Author Topic: NEW Keysight HD3  (Read 34622 times)

xrunner, edavid, nctnico, EEVblog, bergenhut, mkissin, Martin72, CustomEngineerer, pdenisowski, RAQU_PL, 2N3055 and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Re: NEW Keysight HD3
« Reply #675 on: Today at 07:52:45 pm »
Hello,

I'm afraid there is a mistake in the Magnova data sheet. Example 1 V/div 50 Ohm 20 MHz. The data sheet says 2.19 mVrms and ENOB 11.5 bit.

11.5 * 6.02 dB + 1.76 dB = 70.99 dB = SINAD.

To achieve this, the signal would have to be around 8 Vrms (at 1 V/div). I suspect that Vrms has been confused with Vpp.

Best regards
egonotto

In case you find to have a monkey face (happened to me) after reading the above...
This will help and also this

Hello,

I don't understand what you mean. Do you think my calculation is wrong?

From Walt Kester:
"Signal-to-Noise-and-Distortion (SINAD, or S/(N + D)
is the ratio of the rms signal amplitude to the mean value of the root-sum-square (rss) of all other
spectral components, including harmonics, but excluding dc"
Read the R&S appnote Zucca linked to. You have to compensate for the full range of the ADC (peak-to-peak). So yes, I think your calculation is wrong  ;)

Hello,
It would be easier if you could tell me exactly where I made a mistake.

But okay, I'll take equation 4 from page 5 of the R&S paper.
ENOB = 0.5 log2(SINAD) - 0.5 log2(1.5) - log2(A/V)

Now we take the maximum possible amplitude and get A = V. So log2(A/V) = 0. Further, 0.5 log2(1.5) < 0.5 which we can approximately neglect.
So we have an approximation:
ENOB = 0.5 log2(SINAD)

According to equation 5, SINAD = PS/PN = (2.9 Vrms/ 0.00219 Vrms) * (2.9 Vrms/ 0.00219 Vrms). So we have
ENOB = log2(2.9 Vrms/ 0.00219 Vrms) = log2(1325) < log2(2048) = 11 < 11.5

11.5 bits is the specification in the data sheet and if you do the math with the formula in the R&S paper you get significantly less.

So where did I make a mistake?

Best regards
egonotto

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #676 on: Today at 08:20:15 pm »
See the calculation Andre77 showed in the Magnova thread. This one is correct. You need to go from the full dynamic range of the ADC which is 8Vpeak-peak in case of 1V/div. Your error is using the RMS value for full scale ADC range.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:22:18 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #677 on: Today at 08:33:57 pm »
See the calculation Andre77 showed in the Magnova thread. This one is correct. You need to go from the full dynamic range of the ADC which is 8Vpeak-peak in case of 1V/div. Your error is using the RMS value for full scale ADC range.

Andre's calculation is wrong.

SINAD (SNR if we have no distortion) is ratio of RMS full range and RMS noise level.

The IEEE has defined terminology and test methods for analog to digital converters in [1]. This includes the following definition of ENOB:
Equation 4    
ENOB=0.5log2(SINAD)-0.5log2(1.5) - 0.5log2(A/V)

The following definitions apply:
V : full-scale range of the device under test.
A : peak to peak amplitude of the sine wave fitted to the output.
SINAD : signal to noise and distortion ratio.

SINAD is defined as
Equation 5
SINAD = PS/PNAD

The following definitions apply:
PS : signal power; power in the FFT bin corresponding to the input frequency
PNAD : noise and distortion power; sum of powers in all other frequency bins excluding the 0 frequency bin, up to and including the bin at Nyquist frequency

Here it is noted that SNR and SINAD, as defined in [1], are ratios of ‘rms’ (root mean square) values and not a ratios of power values which is for example typical for communications engineering.

[1] IEEE Standard for Terminology and Test Methods for Analog-to-Digital
Converters, IEEE Standard 1241-2010

*** R&S
The Effective Number of Bits (ENOB) of my R&S Digital Oscilloscope
Technical Paper
« Last Edit: Today at 08:35:46 pm by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #678 on: Today at 08:36:13 pm »

Hello,

What don't you understand about SINAD = PS/PNAD? The power of the signal is not given by Vpp but by Vrms.

Best regards
egonotto

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #679 on: Today at 08:49:13 pm »
If we calculate with the values of the Magnova scope, we should perhaps also discuss the results in the Magnova thread instead of continuing on two tracks as we are doing at the moment.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, egonotto, 2N3055

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #680 on: Today at 10:36:16 pm »
You say there is no limit, so go ahead and write us a software implementation that does it. Others of us can calculate the computational task and know it is non-trivial and there are limits.
I don't have to, the authors of libraries like OpenGL have already done that. Or do you think upscaling and applying a simple moving average shader is "non-trivial"? There's no requirement that your DSP engine and your display engine share resource constraints!

There are no hard _limits_ to this, just market and product _choices_. Which was my point. That Keysight could have, but chose not to, use a higher-res screen even if the "intensive" calculations happen elsewhere and are simply rendered at screen-res. They could have even kept the hw rendering and have it composited with a nicer UI (straightforward to do on a Zynq with its GPU)
If it really is as simple as using openGL then why won't you show the world how easy it is to break through this barrier? Make some synthetic ADC data and benchmark how quickly you can turn that into a 2d histogram, show us that it doesn't matter what the resolution of the output is (your claim, we dont believe you). You'll become rich if you can replace all these expensive ASICs and FPGAs with some code on an existing embedded GPU.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #681 on: Today at 10:41:19 pm »

Hello,

What don't you understand about SINAD = PS/PNAD? The power of the signal is not given by Vpp but by Vrms.
I think the method Andre is using isn't correct after all as Wolfgang mentions that the ENOB is unlikely high in the Magnova thread. OTOH I don't think you can use RMS noise floor number and assume a non-existing signal as a reference either.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, Martin72

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #682 on: Today at 11:12:55 pm »
With the front end modules removed, where do the traces up and to the left of J302 go?

That is odd indeed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf