Author Topic: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2  (Read 94451 times)

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2
« Reply #250 on: October 17, 2020, 01:29:11 am »
If I started reading all the threads here again, along with all the other articles I can find along with watching all the youtubes I can find, it will be at least my third attempt at getting up to speed on the history and current status of the various related products.  It's cool to see that 1) the bandwidth is going higher, 2) the display is getting larger, 3) the price continues to be affordable (actually a great deal for what it does), 4) the software seems to be steadily getting better, etc etc etc.  But it is a lot of reading and watching to continually sort through it all (not so much the technology, but the commercialization politics).  In any event, if it was available on Amazon I think more people would probably quit reading and just buy one knowing that it's an easy return if it isn't what they were thinking/hoping it might be.  To be square, I return maybe 2% of stuff I buy on Amazon (about 1.5% Amazon or the seller messed up, and 0.5% is a self-made issue) - but one of my returns was an earlier version of a "nanoVNA" product (in one of it's variants).  I'm sold on the concept, I'd just like one that meets a threshold of usability that is hard to know until you can play with it for an hour or so.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #251 on: October 17, 2020, 01:50:47 am »
I've just started sorting through this for my attempt #3 and it's confusing (and potentially very time consuming) again ..... even people who seem to have read all the most recent stuff seem to have found surprises within the last week or so.

What we need is a nanoVNA "family tree" diagram that goes back to the adam and eve nanoVNAs; mostly it would be an easy to navigate tree diagram with very brief name and note boxes (kinda like name and title in an org chart, or a family tree chart with birthdays).  Once that was brought current it would just need to be updated when new fruit falls from one of the branches.  But the beauty is you could see at a glance all the model naming/nomenclature, maybe who spawned it (adam or eve, etc.), and what it's major breakthrough or flaw was/is.

Just suggestin'.... in case anyone likes making family trees or org charts :)

A really good chart would have just the basics on the top layer with hyperlinks to the detailed info.  Just dreaming.... :)

We could start with just the top layer and add the links later :)

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #252 on: October 17, 2020, 01:54:19 am »
This is a test message... I keep getting notifications for this thread but no new messages show up...

Offline aristarchus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #253 on: October 17, 2020, 12:42:07 pm »
I've just started sorting through this for my attempt #3 and it's confusing (and potentially very time consuming) again ..... even people who seem to have read all the most recent stuff seem to have found surprises within the last week or so.

What we need is a nanoVNA "family tree" diagram that goes back to the adam and eve nanoVNAs; mostly it would be an easy to navigate tree diagram with very brief name and note boxes (kinda like name and title in an org chart, or a family tree chart with birthdays).  Once that was brought current it would just need to be updated when new fruit falls from one of the branches.  But the beauty is you could see at a glance all the model naming/nomenclature, maybe who spawned it (adam or eve, etc.), and what it's major breakthrough or flaw was/is.

A really good chart would have just the basics on the top layer with hyperlinks to the detailed info.  Just dreaming.... :)

It requires you to join the nanovna-users in groups.io, but it contains everything that you want to see.

https://groups.io/g/nanovna-users/wiki

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #254 on: October 17, 2020, 03:30:02 pm »
trap for young player. we need to calibrate completely all SOLT and save to make S21 plot works, we cant just calibrate the T alone, otherwise S21 plot will go wacky... this is not the case with my KC901V. attached is S21 noise floor (uncalibrated and calibrated).. so comparing the 2N unit (Hugen) from another member in the other thread side by side with my unit (OwO)...

I thought they were claiming 4GHz but I wasn't seeing any data beyond 3.  Is 3 the upper limit? 

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: October 17, 2020, 03:33:47 pm »
trap for young player. we need to calibrate completely all SOLT and save to make S21 plot works, we cant just calibrate the T alone, otherwise S21 plot will go wacky... this is not the case with my KC901V. attached is S21 noise floor (uncalibrated and calibrated).. so comparing the 2N unit (Hugen) from another member in the other thread side by side with my unit (OwO)...

I thought they were claiming 4GHz but I wasn't seeing any data beyond 3.  Is 3 the upper limit?

4Ghz only on the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 that was released somewhere last week. I guess Mechatrommer has the NanoVNA V2 Plus.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 03:42:20 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #256 on: October 17, 2020, 05:07:08 pm »
More info on the different hardware versions over here:

https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-versions.html

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: October 17, 2020, 07:55:48 pm »
As impressive as the original Nano is, I suspect the +4 outside of not having being able to collect all 4 S-Paramters, missing the step attenuators and bias Ts, may be better than my first VNA in every way.   Looking forward to seeing what it can do. 

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #258 on: October 17, 2020, 09:52:26 pm »
i was capturing 3GHz span to make easy comparison with the 2N next thread... but mine can go 4.4GHz on display (attached) just maybe a little bit out of spec.

4Ghz only on the NanoVNA V2 Plus4 that was released somewhere last week. I guess Mechatrommer has the NanoVNA V2 Plus.
i bought it as NanoVNA V2 Plus. i guess what i have is V2+ (V2_2) HW with latest FW (sept 2020) meant for V2+4? not sure... maybe mine is pilot unit for testing V2+4.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:54:28 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: ogden

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #259 on: October 17, 2020, 11:21:49 pm »

Instead of relying on others to do so, why don't read the WHOLE threads and do this "graph" by yourself?
Once studied the whole subject, if anything is not enough clear to you, you can start to make RELEVANT questions regarding the who and when so you will be able to complete the graph!
In a such way you will able to help the others (instead of whining)

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #260 on: October 17, 2020, 11:35:15 pm »
Instead of relying on others to do so, why don't read the WHOLE threads and do this "graph" by yourself?
Right. Become famous - make THE CHART of Nanovna. Don't be the whining [...] who expects that somebody else shall do the job for you.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #261 on: October 17, 2020, 11:45:29 pm »
Electro Fan,   did you check out Kosmic's link above?   Looks like it covers many of the various flavors.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2020, 11:58:02 pm »
Right. Become famous - make THE CHART of Nanovna. Don't be the whining [...] who expects that somebody else shall do the job for you.

I try to contribute when I think I have some answers and I ask for help when I don’t have or can’t find the answers.  In this case if the shoe doesn’t fit you, don’t wear it.  No worries.

To be square this wasn’t a request to help just me it was an idea about structuring information in a way that might help lots of people who are interested in VNAs get and stay current with developments that seem to have a history of interwoven moving parts.  I’m not JFK and we’re not going to the moon, but it was just a suggestion for anyone who might be a content expert and who enjoys organizing info. If the idea doesn’t have merit please feel free to ignore it. Sorry if it was whining.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #263 on: October 18, 2020, 12:00:37 am »
Electro Fan,   did you check out Kosmic's link above?   Looks like it covers many of the various flavors.

I did see that Joe, thanks.  It looks like it has concise and useful summary info.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #264 on: October 18, 2020, 12:10:17 am »
To be square this wasn’t a request to help just me it was an idea about structuring information in a way that might help lots of people who are interested in VNAs get and stay current with developments that seem to have a history of interwoven moving parts.  I’m not JFK and we’re not going to the moon, but it was just a suggestion for anyone who might be a content expert and who enjoys organizing info.
Right. Why don't you do main work gathering all the info. We can help you to organize it :)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #265 on: October 18, 2020, 12:29:08 am »

I try to contribute when I think I have some answers and I ask for help when I don’t have or can’t find the answers.  In this case if the shoe doesn’t fit you, don’t wear it.  No worries.

To be square this wasn’t a request to help just me it was an idea about structuring information in a way that might help lots of people who are interested in VNAs get and stay current with developments that seem to have a history of interwoven moving parts.  I’m not JFK and we’re not going to the moon, but it was just a suggestion for anyone who might be a content expert and who enjoys organizing info. If the idea doesn’t have merit please feel free to ignore it. Sorry if it was whining.
I doubt you are the only one confused by all the flavors of hardware.  Guessing the firmware versions are a nightmare.  Once Radiolistener took on modifying the firmware, I basically followed them to the point they had it working well enough and called it a day.  I haven't reprogrammed it since.

For now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they kept the same basic command set as the original Nano.  I haven't looked into any of it yet.   

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #266 on: October 18, 2020, 12:37:30 am »
MiniVNA - NanoVNA-H - NanoVNA V2 - V2.2 - V2 Plus - V2 Plus 4 there your graph.. can we get back on topic?

err oh.. SAA-V2N (Hugen) if you want to include the non-OwO model, feel free to browse aliexpress/ebay/taobao for more graph.. having worked with some budget setup and N-connector KC901V, i got a feeling the N connector on sub $100 VNA is just gimmick, its just make us harder to buy more N to SMA adapter and make things messy, how do you keep make many insertable DUT to N connector is beyond me, N connector is more expensive, bulky, less practical and seldomly found in circuit. good SMA is rated 18GHz, N only suitable for 10GHZ and more... but this can be open for debate for whoever want to up to it, no need more off topic here i think, make another thread.

the trick to make a good graph is become a PC worm, read more, dont be lazy, keep yourself up to date then you can build the graph in your mind and save your money to buy the right choice, but if keep following and replying in threads, put less time in work ie practical outcome (projects,pcb and designs) talk more work less, you can then make youtube and get many likes if you want. but... i'm not interested, better if i wait another 1 year until things settled down and buy which one bangest for buck... ymmv. i bought this V2+ just to make some comparison with my KC901V, if they both comparable, i can put V2+ into more workforce on my recent  < 2GHz stuffs. so KC901V can live a little bit longer by resting. if i still havent make the order today, comparing price $100+ V2+4 and $60+ V2+ i still think i will choose V2+ for the price, i dont need much as KC901V is there standing by if V2+ cant make the work. i will look forward to the 6+ GHz version if price is affordable maybe i can get another one if spec is better.

i just wish this V2+ FW onward can be extended to more points like 500 or 1000+ on the standalone LCD, i dont care if it scans slow, i can choose lesser points if need faster. more abilities like this means more value for money, enough mumbling, fwiw.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #267 on: October 18, 2020, 12:26:15 pm »
Which parts do i have to change to transform my V2_2 to V2+?

Will there be a cheaper "no display/no battery" version with a fully closed case of the +4?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #268 on: October 18, 2020, 03:30:31 pm »
i bought it as NanoVNA V2 Plus. i guess what i have is V2+ (V2_2) HW with latest FW (sept 2020) meant for V2+4? not sure... maybe mine is pilot unit for testing V2+4.

I think, all NanoVNA V2 goes to 4.4Ghz (upper limit of the ADF4350). But the Plus4 should do a better job between 3-4Ghz.

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #269 on: October 23, 2020, 02:50:47 pm »
The NanoVNA V2 Plus4 arrived via DHL.  The packing was marginal ... it came in a flimsy bag and in the bag was a flimsy box with a hole punched in it (see photo).  The hole was obviously made by one of the SMA connectors.

Calibration was not achieved (erratic results) with the included blue cables, so I tried some that I had on hand and that was successful.  Looking closely at the blue cables shows that the SMA center pin is recessed over 1 mm.  What is the specification for the center pin location?

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #270 on: October 23, 2020, 03:46:12 pm »
When screwing in the SMA female-female adapter make sure to not rotate the adapter barrel, only ever rotate the male nut on the coax cable. Try a one port calibration on both of the cables, that will tell you if one cable is bad or if it's something else.
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

The following users thanked this post: Grandchuck

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #271 on: October 24, 2020, 10:23:28 am »
Mine just arrived (11 days to London by "slow" SF Express shipping, not bad and no customs charges either!), packaged exactly the same and with a hole in the exact same spot (though only through the inner layer of cardboard, the outside wasn't breached). A little bit more packaging and the next size up of box wouldn't have hurt.

As for operation it seems to calibrate and work fine from _very_ limited testing. Screen and resistive touchscreen is less horrible than I feared (though good it's not smaller), and I like the no-nonsense case - was worth waiting for this version to drop even if it cost a fair bit more. Happy so far, now just need to find some stuff to measure/use/test it on :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:24:54 pm by Hydron »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: October 24, 2020, 07:54:29 pm »
Looking at the tracking, mine made it to the USA and past customs.  It looks like I chose the slow shipping as well.  I'm in the same boat and need to come up with something to test with it.   I plan to start with the DCish stuff to compare it with my original Nano.  I would like to measure some small power amplifiers but am waiting for some parts to repair a "working" ebay attenuator.   May go over the crystal filters as well.    Looking forward to seeing what OwO's team has come up with.

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #273 on: October 24, 2020, 09:21:30 pm »
Another note is that while I was planning on stealing a 18650 cell from a surplus pack, it seems that the vaping parts suppliers have a good range of single cells available cheaply with free shipping, so for 4 quid I've ordered what is allegedly the same cell that the HCXQS group include on DHL shipments. Will report back if it seems legit. Unit is running off USB in the meantime. I think I have some learning to do about how to use a VNA now!

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2020, 09:35:30 pm »
Mine arrived on Thursday no holes in box - it came in a DHL bag with the box lose inside.  Because I chose the DHL shipping, I got a free 18650 battery fitted. I really like the metal case.  It didn't come with stick-on feet so I added 4 from spares I had.

I tested it a bit yesterday.  It calibrates up just fine and I compared a wide band antenna with readings on the V2 and the V2 Plus - they look identical.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf