Author Topic: New 2GHz touchscreen scope from Tek, June 6th  (Read 228435 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: New 2GHz touchscreen scope from Tek, June 6th
« Reply #225 on: June 04, 2017, 02:16:52 pm »
Frenky posted this back on page 2:

Looks very similar to the existing VPI interface, but note the extra slots on the bottom either side. New probes with those protrusions wouldn't plug into existing VPI scopes. Or at least the analog ones wouldn't. Maybe they have a new digital version of the VPI?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 02:25:23 pm by EEVblog »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
New 2GHz touchscreen scope from Tek, June 6th
« Reply #226 on: June 04, 2017, 04:20:18 pm »

Here's my illustration for what the new scope will look like:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #227 on: June 04, 2017, 05:00:10 pm »

:clap:

The knobs. Oh, the knobs.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #228 on: June 04, 2017, 05:43:26 pm »

LOL but that screen is a damn sight too small for that many traces!  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: June 04, 2017, 06:03:34 pm »
But some people do insist on having a separate vertical knob for each channel....

How big would a scope need to be to do that and have the requisite screen real estate?

So it looks like Tek has gone the route of color coded LED lighted knobs and buttons just like the new R&S scopes.  Were R&S the first to do that or has it been done by someone else?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2017, 06:05:02 pm »
But some people do insist on having a separate vertical knob for each channel....

How big would a scope need to be to do that and have the requisite screen real estate?

So it looks like Tek has gone the route of color coded LED lighted knobs and buttons just like the new R&S scopes.  Were R&S the first to do that or has it been done by someone else?
Lecroy... decades ago. Edit: DDA-260 for example
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:21:06 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #231 on: June 04, 2017, 06:08:23 pm »

I guess it fits into a standard 30 inch rack, lol.  :-DD
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2017, 06:23:34 pm »

Lecroy... decades ago.

Thanks, that's interesting.  I guess now that the idea can be combined with a touch screen, it adds a whole new dimension. I understand where the concern about not having a separate vertical control for each channel comes from. I had the same concern. But at least for me I've found with my RTB 2004 the combo of color coded LEDs and touch screen to work just fine.

If the trend is bigger screens and more channels, I don't see a better option.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #233 on: June 04, 2017, 06:36:46 pm »
With shared vertical controls it is much easier to also use the vertical controls to control math, decode and reference channels. On scopes with dedicated controls per channel controlling the math and reference channels is often much harder than it should be.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #234 on: June 04, 2017, 06:46:13 pm »
With shared vertical controls it is much easier to also use the vertical controls to control math, decode and reference channels. On scopes with dedicated controls per channel controlling the math and reference channels is often much harder than it should be.

Bah -- that argument just proves that you need more dedicated knobs, for the math and reference channels too!  ;)

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2017, 07:08:25 pm »

don't know why this reminds me of a V8.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #236 on: June 04, 2017, 07:18:10 pm »
Bah -- that argument just proves that you need more dedicated knobs, for the math and reference channels too!  ;)
IMHO there will be too many knobs at some point. Math + reference channels can easely add up to 6 extra traces. Using the same knob to control the vertical position of traces has it's advantages.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #237 on: June 04, 2017, 07:22:56 pm »
IMHO there will be too many knobs at some point. Math + reference channels can easely add up to 6 extra traces. Using the same knob to control the vertical position of traces has it's advantages.

Sure; I was not serious. Hence the  ";)".

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #238 on: June 04, 2017, 08:30:02 pm »

If it's a touch screen you just drag the channels around, no vertical knobs needed.  :-//

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #239 on: June 04, 2017, 08:30:59 pm »

don't know why this reminds me of a V8.

Na, more like a "Straight Eight"

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:33:00 pm by mtdoc »

The following users thanked this post: diyaudio

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #240 on: June 04, 2017, 08:35:05 pm »

If it's a touch screen you just drag the channels around, no vertical knobs needed.  :-//

Not if the trace is off the screen!
And you still need a "vertical knob" for vertical resolution control. Controlling that with pinch gestures is very imprecise.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2017, 08:51:20 pm »

And you still need a "vertical knob" for vertical resolution control. Controlling that with pinch gestures is very imprecise.
That can be made into a button on the screen as well. You should really try MicSig's tablet scopes to experience you can do without knobs on a scope which has a touch screen.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2017, 09:07:58 pm »

That can be made into a button on the screen as well. You should really try MicSig's tablet scopes to experience you can do without knobs on a scope which has a touch screen.

That's a good point, although I'm not convinced you can make a touch interface that gives the same amount of precise control for vertical resolution. You need some tactile feedback for that.  For example, using the built in web interface on the RTB2004, I find the "virtual knob" for vertical resolution control pretty imprecise.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2017, 09:28:00 pm »

You're just not imagining.

If it's off screen you can have a marker arrow at top/bottom to show where it is. Touch the arrow to grab the trace and bring it back on screen.

Says who? If it's done well and snaps to the usual voltage ranges then it'll work perfectly.

Want fine control? Double-tap it to bring up a numeric keypad and circular control knob.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2017, 10:29:43 pm »

Says who?
Says me.  :box:  It's just an opinion of course (shared by others though) YMMV. 
Want fine control? Double-tap it to bring up a numeric keypad and circular control knob.

Well yeah - a numeric keypad is always an option.  A very slow one.

If you're gonna argue that there's no advantage at all to at least a few physical knobs then you are veering into USB scope territory.  Paging Mr. Wolf....

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #245 on: June 04, 2017, 10:42:18 pm »
Yes - I really like the way the RTB has made all vertical trace functions work consistently - moving digital channels around on the Keysight can be a real fiddle.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2017, 01:11:52 am »
Only 1 day to go to judgement day. TKO for Tek ?  :box:

Offline modrobert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2017, 02:35:41 am »

I want this scope.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2017, 03:13:42 am »
I want this scope.

Buy two of these and put them side by side.  As a bonus, you get two timebases and DSO capability.

The following users thanked this post: modrobert

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2017, 05:25:22 am »
I want this scope.

Buy two of these and put them side by side.  As a bonus, you get two timebases and DSO capability.

You beat me to it ! Available on ebay right now ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf