Author Topic: New MicSig/EEVblog DP10007 HV Differential Probe  (Read 50735 times)

PartialDischarge and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
Re: New MicSig/EEVblog DP10007 HV Differential Probe
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2023, 06:43:55 pm »
I would like to begin the discussion with some reassurances.
All the actions I will propose will not modify the frequency response or the calibration of the probe in any way.
In any case, for those interested, at the end of the discussion I will illustrate step by step the complete calibration procedure of the device, also explaining in detail the reason (not exactly intuitive...) of the presence of two capacitive compensation trimmers for each channel...

As you know, the CMRR of a differential amplifier depends both on the performance of the operational amplifier in use and on the accuracy and symmetry of the polarization network external to it.
To simplify the analysis, let's assume we use an ideal op amp. Well, in this case the CMRR will depend only on the network external to it!
Using the classic differential structure schematized in fig. 1, as you know, two are the conditions/constraints to obtain an infinite cmrr:

Zi+ = Zi-    and     Zp+ = Zp-             (1)

if these conditions are both satisfied the cmrr will be infinite, at any frequency.

If we reduce the biasing network to simple resistors (and this probe uses only simple resistors...), the basic conditions to be respected will become:

Ri+ = Ri-    and     Rp+ = Rp-             (2)

where once again, Rp+ and Rp- represent the parallel of the resistors that relate to the non-inverting and inverting input respectively.

In other words, the above conditions summarize the "secret" to obtaining an infinite cmrr using a linear polarization network: to have total and absolute equality between the non-inverting and inverting amplification factors respectively. Just to fix the ideas with simple numbers, a 1% of asymmetry between the two channels degrades the CMRR to -40dB. To obtain a CMRR of -100dB the unbalance must be less than 10ppm!

What it happens in the real world?
In this case the CMRR will depend on the performance of the op-amp and on the frequency behavior of the polarization network which, even if made up of simple resistors, as the frequency increases will be affected by the effects of some parasitic parameters (e.g. traces and components inductance, mutual inductive and capacitive coupling between components, traces and components coupling with the pcb reference layers and so on...).

On many differential probes that make use of this technology (DP10007 included), the above balancing (2) is generally achieved with two complementary measures:
                  1) The use of precision resistors
                  2) The insertion of a calibration resistive trimmer whose purpose is to finely adjust the amplification factor of one of the two channels
(note that this last adjustment can be either internal to the circuit under examination or external to it!).

As it is easy to imagine, since there is no high frequency compensation (as we will see, for DP10007 this statement is not entirely true...), these two measures will guarantee optimal CMRR at low frequencies only (note that the amplification factor of the balancing channel is usually calibrated at 50Hz...)

But then, what happens to CMRR at high frequencies?
As already mentioned, at high frequencies this parameter is substantially governed by the multitude of parasitic parameters affecting the entire circuit.
Having said this, you will surely have understood how I intend to proceed!

We are very close to the conclusion of the whole story!

Soon I will propose two solutions: the first very simple and immediate, intended for those who want to improve just a little the disastrous high freq CMRR of the x100 range (which, as you will see, is fundamentally due to a design error by Micsig... ), the second, more complete, performing and flexible, aimed at global performance optimization.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, the Chris, ShaunT

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #151 on: September 29, 2023, 04:13:20 pm »
Question: considering that no one intervenes, is there anyone interested in the topic I’m covering regarding the CMRR ugrade?
If yes, please let me know and I continue, otherwise I leave...

I would hate to proceed just to favor Micsig

The following users thanked this post: Centmo, giovannirat, 2N3055, MegaVolt, dreamcat4, bdeianov, manupthehills, the Chris

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2023, 04:22:34 pm »
Question: considering that no one intervenes, is there anyone interested in the topic I’m covering regarding the CMRR ugrade?
If yes, please let me know and I continue, otherwise I leave...

I would hate to proceed just to favor Micsig

Absolutely! (however if you prefer not to inform Micsig without them 1st providing a due commission, I absolutely understand, and am very much happy to wait).

Offline manupthehills

• Contributor
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2023, 04:43:45 pm »
Very interested, please go ahead. Grazie

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2023, 08:18:47 pm »
Am interested as well - had a play around with my own micsig probes, there are certainly some issues with the design. I ended up reducing the lead length to tame the worst of the resonance in mine.

Offline Centmo

• Contributor
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2023, 11:25:19 pm »
I just bought two of these probes and am following your posts intently  :D

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2023, 10:28:33 pm »
Thanks for your kind feedback!

Getting straight to the point I can confirm that for frequencies lower than approximately 50MHz the anomalous degradation of the cmrr of this probe is mainly linked to the stray capacitances.
Let's analyze the CMRR behaviour in the case of an hypothetical imbalance between the two equivalent stray capacitances at the op-amp inputs (capacitances referred to the reference plane).
It can easily be demonstrated that for an ideal op-amp configured as in fig. 2, for C values of the order of a few pF and frequencies lower than 100MHz, the CMRR is very close to:

CMRR = 20 Log (ω Rp ΔC)         (3)

Where:    ω = 2 π f
      Rp is the parallel of the resistors that relate to the node
      ΔC is the capacitance misalignment between the two input nodes

Note that in our device (DP10007), Rp is equal to:

83 ohm   (x10   range)
               333 ohm   (x100 range)

From the above relationship (3), it can be noted that:

1) In an ideal op-amp the CMRR degrades with a slope of 20db/decade
      2) In our probe, for a given ΔC, the CMRR of the x100 range is 12dB worste than the x10 range

Some of you may have noticed that at 10MHz the CMRR difference between the two ranges is greater than 12dB (e.g. in my specific case it is: 39dB – 22dB = 17dB ).
The reason for this is very simple: the x100 range has a cap imbalance higher than that the x10 range!

In fact, by solving equation (3) with respect ΔC and substituting the respective CMRR values at 10MHz for both ranges it will be possible to have a preliminary estimate of the C misalignment:

In my specific case (CMRR = -39dB @ x10 range and -22dB @ x100 range), ΔC will be:

2.15 pF   x10 range
         3.80 pF   x100 range

Considering that in the real world we are dealing with a non-ideal op-amp, the pair of values just found will represent a slight overestimation of the actual ΔC values.
In practice, in our scenario, we will have that:

ΔC < 2.15 pF      for the x10 range
         ΔC < 3.80 pF      for the x100 range

The ΔC difference between the two ranges (about 1.65 pF), as already mentioned, is due to a colossal design error that I leave to you the pleasure to identify!!!
Without this error, the cmrr of the x100 range, between 1 and 10 MHz would have benefited by approximately 10dB!

Of course we will go further…
Instead of correcting the error we will proceed directly to the full compensation of both ranges, obtaining even better results!!

Happy WE and see u soon
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 09:49:37 pm by ExaLab »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Centmo, MegaVolt, dreamcat4, Martin72, bdeianov, the Chris

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2023, 01:24:00 pm »
As explained, the anomalous CMRR degradation is mainly due to the cap. imbalance between the two op-amp inputs.
Going into more detail, the positive input has a basic excess of capacitance most likely due to the intrinsic input impedance misalignment of the used op-amp (data sheet highlights a ΔC of about 1pF)

When the x100 range is selected, a furter contribution (of the same sign…) is added to this basic misalignment. This additional capacitance is due to the incorrect circuit positioning of the relevant calibration trimmer (Fig. 1a). As it is easy to see, this trimmer represents a clear element of asymmetry between the two input branches (positive and negative).
The mistake made by Micsig (one of many mistakes...) was to place this trimmer downstream of the 1Kohm input resistor instead of directly at the buffer output. By doing so, they accentuated the capacitance present on the positive input of the differential stage, increasing the unbalance and therefore drastically worsening the CMRR of the x100 range.
Never seen such serious errors!!!

The x100 range is therefore doubly penalized: a greater capacity imbalance on the one hand, a higher Rp value on the other.
As mentioned, we will not directly fix this error… We'll balance it (more effective choice!)

Two are the solutions that I propose (alternatives to each other):

Basic Upgrade

A simple and ready-to-use solution that can satisfy most of you. This version, in principle, does not even require recalibration of the probe (which however I highly recommend...)

Required components:

1.2 pF 1206 NPO Capacitor      (x1)
            1.5 pF 1206 NPO Capacitor      (x1)
            0 ohm  1206 Resistor              (x1)

Advanced Upgrade

This is the solution that guarantees the best results. Its hardware implementation is as simple as the basic version.
What makes it a little more complex are two aspects:
   1) To obtain the best results it requires a fairly complex calibration procedure
   2) The capacitive ceramic trimmers used may not be easily available

Required components:

Miniature SMD Ceramic Trimmer Capacitor
            Min. cap range  0.9 pF – 2.5 pF         (x2)
            6.8 pF 0805 NPO Capacitor               (x1)

Notes:

-  For the Advanced Upgrade, as trimmer capacitors I used the Murata TZC3 Series 1.4 – 3 pF (PN: TZC3Z030AA01).
   The minimum guaranteed C is 1.4 pF.  Measuring the component, all my samples exhibited a minimum capacitance of less than 0.90 pF

-  The Advanced Upgrade requires an additional hole in the metal screen, aligned with the position of VC6

-  The proposed solutions use two auxiliary balancing capacitors: Ca5 (VC5) acts on both ranges (x10 and x100), Ca6 (VC6) affects only the x100 range

-  To open the probe, gently lift both front labels (the main and the top one). By operating delicately they will not be damaged.
   If part of the adhesive layer is damaged, remove it completely. You can easily replace it with double-sided tape

Next time I will describe the simplified and the full calibration procedure.
Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 11:21:09 pm by ExaLab »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, oPossum, Centmo, MF-jockey, wolfy007, dreamcat4, Martin72, mawyatt

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2023, 03:01:02 pm »
Excellent work so far, very great. :-+
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2023, 05:38:38 pm »
Preliminary considerations regarding calibration:

1) This probe does not provide either offset adjustments (carried out via SW) or gain adjustments (the accuracy of which depends only on the precision of the resistors used)

2) As anticipated, each of the two branches (pos and neg) of the input attenuator stage is equipped with an high frequency compensation that acts near 15MHz allowing small gain adjustments (+/- 0.1dB max).
This is done splitting the low side RC in the parallel of two distinct RC bipoles with asymmetric capacitances. The zero of the full TF that would be obtained with the single bipole solution is thus converted into a pole at the same frequency plus two zeros, one to the right and one to the left of this one. Increasing or reducing the cap. difference between the two RC bipoles is possible to increase or reduce the HF gain (note that, in order to maintain the LF Compensation, the sum of these two capacitances must remain constant!)
As I’ll explain later, this HF compensation has several drawbacks.

3) Although the calibration should be carried out with the probe in its case (by removing the central label on the back of the case), for reasons of practicality and better access to all the adjustment trimmers we will do it removing the back cover.
Once successfully carried out calibration in these conditions, it will always be possible to refine the three main adjustments (LF Compensation, DC CMRR and AC CMRR) with the device in its case.

4) The procedure must be carried out with the metal shield rigorously fixed with the two screws provided. Pay attention to the fact that for frequencies higher than a few kHz, given the low capacities in use on the HV divider, the behavior of the input front-end is heavily influenced by the position of this shield and by any minimal variation in pressure on it. So, during the entire procedure, avoid to touch it!
Later I will propose how to fix it in a stable and definitive way.

5) DC CMRR adjustment requires the use of a high input voltage. If you do not have a generator with these characteristics (i.e. >100Vac), it is common practice to use the Live terminal of the mains voltage. I assume that whoever carries out this operation is adequately informed about the possible risks involved. All safety rules and guidelines for elevated voltage measurement should be followed!

Personally, to avoid damages to the equipment in the event of a fault or accidental short circuit I connect to the “Live” of the mains voltage using a 100KΩ 1W decoupling resistor, placed inside a common power plug.

6) AC/HF CMRR should be adjusted (or evaluated) using a sinusoidal source of at least 100Vpp. Not having amplitudes of this magnitude, all available resources on the oscilloscope must be used to remove all forms of noise extraneous to the stimulus signal. I recommend to trigger the scope on a dedicated channel connected to the signal generator and then use the most suitable method to remove the noise (averaging, BW limit, hires filters and so on...).

For the less experienced, I remind you that the CMRR of the probe can be easily calculated starting from the output/input measured ratio (in dBs) by adding 20dB for the x10 range or 40dB for the x100 range (e.g. if the probe range is x100 and the output/input measured ratio is -80dB, the CMRR will be: -80dB +40dB = -40dB).

7) Before to start with the procedure, connect the device to the supply and wait at least 15 minutes

Simplified Calibration Procedure

a) LF Compensation

1- Connect the DP10007 output to the oscilloscope

2- Select the x10 range

3- Connect the DP10007 inputs to a 10KHz / 20Vpp square-wave source.
      Red lead to the signal and black lead to the ground

4- Adjust the oscilloscope to properly display the waveform

5- Adjust VC4 in order to optimize the the square-wave response (act as if you were calibrating a common x10 passive oscilloscope probe)

6- Connect Red lead to the ground and black lead to the signal

7- Adjust VC2 for the best square-wave response

b) DC CMRR Adjustment

1- Connect the DP10007 output to the oscilloscope (make sure that the oscilloscope is regularly connected to ground)

2- Select the x10 range

3- Connect both the probe input leads (red and black) to a ground referred 50/60Hz / 200 – 240 Vrms sinusoidal source. To do this you can use the live terminal of the mains voltage
      (Warning: use all the necessary safety precautions above mentioned)

5- Adjust VR1 to minimize the amplitude of the displayed waveform

6- Select the x100 range

7- Adjust VR2 to minimize the amplitude of the displayed waveform

c) AC CMRR Adjustment (LF Channel Alignment)

2- Select the x10 range

3- Twist  the probe input leads and connect both (red and black) to a 20KHz,  sine wave signal source (minumum amplitude: 20 Vpp / 200 – 300 Vpp recommended).
      Make a direct ground connection between the signal source and the oscilloscope (this can simply be done with the probe used to monitor the signal of the source)

5- Adjust VC4 to minimize the amplitude of the displayed waveform

d) HF CMRR Adjustment (for Advanced Upgrade Only)

2- Select the x10 range

3- Twist  the probe input leads and connect both (red and black) to a 10MHz,  sine wave signal source (minumum amplitude: 10 Vpp / 20 Vpp or more recommended).
      Make a direct ground connection between the signal source and the oscilloscope

5- Adjust VC5 to minimize the amplitude of the displayed waveform

6- Select the x100 range

7- Adjust the oscilloscope to properly display the waveform

8- Adjust VC6 to minimize the amplitude of the displayed waveform

Clarifications / notes:

1) All the changes proposed so far have the fundamental aim of improving (even substantially) the CMRR for frequencies above 100 kHz.
      With reference to this parameter, my probe is now able to compete with products of the best manufacturers (-60dB @ 1MHz, -55dB @ 10MHz and -35dB @ 50MHz)

2) All the modifications proposed so far do not solve the serious problem of resonance that you may encounter at low frequencies (see the graph below)
      This anomaly, if present, involves the abrupt degradation of the CMRR for frequencies around 6700 Hz and is due to a completely different cause

3) Given the numerous necessary premises, I must postpone the Complete Calibration Procedure to my next post
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 07:19:12 pm by ExaLab »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Centmo, Swake, wolfy007, Martin72, mawyatt, manupthehills, the Chris

Offline Swake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2023, 03:12:26 pm »
Thank you for this elaborate explanation that I still have to read in detail.
At the moment I can't make out if this upgrade is something I 'need' or just 'want because I can'. Anyhow it would certainly make a small interesting winter-time project.

Would this apply to the DP10013 probes too? I guess these aren't all too different, but couldn't find a picture of the internals to compare.
When it fits stop using the hammer

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2023, 08:22:31 am »
So is there also a thread yet for the new Micsig MDP series diff probes too? Since those are also supposed to have lower CMRR (and other things).

But critically those new Micsig MDP series are now cheaper than the other more expensive older diff probe that Dave has kept on selling on his eevblog store. And perhaps it sits at a price somewhere in between?

Unless this is the MDP thread?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hv-differential-probe-versus-isolation-transformer/

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2023, 06:20:01 pm »
The procedure I am going to illustrate aims to harmonize the high frequency gain (from MHz upwards) of the two input channels. This will allow us to further optimize the CMRR compared to the results obtained from the Simplified Calibration (the improvement @10MHz could be over 10dB!!)
As already mentioned, this is achieved by altering the imbalance of the pair of zeros (referred to the TF of the input stage) of one channel relative to the other.

This step should be an integral part of the "Low Frequency Compensation" (generally called "Short Term" and "Long Term" Compensation) of each channel as it aims to align the zero of the Input Front End with the dominant pole of the following stage. For various reasons related to design shortcomings (which I will not address for the sake of brevity...), for our unit this is not possible.

However, this does not prevent us from using a "Preset and Evaluate" approach (simple, effective even if it is a little time consuming…). The aim is to acquire the trend of the CMRR as a function of the position of VC4 and then choose the best compromise. We will test a few different configurations for the HF frequency response of the positive channel and then choose the one that offers the best results in terms of HF CMRR.

In practice, we will recalibrate the probe for various positions of the VC4 trimmer while tabulating the CMRR at the frequencies of greatest interest (100KHz, 1MHz and 10MHz) (see picture below).
The procedure proposed involves angular steps of approximately 20 degrees counterclockwise. Naturally, if at the first step (+20 degrees) the average CMRR were to significantly worsen compared to the starting configuration (0 degrees), instead of continuing with positive angles (+40, +60 etc.) it will be necessary to switch to negative angles (-20, -40 etc.).
Before starting with the procedure, I remind you again that the angles I am referring to are relative to the initial position of VC4 and that this reference position changes from one unit to another.
I also remind you that the absolute zero of all the four capacitive trimmers coincides with the notch arranged horizontally and that the absolute rotation limits are worth +/- 90 degrees. Therefore, if during the Full Calibration Procedure VC4 (or VC3) reaches these absolute limits (i.e vertical notch of the trimmer) the evaluation angle of VC4 must stop here.
If the CMRR trend is positive but you have reached the above limit it will always be possible to continue with the analysis by unbalancing (with angles opposite to those adopted for VC4) the VC2 trimmer. This remote event requires a new LF compensation and we will analyze it separately (if necessary...).

The picture below ghraphs a typical behaviour of the CMRRs as function of the VC4 relative angle.

Full Calibration Procedure

a) Simplified Calibration Procedure

Perform the “Simplified Calibration Procedure”

b) Annotation of the VC4 Position

Annotate the exact VC4 position and give it a ID name (e.g.   0˚)
       Even if we will only act on VC3 and VC4, to be safe, take a photo of the initial position of all the four capacitive trimmers

c) CMRR Evaluation

1- Make sure that the x10 range is selected
   2- Measure the CMRR  @ 100kHz, 1MHz and 10MHz
   3- Note these three values next to the actual position of VC4
   4- If the actual position of VC4 is 80˚skip to point h)

d) Changing the position of VC4

1- Rotate VC4 counterclockwise approximately 20 degrees
   2- Give a ID name to this new VC4 position (e.g. 20˚, 40˚ etc)

e) AC CMRR Adjustment

1- Maintain the x10 range
   2- Twist  the probe input leads and connect both (red and black) to a 20KHz,  sine wave signal source (minumum amplitude: 20 Vpp / 200 – 300 Vpp recommended).
       Make a direct ground connection between the signal source and the oscilloscope (this can simply be done with the probe used to monitor the signal of the source).

3- Adjust the oscilloscope to properly display the waveform (note that due to the strong channel decompensation, the signal amplitude in this step will be quite high)

4- Rotate VC3 until the amplitude of the displayed waveform is minimized (adjust the oscilloscope gain accordingly). Note that the direction of rotation of VC3 is always
       opposite to that of VC4 at step d)!

f) HF CMRR Adjustment (for Advanced Upgrade Only)

1- Perform the HF CMRR Adjustment limited to the x10 range (VC5 adjustment only)
       For details please refer to the step d) of the “Simplified Calibration Procedure”

g) Resume the procedure from point c)

h) Choice and setting of the optimal position of VC4

1- Choose the optimal angle of VC4 based on the following criteria: aim for the best CMRR @ 1MHz and 10MHz values that do not excessively penalize the CMRR @ 100KHz.
       As can be seen from the graph below (for which the optimal angle is about 40˚…), in this position the three acquired CMRR values are equally spaced by 8 -10 dB.
       Note that the optimal angle chosen could also be an intermediate value between those tested (e.g. 30˚) and as already anticipated, if the trend of the CMRR for positive
       angles is not favorable, the procedure will also have to be extended to the negative angles of VC4.

2- Set the optimal and final position of VC4

i) AC and HF CMRR adjustment

Perform the above step e) (AC CMRR adj) and step f) (HF CMRR adj) for the final position of VC4

l) x100 Range HF CMRR Adjustment (for Advanced Upgrade Only)

Perform the HF CMRR Adjustment limited to the x100 range (VC6 adjustment only)
       For details please refer to the step d) of the “Simplified Calibration Procedure”

OK, my discussion ends here!! I hope it has been useful to you in improving the CMRR of this differential probe. If yes, with reference to HF CMRR only, you will now have a performant differential probe!
Let me know!

Of course, there remain many other outstanding problems that for reasons of time (and professional ethics..) I cannot address.

Among these I remember only a few:

1) The actual bandwidth of the “pure probe” limited to approximately 45MHz
  2) The obvious discrepancy between the advertised bandwidth (100MHz) and a pair of non-removable input cables over 45cm long
  3) The abrupt degradation of CMRR (worse than -40dB) at frequencies close to 6700Hz
  4) The presence of traces (  ̴ 0.20mVpp) of residual noise at 24KHz at the output
  5) The absence in the user manual of any reference related to the derating curve for the input voltage (this lack speaks for itself!!)

For these and many other reasons, not least the terrible HF CMRR (in the absence of the changes I proposed…), at the moment, if you are interested in purchasing a differential probe I strongly suggest evaluating other manufacturers. Naturally, if in the near future Micsig were to propose some new product and after in-depth testing I should verify its effectiveness, I’ll have no problem enhancing its characteristics…

Don't be attracted by the low price of a product if it is not able to meet your expectations and above all, be wary of all those reviews characterized by superficiality and evident lack of professionalism of the reviewer.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 11:43:12 pm by ExaLab »

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2023, 09:28:30 am »
Thanks ExaLab, beyond awesome effort!  :clap:

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2023, 10:00:32 am »
I think it's awesome too!!  :-+

And not wanting to take away 0 from that but, I really think we need to compare the mod'ed 007 to an out-of-the-box newer MDP series lineup right? (ofc for more $$ expense, but less efforts).

Because that is like a cost-reduced optical probe (but as a much more conventional cheaper diff probe, and without the optical bit). However maybe people here are not so excited about the MDP? But they seem pretty affordable really.

Offline manupthehills

• Contributor
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2023, 10:30:33 pm »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline marcoe87

« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2023, 08:07:39 am »
Thanks ExaLab for the great work.
I am an owner of a DP10007 probe and I would be interested in fixing also the CMRR degradation effect around 7 kHz.

Could you share at least some hint on how to address it? Is it related to input wires?  :popcorn:

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2023, 07:39:59 pm »

Basic Upgrade

A simple and ready-to-use solution that can satisfy most of you. This version, in principle, does not even require recalibration of the probe (which however I highly recommend...)

Required components:

1.2 pF 1206 NPO Capacitor      (x1)
            1.5 pF 1206 NPO Capacitor      (x1)
            0 ohm  1206 Resistor              (x1)

Thanks for the information on improving this flawed DP10007. We used the simpler approach and used 0805 COG capacitors, as we had these available.

Noted that the cover has flanges on the mounting posts that apparently are to hold the PCB in place when tighten down, these flanges might hit the added components if these are located near the PCB edge by the  mounting post cut out. By positioning the added components (like the 1.2pF cap) between the main XY axis of the case, say ~45 degrees, then the post flanges are avoided. One could also cut the post flange for clearance.

Anyway, thanks for the info on improving these DP10007s, we noted an improvement as you've shown.

Edit: BTW if your scope has an FFT, this is a good way to set minimum values in the presence of large noise signals. Also, a old Tek 577 can serve as the high voltage low frequency source, just tap off the Collector Test Terminal.

Best,
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 12:24:55 am by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2024, 10:51:59 am »
Hello,
Sorry to dig up this topic, I have posted into it in 2022, then I have gave up the idea to buy this DP10007 (and other diff. probes).

For 2024: again I'm looking forward to buying a Differential probe, and I don't know if they have fixed the CMRR problem since ?
Maybe someone has bought a new one recently ?

I saw that a new model has come up (MDP700) but I don't like the big BNC part, to use on a portable DSO.
The output cable are really short.
And also, I think the "UI" is not as good as the DP series (leds seem to be very small to see them, and the button seem not to be as great).

So, thanks for any information/advice someone can give me (even on other brands)  :-+
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 01:12:07 pm by ceut »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2024, 11:10:09 pm »
Hello,
Sorry to dig up this topic, I have posted into it in 2022, then I have gave up the idea to buy this DP10007 (and other diff. probes).

For 2024: again I'm looking forward to buying a Differential probe, and I don't know if they have fixed the CMRR problem since ?
Maybe someone has bought a new one recently ?

I saw that a new model has come up (MDP700) but I don't like the big BNC part, to use on a portable DSO.
The output cable are really short.
And also, I think the "UI" is not as good as the DP series (leds seem to be very small to see them, and the button seem not to be as great).

So, thanks for any information/advice someone can give me (even on other brands)  :-+

Micsig just sent me an MDP series probe. Haven't tried it yet. I think they just gave up on the DP series.

The following users thanked this post: ceut, Detlev

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2024, 09:07:54 am »
Micsig just sent me an MDP series probe. Haven't tried it yet. I think they just gave up on the DP series.

Hello Dave  :)
Great to read that !
Do you think you could make a review on it, with a comparison with the DP10007 ?
Also a teardown would be great 8)

I have checked the Micsig slow-website (https://www.micsig.com/MDP), and you have totally right  :-+

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Martin72

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2024, 02:13:04 pm »
Do you think you could make a review on it, with a comparison with the DP10007 ?

+1

"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2024, 03:28:14 pm »
So I ended up with buying the new MDP700 I have just received yesterday.

A little review of things that was not told anywhere.

I have made about the same mod/add with 850mAh battery powered and the MH-CD42 module, like my Micsig CP2100B current probe (here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/micsig-current-probe-cp2100b-tests-and-comparing/msg5470294/#msg5470294 )

The MDP700 draw about 125mA (tested with the great UM34 from RD-Tech :) )

My unit is from the 05/24 so 15 days old probe ;D

It is a great probe, but as I was thinking previously: I find too big the BNC module, and the button are not super easy to manipulate  :-\

Also, the packaging is not the one you could see on all Youtube review:
=>It is a fully plastic case ! Exactly the same as for my CP2100B  8)
And Micsig has added 2x 30cm wire extension  :-+
It seems to be the final version, whereas the youtubers have received a "beta" package.

All cables are silicon, the "grip" tweezer(sorry don't know if it is the good word?)  is very high quality, seems better than my genuine Hirschmann one.
And the flexible part is also silicon.

Only the alligator clips seem not to be super great quality: even the plastic seems cheap  ???

I have also added in the case the 2 best quality extensions I have found on Aliexpress (J20009 Pro) to use banana plug or anything else on the probe.

PSU included 5V/1A, I will not use it so I have not checked its stability with my UM34+LD35 (RD-Tech).

Some photos as always:

Hope it will be usefull for some of you :)

Edit: I have added a screenshot of the 230V voltage line of my little apartment, it is the first time I see its real waveform  ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 03:36:27 pm by ceut »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, DaneLaw, Martin72

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2024, 11:17:40 pm »
I have checked the Micsig slow-website (https://www.micsig.com/MDP), and you have totally right  :-+

Ah, so that's confirmed, discontinued.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2024, 11:18:05 pm »
+1

Yep, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The following users thanked this post: ceut, nctnico, TomKatt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf