Author Topic: Suggestions on buying scope probes?  (Read 16349 times)

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Suggestions on buying scope probes?
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 12:12:18 pm »
Wow! I did not expect so many responses! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up buying two brand new Agilent 10074D 150 MHz 10:1 passive probes off eBay for $37 USD each. Two day shipping for $4, too. (not bad!)

Good choice; I have a pair of 10074Cs and so does the local Hackspace.

The only limitations I've found are those inherent in all 10* "high impedance" probe:
  • they aren't high impedance; they are 100ohms(!) reactive at 100MHz
  • if you use the 6"/150mm ground lead, a digital signal will ring at ~100MHz
The second point can be cured with a simple homebrew attachment, see https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/scope-probe-accessory-improves-signal-fidelity/

The first point can be cured by either an expensive fragile active probe, or a cheap robust "low impedance Z0" probe with >1GHz bandwidth and 500ohms or 1000ohms impedance. They can also be quickly homebrewed, which can be an advantage if you discover you need several. See the "homebrey/diy" section in https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/

Indeed, although the "new" Tek probes such as the 250MHz TPP0250 are 3.9pF, (400 ohms @100MHz) and it shows. Problem with these probes is that they only work with certain compatible Tek scopes as the compensation is performed inside the scope, not on the probe.

Offline dan3460

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 02:02:41 pm »
Any suggestions for buying a probe (or modifying one) to work on a Tek 2460, the originals 10X have a little pin that tells the scope this. I bought this scope (non functioning) for $20, it hurts to pay $60 - $80 for a used probe.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 06:56:47 pm »
Any suggestions for buying a probe (or modifying one) to work on a Tek 2460, the originals 10X have a little pin that tells the scope this. I bought this scope (non functioning) for $20, it hurts to pay $60 - $80 for a used probe.
There are threads here that describe how to mod probes AND the resistor values needed for your scope to recognize the correct attenuation needed.
But to find them.  :palm:

Hopefully other members will come to your rescue.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 07:16:24 pm »
As others have said, the cheap TP6100 probes available on eBay are very good for the price and more than adequate for your scope.

See THIS THREAD for details.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 11:21:14 pm »
Couple of threads on this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/'spoofing'-a-tektronix-x10-readout-pin/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/automatic-probe-attenuation-setting-just-a-resistor-(tektronix-tds320)/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 11:44:55 am »

I just picked up a pair of Agilent 1165A 600MHz passive probes for $76 total. These have the standard 11k Hi-Z 10X readout pin compatible with both Tek and HP/Agilent/Keysight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Agilent-1165A-Passive-Probes-QTY-2-New-Unused-/151837366588

If you're patient, you can pick up reasonable deals. Remember to check the compensation range of any probes you do buy is compatible with your scope though! In addition, there seems to be an increasing incidence of vendor lock in on probes and scopes these days, and although the scopes may have BNC connectors, they are sometimes recessed and so won't physically take some probes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf