Author Topic: Need urgent advice on which scope to buy to record waveforms  (Read 6663 times)

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Need urgent advice on which scope to buy to record waveforms
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 02:37:45 am »
Before I gave up on the Siglent, I would read about the History functionality.  I have no idea what it does but it seems to be a step in the right direction.

I am far from an expert with the RECORD feature of the Rigol DS1054Z but it seems to work.  I chose to record just one frame and then ran the FFT on the stored waveform.  It would be better to post a new thread requesting user experience with RECORD.

Anyway, here is the waveform and FFT:

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 02:45:58 am »
OK thanks everyone, I ve just did everything with my analog discovery 2 - did not know it has a recording mode.

Still would be happy to buy a great scope as this occasion made me unhappy about my entry level siglent - it was useless for me. I definitely made a wrong choice when I bought it, shame on me for not doing any due diligence.

So I am still interested what is the best scope on the market these days, with the recording feature, with the ability to run the FFT on the fragment of the recorded wave etc.

Best?  Probably one of the $150,000 Keysights!  Just guessing...

Bang for the buck?  Probably the Rigol DS1054Z.

Better scopes abound but they start at 3x the cost and go up from there.  I would drive a stake in the ground for price or you will get replies from entry level to top-of-the-line.

Offline dimbmwTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 07:44:17 am »
Before I gave up on the Siglent, I would read about the History functionality.  I have no idea what it does but it seems to be a step in the right direction.

I am far from an expert with the RECORD feature of the Rigol DS1054Z but it seems to work.  I chose to record just one frame and then ran the FFT on the stored waveform.  It would be better to post a new thread requesting user experience with RECORD.

Anyway, here is the waveform and FFT:

I do not see the Y axis on the FFT part, ho do one knows what the levels are? Is there a way to turn the X cursor on the FFT screen and see the levels?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 07:49:48 am »
What was carrier frequency, real carrier level and modulation frequency and depth % in previous Rigol example?

Here:

Siglent SDS1102X(+)
Input 50ohm, signal 5kHz sine carrier level -6dBm, AM with 1kHz sine and modulation depth 50%.

Scope run normally and stopped for looking history buffer and there was 93 last horizontal sweeps. (biggest number is last acquisition) Displayed here frame 37 (56 back from stop moment. FFT.   FFT level Ref -3dBm. 10dB/div.  Horizontal 2kHz/div. (manually moved center for 7kHz)

For low frequency (audio) FFT analyzing I will recommend - just sound card and some good software. (if your signal is suitable for these)
For RF analyzing. Real SA.

If use scope what have limited processing power for FFT and very limited data length for FFT there is other way. If in hobby use  one have time and time is not money, as it is in profession works. I do not know how in other scopes but with Siglent, just insert USB stick and save waveform .CSV. (Or transfer using PC with EasyScopeX) Then use what ever suitable software for FFT (or what ever kind of analyze) (Warning: 14Msample .CSV file is - huge.  Look your software limits)

if push "Math" button there can see FFT current settings. Cursors can use for FFT (selecting cursor source Math instead of CH1 or CH2 or Ref A or Ref B).  In this image level is dBm, scale 10dB/div and Reference (top) level -3dBm.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:57:43 am by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: dimbmw

Offline dimbmwTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 08:05:39 am »
What was carrier frequency, real carrier level and modulation frequency and depth % in previous Rigol example?

Here:

Siglent SDS1102X(+)
Input 50ohm, signal 5kHz sine carrier level -6dBm, AM with 1kHz sine and modulation depth 50%.

Scope run normally and stopped for looking history buffer and there was 93 last horizontal sweeps. (biggest number is last acquisition) Displayed here frame 37 (56 back from stop moment. FFT.   FFT level Ref -3dBm. 10dB/div.  Horizontal 2kHz/div. (manually moved center for 7kHz)

For low frequency (audio) FFT analyzing I will recommend - just sound card and some good software. (if your signal is suitable for these)
For RF analyzing. Real SA.

If use scope what have limited processing power for FFT and very limited data length for FFT there is other way. If in hobby use  one have time and time is not money, as it is in profession works. I do not know how in other scopes but with Siglent, just insert USB stick and save waveform .CSV. (Or transfer using PC with EasyScopeX) Then use what ever suitable software for FFT (or what ever kind of analyze) (Warning: 14Msample .CSV file is - huge.  Look your software limits)

if push "Math" button there can see FFT current settings. Cursors can use for FFT (selecting cursor source Math instead of CH1 or CH2 or Ref A or Ref B).  In this image level is dBm, scale 10dB/div and Reference (top) level -3dBm.

So in your example - is the FFT run on just one frame or entire waveform?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf