Author Topic: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2  (Read 92670 times)

Offline dropkick

• Contributor
Re: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2
« Reply #275 on: October 26, 2020, 12:26:05 am »
10 days to US West Coast via DHL. Actually 4 days from the 'it shipped' email... showed up on DHL tracking in Hong Kong that same day.
Same box/bag packaging but no problems. Seems to work well! Glad I got the 4 in.

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #276 on: October 26, 2020, 02:11:03 am »
Do you think they are ever going to release a tabletop version ? I would really like to use it as a bench instrument..
It just needs a bigger LCD and a bigger case. Would happily pay more for this !

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #277 on: October 26, 2020, 02:18:46 am »
I missed it this time. I wonder when they restock them.
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline hpmaxim

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #278 on: October 26, 2020, 10:27:00 am »
I too am wondering when the V2 Plus 4 will be back in stock at Tindie.  Also, are there other versions in development or is this it for a while?

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #279 on: October 26, 2020, 10:46:32 am »
My Plus4 got finally delivered this morning. DHL caused a bit of a delay, they showed up on Friday with a tax bill, expecting me to pay the delivery driver Import VAT in cash, exact down to the cent because he didn't have any change. Well, I didn't either. So I sent him off.

Their customer support confirmed this being normal procedure! They weren't able at first to come up with a method to pay online in advance or even a possibility to see the total upfront, but after 15 minutes of me complaining how this was possible they produced a URL to an "On Demand Delivery" portal that was unknown to me, where I could actually pay the bill online with PayPal!

I subscribe to everything said about the packaging. It is absolutely inadequate. There was no cushioning or other protective material in the little cardboard box that came wrapped only in a DHL envelope bag. The inside of the box shows heavy wear marks where the SMA connectors rubbed against it. There's a 18650 cell inside. These are pretty heavy. I wonder how many of them are DOA with the battery rummaging around inside the case and damaging components.

The metal case is nice and a welcome addition. A bit of silk screen on the case, labels for  the ports and switches, a logo or other branding would have certainly helped the appearance. HCXQS are excellent developers, would be a shame for them to loose out against clones whose only differentiator is a bit of make-up.

A word on the included cal kit: The "thru" piece desperately needs a knurl! It's hardly possible to properly attach the DUT or cal kit, with only turning the nuts to avoid abrasion on the center contacts.

Despite the flimsy packaging it arrived in one piece and functional. I was able to perform SOLT calibration across the full range. S11 noise floor seems to be a about 5dB better than spec up to 4GHz. Couldn't test dynamic range yet  (lacking proper procedure).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:53:28 am by thinkfat »
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline maple

« Reply #280 on: October 26, 2020, 10:50:09 am »

I was told that they will restock them in about 2 weeks.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #281 on: October 26, 2020, 11:49:31 am »
A word on the included cal kit: The "thru" piece desperately needs a knurl! It's hardly possible to properly attach the DUT or cal kit, with only turning the nuts to avoid abrasion on the center contacts.

I would expect the standards supplied with the V2P4 are better than what was supplied with my original Nano.  Mine has a flat for a 13/64 ignition wrench.  I'm not sure how else it could be torqued.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #282 on: October 26, 2020, 12:47:12 pm »
The double-female "through" piece that comes with the V2 and also V2 plus4 is completely round. Impossible to hold it firmly. I have another SMA cal kit that at least has a knurled "midriff". No proper face for a wrench, but the knurl at least allows holding it firmly.

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #283 on: October 26, 2020, 09:24:30 pm »
Where can i find which parts i habe to change to get a v2+ out of my v2.2?
Didn't find anything in groups.io..

And will there be a cost effective version of v2+4 without display, battery und fully closed case for PC use only?

Online bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #284 on: October 26, 2020, 11:22:43 pm »
@Noy
A way to request the info was posted by OwO:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/nanovna-v2-aka-s-a-a-2/msg3233880/#msg3233880

I have made the hardware mods.  However a change to the boot loader is required to recognize and install V2+.  This requires a jtag programer.  There seems to be issues with getting the programmer to recognize the clone ST chips used in the nanovna.  My nano is a paper weight until this is resolved.

Funny, the open source project stlink-org/stlink seems to think that supporting STM clones is not something there clone software is supposed to do???  Don't know how the clone manufactures get around this, may a Chinese language st-link.

edit 2020/10/27  After some fiddling the windoz 10 STM programmer worked.  The now v2plus has even better performance and faster..  Awesome !
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:38:04 pm by bicycleguy »

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #285 on: October 26, 2020, 11:25:00 pm »
Thx Segger JLink should work or?

Offline mankan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #286 on: October 27, 2020, 12:08:28 am »
Use a clone STLink that does not use the target voltage sense or fool a real one by giving it 3V on that pin. I had the same issue.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #287 on: October 27, 2020, 12:41:53 am »
The double-female "through" piece that comes with the V2 and also V2 plus4 is completely round. Impossible to hold it firmly. I have another SMA cal kit that at least has a knurled "midriff". No proper face for a wrench, but the knurl at least allows holding it firmly.

So you want something like these?
https://www.amazon.com/Female-Barrel-Adapter-Connector-Straight/dp/B00VL6OCE2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=39MR5T1ES7AU5&dchild=1&keywords=sma+female+to+sma+female&qid=1603757580&sprefix=sma+fem%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-3

It looks like Digikey stocks at least one.   
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mueller-electric-co/BU-P72966/9675950

How does the new Nano handle the thru?   

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #288 on: October 27, 2020, 02:19:44 am »

I was told that they will restock them in about 2 weeks.

:-+. I asked Tindie bot to notify me.
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #289 on: October 27, 2020, 03:06:23 pm »
Thx Segger JLink should work or?

I've used the J-Link with the NanoVNA v2 MCU without any issues.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #290 on: October 27, 2020, 04:25:01 pm »

So you want something like these?
https://www.amazon.com/Female-Barrel-Adapter-Connector-Straight/dp/B00VL6OCE2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=39MR5T1ES7AU5&dchild=1&keywords=sma+female+to+sma+female&qid=1603757580&sprefix=sma+fem%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-3

It looks like Digikey stocks at least one.   
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mueller-electric-co/BU-P72966/9675950

How does the new Nano handle the thru?

I don't need one of these, I have one of these already. One of the SMA cal kits I have includes it.

But I suggest HCXQS delivering a different cal kit with a proper barrel adapter. Not crazy-proper but at least such that you can screw and unscrew the cal standards and DUTs without too much wear on the contacts.

The following users thanked this post: uski

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #291 on: October 27, 2020, 05:42:26 pm »
the trick is... be gratefull we got solt kit + good cables included at all, at much much less than $1K of damage... if i want to complaint, then its the open and short butt have same appearance, the open should have a little hole on the butt so we can easily recognize. but well what can i say for something that i (assume) got for basically free.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:45:44 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #292 on: October 27, 2020, 10:28:45 pm »
Did yours come with the stainless connector/cable?   It looked like the standard was blue with gold plate.

Looks like everything arrived.  Packaging looked fine with several layers of bubble wrap.   V2+4 case is well made.  Does have a battery holder.   Tossed in a charged battery and it fired right up.  Cal kits for the two units appear the same except for the red rubber boot on the V2+ load.   Both thrus were as described, no flat. 

I haven't assembled the case of the V2+ yet.   

Played with the menus on the +4.  Seems easy enough to drive. 

Initial thoughts,  looks like OWO and team did a really nice job with it.   I want to thank you for all of your efforts. 

I'm surprised the designers did not use all of that space on the case to advertise.  Some fancy screening to give it some bling and their company logo/contact info.  The case is really nice and seems a shame to not letter it. 

I tried the PC software.  Basically, it hangs for a very long time and you can't press any buttons.  Almost like it is trying to connect to one of the several serial ports available.   Eventually, what ever it is trying to do times out and you can select the comm port and connect.  Then expect more delays.  Not smooth at all.   Ran into poor software with the original Nano as well.   

Looks like the commands are documented.  :-+ 

Having fun but have yet to try and measure anything with it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:00:33 am by joeqsmith »

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2020, 01:51:39 am »
The only real problem I saw when putting the plastic case that came with the V2+ together was the switches were not installed flat into the PCB.  The would interfere with the holes.   Quick touch of the iron.  Worse part is having to align the spacers when placing the covers.  They tend to move.   Extra spacers and screw were included.  I suspect people would loose them.   I left off the rubber O-ring.   

Flipper had printed a case for my original Nano.  I added a slot for the development connector. 

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2020, 05:46:39 am »
Did yours come with the stainless connector/cable?   It looked like the standard was blue with gold plate.
the steel cable is huber-suhner cable. i keep the blue cable safely for real job. the huber suhner cable is a little bit out of spec so i will torture that first.

The only real problem I saw when putting the plastic case that came with the V2+ together was the switches were not installed flat into the PCB.  The would interfere with the holes.
mine is aligned quite well. if they are not aligned, you can try turning them around up or down. the enclosure designer is clever enough to make none symetrical notch dimension so its unlikely you can install them wrong, if it should be the other way around, you'll see the notches and holes wont fit. my problem with buttons is they are too closely placed, i have to press with nail. if i press with finger, i'll press 2 buttons simultaneously.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #295 on: October 28, 2020, 07:33:18 am »
the trick is... be gratefull we got solt kit + good cables included at all, at much much less than $1K of damage... if i want to complaint, then its the open and short butt have same appearance, the open should have a little hole on the butt so we can easily recognize. but well what can i say for something that i (assume) got for basically free.

I'm not "complaining". I'm trying to improve the quality of the product. Attention to detail is a differentiator. Your suggestion about putting a small hole into the "open" standard is another one of those little details. Also, at $130 the V2plus4 is not "cheap" cheap.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #296 on: October 28, 2020, 08:11:04 am »
Also, at $130 the V2plus4 is not "cheap" cheap.
super-used old 3GHz HP/Agilent VNA still in range of $2K price tag. the 6GHz version is $3K, if they ever reach $1K range, i will grab one if i have some money saved, i guarantee you this. but that time still not here yet. Deepace KC901V is $2K. so blessed the NanoVNA birth. i agree with you, its not wrong to make suggestion for improvement, what i'm afraid, they will find better option as suggested, but increase the price as a result. if we need better cal kit, we can get from other sources. Kirkby Microwave provides both male and female at $500, guaranteed tracability to whatever HP/Agilent VNA he's using, he also provides respond plots for the kit, each are manually hand tuned and characterized for a week after payment with unique serial number (i guess if he is like me, he will keep data files for each set he's characterising in case customers come back to him due to lost data files). another China option that i searched provides only one gender at $200 with no characterization nor guarantee whatsoever. another is SDR kit etc and others cheaper version, you get what you paid. i tell you, with current world's VNA state, $100 is cheap! cheers.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #297 on: October 28, 2020, 09:14:42 am »
Something like this might do the job but I'll need to find one with good enough parameters:
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #298 on: October 28, 2020, 09:59:50 am »
the steel cable is huber-suhner cable. i keep the blue cable safely for real job. the huber suhner cable is a little bit out of spec so i will torture that first.

The only real problem I saw when putting the plastic case that came with the V2+ together was the switches were not installed flat into the PCB.  The would interfere with the holes.
mine is aligned quite well. if they are not aligned, you can try turning them around up or down. the enclosure designer is clever enough to make none symetrical notch dimension so its unlikely you can install them wrong, if it should be the other way around, you'll see the notches and holes wont fit. my problem with buttons is they are too closely placed, i have to press with nail. if i press with finger, i'll press 2 buttons simultaneously.

The rocker / push button switch on the original Nano, at least with my unit, was very poor.   I doubt I will use the buttons with the V2.  Both V2+ and V2+4 seem to drive nicely with the touch screen.  Eventually, I plan to write some better software for it and run it headless. 

I noticed the case had a polarity real quick.  You can't put it together wrong.... well.. I say that..  Human factor.

Cable makes sense now.

Also, at $130 the V2plus4 is not "cheap" cheap.
super-used old 3GHz HP/Agilent VNA still in range of $2K price tag. the 6GHz version is $3K, if they ever reach $1K range, i will grab one if i have some money saved, i guarantee you this. but that time still not here yet. Deepace KC901V is $2K. so blessed the NanoVNA birth. i agree with you, its not wrong to make suggestion for improvement, what i'm afraid, they will find better option as suggested, but increase the price as a result. if we need better cal kit, we can get from other sources. Kirkby Microwave provides both male and female at $500, guaranteed tracability to whatever HP/Agilent VNA he's using, he also provides respond plots for the kit, each are manually hand tuned and characterized for a week after payment with unique serial number (i guess if he is like me, he will keep data files for each set he's characterising in case customers come back to him due to lost data files). another China option that i searched provides only one gender at $200 with no characterization nor guarantee whatsoever. another is SDR kit etc and others cheaper version, you get what you paid. i tell you, with current world's VNA state, $100 is cheap! cheers.

Agree, $120 + shipping is very inexpensive if it actually does what they claim.   Like the original Nano, I am not expecting much.  The original  was a big surprise.  With all three units running side by side, the resolution and speed is obvious.    Just from that, it's impressive.   

I plan to run it with the cal kit and cables they included.  I'm sure below 1GHz, it will be fine but at > 2GHz, its hard to believe it will put up meaningful data.  Not being able to torque a connector at 4GHz, how does that work?   I'm guessing it $120 works.   Looking forward to hours of fun.   

The following users thanked this post: Bravo

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2020, 10:40:57 am »
Not being able to torque a connector at 4GHz, how does that work?
up to 6GHz, i can torque with just my bare hand to get consistent result. i have china torque wrench for sma, but i dont find that necessary to use so its just for backup. i think using wrench will put too much torque and wear out the connectors faster thats why i dont like to use it.

Something like this might do the job but I'll need to find one with good enough parameters:
thats funny, thats for panel mounting. the one joeqsmith posted in reply #294 is more practical (i have that in stock) and the one came with Kirkby set is more shorter than provided by NanoVNA, full thread across length but has flattened area in the middle to put locking wrench, as in Joe's reply #288.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf