Author Topic: NEW Keysight HD3  (Read 24384 times)

insine, thm_w, dkonigs, bte, maxwell3e10, KE5FX, mkissin, jc101, jayk, Venturi962, skander36 and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online ArdWar

• Frequent Contributor
Re: NEW Keysight HD3
« Reply #450 on: Today at 12:34:53 pm »
Ah yes, the "high impedance" *10 1GHz passive probes.

Their tagline for their "new" probe is HiZ+ Hi Voltage. So I guess they want to keep R at 10M for that 300V rating, which compromise the tip capacitance.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:38:19 pm by ArdWar »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #451 on: Today at 12:38:17 pm »

Their impedance at 1GHz is actually j40 \$\Omega\$ // 10M \$\Omega\$. Note the irrelevance of the 10M \$\Omega\$ and the lack of zeros in 40 \$\Omega\$, due to the 4pF tip capacitance :(

For comparison my 1.5GHz *10 HP10020A passive probes (introduced in 1978!) are >j230 \$\Omega\$ // 500 \$\Omega\$ Note the significantly reduced loading due to the <0.7pF tip capacitance :)

And still 500R at DC instead of 10M  ::)

My probe that cost a couple of bucks is probably just as good, 13:50

Online maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #452 on: Today at 12:42:20 pm »
The update rate that does not change is all great, but it's clear that measurements are done on only a small fraction of waveforms. For FFT I think it is even worse. One could test with a short occasional sine wave burst and see how long it will take to show up in FFT.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #453 on: Today at 12:46:57 pm »
The update rate that does not change is all great, but it's clear that measurements are done on only a small fraction of waveforms.

All that matters is the final measurement update rate, 7 times faster is still 7 times faster, AND you still keep the high update rate for capture as well.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #454 on: Today at 12:58:23 pm »
Why do they have the illuminated buttons and also the LEDs next to them? Do they do different things?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #455 on: Today at 02:10:05 pm »

Their tagline for their "new" probe is HiZ+ Hi Voltage. So I guess they want to keep R at 10M for that 300V rating, which compromise the tip capacitance.

HiR would be accurate.
HiZ is inaccurate. There are HPWay anecdotes about Paul Ely being the recipient of Packard's response to inaccurate advertising claims - and Ely's commendable response.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:16:41 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #456 on: Today at 02:14:55 pm »

Their impedance at 1GHz is actually j40 \$\Omega\$ // 10M \$\Omega\$. Note the irrelevance of the 10M \$\Omega\$ and the lack of zeros in 40 \$\Omega\$, due to the 4pF tip capacitance :(

For comparison my 1.5GHz *10 HP10020A passive probes (introduced in 1978!) are >j230 \$\Omega\$ // 500 \$\Omega\$ Note the significantly reduced loading due to the <0.7pF tip capacitance :)

And still 500R at DC instead of 10M  ::)

My probe that cost a couple of bucks is probably just as good, 13:50

It is claimed to be a 1GHz probe, so the 40 \$\Omega\$ tip impedance is extremely relevant.

Two buck probe being "just as good" for what, exactly? A £20 100MHz scope yes, but not a £20000 1GHz scope - certainly not.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #457 on: Today at 02:26:41 pm »
All that matters is the final measurement update rate, 7 times faster is still 7 times faster, AND you still keep the high update rate for capture as well.

What I am missing:

- As locking for the maximal FFT size (somewhere mentioned HD3 as 32M FFT) as may licensed memory dependent.
  This would anyway lower the update rate. While did not find any specifications.

- How the ENOB on 100uV as may 200uV too will show up and how the noise will be.

- The internal reference oscillator PN specifications and nothing about the synthesizer jitter in various time/div

- Do we have a 10MHz reference output?

- FFT with rtHz scaling, this would knock out many others from Asia

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #458 on: Today at 02:45:37 pm »
Does it support Ali-pay, Apple pay and Google pay? Tap your phone to have 10 minutes of protocol decoding.
Honestly, I wish the scope makers were willing to rent expensive options for short periods, precisely for when you just need it for a bit.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #459 on: Today at 02:57:18 pm »
Does it support Ali-pay, Apple pay and Google pay? Tap your phone to have 10 minutes of protocol decoding.
Honestly, I wish the scope makers were willing to rent expensive options for short periods, precisely for when you just need it for a bit.

From all that I know, only R&S has currently a licensing scheme that would easily allow such feature. A nightmare for all others.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #460 on: Today at 03:27:25 pm »
Do we have a 10MHz reference output?

The wavegen output should probably be representative of the reference
« Last Edit: Today at 06:36:38 pm by mikeselectricstuff »
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #461 on: Today at 03:39:31 pm »
Why do they have the illuminated buttons and also the LEDs next to them? Do they do different things?

I think:

The button illumination indicates the channel is being displayed on the screen.
The LEDs indicate which channel the gain and offset knobs will modify.

Regards,
Jay_Diddy_B

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: Today at 06:35:41 pm »

From all that I know, only R&S has currently a licensing scheme that would easily allow such feature. A nightmare for all others.
How do you figure? As best I can tell, all the scope makers support time-limited “demos” of individual option licenses. It’s just that right now, their reps can give those out for free for testing, but usually just once or twice before their bosses get mad. I wish they just sold those time-limited licenses so we could just license certain features as needed.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #463 on: Today at 07:04:35 pm »
How do you figure? As best I can tell, all the scope makers support time-limited “demos” of individual option licenses. It’s just that right now, their reps can give those out for free for testing, but usually just once or twice before their bosses get mad. I wish they just sold those time-limited licenses so we could just license certain features as needed.

Sure they do but the problem is the minimum time interval.

For most that is days. The R&S system can potentially generate licenses for a specific date/hour, with minutes granularity. To fully answer your rent periods wish, you need a system like this.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #464 on: Today at 07:15:18 pm »

I think:

The button illumination indicates the channel is being displayed on the screen.
The LEDs indicate which channel the gain and offset knobs will modify.

Regards,
Jay_Diddy_B

Yes, the button LEDs indicate whether or not a channel is on. The other LEDs indicate multiplexed knob control. A bit of a nuance at first but is something that's pretty easy to get used to (in my experience).

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #465 on: Today at 07:40:47 pm »
37:10 - 14bit ADC TESTED

Could you explain which settings you used?
2mV/div, 50 Ohm is clear.
Which FFT setup/window?
The signal:
Is it 15µV which is passed through an attenuator and then reduced again or is the 15µV present at the scope after the attenuator?
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #466 on: Today at 07:51:59 pm »
Daniel,

New scope looks great. How about trading an HD3 model for a very cool MSOX3024T modified to 1GHz +? You'd get a piece of history demonstrating just how crazy and desperate your customers can be!  >:D >:D >:D
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Online jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #467 on: Today at 07:54:46 pm »
I’d happily swap my MSOX3104T with all the licences enabled for an HD3 of similar spec. Downside is I need both of my kidneys.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #468 on: Today at 07:58:50 pm »
It seems the lowest hardware gain range is 2mV/div. I would assume the ADC input full scale would be somewhere around ±5 divisions, or ±10mV, for the 14 bits. On the lower gain ranges, does the ADC full scale voltage remain the same i.e. ±10 divisions at 1mV/div, ±20 divisions at 500uV/div? Or is some of the improved ADC resolution used to extend the full scale further beyond the top & bottom of the screen?

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #469 on: Today at 08:53:44 pm »

What I am missing:

- As locking for the maximal FFT size (somewhere mentioned HD3 as 32M FFT) as may licensed memory dependent.
  This would anyway lower the update rate. While did not find any specifications.

- How the ENOB on 100uV as may 200uV too will show up and how the noise will be.

- The internal reference oscillator PN specifications and nothing about the synthesizer jitter in various time/div

- Do we have a 10MHz reference output?

- FFT with rtHz scaling, this would knock out many others from Asia

Be wary at very low voltage ranges. They are normally "upscaled", i.e. not really measured but simulated by software. This means ENOB there is lousy.

Look here: https://electronicprojectsforfun.wordpress.com/to-enob-or-not-to-enob/

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #470 on: Today at 09:39:59 pm »
HD3 UI true annoyances for me (from what I saw on Dave's video):

- the screen size and resolution and consequential no-scaling
- the frameless split screens (give it a cheap look , IMO)
- the vertical axes values being on the right
- the top channels/menu bar should be on the bottom

I leave all the engine analysis for the experts, but at the UI level, the MXO4 is much more polished than the HD3. It looks like KS tried to innovate but, IMO, this is an engineering instrument not a smartphone skin project. Much less if we consider that it's something that can cost ~20k€.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, egonotto, KungFuJosh

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #471 on: Today at 09:48:53 pm »
HD3 UI true annoyances for me (from what I saw on Dave's video):

- the screen size and resolution and consequential no-scaling
- the frameless split screens (give it a cheap look , IMO)
- the vertical axes values being on the right
- the top channels/menu bar should be on the bottom

I leave all the engine analysis for the experts, but at the UI level, the MXO4 is much more polished than the HD3. It looks like KS tried to innovate but, IMO, this is an engineering instrument not a smartphone skin project. Much less if we consider that it's something that can cost ~20k€.
I agree. The menus on the HD3 are too deep. They should design the UI to only open one extra window selected from a primary or secundary menu bar. Brands like Micsig and R&S got this right IMHO.

As an example: selecting measurements on the R&S RTM3004 is much easier with pictures that show what the measurements actually do. I have a Lecroy 7300A Wavepro and that has a similar way of selecting measurements (like the KS HD3) which I loath. Scrolling through a long list on a touchscreen just isn't comfortable. Especially when you need to look for something particular which isn't / can't be sorted by the nature of the items.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:52:38 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Someone, egonotto, KE5FX

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #472 on: Today at 09:57:31 pm »
I agree. The menus on the HD3 are too deep. They should design the UI to only open one extra window selected from a primary or secundary menu bar. Brands like Micsig and R&S got this right IMHO.

For me, the MAUI from lecroy is the benchmark.
I'll make a little video of it when I get the chance.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf