000
« on: April 12, 2016, 08:39:25 am »
It seems a few days ago LeCroy came out with a new scope, this time a new WaveRunner model:

WaveRunner 8000

http://teledynelecroy.com/oscilloscope/oscilloscopeseries.aspx?mseries=511

Datasheet:
http://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/pdf/waverunner8000-datasheet.pdf

The Press Release can be found here:
http://teledynelecroy.com/pressreleases/document.aspx?news_id=1954&capid=107&mid=554

The WR8k apparently uses the same chassis as the HDO Series, which actually is a step back from the predecessor WR6zi with its pivot-able swivelling display:

The WR8k offers bandwidths from 500MHz to 4GHz (all 4ch models) at 20GSa/s and with 32Mpts/Ch. The 'M' option doubles the sample rate and increases memory to 128M/Ch.

The predecessor WR6Zi offered similar bandwidths, sample rates and up to 256M/Ch, so in terms of basic specs the new scope is not just not an upgrade, it's actually a step backwards.

The MSO part is finally fully integrated in the scope (the previous models used an external box connected via L-Bus).

The WR8k also comes with an updated MAUI user interface that now supports gestures. I can't say I really missed gestures but I'll certainly give it a try when I get a chance.

RRP starts at $14k for the 500MHz variant and go to $29k for the 4GHz variant, all for the base models. There is an 16ch 1.25GSa/s MSO option ($3k RRP), plus a wide range of software options available. This puts the high-end WR8000 in the same price range as Keysight's DSOX4kA (upper-midrange, 5GSa/s, 4M memory) and DSOX6000A (lower high end, 20GSa/s and again 4M). The WR8k is probably the reason why Keysight currently offers the MSO option for free for the DSOX4kA.

Looks like a very nice scope, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that they have given up some of the neat things of the predecessor WR6Zi. Still, the WR8k shows how poor value for money the Keysight DSOX Series really is these days. You're pretty much paying for the name.

Let's hope we'll see a thorough review of the WR8k soon (Shariar?).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:37:30 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: New LeCroy scope - WaveRunner 8000
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 01:58:15 pm »
It seems Lecroy currently has a special sale for many of their oscilloscopes!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 07:07:45 pm »
I see the WR8k as more in the class of our Infiniium scopes or the 6000 X-Series.  The 4000 X-series to me is more of an upgrade for people who want the bigger screen, not as much for the advanced functionality.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:31:50 pm »
Nice looking DSO, but the shared input controls......  :rant:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:46:44 pm »
Shared input controls are actually more consistent than having controls for each channel. On scopes with controls for each channel the way math, decoding, bus, etc traces are handled are usually slightly akward because there isn't a dedicated control knob for it.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:01:15 pm »
I see the WR8k as more in the class of our Infiniium scopes or the 6000 X-Series.  The 4000 X-series to me is more of an upgrade for people who want the bigger screen, not as much for the advanced functionality.

I fully agree, the DSOX4k is much closer to the DSOX3k(T), at least spec- and performance-wise.

As to the spot the WaveRunner Series sits in, this would be as you said the DSOX6k and the DSO9k. However, even the DSOX6k is already noticably more expensive, by vastly inferior specs.

I really wish Keysight would come up with a replacement for the DSOX Series, at least the DSOX3k and up (the DSOX2k is probably fine where it sits, although it should get more sample memory).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 09:03:28 pm »

Thank god.  :-+  One of the things I really dislike with my WavePro 7300A are the separate vertical controls. It's much more convenient with a single control as I don't have to move my hand just to change another channel.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:07:22 pm »

Thank god.  :-+  One of the things I really dislike with my WavePro 7300A are the separate vertical controls. It's much more convenient with a single control as I don't have to move my hand just to change another channel.
Yeah but you do to toggle to the channel of interest, what's the difference?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 09:45:24 pm »
NOTE: This message has been deleted by the forum moderator Simon for being against the forum rules and/or at the discretion of the moderator as being in the best interests of the forum community and the nature of the thread.
If you believe this to be in error, please contact the moderator involved.
An optional additional explanation is:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:43:47 am by Simon »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 05:08:08 am »

Yeah but you do to toggle to the channel of interest, what's the difference?  :-//

The difference is that I don't have to move my hand to change channel, because the channel selectors are located closely to the single vertical control.

Of course that's just me, and YMMV of course. But my personal all-time favorite of front panel layout is still the 'single knob' layout of the early models of the old HP 54500 Series (i.e. 54510A/B):

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 05:51:10 am »
As to the spot the WaveRunner Series sits in, this would be as you said the DSOX6k and the DSO9k. However, even the DSOX6k is already noticably more expensive, by vastly inferior specs.
More expensive and vastly inferior specifications? Would you care to elaborate? It would appear the pricing on the entry level 500MHz lecroy example is $14,000 but a 4 channel Keysight 6000-X starts at 1GHz for $18,536 (one of them makes it easy to get a list price), or you could compare a Keysight DSOS054A 4 channel 500MHz scope with its list price of $17,534. 30% Higher list price, similar specifications (some better some worse suited to particular customers).

Well, at least you got the pricing right  :-+ BTW, the 1GHz WR8104 starts at below $16k btw.

Now let's look at the specs:

ParameterKeysight DSOX6004 1GHzLeCroy WaveRunner 8104
Price$18k$16k
Sample Rate20GSa/s (half ch), 10GSa/s (4ch)20GSa/s (half ch), 10GSa/s (4ch) (optional: 40GSa/s half-ch, 20Gsa/s 4Ch)
Sample Memory4Mpts (half-channel mode at <2GSa/s; 2Mpts in 4ch mode at <2GSa/s; 1MB half-channel mode >2GSa/s; 500k in 4ch mode >2Gsa/s)32Mpts (half-channel, 16Mpts 4Ch), optional ('M') 128Mpts (half-channel, 64Mpts 4ch)
FFTup to 1Mptsup to 32Mpts (128Mpts with 'M' option)
Update rate>450k wfms/s>1M wfms/s
Display12.1" SVGA (800x600) Touchscreen12.1" WXGA (1280x800) Touchscreen
AWG20MHz 2Ch (option)N/A
MSO16Ch (option)16Ch (option)
PlatformWindows CEWindows 7 Professional 64bit

And I'm not even touching the other differences, like available options.

Daniel is right when saying that the WR8k is closer to the Infiniium line than the InfiniiVision scopes, at least in performance (the price is closer to the InfiniiVision, though). The entry in the Infiniium Series is the DSO9k, which is a really nice scope but the 1Ghz version already starts at $19k+.

The DSO-S is Keysight's "high definition" scope (10bit) and pretty much competes with the LeCroy HDO (12bit).

As usual these very competitive companies have priced their products in line with each other and there arent any substantial outliers,

As shown above, that is wrong.

certainly nothing with:

noticably more expensive, by vastly inferior specs.

So I guess you think that $18k for a 4Mpts scope which if you make use of all channels and the higher sample rate it offers drops to 500k is a good price then. Fair enough.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 07:08:01 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 08:46:21 am »

As usual these very competitive companies have priced their products in line with each other and there arent any substantial outliers,

If you like your imaginary specifications, nowhere does lecroy claim a 1M wfms/s never have they, its just you. 1us between segmented captures yes, but not waveform update. Compares similarly to the Keysight Infiniium 9000 or S with 4us and 4.5us respectively.

This new lecroy offering sits neatly between the Keysight offerings as mentioned above, while coming in cheaper against either. But its comparable on specifications and sits with the market. If we add 4 channel 1GHz models from the higher Keysight series against your table and correct a few things, the new Lecroy offering is cheaper but not leading specifications.

ParameterKeysight DSOX6004 1GHzLeCroy WaveRunner 8104Keysight DSOS104AKeysight DSO9104A
Price$18k$16k (reported)$21k$19.5k
Sample Rate20GSa/s (half ch), 10GSa/s (4ch)20GSa/s (half ch), 10GSa/s (4ch) (optional: 40GSa/s half-ch, 20Gsa/s 4Ch)20GSa/s (half ch), 10GSa/s (4ch)20GSa/s (half ch), 10GSa/s (4ch)
Sample Memory4Mpts (half-channel mode at <2GSa/s; 2Mpts in 4ch mode at <2GSa/s; 1MB half-channel mode >2GSa/s; 500k in 4ch mode >2Gsa/s)32Mpts (half-channel, 16Mpts 4Ch), optional ('M') 128Mpts (half-channel, 64Mpts 4ch)50Mpts (half-channel, 100Mpts 4Ch), optional 400Mpts (half-channel, 200Mpts 4ch)20Mpts (half-channel, 40Mpts 4Ch), optional 250Mpts (half-channel, 500Mpts 4ch)
FFTup to 1Mptsup to 32Mpts (128Mpts with 'M' option)up to 50Mpts (400Mpts with option)full memory depth?
Update rate135k wfms/s (>450k wfms/s in special acquisition mode)unknown700 wfms/s1000 wfms/s
Segmented Trigger Rearm1us1us4.5us4us
Display12.1" SVGA (800x600) Touchscreen12.1" WXGA (1280x800) Touchscreen15" XGA (1024x768) Touchscreen15" XGA (1024x768) Touchscreen
AWG20MHz 2Ch (option)N/AN/AN/A
MSO16Ch (option)16Ch (option)16Ch (option)16Ch (option)
PlatformWindows CEWindows 7 Professional 64bitWindows 7 EmbeddedWindows 7 Embedded

We'll both agree there are no comparable models from Tek or Rigol ;) Options can often seal the deal or be the entire purpose for buying a specific mid-high end scope, options for both brands are similar with Keysight having a few more protocol compliance packages. The upper end of this new Lecroy 8000 line might be similarly good value if the prices suggested for the top end 4GHz/64Mpts/40GS/s model are true keeping a 20-30% or so discount against the comparable Keysight products.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 11:47:48 am »

If you like your imaginary specifications, nowhere does lecroy claim a 1M wfms/s never have they

No, of course not. And if you close your eyes and stamp with your feet then I'm sure page 17 of the WR8k datasheet will never have existed:

"Maximum Trigger Rate    1,000,000 waveforms/second (in Sequence Mode, up to 4 channels)"

Imaginary, right :palm:

its just you.1us between segmented captures yes, but not waveform update. Compares similarly to the Keysight Infiniium 9000 or S with 4us and 4.5us respectively.

Yes, the max update rate is in segmented mode. So what? It's normal for pretty much any standard DSO to achieve the highest update rate in segmented mode for deep memory scopes that aren't suffering from early sample memory exhaustion.

This new lecroy offering sits neatly between the Keysight offerings as mentioned above, while coming in cheaper against either. But its comparable on specifications and sits with the market. If we add 4 channel 1GHz models from the higher Keysight series against your table and correct a few things, the new Lecroy offering is cheaper but not leading specifications.

What a surprise, it's no longer leading in specs if you compare it against an even more expensive scope. Who would have though! Thank you, Captain Obvious!  :-+

Anyways, it shows that in the price range the WR Series sits there isn't much else which offers similar performance/features. Or in your language, to get a comparable Keysight scope you have to spend a lot more money.

And as to the DSO9k, it's starting price brings you directly into WavePro 7Zi-A territory, which again is noticeably less expensive than the comparable Keysight. Same with the WaveMaster 8zi and the DSO90k.

We'll both agree there are no comparable models from Tek or Rigol ;)

Rigol, I fully agree.

Tek, well there's the DPO7000C, some another rehash of a roughly ten year old scope design. And the 500MHz variant starts at $18k. I didn't look at the options but at least memory specs are better than for the Keysight DSOX6k (well, they could hardly be worse, can they?).

Options can often seal the deal or be the entire purpose for buying a specific mid-high end scope, options for both brands are similar with Keysight having a few more protocol compliance packages.

Similar you say? OK, let's see:

DSOX6004 Options:

Triggers:   - HDTV

Serial Decode:   
- ARINC429
- Audiobus (I2S)
- CAN/CAN-FD
- FlexRay
- I2C/SPI
- LIN
- MIL-STD 1553
- SENT
- UART/RS232/RS422/RS485
- USB 2.0

Software:
- Jitter
- Power Analysis
- Real-Time Eye Diagram
- Mask/limit
- USB 2.0 Signal Quality
- HDTV analysis
- FPGA

WaveRunner 8000 Options:

Serial Decode:
- 8B/10B * (includes 3.125 Gbps serial trigger)
- ARINC429 *
- AudioBus (I2S) *
- CAN/CAN-FD *
- DigRF 3G
- DigRF V4
- Ethernet
- Fibre Channel
- FlexRay *
- I2C
- LIN *
- Manchester
- MIL-STD-1553
- MIPI D-PHY CSI-2
- NRZ
- PCIe Gen1
- SAS
- SATA *
- SENT
- SpaceWire
- SPI *
- UART/RS232 *
- USB 2.0 incl High Speed Mode *

Items marked with '*' are also supported for Triggering, and most of them also supported for measure/graph and eye diagrams in Eye Doctor II.

Serial Data Compliance options:
- BroadR-Reach
- Ethernet 10/100/1000BT
- DDR2
- DDR3
- LPDDR2
- MIPI D-PHY
- MOST 150
- MOST 50
- USB 2.0

General Software options:
- Development option (WR8K-XDEV)
- Serial Data Analysis II (WR8K-SDAII)
- Eye Doctor II (WR8K-EYEDRII)
- Serial Data Mask (WR8K-SDM)
- Electrical Telecom Pulse Mask (WR8K-ET-PMT)
- Spectrum Analyzer Option (WR8K-SPECTRUM)
- Power Analyzer (WR8K-PWR)
- Disk Drive Measurements (WR8K-DDM2)
- Cable De-Embedding (WR8K-CBL-DE-EMBED)

Comparable? Yeah, right.  :-DD  If you believe that the list of options is anywhere comparable you really need to get your head examined. And again, the WR is noticably cheaper than the DSOX6k.

And that is just the initial set of options, I'm sure will further extend this as they've done for pretty much all their previous scopes.

What the list of options doesn't show is that the options in the LeCroy are much more versatile. SDA and Eye Doctor are very powerful packages, plus the options aren't all separated but neatly integrate with each other.

The upper end of this new Lecroy 8000 line might be similarly good value if the prices suggested for the top end 4GHz/64Mpts/40GS/s model are true keeping a 20-30% or so discount against the comparable Keysight products.

Usually the higher you go the larger gets the price difference. Both Keysight and LeCroy give roughly similar incentives so the difference in list price pretty much translates to the actual sales price large customers pay.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:54:11 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 12:05:45 pm »
Quote from: Wuerstchenhund
Update rate   >450k wfms/s   >1M wfms/s

"Maximum Trigger Rate    1,000,000 waveforms/second (in Sequence Mode, up to 4 channels)"

So, we can tell that Siglent SDS1000X and SDS2000 and SDS2000X wfm/s update rate is max 500kwfm/s. Nice.
(waveforms speed in Sequence mode inside one sequence what include >42000 waveform)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:14:09 pm by rf-loop »
EV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 12:24:16 pm »
So, we can tell that Siglent SDS1000X and SDS2000 and SDS2000X wfm/s update rate is max 500kwfm/s. Nice.

If that's what they are really capable of (i.e. you can measure it), then yes you can say that.

Why shouldn't you?

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 03:40:40 pm »
The big reason we came out with the 6000 X-Series is that we heard a lot of feedback from people asking from more bandwidth in the InfiniiVision form factor.  You could easily just pick it up and walk down the hall (6.8kg).  It's also the cheapest 6 GHz scope available by a long shot as far as I know.  The higher BW models are much more popular than the 1 GHz because there are so many 1 GHz scopes out there.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 04:38:18 pm »

If that's what they are really capable of (i.e. you can measure it), then yes you can say that.

Why shouldn't you?

Of course they are capable of this speed. It is tested/measured  many times.
EV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 06:26:45 pm »
The big reason we came out with the 6000 X-Series is that we heard a lot of feedback from people asking from more bandwidth in the InfiniiVision form factor.  You could easily just pick it up and walk down the hall (6.8kg).  It's also the cheapest 6 GHz scope available by a long shot as far as I know.  The higher BW models are much more popular than the 1 GHz because there are so many 1 GHz scopes out there.

I'm sure you're right re the price, it is the cheapest 6Ghz scope (I don't have the price at hand but I think the 6GHz one goes for $38k or so). And you're right re portability, the DSOX6k it's a very compact and lightweight high bandwidth scope.

The issue I see is that there's not really a lot you can do with it because of its hardware limitations. We buy a lot (really a lot) of test gear, and the vast majority is Keysight. But most of the labs we serve have no use for the DSOX6k. The 6Ghz variant may be cheap but it's hampered by the weak hardware platform and Windows CE, and like no other scope in Keysight's portfolio it shows the weakness of the MegaZoom ASIC architecture. I'm sorry but 4M is way too small in this class, and much more so when the sampling rate has to stay below 2GSa/s to be able to use the full memory (at 2GSa/s and above it only has one quarter, i.e. 1M for half-channel and 500k for quad channel). My guess is that this was done to increase the memory bandwidth to deal with the high amount of data that comes in at 20GSa/s, and it shows that MegaZoom isn't really up to it. And I'm sure I don't have to tell you that such tiny sample memories present a very big limitation in a 20GSa/s scope as the high sample rate is only available at very short time bases and will drop notably with increasing length.

Also, the tiny memory and the slow hardware platform only allow comparably simple analysis tools (the Power Analysis and Jitter tools of the DSOX6k are closer to what you find on the LeCroy WaveSurfer 10, and that is a $10k 1GHz mid-range scope, although with more memory), and the closed WindowsCE platform prevents the use of customized analysis tools like MathLab. And unfortunately most areas where a high bandwidth scope is required these shortcomings matter.

The DSO9k isn't really an alternative as it's even more expensive than the DSOX6k, and while it offers some very good specs it's really placed above the WaveRunner (it's closer to the WavePro Series from LeCroy). That leaves Keysight with a pretty large gap for a 500Mhz to 4GHz Infiniium scope with competitive specs.

What I'd like to see from Keysight would be to replace the whole DSOX Series, which has become somewhat stale anyways, with a new Series of scopes. I leave the entry level out (it's not really my market anyways) but for the lower mid-range (200MHz to 1GHz, 2.5/5GSa/s) I'd like to see a InfiniiVision scope on an embedded platform (WinCE) with at least 10 to 12MB sample memory (which also shouldn't half or get quartered when using certain functions/sample rates), at least an XGA or WXGA display, 1M or 2M FFT, and network and monitor ports (DisplayPort) as standard. Make this in two versions with 6.4" and 10" as a replacement for the DSOX3k and DSOX4k. Have a look at the LeCroy WaveSurfer 3000. I'm sure Keysight could come out with a similar price/performance ratio if they wanted.

Above the DSOX4k replacement I'd like to see a Windows scope (Infiniiium) with similar specs and performance data as the WR8K. There is really nothing at the moment in Keysight's portfolio which can fill that gap. And that's a gap where a lot of the scopes we order are located within. Maybe offer a cut-down variant of the 89600B Vector Analysis software as an option, which would be a great option.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:35:00 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 07:19:45 pm »
All good feedback, for sure!  The 89600 works with the InfiniiVision scopes, but it would be really cool to have it as an integrated software app.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 12:19:38 am »

If you like your imaginary specifications, nowhere does lecroy claim a 1M wfms/s never have they

No, of course not. And if you close your eyes and stamp with your feet then I'm sure page 17 of the WR8k datasheet will never have existed:

Imaginary, right :palm:

its just you.1us between segmented captures yes, but not waveform update. Compares similarly to the Keysight Infiniium 9000 or S with 4us and 4.5us respectively.

Yes, the max update rate is in segmented mode. So what? It's normal for pretty much any standard DSO to achieve the highest update rate in segmented mode for deep memory scopes that aren't suffering from early sample memory exhaustion.
You still won't believe that there is a world of realtime update, and its completely different to segmented capture. If the Lecroy products offer fast realtime update rates, why do they not advertise or specify it? Why has no-one measured it and shared the results? Probably because it doesn't have a fast realtime update rate. As has been the subject of many lengthy threads on this forum, realtime update rate has some niche uses but that and the similarly fast mask testing are the point of difference (selling feature) in specifications for the Keysight X series scopes. Having that realtime speed in a 4/6GHz scope is quite a unique position.

You can make disingenuous comparisons between the Lecroy 8000 and Keysight 6000X series all day long until you are blue in the face, but it forgets that they are targeting different uses/markets/purposes. If you want to make relative comparisons look at the Keysight offerings that have deep memory and Windows 7 operating systems such as the models mentioned to you, they are 20-30% more expensive but otherwise hitting specifications that are almost identical (and small differentiators such as more compliance packages...). As the friendly representative from Keysight has noted, the 1GHz scope market is full of different options, its worth looking carefully at them all to find whats best for the specific uses, the Tek DPO7000C or DPO5000B might even get a look in.

You're a Lecroy fanboi, we'll call you out on this, especially while you make up specifications for products and provide weak comparisons to try and proclaim how amazing Lecroy are.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 11:07:09 am »
You still won't believe that there is a world of realtime update, and its completely different to segmented capture.

And you still show a lack of grasp of some basic facts.

Pretty much every deep memory DSO has the fastest update rate in segmented mode. The InfiniiVisions like the DSOX are an exception because the MegaZoom ASIC is designed for a high real-time update rate, on the other hand the small memory hampers its update rate in segmented mode.

If the Lecroy products offer fast realtime update rates, why do they not advertise or specify it?

Why should they specify it? The update rate varies a lot depending on time base settings and memory settings (yes, you can set memory on these manually, it's not auto only as in the InfiniiVision Series). That's why pretty much every manufacturer just posts the maximum rate the scope can reach. I didn't hear you complain that Tek or R&S only specify the maximum rate, and to some extent even Keysight does.

And as to why they don't advertize it, well I have to guess here but it seems they have plenty of other interesting features they can base their marketing on (you've seen the list). You could ask as well why they don't have these ridiculous "ours-vs-theirs" comparisons as pretty much every other big brand that obviously has not enough to say about their product and therefore needs to bash the competition.

Why has no-one measured it and shared the results?

I don't know? Maybe because the waveforum update rate is much more important for entry level scopes which have pretty basic triggers only, and are often used in a similar way as analog scopes (i.e. the user staring at the screen waiting to see a glitch) and less so for a high-end scope.

But hey, here's a chance for you to shine! Why don't you get one of these scopes (they might even give you a loaner), do some waveform rate testing and publish the results?  :-+

Probably because it doesn't have a fast realtime update rate.

As I said, there's your chance! Why don't you go ahead and prove that the LeCroy scope (pick one, WRXi, WRXi-A, WR6zi, WP7zi, WM8zi, WR8k) doesn't have a fast waveform update rate, or one that is inferior to the competition?

BTW: ever had a look at the Keysight Infiniiums? I guess not. They all have pretty low real-time update rates, and reach their maximum in segmented mode. Funny enough, most of their high end scopes are well below the 1M wfms/s mark even in segmented mode.

As has been the subject of many lengthy threads on this forum, realtime update rate has some niche uses but that and the similarly fast mask testing are the point of difference (selling feature) in specifications for the Keysight X series scopes. Having that realtime speed in a 4/6GHz scope is quite a unique position.

Yes, it's unique and pretty useless because the limitations of that architecture, but it's obvious you've never used an advanced high bandwidth scope in a demanding test scenario or you'd had known that yourself. You really think I'd use some primitive tool like mask testing for searching for a glitch when on a newer high-end scope I have a wide range of tools available to detect, identify and quantify any type of irregularity in a repetitive and non-repetitive signal? :palm:

Not that the fast real-time update of the DSOX6k wouldn't be nice, but it comes at significant costs, not just in price but most importantly in features and capabilities. You have to have very low expectations if you think 500k of memory are useful in a 6Ghz scope sampling at 10Gsa/s.

But as I said, it's clear you've never come into a situation requiring a scope of this class, so I'm cutting you some slack here.

You can make disingenuous comparisons between the Lecroy 8000 and Keysight 6000X series all day long until you are blue in the face, but it forgets that they are targeting different uses/markets/purposes. If you want to make relative comparisons look at the Keysight offerings that have deep memory and Windows 7 operating systems such as the models mentioned to you, they are 20-30% more expensive but otherwise hitting specifications that are almost identical (and small differentiators such as more compliance packages...).

That must be one of the most stupid arguments I've heard in a long time, and I heard quite a few. Are you really saying that Keysight scopes are better because a model that is comparable with the WR8K is only 20-30% more expensive? Seriously? |O

As the friendly representative from Keysight has noted, the 1GHz scope market is full of different options, its worth looking carefully at them all to find whats best for the specific uses, the Tek DPO7000C or DPO5000B might even get a look in.

Yes, there are quite a few 1Ghz scopes, but as always you're completely missing the point. This isn't about some 1Ghz scope, it's about a lower high-end scope in the 500Mhz to 4Ghz bandwidth bracket and a starting price in the $14k region.

You're a Lecroy fanboi, we'll call you out on this,

Who is *we*? You mean that certain other poster who just had his post deleted by a moderator for trolling? You're pretty much alone, and the only difference between you and this other poster is that your trolling attempts are more timid. The modus operandi however is the same: make wild statements, provide zero proof, and accuse the "opponent" as fanboi. Based on some of your incredible moronic statements it would probably be fair to label you as "Keysight fanboi", but I have nothing against Keysight, they make a lot of really great kit and offer tremendous service, and the last thing I want is to associate this fine company with a troll.

Anyways, it seems you're now alone in your anti-LeCroy jihad.

especially while you make up specifications for products and provide weak comparisons to try and proclaim how amazing Lecroy are.

Says the gasbag who has not provided a single shred of evidence and clearly lacks the grasp of the topic. :palm:

So unless you can provide some proof or references substantiating your claims I'll now ignore your rants and troll attempts. But I'm not holding my breath re the references, because I know full well that (like a certain other poster that shall be unnamed) you're not up for it because it's all just a lot of hot air.

I do contribute to this forum in my free time, and frankly I've already wasted too much time with shallow trolls when I could have a productive discussions with some intelligent adults instead.

Have a nice day! :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: digsys

Offline quantumvolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 12:14:26 pm »
When everything else fails in this forum - I can always save my day by reading a SausageHound Scope Post. Thanks.  :-DMM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 12:49:40 pm »
When everything else fails in this forum - I can always save my day by reading a SausageHound Scope Post. Thanks.  :-DMM

Thanks!

I also do birthday parties, halloween parties and bar mitzvahs  ;D

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 09:53:51 pm »
Back to the fear and uncertainty campaign I see.

You still won't believe that there is a world of realtime update, and its completely different to segmented capture.

And you still show a lack of grasp of some basic facts.

Pretty much every deep memory DSO has the fastest update rate in segmented mode. The InfiniiVisions like the DSOX are an exception because the MegaZoom ASIC is designed for a high real-time update rate, on the other hand the small memory hampers its update rate in segmented mode.

If the Lecroy products offer fast realtime update rates, why do they not advertise or specify it?

Why should they specify it? The update rate varies a lot depending on time base settings and memory settings (yes, you can set memory on these manually, it's not auto only as in the InfiniiVision Series). That's why pretty much every manufacturer just posts the maximum rate the scope can reach. I didn't hear you complain that Tek or R&S only specify the maximum rate, and to some extent even Keysight does.

And as to why they don't advertize it, well I have to guess here but it seems they have plenty of other interesting features they can base their marketing on (you've seen the list). You could ask as well why they don't have these ridiculous "ours-vs-theirs" comparisons as pretty much every other big brand that obviously has not enough to say about their product and therefore needs to bash the competition.

Why has no-one measured it and shared the results?

I don't know? Maybe because the waveforum update rate is much more important for entry level scopes which have pretty basic triggers only, and are often used in a similar way as analog scopes (i.e. the user staring at the screen waiting to see a glitch) and less so for a high-end scope.

But hey, here's a chance for you to shine! Why don't you get one of these scopes (they might even give you a loaner), do some waveform rate testing and publish the results?  :-+

Probably because it doesn't have a fast realtime update rate.

As I said, there's your chance! Why don't you go ahead and prove that the LeCroy scope (pick one, WRXi, WRXi-A, WR6zi, WP7zi, WM8zi, WR8k) doesn't have a fast waveform update rate, or one that is inferior to the competition?

BTW: ever had a look at the Keysight Infiniiums? I guess not. They all have pretty low real-time update rates, and reach their maximum in segmented mode. Funny enough, most of their high end scopes are well below the 1M wfms/s mark even in segmented mode.
You incorrectly equated realtime capture performance with segmented capture performance (again, and I'll call you out on it every time) and cherry picked numbers that weren't comparable to make it appear like the Lecroy product had superior specifications. All the larger scopes here are Agilent and Tek so I can't measure the performance of a recent Lecroy product, but I'm not the one trying to claim it has any specific waveform update rate, thats you and its on you to provide the evidence for those claims.

But as I said, it's clear you've never come into a situation requiring a scope of this class, so I'm cutting you some slack here.
Here comes the FUD. I routinely work with multi-gigabit serial transceivers, and look at clock performance with FFT on long memory depths on both more expensive and less expensive scopes, but you're welcome to draw more lies into your wall of FUD. To bulk out that full quote:
As has been the subject of many lengthy threads on this forum, realtime update rate has some niche uses but that and the similarly fast mask testing are the point of difference (selling feature) in specifications for the Keysight X series scopes. Having that realtime speed in a 4/6GHz scope is quite a unique position.

Yes, it's unique and pretty useless because the limitations of that architecture, but it's obvious you've never used an advanced high bandwidth scope in a demanding test scenario or you'd had known that yourself. You really think I'd use some primitive tool like mask testing for searching for a glitch when on a newer high-end scope I have a wide range of tools available to detect, identify and quantify any type of irregularity in a repetitive and non-repetitive signal? :palm:

Not that the fast real-time update of the DSOX6k wouldn't be nice, but it comes at significant costs, not just in price but most importantly in features and capabilities. You have to have very low expectations if you think 500k of memory are useful in a 6Ghz scope sampling at 10Gsa/s.
I've found niche uses for the extremely high realtime update rates working on high speed ADCs. When building eye diagrams of transceivers I get bored waiting to capture the data, realtime update speeds can increase my productivity or show otherwise unseen problems, its useful where available.

You can make disingenuous comparisons between the Lecroy 8000 and Keysight 6000X series all day long until you are blue in the face, but it forgets that they are targeting different uses/markets/purposes. If you want to make relative comparisons look at the Keysight offerings that have deep memory and Windows 7 operating systems such as the models mentioned to you, they are 20-30% more expensive but otherwise hitting specifications that are almost identical (and small differentiators such as more compliance packages...).

That must be one of the most stupid arguments I've heard in a long time, and I heard quite a few. Are you really saying that Keysight scopes are better because a model that is comparable with the WR8K is only 20-30% more expensive? Seriously?
Nowhere did I say they were better, but they compare on specifications, to balance your fixation on comparing the Lecroy 8000 series to the not comparable Keysight 6000X (compare instead to the Infiniium scopes as suggested and presented).

especially while you make up specifications for products and provide weak comparisons to try and proclaim how amazing Lecroy are.

Says the gasbag who has not provided a single shred of evidence and clearly lacks the grasp of the topic.
I've put up the numbers from the manufacturers so that people can compare them, against comparable products. Stop introducing imaginary specifications/performance or disingenuous comparisons and it won't be a problem.

I do contribute to this forum in my free time, and frankly I've already wasted too much time with shallow trolls when I could have a productive discussions with some intelligent adults instead.
You post almost exclusively in the Test and Mesurement sub forum, with a focus on promoting particular brands. But do please add more FUD to the thread.

Offline D3f1ant

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing as little as possible, but no less.
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 03:56:32 am »
This place starting to read like an Apple forum  :box: Pity there only the two contenders  :popcorn:

I would be disappointed if a new product wasn't better than existing product in a similar price category, that's a natural technology progression, granted test equipment seems to have very long update/refresh cycles...compared to phones
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:03:47 am by D3f1ant »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf