Author Topic: NEW Keysight HD3  (Read 47766 times)

msuthar and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
Re: NEW Keysight HD3
« Reply #800 on: September 29, 2024, 07:56:15 am »
Quite something to see how many people on pretty much all aspects of social media that Keysight gifted these HD304MSO with 1G and close to full option pack
Even smaller YouTube channels with a tad over 2000 subscribers. and like 15 videos uploaded over a 5-year span.

No wonder, this channel-holder is out of his mind, and simply couldn't believe it with his influencer-merits, that Keysight just gifted him a 25 to 30K scope.
He admits in his details & the video' that he is out of water, on what you do with such an advanced scope, as it's quite a jump from his 2ch. 60MHz [GDS1062A] so have that in mind.
It's an interesting take on HD304MSO/1G.

Video on his HD304MSO/1G https://youtu.be/x9r6ouSlnhA?si=Z6voCYFS9dD3VREq
Channel not open for embed
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 11:55:07 am by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Bad_Driver

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #801 on: September 29, 2024, 08:27:57 am »
 :palm:

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, HighVoltage, hpw, newbrain, 2N3055, Jacon, Bad_Driver

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #802 on: September 29, 2024, 08:50:32 am »

Why is it so difficult to do the HD3 and detailed FFT measurements? Because so far I haven't seen anything. This would allow you to better assess the potential of this device. Noise and signals in different bandwidths and FFT up to 32M sizes. As well as what the sample & FFT data looks like when exported.

Hp

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #803 on: September 29, 2024, 10:47:00 am »
all the major scope manufacturers provide an adapter to use TekProbe II probes ....The adapters generally aren't cheap, but it beats re-buying the range of probes just because you want/need to switch scope manufacturers.

Indeed. There are plenty of "manufacturer-neutral" current and differential probes, but active probes are almost always tied to a specific vendor.

I'm doing a webinar on oscilloscope probe fundamentals next month and this is one of the things I mention.  Took me forever to make the graphic :)

2386311-0

Edit: added R&S

:) 

https://scdn.rohde-schwarz.com/ur/pws/dl_downloads/pdm/cl_manuals/user_manual/1326_4383_01/RT-Z2T_UserManual_en_04.pdf
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tycoon_9

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #804 on: September 29, 2024, 02:20:58 pm »

Why is it so difficult to do the HD3 and detailed FFT measurements? Because so far I haven't seen anything. This would allow you to better assess the potential of this device. Noise and signals in different bandwidths and FFT up to 32M sizes. As well as what the sample & FFT data looks like when exported.

Hp
So far we have not seen any exported that data that make sense, in terms of data length and bit resolution. Also haven't seen believable waveform update rate measurements. I am waiting for someone who actually paid for the scope and has a bit of a buyer's remorse to do a proper review.

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #805 on: September 29, 2024, 02:47:20 pm »

Hp
So far we have not seen any exported that data that make sense, in terms of data length and bit resolution. Also haven't seen believable waveform update rate measurements. I am waiting for someone who actually paid for the scope and has a bit of a buyer's remorse to do a proper review.

I did some google and found from IMSAI guy the following about the HD3:

#1997 Keysight HD3 FFT                                                         , I mean more needs to come about
#1999 Keysight HD3 noise vs bandwidth                               
#2002 Keysight HD3 Probe Calibration including PP00001A    

Hp

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #806 on: September 29, 2024, 05:06:50 pm »
Hello,

350 mhz, 100 mhz, 50 mhz, 5 mhz. My body temperature rose by -273 °C in shock :)

Best regards
egonotto

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline tycoon_9

« Reply #807 on: September 29, 2024, 06:36:12 pm »
all the major scope manufacturers provide an adapter to use TekProbe II probes ....The adapters generally aren't cheap, but it beats re-buying the range of probes just because you want/need to switch scope manufacturers.

Indeed. There are plenty of "manufacturer-neutral" current and differential probes, but active probes are almost always tied to a specific vendor.

I'm doing a webinar on oscilloscope probe fundamentals next month and this is one of the things I mention.  Took me forever to make the graphic :)

(Attachment Link)

Edit: added R&S

:) 

https://scdn.rohde-schwarz.com/ur/pws/dl_downloads/pdm/cl_manuals/user_manual/1326_4383_01/RT-Z2T_UserManual_en_04.pdf

Does R&S plan to make an Agilent Autoprobe to R&S probe adapter? The Agilent Autoprobe patent has been expired. ;D.   
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5939875A/en
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 07:01:33 pm by tycoon_9 »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #808 on: September 29, 2024, 06:54:43 pm »
Hello,

350 mhz, 100 mhz, 50 mhz, 5 mhz. My body temperature rose by -273 °C in shock :)

Best regards
egonotto

Custom bandwith would be a nice feature..
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #809 on: September 29, 2024, 07:22:55 pm »
Custom bandwith would be a nice feature..

Hello,

I have already thought about using a nanovoltmeter to make a single-channel oscilloscope with 200 mHz bandwidth and 20 bit resolution and noise below 0.1 uV rms
With a maximum sensitivity of 0.5 uV/div.

Best regards
egonotto
PS: Micsig MHO3 has a selectable bandwidth from 30 Hz up to the full bandwidth.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 07:26:36 pm by egonotto »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #810 on: September 29, 2024, 07:35:42 pm »

Don't tease me, I dream of “filtering” a PWM signal with my scope without having to use a real filter.... ;)
(Kierkegaard)

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #811 on: September 29, 2024, 07:57:24 pm »

Don't tease me, I dream of “filtering” a PWM signal with my scope without having to use a real filter.... ;)

Hello,

I'm sorry, but I think the Micsig MHO3 can do that.
The 1 kHz signal can be seen as a special PWM signal.

Best regards
egonotto

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #812 on: September 29, 2024, 08:10:20 pm »

On your scope you can do this though...

150kHz modulated with 400Hz PWM
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 08:16:00 pm by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #813 on: September 29, 2024, 10:54:44 pm »
Does R&S plan to make an Agilent Autoprobe to R&S probe adapter? The Agilent Autoprobe patent has been expired. ;D.   

Even though the patent has expired, it is my understanding (because I need to ask) that the patent alone doesn't contain enough detailed technical information to (easily) create an adapter. 

If someone out there had that kind of information and was willing to share, I'd certainly be very happy to ask the product line if this is something they would be interested in doing.
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, HighVoltage, tycoon_9

Offline tycoon_9

« Reply #814 on: Yesterday at 01:05:58 am »

Even though the patent has expired, it is my understanding (because I need to ask) that the patent alone doesn't contain enough detailed technical information to (easily) create an adapter. 

If someone out there had that kind of information and was willing to share, I'd certainly be very happy to ask the product line if this is something they would be interested in doing.

Here we go   ;) 8)

https://electronicprojectsforfun.wordpress.com/using-the-keysight-autoprobe-interface-in-your-own-projects/

https://beta2.alciom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/powerprobe-1a.pdf

I am sure that other folks (including me) would buy something like this if it were coming out of R&S.  I hope the R&S marketing /product guys can take a short look.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:11:14 am by tycoon_9 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #815 on: Yesterday at 03:28:46 am »
I am sure that other folks (including me) would buy something like this if it were coming out of R&S.  I hope the R&S marketing /product guys can take a short look.

Thanks!  I'll show it to our product planner tomorrow :)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tycoon_9

Offline 44kgk1lkf6u

• Contributor
« Reply #816 on: Yesterday at 04:07:21 am »

Even old oscilloscopes have a high resolution mode which does boxcar averaging.  The screenshot is a 160 kHz square wave modulated with a 400 Hz sine wave as seen on a Tektronix TDS500D.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:09:28 am by 44kgk1lkf6u »

The following users thanked this post: Someone, egonotto, Martin72

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #817 on: Yesterday at 07:07:33 pm »

Even old oscilloscopes have a high resolution mode which does boxcar averaging.  The screenshot is a 160 kHz square wave modulated with a 400 Hz sine wave as seen on a Tektronix TDS500D.

Many scopes have some version of HiRes, but we are talking dedicated filtering, per channel.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #818 on: Yesterday at 09:04:46 pm »
That was what I had fallen for 20 years ago.
An ancient LeCroy from 1993, PWM measured and then under math Eres +3bits was called up - and then it was a sine...
How big the disappointment was then, that it didn't work that way with newer scopes, because I just hadn't understood anything back then... ;)
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, KungFuJosh

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #819 on: Yesterday at 11:00:53 pm »
That was what I had fallen for 20 years ago.
An ancient LeCroy from 1993, PWM measured and then under math Eres +3bits was called up - and then it was a sine...
How big the disappointment was then, that it didn't work that way with newer scopes, because I just hadn't understood anything back then... ;)
Keysight 1000,2000,3000,HD3
Siglent HD anything
all have selectable filters using the math channel, so its not some unobtanium feature that is impossible to find.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #820 on: Today at 05:13:39 am »
Micsigs variable filter approach, though on this unit 30KHz to full bw & pr ch & XY, on newer scopes it goes down to 30Hz.

https://youtu.be/nQdbVfdP3cg?si=sdqV9B7hBQcoDswi

https://youtu.be/t-y3CpUbHlk?si=HPcLWEiSCjzJDJCM

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, maxwell3e10

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf