Author Topic: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2  (Read 92614 times)

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2020, 03:17:14 pm »
I’m looking forward to the release of V2 plus4. Will you let us know when it’s available?
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2020, 03:25:09 pm »
woo I'm clearly not following, I thought the V2_2 was the latest and greatest. Ordered one yesterday  :palm:
yup announcement today, i bought few days ago :palm: i'll see what i can upgrade...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2020, 04:16:28 pm »
V2_2 is the newest hardware revision right now, all the "plus" versions will take at least several more weeks. I can provide info about how to convert V2_2 to plus if you DM me, although conversion to plus4 isn't possible because the circuit design has been reworked.
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer, cdev, mikeydread, Kosmic

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2020, 08:29:34 am »
OwO, please let us know when the V2 plus4 it is released, but I am happy to wait longer before buying from Tindie to ensure all testing has been completed so there are hardware no bugs or weaknesses. Also, thanks heaps for being an excellent contributor to the VNA discussions.

I have access to a MegiQ VNA0460E periodically. I intend to do a comparison test into the same loads.

The following users thanked this post: ducus

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2020, 12:40:55 pm »
I have to say, I have had more "fun" and probably spent more time using my NanoVNA 2.2 than any of my other electronic instruments except my main DMM (UT-61e) and perhaps scope. (old Tek 2211) Because the scope is so bulky, probably more than that too.

I still dont have it working 100% properly when connecting up to my computer on Linux, it appears to be a permissions problem, as I can only run it as root, which is a PITA. I'm on Debian 10. I should see if I can run it on my RaspberryPi. Is anybody else having this problem? I shouldnt have to write a udev rule, should I? I have tried a lot of different udev incantations but have not gotten it right.

When not running under sudo the software starts but doesn't see the device, even though its connected, when lauched via sudo it works fine.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:47:15 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2020, 12:57:37 pm »
Make sure your user is in the dialout group "sudo adduser your_username dialout"
You need to log out and back in for it to take effect.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2020, 01:18:51 pm »
Yes, I am a member of dialout and that hasn't fixed it!

Usually this situation requires creation of a udev rule, and Ive tried to come up with the right rule, failed, and then deleted udev rules so that I could implement the right solution. Still have not found it.

Nor have I found the log that gives me the info I need either. Should revisit it now that I know more about the NanoVNA2's normal operation. I prefer using it tethered when I can, as then I can take screenshots, etc.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:22:56 pm by cdev »

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: October 04, 2020, 10:43:28 am »
Hey OwO,

Any news?
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline gizmo5418

« Reply #233 on: October 06, 2020, 01:18:28 pm »
Hi,
...Usually this situation requires creation of a udev rule, and Ive tried to come up with the right rule, failed, ...

You need to create a udev rule with content:
Code: [Select]
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idProduct}=="0008", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b4", MODE="0666"Put this content in a file named e.g. 99-nanovna-v2.rules in the path /etc/udev/rules.d/
Then you have to reload the udev rules:
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
sudo udevadm trigger
or restart your computer.
Now you can communicate with nanovna from the normal user level.

Regards, Pawel
Sorry for my English. I am using google translator.....
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 01:20:51 pm by gizmo5418 »

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #234 on: October 06, 2020, 11:18:01 pm »
Your English is fine.

But there is something wrong with my computer's cofiguration that I need to fix to get this working. I probably need to approach this more methodically.

NanoVNA saver works without the fix, so I know it can work, however NanoVNA saver crashes on my machine and the Chinese software works and is stable, just requires to be run using sudo or it launches part way, but doesnt see the VNA. So parts of the interface dont respond.

It fails to handshake with the vNA.

Hi,
...Usually this situation requires creation of a udev rule, and Ive tried to come up with the right rule, failed, ...

You need to create a udev rule with content:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idProduct}=="0008", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b4", MODE="0666"Put this content in a file named e.g. 99-nanovna-v2.rules in the path /etc/udev/rules.d/
Then you have to reload the udev rules:
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
sudo udevadm trigger
or restart your computer.
Now you can communicate with nanovna from the normal user level.

Regards, Pawel
Sorry for my English. I am using google translator.....

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #235 on: October 07, 2020, 11:40:44 am »
Apologies if this is obvious, but have you looked at the actual group/permissions assigned?
ls -l /dev/ttyACM*
Anyway, if I understand correctly that NanoVNA saver can connect successfully without root, so this doesn't point to a permissions problem (unless it is something more subtle involving AppArmor).

It might also be worth checking if something else tries to connect to the device and messes things up, e.g. ModemManager likes to talk to anything that looks like a serial port.
So maybe try to disable it before plugging the NanoVNA in and see if that changes anything
sudo systemctl stop ModemManager
More generally, check immediately after plugging it in if anything is trying to use it
lsof /dev/ttyACM*

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2020, 01:31:37 pm »
i received my nanovna v2+ from HCXQS group (tindie) today. i ordered with solt and cables option, but they sent the whitish plastic enclosure as well thumbs up. for the solt, load is comparable or similar performance to my Kirby's load to 7GHz, the open and short standards are significantly different though. for the cable, its good all the way to 7GHz, much better than the used 12" Huber Suhner cables that i bought for about the same price as this nanovna set. so what i basically got is $70+ incl shipping of 2x 12" 7GHz cables with FREE SOLT and a working new NanoVNA unit ::)... i havent test the nanovna itself yet, having trouble to understand how it works, which button to start sweep or cal etc. and which one is port1 and port2. need to read manual first. fwiw...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2020, 11:11:14 pm »
It would be great if you could run an isolation test on it and post the data in the other thread (just to keep it in one place).   I would also be interested in seeing any other comparisons you come up with. 

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2020, 07:20:23 am »
Will there be a cheaper NanoVNA V2+4 without the 4" display and with a completly closed case? Im using my V2_2 without the display as PC based device. But the +4 would be better with case, USB B and so on...

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2020, 07:24:03 am »
I ordered a V2 +4 from the Tindie store yesterday. I'm excited, this will be quite a step up from the V2+, in terms of usability and performance.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2020, 10:38:09 am »
I too just ordered a V2 +4 from the Tindie store, I will be selling my V2 Plus that has been upgraded to a 4 inch display upgrade; if anyone is interested, PM me.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: October 15, 2020, 02:05:37 pm »
It would be great if you could run an isolation test on it and post the data in the other thread (just to keep it in one place).   I would also be interested in seeing any other comparisons you come up with. 
i'm still struggling to understand it.. i want log vertical scale on resistance and reactance but i still cant find where the option is.. i got used to KC901V (and i guess every other brand name VNA out there) that we can see R and X all values all in one screen nicely in log scale with 50 ohm at the center, 0 ohm at bottom and inf ohm at the top.. currently i need to keep changing the linear vertical scale if i want to see short, 50 ohm and Hi resistance. sometime traces and freq range lose control, changed setting and other weird stuffs when i play with side menu... anyone can give a hint?

I will be selling my V2 Plus that has been upgraded to a 4 inch display upgrade
i thought of upgrading to 4" display earlier, but i still can see most of the things on the bundled small screen, so i think i will not make an upgrade soon. btw, the sweep speed is comparable to my KC901V, not too slow, so i'm quite happy already with it. but sometime less resolution plot (many straight lines).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:12:22 pm by Mechatrommer »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2020, 09:57:09 pm »
My old eyes couldn't cope with the tiny fonts on the 3.2" display, the 4" version is just fine.  I like that I'll get an extra 800 MHz with a top frequency of 4 GHz.

I also am happy to get a SOLT kit and metal case with the new one.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: October 16, 2020, 12:02:07 am »
I like that I'll get an extra 800 MHz with a top frequency of 4 GHz.
(reading back this thread from start) the one with me titled V2 Plus, but OwO mentioned in reply #234 above (after i made the order) that V2 Plus is not released yet, so i'm confused now... my pcb is V2_2 same as yours but the FW is git-20200707-2a35e6e can go from 10kHz up to 4.4GHz, so i'm curious what you meant by you need extra 800MHz with a top frequency of 4 GHz? mine can go beyond that. maybe you still using old FW? upgrading FW will enable 10kHz-4.4GHz i guess (spec (old FW?) 50kHz - 3GHz).

edit: bug report... if we enable more than one marker... moving them past center will make frequency label negative (jump from 2GHz to -2GHz) and moving down in magnitude as we continue to the right (bigger frequency) until near end, they become zero and positive again, something like 50-100MHz at rightmost, where actual span is 10kHz-4.4GHz (they should show 4.4GHz). i believe this was mentioned earlier by a member here..
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 12:52:02 am by Mechatrommer »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: October 16, 2020, 10:09:20 am »
I like that I'll get an extra 800 MHz with a top frequency of 4 GHz.
(reading back this thread from start) the one with me titled V2 Plus, but OwO mentioned in reply #234 above (after i made the order) that V2 Plus is not released yet, so i'm confused now... my pcb is V2_2 same as yours but the FW is git-20200707-2a35e6e can go from 10kHz up to 4.4GHz, so i'm curious what you meant by you need extra 800MHz with a top frequency of 4 GHz? mine can go beyond that. maybe you still using old FW? upgrading FW will enable 10kHz-4.4GHz i guess (spec (old FW?) 50kHz - 3GHz).

edit: bug report... if we enable more than one marker... moving them past center will make frequency label negative (jump from 2GHz to -2GHz) and moving down in magnitude as we continue to the right (bigger frequency) until near end, they become zero and positive again, something like 50-100MHz at rightmost, where actual span is 10kHz-4.4GHz (they should show 4.4GHz). i believe this was mentioned earlier by a member here..
I understand that it's possible to make my V2 into a V2 Plus by changing 3 components and applying a new firmware; I might still do that but, for now, I would rather just move to the latest hardware and sell my V2 with 4 inch display to someone for $75.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: October 16, 2020, 05:34:30 pm »
fwiw.. i converted the online manual into pdf (attached zip) i believe this will not violate anything on OwO's side. it was quick editing for what i needed, feel free to poke me if there need corrections, if you want to edit yourself i can provide the master copy in docx (840KB zipped). i got dizzy easily reading flat screened format, no bookmarks to go back and forth etc. if needed i will print this in much more logical "paged" way and learn NanoVNA peacefully without a cpu fan running. edit: i corrected some formatting and added pages' number (here is version E2)

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #246 on: October 16, 2020, 06:06:45 pm »
Is this the latest version of the product, or is there something newer/better?

What's the chance this might become available on Amazon?

Thx

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #247 on: October 16, 2020, 08:33:18 pm »
thats the clone, performance not guaranteed by OwO. you can join here if you want... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/4-inch-display-saa-2n-nanovna-v2-3ghz-with-n-type/?topicscreen

Thanks

What are the ear markings of the clone vs. the OwO product?  (How can you tell the difference?)

Any idea if/when the OwO product might be for sale on Amazon?

Thx again

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #248 on: October 16, 2020, 10:12:15 pm »
if you read this and the other thread, you'll know the original V2 version by OwO only sold in Tindie only, thats the problem...

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: October 16, 2020, 11:26:35 pm »
trap for young player. we need to calibrate completely all SOLT and save to make S21 plot works, we cant just calibrate the T alone, otherwise S21 plot will go wacky... this is not the case with my KC901V. attached is S21 noise floor (uncalibrated and calibrated).. so comparing the 2N unit (Hugen) from another member in the other thread side by side with my unit (OwO)...

uncalibrated..

calibrated...

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:32:18 pm by Mechatrommer »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf