Author Topic: Bad continuity test? Crappy probes to blame?!  (Read 1812 times)

Offline jaffersTopic starter

Bad continuity test? Crappy probes to blame?!
« on: November 03, 2016, 12:36:26 am »

Didn't really know where to put this but I thought it was interesting.

Perhaps we shouldn't be giving DMM's a bad wrap for their continuity test and instead for their probes? Might be worth attention in future reviews

Offline jaffersTopic starter

Re: Bad continuity test? Crappy probes to blame?!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:43:14 am »

Also shootout of 50 buck meters

TL;DR  Probes can make a huge difference but it's still worth testing the continuity

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 01:03:31 am »
Welcome to the forum.   :)

Yes, these videos have been posted here before a couple of times and if you are not sure then you can copy the Youtube video url and use the forums search feature, you can even have a set of leads that work just fine in a number of other meters and then for no apparent reason start having problems with the same leads in a different meter, this drove me nuts recently and I documented it in the supporters lounge, hadn't experienced it before and it turned out to be just a compatibility issue between a particular set of leads and a new meter that I bought.

steverino

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 03:08:27 am »
I just recently ran into the problem of defective mulitmeter probes.  I purchased a Fluke 87V couple years back but haven't really used it much since i have a bench top unit I mainly use.  Used it to test some low ohm resistors and discovered that that my readings were >2ohms off.  Turns out the resistance on one of the fluke leads was the culprit.  I isolated it down to the probe itself.  I carefully cut away the molded plastic to expose  where the probe tip is  connected to the lead wire, hoping to isolate where the resistance was coming from.  Of course, after exposing the wire/tip junction, the resistance went away and I really didn't learn the exact cause.  The wire/tip connection is crimp only, no solder.  Replaced them with the Probemaster probes which have a combination crimp/solder connection.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf