Author Topic: New 2GHz touchscreen scope from Tek, June 6th  (Read 228550 times)

Offline rf-design

• Regular Contributor
Re: New 2GHz touchscreen scope from Tek, June 6th
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2017, 06:35:56 pm »
Hi Brian,

I got some whisper that your company surprise us with

6x2GHz, 6.5GS/s
500uV/DIV-1V/DIV at 50Ohm and 500uV/DIV-20V/DIV at 1MOhm
12Bit Resolution
15.4 Touch
6MSample/CH
500k Update

What ENOB including the frontend do you expect from your colleges?

BR
Reiner
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:53:44 pm by rf-design »

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2017, 06:45:09 pm »
32ch MSO

but.. why 32 channels? (I mean, applications?)
It is way off topic - but I was actually looking to see if I could buy a cheap 32 channel logic analyser with lots of memory to use as a data store for the output from linear devices A2D development boards such as the DC2222A-B
http://www.linear.com/solutions/7366

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2017, 06:49:17 pm »
I would really like to see Tek deliver an awesome scope. The more competition the better for us end consumers. Should be interesting to see what the community thinks of this new scope.. Also I miss Wuerstchenhund..
2 GHz bandwidth is what got my attention. None of this 200MHz rubbish !!
you are not far from the luck! its available now used... "was" the new era that every other scopes will be measured upon, and cheap too @ $19K including delivery... minus touchscreen, minus warranty... ;) http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/TEKTRONIX-MSO5204-4-16-CH-DIGITAL-2GHz-Mixed-Signal-Oscilloscope-/222512301056?hash=item33cec44400:g:e~sAAOSwx6pYoyiY
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2017, 06:51:25 pm »
Well let s see what is coming soon from tektronix on the market . Other manufacturer did some steps forward and I hope Tektronix will go ahead on the same way .

Offline BrianH_Tektronix

• Contributor
  • BSEE | Tek Product Marketing Manager
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2017, 07:06:04 pm »
Brian - Are there any plans for faster USB VNA's? >12Ghz?

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Sorry I don't know, and if I did, they wouldn't let me talk about our roadmaps.

Why haven't you guys sent anything to Dave the last 4 years, that's my burning question, are you guys upset about the MDO3000 review ?  :popcorn:

We absolutely appreciate the review Dave conducted on the MDO3000 and see great value in his reviews. We also value a variety of bloggers on the web and like to mix it up on who we send new products too.
Product Marketing Manager & NPI planner, Tektronix Low Profile Scopes & Digitizers

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2017, 07:19:15 pm »
2GHz bandwidth?

That's going to be expensive.

As usual, my country is on the list of "can not enter".

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2017, 07:23:43 pm »
2GHz bandwidth?

As will the probes, all six of them....
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2017, 07:59:55 pm »
Maybe Tektronix goes for ultra superb "promo" release as R&S  :-DD

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2017, 08:46:23 pm »
2GHz bandwidth?

Probably not.  It will probably be competitive for the performance level.  Hopefully the starter version is 200MHz so that the price is in line with other 200MHz scopes, but you can get the big touch screen, etc.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
New 2GHz touchscreen scope from Tek, June 6th
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2017, 09:40:05 pm »

...the marketing team seems like a tight arse bunch to me.  :popcorn: ...

I can't speak for today, but as of four years ago their sales/marketing department was pretty damn awesome.

I was working on a book for McGraw-Hill and got in contact with Tek, to see if they would lend me some equipment to help (and obviously be featured) in said book. They actually *gave* me a bunch of brand new Tek and Keithley gear, including a scope, AFG, DMM, power supply and more. (This was all top of the line, current model stuff, too.)

Afterward I would occasionally get other little marketing promos in the mail as well (I got a really cool Tek shirt in the mail a few years ago; also a little rubber model of the MDO3000 that splits apart and turns into a USB drive).

Out of 7 of the companies I contacted (Keysight, Lecroy, etc.) only three ever responded and of those three only Tek ever followed through. Though, to be fair, someone who worked for Tek (I believe it was w2ae) put me in touch with a specific person in the right department, so that might have helped things significantly; I didn't have contacts at the other companies so it was just an email to whatever address I could find on their site.

Anyway, that significantly colored my perception of Tek and is why I still think they're pretty cool. :D

(Though in the last year or so it is getting harder to recommend their scope products on the low to mid end of the range; AgiSight is beating the pants off them there lately. Tek's USB SAs, standalone SAs, VNAs and AWG/AFG products are still top notch though and I've talked a couple of companies I've done consulting work for into buying one.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:44:21 pm by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2017, 12:24:22 am »

Why haven't you guys sent anything to Dave the last 4 years, that's my burning question, are you guys upset about the MDO3000 review ?  :popcorn:

Would you send expensive test gear to someone who throws it on the ground ? :D LOL

Didn't Dave do the review on the Tek MDO4000 but was given the MDO3000 later ?

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2017, 12:25:30 am »
Hi Brian,

I got some whisper that your company surprise us with

6x2GHz, 6.5GS/s
500uV/DIV-1V/DIV at 50Ohm and 500uV/DIV-20V/DIV at 1MOhm
12Bit Resolution
15.4 Touch
6MSample/CH
500k Update

What ENOB including the frontend do you expect from your colleges?

BR
Reiner

This will be a great scope and you can be sure that they will roll back cheaper models with some of the same technology ;)

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2017, 06:20:50 am »

Would you send expensive test gear to someone who throws it on the ground ? :D LOL

Well, Daniel and Mike from Keysight threw a MSO3104T on a BBQ as part of their marketing campaign :D . You are correct, it was the MDO4000 then the MDO3000 (and this was 5 years ago not 4).

I think someone at Tek lost their shit when Dave started to criticize the "stupid" security dongles for the protocol decoders, the scope's UI button layout and started doing excessive picking, that must have hurt someone's pride.   

Here is the video in question. 

Anyway, I hope Tek changes their attitude towards EEVBLOG instead of have floating marketing staff on the forum pitching their product. (cheap tactics)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:28:35 am by diyaudio »

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2017, 06:35:25 am »
It's no secret Dave has a hard time getting around to reviews, he says again and again how time-consuming and elaborate they are. And I'm sure he's happy to skip them when he can. What happened to the DSOX1102G review? RTB2004? SDS1202X-E? Or the other three oscilloscope he had stacked up waiting for a video?

I'm not meant as a complaint, but I understand why Tektronix would be hesitant here. Especially if they want a launch event, i.e. video release and shout out on June 6th.

I think Shahriar would be a better fit for this one, assuming it's aimed at the high-end market and you want to show off what this scope can do.

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2017, 06:35:54 am »

Well, Daniel and Mike from Keysight threw a MSO3104T on a BBQ as part of their marketing campaign :D . You are correct, it was the MDO4000 then the MDO3000 (and this was 5 years ago not 4).

I think someone at Tek lost their shit when Dave started to criticize the "stupid" security dongles for the protocol decoders, the scope's UI button layout and started doing excessive picking, that must have hurt someone's pride.   

Anyway, I hope Tek changes their attitude towards EEVBLOG instead of have floating marketing staff on the forum pitching their product. (cheap tactics)

I believe you can still enter the license keys without those dongles so it's a moot point ;)

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2017, 06:37:08 am »
It's no secret Dave has a hard time getting around to reviews, he says again and again how time-consuming and elaborate they are. And I'm sure he's happy to skip them when he can. What happened to the DSOX1102G review? RTB2004? SDS1202X-E? Or the other three oscilloscope he had stacked up waiting for a video?

I'm not meant as a complaint, but I understand why Tektronix would be hesitant here. Especially if they want a launch event, i.e. video release and shout out on June 6th.

I think Shahriar would be a better fit for this one, assuming it's aimed at the high-end market and you want to show off what this scope can do.

and the MDO3000 ??

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2017, 06:39:07 am »

and the MDO3000 ??

Isn't that like 2-3 years ago now? Can hardly remember. All the ones I mentioned are the past few months.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2017, 07:29:37 am »
I must admit I like my MDO modules - yes they can get lost - but on the plus side if I get a new scope I can move the license there without any hassle - try that on a Keysight Scope...  You never get a lot of money for options when you sell you old scope - so just moving the license is IMHO the better option. Keysight could do that with license manager but ....

And I do love my MDO4054-6 - yes it is (VERY) slow at some things but for working on RF+Logic - it is really great.  If I need high speed I use my Keysight. So like any tool - you don't (usually) use a hammer for a screw :)

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2017, 07:41:24 am »
It's no secret Dave has a hard time getting around to reviews, he says again and again how time-consuming and elaborate they are
The problem is a modern scope has so much stuff in it that you could easily spend a week full-time researching, and make make several hours of video to cover it all comprehensively. Even a short summary video still needs the time researching which features are important/standout/sucky.

It's just not a good return on time spent, and the alternative of a paid review has no credibility.
It was probably more worthwhile for Dave in the earlier years, to help build subscribers, but nowadays I can totally understand his reluctance - it's simply a time vs. interest thing.

Probably the most effective approach is to actually use the thing day-to-day for a while, which is what I did with the R&S (partly from necessity as my Keysight died and then got lost by the courier for  month!), but even then you will only cover aspects that you routinely use - e.g. I've yet to even look at the FFT or mask test on the R&S.

From the manufacturer's point of view, it's probably better to give review units to lesser known, but technically credible bloggers, for whom a shiny new scope is a big deal, so they put some time into it, and will probably give a positive review ( possibly because they've not used any of the competition). 

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2017, 07:44:39 am »
And I do love my MDO4054-6 - yes it is (VERY) slow at some things but for working on RF+Logic - it is really great.  If I need high speed I use my Keysight. So like any tool - you don't (usually) use a hammer for a screw :)
But if you're paying that much for a scope, you should expect better UI performance - using a more powerful processor wouldn't have added much to the build cost. It's like their attitude was that if you need an MDO, you need it regardless, so why bother to put the effort in to make it nice to use.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2017, 08:49:32 am »
The most channels. The largest display. The greatest experience.

+ The Highest Price no doubt

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2017, 08:58:13 am »
I will be VERY surprised if the EEVBLOG lab gets one, for some odd reason TEK hasn't sent him a dam thing after he reviewed the MDO3000 review. :wtf:  :bullshit:

I can confirm that I didn't know a thing about this until I just saw this thread now, and no I don't have one.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2017, 09:00:09 am »
It's no secret Dave has a hard time getting around to reviews, he says again and again how time-consuming and elaborate they are
The problem is a modern scope has so much stuff in it that you could easily spend a week full-time researching, and make make several hours of video to cover it all comprehensively. Even a short summary video still needs the time researching which features are important/standout/sucky.

It's just not a good return on time spent, and the alternative of a paid review has no credibility.
It was probably more worthwhile for Dave in the earlier years, to help build subscribers, but nowadays I can totally understand his reluctance - it's simply a time vs. interest thing.

Yep, precisely that.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2017, 09:03:52 am »

LOL, I'd actually completely forgotten that I did that 1 1/2 hour video review!  :palm:

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2017, 09:06:51 am »

Yes, the MDO4000 was a loaner and went back.
I got the MDO3000 along with dozens of others when they were giving them away to bloggers like candy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf