Author Topic: Energy Concepts Oscilloscope  (Read 10648 times)

Offline Mr. CoffeeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Energy Concepts Oscilloscope
« on: May 06, 2014, 01:07:44 pm »
Hi, all,
I bought an Energy Concepts model 30820, 20MHz, 2-channel solid state oscilloscope at an antique radio and electronics club auction on Saturday. It looks like it was made early to mid 1970s--just guessing by the general styling and functions.

The thing works perfectly and the calibration seems to be dead on, on both channels...Surprise!
It came with a power cord but I had to provide the probes. $10 USD. It has a X5 magnification on both channels for both X and Y, and also an "add" function, which is nice. Standard 1 megohm inputs.

Pretty nice scope for $10. I can see on the internet that the company is still around and they apparently make "rugged for the classroom" test equipment and I see a few of these scopes for sale on eBay in the USA...other than that, I know nothing about them. Never heard of them.

Can anyone fill me in on them--just out of curiosity?
I would also like to find a downloadable operation and service manual. I haven't found any yet. I can post a picture later if you want.

Thanks!

cheers
Rob

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: Energy Concepts Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:08:35 pm »
If ot isbuilt like their power spplies, simple, uses common components, rather rugged(They feel like they are for training/ education markets.) Post up some pics, hopefully it doesn't use those horrible ganged push button switches.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 11:14:09 am »
I'll take some pictures.

cheers
Rob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:48:25 pm »
Here ya go...not bad considering it was $10 USD and works perfectly and is in calibration before I touched it:

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 06:51:31 am »
That is in really good shape, teardown possibly.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline SArepairman

• Frequent Contributor
  • wannabee bit hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 12:35:13 pm »
i may have used that in a university physics lab. it works.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 01:15:43 pm »
That is in really good shape, teardown possibly.
If something breaks I will take a stab at it, but I'm using as is right now. I usually give an inpection and clean the switches and pots, but there is no evidence that they are even dirty on this unit. I believe whomever had it before was using it regularly and keeping up on maintenance and calibration as needed. Much of the merchandise at this auction was estate sale sourced.

i may have used that in a university physics lab. it works.
Possibly. They seems to be intended for classroom labs.
I still wish I could find a manual...

Offline Marc M.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:25:44 pm »
... I can see on the internet that the company is still around and they apparently make "rugged for the classroom" test equipment and I see a few of these scopes for sale on eBay in the USA...other than that, I know nothing about them. Never heard of them.

Can anyone fill me in on them...

I don't know a lot about them, but can provide a couple of insights.  I have manuals for their FET Multimeter 30000/30120, Sine/Square/RF Generator 40500/40520, and Combination AC/DC Power Supply 20900/20920.  For some reason, only the generator and power supply manuals have schematics in them.  The introduction page of each manual has a short blurb signed by none other than "William C. DeVry - President, Energy Concepts Inc. - Co-Founder DeVry Technical Institute" (Wikipedia credits Herman A. DeVry as the cofounder  :-//).  For those outside of the U.S., DeVry Institute is a for-profit "technical school"  with around 60 schools scattered across the US.  There's an entry for DeVry on Wikipedia for more info.  Presumably Mr. DeVry started ECI in 1955 to supply 'student hardened' gear to DeVry Tech., other vocational schools, high schools, etc.  I found it a little ironic that when I went to DeVry in the early 80's, they didn't have a single piece of ECI gear.  Each student had to build a 'lab trainer' which consisted of a breadboard, +\- 15vdc & 5vdc fixed power supply, 6.3/12.6 AC supply, and a function generator.  The unit is labeled Bell & Howell Education Group.  Bell & Howell acquired DeVry in 1966 so the trainer makes sense.  I still use the thing today for prototyping small stuff that I may be working on outside of my home lab.  It was the most useful thing I got out of DeVry  ::)

Regarding the ECI equipment, it was relatively robust but certainly not bullet-proof.  Performance isn't stellar but good enough for it's intended purpose.  I still have the power supply on the bench (30+ years) although I rarely use it now.  It still works fine.   A friend of mine managed to blow up the FET multimeter by probing the 800 vdc plate voltage on a string of 6LQ6's in an amplifier while it was set to ohms  :palm:.  I didn't use the generator very much because I had other/better generators.  The last time I powered it up (maybe 10 years ago), it didn't work very well due to the crappy ganged switches they used (that another post referred to) needing a lot of cleaning - didn't bother.  Manuals appear to be very difficult to come by.  I still have the original manuals that came with mine way back in the early 80's.  I've had a few folks contact me for copies of the manuals after ECI ignored their requests so you likely won't find any joy there.
Don't replace the cap, just empty the filter!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 02:45:43 am »
Thanks Marc.
That's interesting.

I guess for $10 if it blows up...who cares?  :-//  I have been using it and am happy to have it, though I have a few other decent scopes. This is one I can spill wood stain on and no worrries.

cheers
Rob

Offline ReaDave

• Audio Engineer and Electronics Tech
    • Synthesizers.Audio
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 12:48:30 pm »
I just bit the bullet and purchased one of these from ebay for US$49 (postage was lower than most other scopes from USA to Australia too even though it was more than the scope) and am wondering if anyone has managed to find service data for them?

The seller I purchased from has very good feedback and has sold three of the same model previously to happy customers. The photo's showed the two traces lit up quite brightly but without a signal connected. I figured it was worth the chance given previous feedback and the good condition of the unit.

My main purpose for this particular scope will be general purpose audio design and repair, power supply work and low frequency logic so it should be more than adequate.

Here's the listing .... http://www.ebay.com/itm/231493788327?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was SO CLOSE to grabbing a Tektronix 7704A with four plugins included earlier today too but unfortunately, my budget didn't stretch that far. It looks to be in very good condition too. If anyone is interested, that listing is still going and currently has one bid.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/291392750265?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 02:37:43 am »
I never found any service information for mine, either.

Offline orbanp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 03:00:13 pm »
Hello Rob,

I guess I am bit late to reply, but I just came across your posting.
In case you still have the scope here is some info that might help you.

Your scope looks just like my Iwatsu SS-5702 scope.
I suspect it is just a different sticker on it.
The scope is more like early '80s.

The manual is available on the web, but I also have my original manual.
If you can not find it, as free stuff seems to go away these days, and replaced by all sorts of "downloading programs", send a PM, I can send you the manual.

I also got my scope in the early '80s, second hand, but it was barely used, only about a year old. The guy originally paid about C$850.00 for it, I still have the original bill of sale.

The scope has been working fine ever since, only thing is that lately sometimes I have to exercise the AC/DC/GND lever at the input.
Now I have other scopes as well, but this scope is still on the bench!

Regards, Peter
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:11:13 pm by orbanp »

The following users thanked this post: quadrant

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf