Author Topic: New Keysight Bench Multimeter - EDU34450A - 5.5 Digit, Colour  (Read 5022 times)

Offline ResistorRob

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Keysight Bench Multimeter - EDU34450A - 5.5 Digit, Colour
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2021, 03:46:59 am »
I was looking at purchasing one these today, because on the Keysight Live stream they said they are now on sale. The only place I could find was Mouser for $696 and it said out of stock.

Between that and their server crashing because ElectroBoom announced the contest it seems like kind of a failed launch.
If you don't know ElectroBoom is the "electronics" channel where the guy does stuff like stick his tongue in a light socket. So Keysight got flooded by a mob of people who were totally clueless what the gear was and asking in the chat questions like what the difference between the Keysight power supply and a PC power supply is. It's sad because the winners of this nice equipment will probably go mostly to people who have no idea what it even is.

Plus since it crashed the server half the people couldn't even enter the contest.

You would think they would make it easy to order with the hype of the launch. For example I can't imagine saying "Here's our new iPhone" it launches today... then not a single place is selling it.

Before Fungus calls me a Siglent fanboy again, let me say that I actually like Keysight and even bought a couple of their coffee mugs yesterday, lol
For my 10th Birthday I got a Fisher Price oscilloscope!

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2021, 04:37:52 am »
Lets wait for the hacks!

What is there to hack?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2021, 04:38:42 am »
To me the biggest drawback is no histogram or trend plotting.

Agreed, huge oversight.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2021, 04:46:00 am »
As discussed in this video:

This meter has a big issue in auto ranging mode with high 50Hz input noise, the input switching relay goes crazy in Fast and Medium modes with the probes just sitting on the bench.
And AFAIK there is no way to adjust the NPLC in it.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2021, 09:30:33 am »
With a lot of AC background autoranging can be a little tricky: the choice of range must take care of the peak values, not to saturate.  So the average DC reading alone is not good enough to decide which range is best. A cheap meter may not have extra means to also measure the peak values.  One can be lucky and peak causing clipping are at least detected, so autoranging with some try and error, but than no good / reliable way to detect if it is possible to switch to a lower range.Open probes is not a very relevant case.  Still it would be a bit anoying if the meter would frequently switch relais in this case - I faintly remember such a case with a constantly clicking meter (AFAIR this was a HP3478).

Not being able to fine adjust the integration time in detail is not such a big deal for a meter in normal use. For 1 PLC and more there is no big difference between a longer integration at a piece and averaging over multiple readings / digital filtering. Especially with a SD ADC this is essentially the same. DMMs with a multislope ADC usually do more than 10 PLC via averaging.
For just the number display and no graph there is little need for less than 1 PLC. It can still be useful for data send to an USB stick

If the main part of the lesson is to learn about the DMM function / intenals, it would be nice to really adjust the details, In this case one would however like even more detailed information and settings, e.g. also about the auto zero mode.  I don't think this meter would be right canditate this special task.

For normal use simple handling (no real need to read all the manual) would be way more important. There are usually more important parts to learn with hands on experiments. The meter should just work as a simple to use reliable tool.

Offline ResistorRob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2021, 05:44:22 pm »
As discussed in this video:

This meter has a big issue in auto ranging mode with high 50Hz input noise, the input switching relay goes crazy in Fast and Medium modes with the probes just sitting on the bench.
And AFAIK there is no way to adjust the NPLC in it.

Ok, you just scared me away from buying this, lol. Hello Instek color screen DMM!
For my 10th Birthday I got a Fisher Price oscilloscope!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf