Author Topic: Need help with Siglent SDM3055 (SOLVED!)  (Read 12044 times)

Offline MartyDTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Need help with Siglent SDM3055 (SOLVED!)
« on: November 20, 2014, 05:58:56 pm »
Hi guys!
(Long time reader here but first time poster)

I have a problem with my SDM3055: After a bad crash of the Multimeter a directory on the internal storage path disappeared and I cannot remember the name of that directory.
Since the directory is gone my Multimeter is unable to remember its settings after a reboot.

Siglent Support was'nt very helpful at all because they do not seem to understand my problem, all they did was send me a new firmware but that didnt fix this specific error.

So if someone with the same Multimeter could help me out a bit by telling whats the name of that directory is I would be very thankful.

TIA
Marty
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:18:59 am by MartyD »

• Regular Contributor
Re: Need help with Siglent SDM3055
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 07:29:12 pm »
Okay, after fiddling around a bit more I managed to totally mess up the meter...
Trying to store ANYTHING internally ends up in what you see on the attached picture.
Guess I have to return the unit and hope that Siglent will either deliver a functional unit or give me a refund.
After the positive experience I have with my SDS1102CML and the SDG1025 this is a really disappointing product! The firmware is buggy and in my case the hardware also seems to be faulty.

Marty

Siglent America

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:03:49 pm »
I will forward this to the factory.

Steve

Siglent America

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 03:32:13 pm »
Okay, after fiddling around a bit more I managed to totally mess up the meter...
Trying to store ANYTHING internally ends up in what you see on the attached picture.
Guess I have to return the unit and hope that Siglent will either deliver a functional unit or give me a refund.
After the positive experience I have with my SDS1102CML and the SDG1025 this is a really disappointing product! The firmware is buggy and in my case the hardware also seems to be faulty.

Marty

Marty, I understand from Jade at the factory that he was not able to duplicate the problem but that the two of you are in touch? We want to take care of this for you.

Thanks
Steve

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 04:48:19 pm »
Hello Steve and thanks for your reply!

I am indeed in contact with Jade but I have a damn hard time explaining him my problem, he doesn't seem to understand me at all.

Maybe all it takes is the correct command sent via GPIB/NI-VISA or some hidden menu option so I could reformat the internal storage.

But it seems there is no other option left over than sending the unit back to china... If that is worth the shipping costs and waiting, I'm not sure.

I already wasted 3 evenings after work in trying to make this darn thing work as it should and I'm no dummie either, but they treat me like that.

To be honest, I am very disappointed right now. If they don't offer me a REAL solution quickly instead of the usual "Have you RTFM? Have you powered it on?" supporter blabla I consider it a lesson learned and start saving up for a Metrawatt/Tektronix/Fluke/whatever has good support and they speak my language(s).
*sigh*

Marty
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:02:56 pm by MartyD »

Siglent America

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 05:54:09 pm »
Thanks for your comments, Marty.

We here in Cleveland are still waiting for our first shipment of SDM3055s to come in (I'm told they are in transit). We would like to help out on this here in Cleveland. Our factory engineers are extremely intelligent but I do know that there is an occasional language translation problem. Given that, I have asked one of our Cleveland Applications Engineers to help out on this issue. Again, he will have to wait to to receive our first SDM3055 before he can actually run tests himself but Scott can begin to help communicate with the factory.

With that, I will ask you to please contact Scott at
scott.rocco@siglent.com
Scott is here in our office and can help us out on this.

As a note, I see that you are in Germany. Siglent does have an office in Hamburg. We will CC those guys as well.

Again, we want to take care of your problem so I wanted to reach out to you directly on this.

Thanks again.
Steve

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 07:40:01 pm »
Hello Steve!

I really appreciate that you are willing to help, but I doubt that it makes sense explaining the same bug over and over again to different people who cannot help me in the end.
It's tiring me because I already tried to explain to Jonas from siglent.eu (where I actually bought the unit) and Jade at Siglent.

To reproduce the problem the multimeter software has to crash first, like mine did. It crashed constantly using Temperature sensors. I loaded e.g. PT100 sensor on the multimeter, pressed some option buttons and *kaboom*, the meter froze and I had to unplug it from the mains.
This was also reproducable by selecting temperature range, select a sensor, switch to e.g. volts and then back to temp, voila: meter freezes.
After 2-3 crashes the internal storage didn't work anymore because the filesystem is messed up, it doesn't remember its settings after a reboot anymore, I cannot save xml-data or csv anymore, I cannot save screenshots anymore, nothing. I get "file fail" whenever I try to store something on the meter (see picture above).

This happened with Firmware 1.01.01.08R1, my Meters Hardware is 02-00-00-11-00.
Jade sent me Firmware version 1.01.01.09, it fixed the temperature sensors crashing the meter but my filesystem is still broken.

<rage_mode>
So yea, thats my problem with the SDM3055, a really nice hardware with a really shitty software on it. SOMEONE TELL ME PLEASE HOW TO FORMAT "internal"!!!
</rage_mode>

I can only advise Siglent to more thoroughly test their products in the future before releasing it "in the wild" aka selling it to customers.

On a side note: I find it a bit funny that a consumer in germany (me) gets his hands on a new device before Siglent US (you) has it.

Marty
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:50:05 am by MartyD »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 11:44:30 am »
I have uploaded a video to youtube to demonstrate the file system failure. Excuse the bad quality please, I did it with my cellphone.

http://youtu.be/pTfnU7DNM7U

Marty

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 07:28:04 pm »
Marty
Contact the Hamburg office, hopefully that might help with the lanuage difficulties.
Keep us posted on the results please.

Often in test equipment there are hidden menus that are only revealed in Service manuals that are not normally available to the public.
Hamburg should have access to these.

I have the same bench meter coming in a couple of weeks for my personal use and maybe demo use.
I was offered a pre-release unit some months ago but did not have the facilities to test it properly and provide the proper feedback for development.
However I will try to put it through it paces, especially with File management to see if there is a bug there.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 09:17:02 pm »
I wonder why they did not just add "format" and "check filesystem" commands to the file manager, I miss that on the oscilloscope and signal generator as well.  :-//

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 07:57:51 am »
I wonder why they did not just add "format" and "check filesystem" commands to the file manager, I miss that on the oscilloscope and signal generator as well.  :-//
Dear Marty,
We checked it, Did you delete the entire directory?
we finally reproduced the issue, yes, it is a SW bug, we need build a new firmware to fix it. we will release the new firmware in two weeks. Our distributor has just sent you a new machine to replace.
The Best Value in Electronic Test & Measurement

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 10:30:55 am »
@Siglent:
The directory on the device deleted itself somehow when the meter crashed, the whole filesystem is broken after 2 or 3 crashes.

Jonas already informed me that a replacement unit is on the way, let's just hope this one survives until the new firmware is out! I better not operate it until the new firmware is released. ;D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 08:59:32 am »
Hi guys!

The good news: Jonas from siglent.eu shop sent me a replacement unit in no time, it arrived just one day after I complained.  :-+
He was also the most helpful person in contacting Siglent about my problem and we went through quite a few emails.
So if you guys in Europe think about buying a Siglent product, Jonas is the guy! I can highly recommend his service.
My other thumbs up goes to Jade from Siglent for taking care of a new firmware release so quick.  :-+

The bad news: My replacement unit still came with the dangerous 1.01.01.08R1 firmware which can crash and make your unit unusable.
So here goes my warning: If you receive an SDM3055 with 1.01.01.08R1 firmware I advise you to IMMEDIATLY update it to 1.01.01.09 or newer before doing ANYTHING with the Meter!

I have to do some thorough testing this weekend and, if anybody is interested, will also make a video review of the Multimeter.
So far I have not discovered any further serious bugs in the firmware and my overall first impression (now that I have a working unit) is not bad at all.

Again, thanks to all the guys (including the forum members here) that helped me out!

Marty

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
Re: Need help with Siglent SDM3055 (SOLVED!)
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 12:09:26 pm »
Good, I'm glad  :-+
I appreciate one review, I'm between buy this or Rigol DM3058E

Regards
Osvaldo
My instruments: DMM Keysight 34461A / Tektronix DMM916 / Fluke 12, Rigol DS1074Z, Deer DE-5000, Siglent SDG805 / SDP3303D, Dayton Dats2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 01:08:54 pm »
Hello Osvaldo!

If you look at the data sheets there will be no difference in measurement accuracy between the two at all, it appears they are using the same A/D-converter and such.
However, there can still be differences in the analog front end which affect accuracy.

For me, there are 3 main advantages of the Siglent over the Rigol:
1. The display of the Siglent is plain gorgeous - You can have 2 measurements in parallel and also see a chart, all at the same time. I love it!
2. The Siglent (in my area) is around €50 cheaper than the Rigol
3. If you know how to operate the Agilent 34461A you will feel VERY familiar! ;-)

But there is also a disadvantage you gotta keep in mind:

The Siglent is a brand-spanking-new product and, as you can see in this thread, it had a serious firmware issue.
Now that this is fixed there might still be some bugs in the firmware which have yet to be discovered.

The hardware itself leaves a very solid impression, e.g. the included probes are better than I expected in this price range.

Marty
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:12:43 pm by MartyD »

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 01:30:05 pm »
Hello Osvaldo!

If you look at the data sheets there will be no difference in measurement accuracy between the two at all, it appears they are using the same A/D-converter and such.
However, there can still be differences in the analog front end which affect accuracy.

For me, there are 3 main advantages of the Siglent over the Rigol:
1. The display of the Siglent is plain gorgeous - You can have 2 measurements in parallel and also see a chart, all at the same time. I love it!
2. The Siglent (in my area) is around €50 cheaper than the Rigol
3. If you know how to operate the Agilent 34461A you will feel VERY familiar! ;-)

But there is also a disadvantage you gotta keep in mind:

The Siglent is a brand-spanking-new product and, as you can see in this thread, it had a serious firmware issue.
Now that this is fixed there might still be some bugs in the firmware which have yet to be discovered.

The hardware itself leaves a very solid impression, e.g. the included probes are better than I expected in this price range.

Marty

Hi Marty

Thanks for the information
Yes, that Agilent is very similar to SIGLENT  :)
When you can post a review, I agree about the firmware, but a matter of time for it to stabilize.

Regards, Osvaldo
My instruments: DMM Keysight 34461A / Tektronix DMM916 / Fluke 12, Rigol DS1074Z, Deer DE-5000, Siglent SDG805 / SDP3303D, Dayton Dats2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 02:08:53 pm »
As we have seen on the SDG1025 thread, this can be quite a long time.  :-\

I wrote an email to jade from Siglent and pointed out a few minor issues I've discovered so far, I hope to get an answer anytime soon.

If not, I have to complain on the eevblog again...  >:D

Marty

Offline KMSL

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 09:29:07 pm »
Osvaldo: Read User manual Rigol DM3058 and user manual SDM3055:  ARE EQUAL !!!!   except of course new display mode operation.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:31:32 pm by KMSL »

Offline ShreveCC

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 01:45:22 pm »
This is disturbing news-  I just ordered a SDM3055, and I guess I am taking a chance on this new Siglent product; especially since most of my lab equipment is made from Siglent and one Applent product.  I am happy with the price/performance/reliability of Siglent so far.... 

However that Rigol Z1054, is almost beyond temptation, so Siglent needs to work really hard to match a product at $399-450 U.S. Dollars to compete with that winner.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:51:48 pm by ShreveCC »
Complexity is simple; when you have a complex mind - Just adjust your Sample Rate for others to measure your thoughts clearly.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 06:17:31 pm »
This is disturbing news-  I just ordered a SDM3055, and I guess I am taking a chance on this new Siglent product; especially since most of my lab equipment is made from Siglent and one Applent product.  I am happy with the price/performance/reliability of Siglent so far.... 

However that Rigol Z1054, is almost beyond temptation, so Siglent needs to work really hard to match a product at $399-450 U.S. Dollars to compete with that winner.
Marty's issue was nearly 6 months ago and has been well sorted.
Siglent is expected to release more FW for the SDM3055 soon.

There is another SDM3055 thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf