Author Topic: New Brymen BM2257 Multimeter  (Read 915 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
New Brymen BM2257 Multimeter
« on: Yesterday at 06:43:24 am »
Just found out about this through a Youtube comment.
Basically a BM235 with AutoHold, Bargraph, and serial coms.
US$127

http://www.brymen.com/PD02BM2250_2257.html
http://www.brymen.com/images/ProductsList/BM2250_List/BM2250-manual-Print1-r3.pdf
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:47:51 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, JohanH, Fungus

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: New Brymen BM2257 Multimeter
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:51:55 am »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:37:23 am »
That is one of the most featured (and well rounded) compact meter I have seen. It corrects three weaknesses of its cousin BM257: the autohold, the higher capacitance measurement of 10mF and a decent diode voltage measurement of 3V. The logic level takes a hit, at 200k @ 3V (the other is 500kHz @ 3V and 1MHz @ 5V).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:39:14 am »
The four-function Ohms/Diode/Continuity/Capacitance range position is a bit of a turn off.  :o

Would it have killed them to add an extra click on the dial?

Offline Furna

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:35:50 pm »
It looks very promising but if it doesn't have a blue holster I won't buy it.  :-DD
Seriously, I was thinking about a low cost and compact meter while also "sponsor" somehow EEVblog so I was evaluating the blue BM235.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:50:28 am »
It looks very promising but if it doesn't have a blue holster I won't buy it.  :-DD
Seriously, I was thinking about a low cost and compact meter while also "sponsor" somehow EEVblog so I was evaluating the blue BM235.

I've emailed Brymen...

Offline ArdWar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:00:38 am »
The four-function Ohms/Diode/Continuity/Capacitance range position is a bit of a turn off.  :o

Would it have killed them to add an extra click on the dial?

For double opposite contact you can't have more than 180° turn, and they probably don't want to change the already running 8-notch mold that they also use for many other models.

Offline J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:30:48 am »
I wouldn't compare the BM225x models to the BM23x series, would be the BM25x series instead.  So BM251 -> BM2251 and BM257 -> BM2257.
On the BM25x they placed the EF function on the Hold button, which in hindsight was a strange choice.  New models now have EF on the AC V selector position instead along with VFD, allowing for the logical return of AutoHold.
"Multitalented and Compact; Loaded with Nice Up-to-date Features!"
The mV logic level Hz function is found on many of their other models.  So nothing much new about that either.

There are also the new BM280xCSE models:
"This 2800 CSE meter series is a safety Category and EMI Shielding Enhanced (CSE)
version of our popular 800 practical meter series. Apart from the added up-to-date
features and improvements in safety ratings, it is also equipped with EMI shielding on
both sides of the circuitry module to improve measurement stability under harsh
electromagnetic interferences, especially in the electrical and automotive industries."

Offline Furna

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:46:15 am »
... and due to the fact that last March I bought a BM869s you can expect soon a BM8869s ...
I am joiking but I'd not be too much surprised  >:(

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: Today at 07:54:44 am »
I've emailed Brymen...

I have the FOB price, it's not much more than the BM235...
Hmm, what to do.
Do I offer yet another meter, (with the new pocket one coming, that would be 5 meters), or do I phase out the BM235 and replace it with this at a slightly higher price?

Online electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:12:59 am »
I looked at BM2257 specs carefully - it is very similar and slightly better than BM235 in some aspects, but not in other aspects. Very similar meter overall, not sure if it worth extra price over BM235.
Definitely do not offer both at once, as these models are very similar. Whether to replace or not, not sure, probably not for the same reasons.

Offline J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 08:14:26 am »
... and due to the fact that last March I bought a BM869s you can expect soon a BM8869s ...
I am joiking but I'd not be too much surprised  >:(
A BM2869s...  There are some things they could improve slightly...

I have the FOB price, it's not much more than the BM235...
Hmm, what to do.
Do I offer yet another meter, (with the new pocket one coming, that would be 5 meters), or do I phase out the BM235 and replace it with this at a slightly higher price?
So are they willing to let you brand the BM2257 as-is?  Or would you drop a feature or two and get something like a BM2255?
Seems like you'd have to insist on the blue-adjacent paper white backlight, though.  Amber would clash with blue.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: Today at 08:35:50 am »
I looked at BM2257 specs carefully - it is very similar and slightly better than BM235 in some aspects, but not in other aspects. Very similar meter overall, not sure if it worth extra price over BM235.

Accuracy specs aren't really that important in this lecel of meter, they are all basically the same.
In this case the BM2257 has AutoHold and bargraph like the BM786, plus serial.
I could still offer the BM235 at a permanent discount and make less margin on it for those who are watching every dollar.

Offline J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: Today at 08:38:37 am »
Definitely do not offer both at once, as these models are very similar. Whether to replace or not, not sure, probably not for the same reasons.
Comparing the features and specs of the BM235, BM257s and BM2257 it seems a lot of the BM2257 specs follow the BM235 while the physical layout is identical to the BM257s (but different from the BM235).  Also, I see that the BM257s has the full blown AutoCheck feature where it automatically switches between "LoZ DCV, LoZ ACV & OHMS" while the BM235 and BM2257 are just AutoV.

Also the BM2257 has the IR interface (as does the BM25x series).

My opinion on these lower-end DMMs is that features are slightly more important than specs.  The last digit is going to be +/- 2d or +/- 4d on top of the percent-of-reading spec.

Offline Furna

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: Today at 10:45:29 am »
Sure BM2869s ... I am not good at understanding how companies name their products series over the years.
The only thing that comes to my mind missing on BM869s is the duty cycle for AC ... I really do not miss it; my BM869s sits on the bench and rarely touches AC.
Sure WiFi ... but I am not a fun of WiFi. I am still over USB for DMMs.

Accuracy specs aren't really that important in this lecel of meter, they are all basically the same.
I could still offer the BM235 at a permanent discount and make less margin on it for those who are watching every dollar.

I agree, accuracy IMHO is not a pillar for a small/cheap DMM ... I want something that I can bring easily with me and has as much features as possible.
The feature of BM2257 I most appreciate is the bar-graph; Auto-hold convenient ... serial just a plus.

I like the fact that EEVblog shop has only a few DMMs; I feel like an Electronic Engineer already made a selection on my behalf so I do not have to go through hundreds f pages trying to avoid stuff for electricians, automotive etc.
For this reason I would like to see BM235 removed from the shop ... but I see Dave's point.
So all in all he is right IMO; BM235 discounted and BM2257 offered as his successor.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: Today at 12:26:07 pm »
Sure BM2869s ... I am not good at understanding how companies name their products series over the years.

My new pocket meter is the 1980s  ;D

I agree, accuracy IMHO is not a pillar for a small/cheap DMM ... I want something that I can bring easily with me and has as much features as possible.
The feature of BM2257 I most appreciate is the bar-graph; Auto-hold convenient ... serial just a plus.

I like the fact that EEVblog shop has only a few DMMs; I feel like an Electronic Engineer already made a selection on my behalf so I do not have to go through hundreds f pages trying to avoid stuff for electricians, automotive etc.
For this reason I would like to see BM235 removed from the shop ... but I see Dave's point.
So all in all he is right IMO; BM235 discounted and BM2257 offered as his successor.

I don't think the BM2257 will work unless I permanately discount the BM235
Brymen are sending me a sample mid Sept. And they said they can do the same blue holster and rebranding without changing the model number.
FYI, Brymen won't let me just pick any model number as it requires going through the UL certification again.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: Today at 12:30:53 pm »

So much so that I didn't even mention accuracy in my Beginner meter video I just released.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:49:06 pm »
The only thing that comes to my mind missing on BM869s is the duty cycle for AC ... I really do not miss it; my BM869s sits on the bench and rarely touches AC.
Sure WiFi ... but I am not a fun of WiFi. I am still over USB for DMMs.

I can tell you what could be done for new gen 869:

- Remembering preferences. I prefer meter to be quiet unless in continuity mode. You can do that, but EVERY single time you power it on. Just remember setup preferences.
- AC coupling in AC mV mode.  That is not a big deal, but a chance to make it better when redesigning.
- Auto Hold. That is not important to me, but lot's of people
- Diode beep ( a lá Fluke) is also something a lot's of people asked for.

For me literally remembering preferences is only annoying thing about the meter. That shows you how good it is.

Offline 0Anonym

« Reply #18 on: Today at 12:52:19 pm »
I have looked into getting a Quality meter over the past few Weeks and my choices where the BM235, the 257s and the 2257. I didn’t quite understand why I couldn’t find anything about the BM2257, but I didn’t know at the time that it was so new.
That means I will have to wait a bit longer until the new EEVBlog edition comes out.

Offline Furna

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: Today at 01:45:08 pm »
I can tell you what could be done for new gen 869:

- Remembering preferences. I prefer meter to be quiet unless in continuity mode. You can do that, but EVERY single time you power it on. Just remember setup preferences.

I see your point ... indeed it already remembers every function you set.

- AC coupling in AC mV mode.  That is not a big deal, but a chance to make it better when redesigning.
- Auto Hold. That is not important to me, but lot's of people
- Diode beep ( a lá Fluke) is also something a lot's of people asked for.

Never had a Fluke so I not missing that feature  :)

For me literally remembering preferences is only annoying thing about the meter. That shows you how good it is.

Agree

Offline Furna

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: Today at 02:03:09 pm »

My new pocket meter is the 1980s  ;D

I am not so lucky; EE passion went Lo&Hi, moved apartment/house multiple times across different continents.
The oldest meter I have is the MAS-345; I date it back to 2005-2006 but not sure.

I don't think the BM2257 will work unless I permanately discount the BM235
Brymen are sending me a sample mid Sept. And they said they can do the same blue holster and rebranding without changing the model number.
FYI, Brymen won't let me just pick any model number as it requires going through the UL certification again.

OK I took a note: part 2 of the Beginner meter video is scheduled for the end of last week of Sept and will feature a blue BM2257  :popcorn:

BTW I see no reason why you might want to change the model number

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: Today at 02:14:22 pm »
Note the backlight time listed in the manual- 16 minutes. I was happy when I discovered my 857s had 256 seconds, which is better than others but sometimes still not long enough (I do like my 857s).

Offline RFDx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: Today at 03:22:44 pm »
What's the display backlight colour? On the EU website it shows a paper white backlight but in the datasheet it's amber.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:25:14 pm »
Where it has a big advantage over BM235 is the computer connection. I often find it useful to link a meter to a computer and record data.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: Today at 05:29:20 pm »
Currently, the BM2257 is out of stock.
I received a mail from Brymen (Adrian Wieczorkowski) stating that it will be in stock again around 27 September.
Then you can order it from www.brymen.eu.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf