Author Topic: NEW Keysight HD3  (Read 24379 times)

thm_w, dkonigs, bte, maxwell3e10, KE5FX, mkissin, jc101, jayk, Venturi962, skander36 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline simone.pignatti

• Frequent Contributor
Re: NEW Keysight HD3
« Reply #375 on: Yesterday at 03:29:34 pm »
Also, it only has a 40MHz channel bandwidth selection, not 20MHz. Why?
That's twice the bandwidth, bigger is better.
But not comparable anymore with all the 20 MHz bandwidth PSU noise measurements out there.

It seems that even that 40 MHz is an digital filter. Not an analog filter in actual front end. Actual order of lowpass filter is not specified.

Each analog input channel has a 40 MHz BW Limit option that lets you disable or
enable a bandwidth limit (using a digital filter). Limiting the channel bandwidth
lets you remove unwanted high frequency noise from the waveform and increase
the number of bits of vertical resolution.

Definitely any measurement out there that was specified with 20MHz will not come out the same on this scope.
HD3 has hardware bandwidth limits 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 350, 500 MHz, 1 GHz (selectable)
At the moment is a general setting for all channels, on a next FW upgrade will be available for each single channel.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:34:49 pm by simone.pignatti »
Technical Support

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #376 on: Yesterday at 03:47:06 pm »
Options - Licenses. [#369]

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #377 on: Yesterday at 03:57:49 pm »
But not comparable anymore with all the 20 MHz bandwidth PSU noise measurements out there.
I think the joke went right over your head, even though I put a clarification the next line...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #378 on: Yesterday at 04:18:57 pm »
 (Even if I can't buy it because Keysight refuse sell it to people like me).

Why you want to buy directly from Keysight?  :-//
You can buy from a distributor (which can offer you support in case you need).

Search for "Keysight support" here and elsewhere, e.g. one current thread at https://groups.io/g/HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment/message/146632

I know about, but you said that they will refuse to sell. If you really want something from KS you can have it through an distributor like  Batterfly for ex.  @simone.pignatti . You can request support to them, they will open a case to KS as a business and get the support. KS cannot refuse them.

Will the specific distributor still be in business when I need them?

In the UK distributors are Mouser, Farnell, RS and a few other companies I haven't heard of. (RS sells Keysight scopes that are £990k+VAT) Do you think those distributors will give you effective support? RS certainly fails on support for their basic services such as calibrating a voltage source - their staff can't even comprehend that it is necessary to state the uncertainty in their measurements!

Keysight appears not to supply businesses unless they also have a website. If they will make that kind of idiotic equivalence, then what will they be like in the future?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline CRTbrain

• Contributor
« Reply #379 on: Yesterday at 04:30:27 pm »
Can anyone confirm the HD3 uses a 14-bit ADC, or is it really the same 10-bit ADC used in MXR/UXR locked into 14-bit high res mode?   Historically, Keysight has had more technology info about new ADCs and ICs in new scopes.  I don't see anything like this.   

The following users thanked this post: Someone, egonotto

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #380 on: Yesterday at 04:41:40 pm »
yes, confirmed it's a 14-bit

Online maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #381 on: Yesterday at 04:43:25 pm »
First noise measurement.
50R 500uV 1ms 1M point 100MS/s 1GHz

I looked briefly at the file, there are a couple of problems. First it has only 62500 points in it, not 1M.  Perhaps some decimation happens in saving. Also 100 MS/s rate is not sufficient to get accurate noise spectrum up to 1 GHz, so it becomes aliased. You can reduce the time/div until the sample rate is maximum or see what happens if one turns on the bandwidth limiting filter.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, egonotto

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #382 on: Yesterday at 04:52:07 pm »
Can anyone confirm the HD3 uses a 14-bit ADC, or is it really the same 10-bit ADC used in MXR/UXR locked into 14-bit high res mode?   Historically, Keysight has had more technology info about new ADCs and ICs in new scopes.  I don't see anything like this.    (Attachment Link)
It could make sense Keysight uses the 10 bit ADC from the UXR and oversamples to get more bits. 256Gs/s / 80 = 3.2Gs/s. Oversampling 80 times gives over 3 bits on top of the 10 bit. Make it 14 because many buildings in the US don't have a 13th floor either.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, skander36

Offline jusaca

• Supporter
« Reply #383 on: Yesterday at 05:04:42 pm »
I think the joke went right over your head, even though I put a clarification the next line...
Ohhh my bad, I did not get that line  :-+

The following users thanked this post: tszaboo

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #384 on: Yesterday at 05:59:33 pm »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Howardlong

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #385 on: Yesterday at 06:10:28 pm »

It seems that even that 40 MHz is an digital filter. Not an analog filter in actual front end. Actual order of lowpass filter is not specified.

Each analog input channel has a 40 MHz BW Limit option that lets you disable or
enable a bandwidth limit (using a digital filter). Limiting the channel bandwidth
lets you remove unwanted high frequency noise from the waveform and increase
the number of bits of vertical resolution.

Definitely any measurement out there that was specified with 20MHz will not come out the same on this scope.
HD3 has hardware bandwidth limits 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 350, 500 MHz, 1 GHz (selectable)
At the moment is a general setting for all channels, on a next FW upgrade will be available for each single channel.

Simone,
I am quoting User manual.

What you are saying is actual Global BW limit that is also a digital filter, specifically a Hires mode where BW limit is specified in a same way R&S does.

No analog BW limit filters of any kind are mentioned anywhere. I presume channels have 1GHz AA filters before ADC but that seems to be it..

If said digital filters per channel (that are coming) are made to mimic classic 20MHz filters by it's cutoff characteristics than it is fine. Apart from fact that signal that enters ADC  is full BW all the time, so on signals where there is significant amount of energy above 20MHz we cannot use filter to make ADCs life easier...

Best,
Siniša

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #386 on: Yesterday at 06:18:37 pm »
Dave can test what exactly the effect is of 40MHz channel filter and 5/10/20/50/100/200/350/500MHz/1GHz global filter. Requires only high BW noise source and FFT. Filter drop-off could be brick-wall or smooth :-//

Offline Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #387 on: Yesterday at 06:21:29 pm »
ok, so, this weird space next to the analog inputs. i initially thought it would be for the AWG and that the originally leaked photos were of a model without AWG, but since it's been confirmed the AWG is on the back, the space next to channel 4 has to be for something, right? i mean, it could be just a design choice, since not many of the front panel segments are aligned with much else, like the cavity for the channels not being aligned with the display at all or the control knobs, or it not being symmetrical, the lip at the bottom in particular not being equally wide on both sides is weird... anyway, they included MSO in the model number, so that together with the space there is making me wonder if they are planning an MDO model and that space there is for an SA input? 🤔🤔🤔
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:25:58 pm by Anthocyanina »

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #388 on: Yesterday at 06:31:41 pm »
ok, so, this weird space next to the analog inputs. i initially thought it would be for the AWG and that the originally leaked photos were of a model without AWG, but since it's been confirmed the AWG is on the back, the space next to channel 4 has to be for something, right? i mean, it could be just a design choice, since not many of the front panel segments are aligned with much else, like the cavity for the channels not being aligned with the display at all or the control knobs, or it not being symmetrical, the lip at the bottom in particular not being equally wide on both sides is weird... anyway, they included MSO in the model number, so that together with the space there is making me wonder if they are planning an MDO model and that space there is for an SA input? 🤔🤔🤔
Usually that was the space for external trigger.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #389 on: Yesterday at 06:32:31 pm »
or a fifth channel?  :o

Offline Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #390 on: Yesterday at 06:37:21 pm »
Usually that was the space for external trigger.

but that's also in the back!

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #391 on: Yesterday at 06:50:26 pm »
That space is obviously reserved for credit card reader - SW license activation would be way quicker :D

The following users thanked this post: fcb, egonotto, Zucca, jusaca, abeyer, Anthocyanina

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #392 on: Yesterday at 07:00:42 pm »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #393 on: Yesterday at 07:03:02 pm »
Does it support Ali-pay, Apple pay and Google pay? Tap your phone to have 10 minutes of protocol decoding.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tooki, KungFuJosh, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #394 on: Yesterday at 07:27:01 pm »
To be honest, I don't understand why people are so bothered by the free space. ;)
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #395 on: Yesterday at 07:37:21 pm »
I don't know if it's the lighting or the color, but the plastic looks cheap. And that space adds to it.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #396 on: Yesterday at 07:43:54 pm »
To be honest, I don't understand why people are so bothered by the free space. ;)
It does look like something is missing - very annoying for the wavegen to be on the back & not  here
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, egonotto, HighVoltage

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #397 on: Yesterday at 08:13:28 pm »
I don't know if it's the lighting or the color, but the plastic looks cheap. And that space adds to it.

True, but can you believe how far oscilloscopes have come?? It's only 2024, and already we have a $22,000 scope with a huge 10-inch screen! 🤯🤯🤯
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, edavid

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #398 on: Yesterday at 08:15:49 pm »
I have to admit that the look of the whole device is rather unfortunate.
And the fact that the screen is rather small, considering the price range, is even more irritating.
But perhaps there's a deeper meaning behind it that we can't yet grasp.
Oh yes, I just love the multiple measurement windows.
Even the small Rigol DHO800 has them, albeit not perfectly, but still.
I can only dream of something like that. ;)
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #399 on: Yesterday at 08:29:37 pm »
There's something unfinished about the front panel design.  Like it's been rushed out, or the tooling modified at the last minute or a major rejig of the PCB.

My guess is that it was a 6 or possibly 8 channel design that got it's wings clipped late on in development for some reason (thermal/cost/performance or they needed more physical width per channel) with the missing input channels would have extended all the way to the right.  The button's have then been spaced more to take out the spare real-estate.  The thick black bezel around the display also makes me think they had bigger screen initially.  When I look at the molding design and button layout of an MSOX4104G compared to this HD3 I wonder what the real story was behind the development.  Anyone torn one down yet?
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

The following users thanked this post: shabaz

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf