Author Topic: MSO5074 vs DSOX1204A  (Read 15552 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: MSO5074 vs DSOX1204A
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2020, 05:57:32 pm »
Oh, and I forgot: there is also the "I bought it so it must be good" effect.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline luma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2020, 06:01:25 pm »
I was more going for the "I own and operate one regularly and thus might have an opinion informed by experience" but you take it as you will.

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2020, 06:05:09 pm »
I was more going for the "I own and operate one regularly and thus might have an opinion informed by experience" but you take it as you will.
Without any information on what your previous experience is, which other oscilloscopes you owned, investigated, tested, etc owning one doesn't go much beyond 'everything looks like a nail if you only have a hammer'. But don't worry; I've been there too. FYI: several forum members have sold their MSO5074 (likely with a loss of money) and switched to a Siglent oscilloscope.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:07:12 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2020, 06:33:21 pm »
It is a matter of taste, not features.  I had the DS1054Z, MSO5074, GW-Instek 1054, Siglent SDS1104X-E, Micsig TO1104, Micsig TO1102, EDUX1002G (modded to DSOX1102G), DSOX2004A, DSOX3004A, MSO3014T... I sold them all and currently I have the KS EDUX1054A (modding to DSOX1202G) and the Micsig TO1102.  The micsig gives me portability, the Keysight an almost bug free and very responsive UI and amazing serial decoding.  I was waiting for the Siglent SDS2104X plus but cancelled the order after careful evaluation that I don't need to spend $1400 to get a similar experience to SDS1104X-E.

If I ever need 4 channels, I can combine both scopes and use the trigger out on the micsig to trigger the KS and analyze 4 channels... if I need more, then I can add a logic analyzer to the equation (I work mostly with digital circuits).

For me, the scope itself is an experiment, so I came back to the EDUX1052A because I like to do the HW modding.

In my opinion, the vast majority of scope users do not use all the features.  I recently encountered serious serial protocol trigger issues on the SDS1104X-E (when I reported the bug it was on UART, but the other day I was trying to trigger on SPI and it does not work neither) and it has been like that for the last 2-3 releases of the firmware, what makes me conclude that most people just use the scope for basic stuff, probably 99% on edge trigger and look for rise and fall events.

Conclusion: buy what you like the best with the money you can afford and don't ask for comments and opinion, unless you have a very specific use case and ask others for how a specific scope handles it.

If you are worried about customer service, then go for the KS as Keysight and Keysight_DanielBogdanoff will take care of you... good luck if you need anything from Rigol or Siglent (Well, tautech will help you, but it is a non-official limited assistance and cannot control what your local Siglent rep will do)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:48:35 pm by TK »

The following users thanked this post: electricMN, stafil

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2020, 09:20:16 pm »

Unlike many of your interventions, this one really sucks and is useless.

You have a respectable amount of knowledge, much more than mine,  and thank you for sharing it.
But we are talking about a scope at 900$.
There is not much alternative at this price range, even now, almost 2 years after its release.
Everyone has different needs. Insignificant things for some may be very important for others.
I have waited a long time for the Siglent SDS2000X+ but I consider for an everyday scope that shared vertical control is  prohibitive even with a touchdisplay. It is just me, my usage, my choice.

Yes, when buying a Rigol, you have to remember that time is relative in regards to time to fix bugs.
But once again,  what function or what bug makes this device unusable?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2020, 09:32:05 pm »
Plus I wish I had a dollar for every time nctnico recommended that someone buy GW-Instek.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Mr. Scram

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2020, 09:34:56 pm »
It is a matter of taste, not features.  I had the DS1054Z, MSO5074, GW-Instek 1054, Siglent SDS1104X-E, Micsig TO1104, Micsig TO1102, EDUX1002G (modded to DSOX1102G), DSOX2004A, DSOX3004A, MSO3014T... I sold them all and currently I have the KS EDUX1054A (modding to DSOX1202G) and the Micsig TO1102.  The micsig gives me portability, the Keysight an almost bug free and very responsive UI and amazing serial decoding.  I was waiting for the Siglent SDS2104X plus but cancelled the order after careful evaluation that I don't need to spend $1400 to get a similar experience to SDS1104X-E.

If I ever need 4 channels, I can combine both scopes and use the trigger out on the micsig to trigger the KS and analyze 4 channels... if I need more, then I can add a logic analyzer to the equation (I work mostly with digital circuits).

For me, the scope itself is an experiment, so I came back to the EDUX1052A because I like to do the HW modding.

In my opinion, the vast majority of scope users do not use all the features.  I recently encountered serious serial protocol trigger issues on the SDS1104X-E (when I reported the bug it was on UART, but the other day I was trying to trigger on SPI and it does not work neither) and it has been like that for the last 2-3 releases of the firmware, what makes me conclude that most people just use the scope for basic stuff, probably 99% on edge trigger and look for rise and fall events.

Conclusion: buy what you like the best with the money you can afford and don't ask for comments and opinion, unless you have a very specific use case and ask others for how a specific scope handles it.

If you are worried about customer service, then go for the KS as Keysight and Keysight_DanielBogdanoff will take care of you... good luck if you need anything from Rigol or Siglent (Well, tautech will help you, but it is a non-official limited assistance and cannot control what your local Siglent rep will do)

I'm just curious. When you bought a Ferrari, what made you want to go back to a Fiat?

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2020, 09:44:35 pm »
Plus I wish I had a dollar for every time nctnico recommended that someone buy GW-Instek.
I bought one based on his recommendation... sold it after I played with it for a couple of days... UI is responsive, but the screen looks like an old Rigol DS1052E.  I don't know if LCD has lower resolution or it is poorly designed.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2020, 09:54:04 pm »

I'm just curious. When you bought a Ferrari, what made you want to go back to a Fiat?
For you, which one is the Ferrari and which one the Fiat?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2020, 10:01:30 pm »

The Ferrari is obviously the Rigol MSO3014T and the Fiat is any of the others.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2020, 10:03:24 pm »
An interesting comparison, for a long time Fiat owned Ferrari and many interchangeable parts had Ferrari and Fiat part numbers.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2020, 10:14:24 pm »
"He's just recommending "the best option" and if you say otherwise it must be a personal vendetta."  ::) I wouldn't care as much if it wasn't for the fact that the skewed and dishonest information is really unfair to newcomers. I don't understand the motivation either. Some of the resellers shilling their own kit I can understand but I don't think he has skin in the game. Then again, the internet is full of people going to war over choices and options of no consequence to them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:29:44 pm by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2020, 10:27:31 pm »
An interesting comparison, for a long time Fiat owned Ferrari and many interchangeable parts had Ferrari and Fiat part numbers.

Yes i know that but I love to much electronics and cars to compare scope with Dacia
I just wanted to know why after buying maybe the most powerful everyday scope on the market, go for a low end line, b-brand or cheapest one?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 10:33:55 pm by jemangedeslolos »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2020, 10:32:53 pm »
"He's just recommending "the best option" and if you say otherwise it must be a personal vedetta."  ::) I wouldn't care as much if it wasn't for the fact that the skewed and dishonest information is really unfair to newcomers. I don't understand the motivation either. Some of the resellers shilling their own kit I can understand but I don't think he has skin in the game. Then again, the internet is full of people going to war over choices and options of no consequence to them.
Back to your personal vendetta again. And now calling me a liar too.  :palm: As usual: if you cared to read back then you can see I recommend 3 different options within the budget.

Unlike many of your interventions, this one really sucks and is useless.
This is me sharing some of my life lessons here looking back at past purchases. How I felt about them at first, how I felt about them later on and trying to objectively quantify the reasons why I still felt it was a good buy later on for some instruments, why not for other instruments and how to avoid being dissapointed in the future. Avoiding the "I bought it so it must be good" mental state is a large part of staying open to other suggestions.

A simple example: You assume the Ferrari is the MSO3014T. After owning one of it's predecessors I wouldn't even though I'd assume the touch screen will make it easier to use compared to the knobs-only version. I can understand TK's reasoning which made him end up where he is now.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 10:42:45 pm by nctnico »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2020, 11:22:26 pm »
Back to your personal vendetta again. And now calling me a liar too.  :palm: As usual: if you cared to read back then you can see I recommend 3 different options within the budget.
I called it, although I wish I didn't. I guess Gandalf_Sr is waging a completely separate "personal" vendetta? I don't care about you or your personal beliefs, but I do care about the noise incessantly pushing a brand creates. Especially considering it often concerns newcomers who are especially susceptibility to skewed and coloured information. What's going on is blatantly obvious to any of the regulars and obfuscating your behaviour a bit by sprinkling in other brands while still recommending GW-Instek doesn't change much. I expect you to vehemently disagree so why not prove us wrong? Don't just say we've got it all wrong, show us by omitting GW-Instek recommendations for a bit. You won't hear a peep out of me.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2020, 11:31:14 pm »

I got a good deal, test drove it, then sold it for a reasonable profit because it is a lot of money to have sitting on a hobby bench.  For me, the KS 1200X scope drives like a BMW... the Rigol feels like driving a 5-ton truck with a Fiat 600 engine

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2020, 08:36:47 am »

I got a good deal, test drove it, then sold it for a reasonable profit because it is a lot of money to have sitting on a hobby bench.  For me, the KS 1200X scope drives like a BMW... the Rigol feels like driving a 5-ton truck with a Fiat 600 engine

;D

I understand a little better now.
I imagined that you had bought MSO3014T new, at full price, lost a little money when resell it.... and ended up with the low end model.

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2020, 10:48:17 am »
A simple example: You assume the Ferrari is the MSO3014T. After owning one of it's predecessors I wouldn't even though I'd assume the touch screen will make it easier to use compared to the knobs-only version. I can understand TK's reasoning which made him end up where he is now.
I am currently using a MSOX4000 and previously had the 3000a series. So I know the direct comparison of two otherwise almost identical devices.
There are imho indeed only a few situations where a touchscreen has advantages:
· Selecting & moving a cursor
· Direct input of numbers (e.g. Holdoff time or generator frequency)
· Input of letters (On screen comments, labels).
· drawing a trigger window (seldom used)

My personal opinion: for almost everything else the operation with knobs/buttons is more suitable (if they exist).

Sure, you always see in the demo videos so nicely the shifting of waveforms, pinch-to-zoom etc. but in practice this is impractical and inaccurate and probably seldom used (as long you have knobs for it). And I always have to grin when in user videos they try to select and/or move a waveform or a trigger by touch and it doesn't work 3 times in a row ... and the user leaves it uncommented and pretends that nothing happened and he was just poking the screen for fun  ;D. This can be seen in almost every user video.

Though some of the newer scopes are reducing knobs and buttons as they need the space for the screen. Here you are almost forced to use the touch screen.
<rant>The car industry is moving in the same direction: they had this long evolved and smart large rotary push button in the centre console of the car for more than a decade. Now they are starting to get rid of it and force you to use a touch screen. EVERYBODY says the pushbutton solution was better and easier to use and can keep you eyes on the street instead the screen. But because it is much cheaper for the manufacturer, we are forced to use a worse alternative of an almost perfect solution. Grrr.</rant>
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:50:07 am by Pinkus »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2020, 01:04:36 pm »
I am currently using a MSOX4000 and previously had the 3000a series. So I know the direct comparison of two otherwise almost identical devices.

My personal opinion: for almost everything else the operation with knobs/buttons is more suitable (if they exist).

Sure, you always see in the demo videos so nicely the shifting of waveforms, pinch-to-zoom etc. but in practice this is impractical and inaccurate and probably seldom used (as long you have knobs for it). And I always have to grin when in user videos they try to select and/or move a waveform or a trigger by touch and it doesn't work 3 times in a row ... and the user leaves it uncommented and pretends that nothing happened and he was just poking the screen for fun  ;D. This can be seen in almost every user video.

Though some of the newer scopes are reducing knobs and buttons as they need the space for the screen. Here you are almost forced to use the touch screen.
<rant>The car industry is moving in the same direction: they had this long evolved and smart large rotary push button in the centre console of the car for more than a decade. Now they are starting to get rid of it and force you to use a touch screen. EVERYBODY says the pushbutton solution was better and easier to use and can keep you eyes on the street instead the screen. But because it is much cheaper for the manufacturer, we are forced to use a worse alternative of an almost perfect solution. Grrr.</rant>
Yes, using cursors on the Micsig touch scope is very easy, KS is my second favorite because you just turn the knob to select X1, X2 or X1-X2 and then turn the dedicated cursor knob, no need to click on the multi-function knob.  The Siglent is my least favorite as you need to push the knob after turning it, because the same knob is used for moving the cursor around.

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2020, 01:06:10 pm »
Hi folks!

Sorry for the usual this vs that question, but after spending a lot of hours reading the relevant threads, I only ended up getting confused more.

To start let me say that I am a complete new to electronics and this is just for hobby projects/experimenting. I have about $1200 max to blow on an oscilloscope. I know that for my use even the humble 1054z would be enough, but being a gearhead I decided to go with something "better".

I have narrowed it down to MSO5074 or DSOX1204A.

On one hand we have MSO5074 which is so much better in paper and cheaper. On the other hand I always appreciate reliability and accuracy over bugs and poor implementation, and from the posts I read about MSO5074 there seem to be a lot of bugs. And to be honest software bugs don't scare me as much as hardware bugs (i.e. the PLL bug of 1054z), assuming the vendor is committed to fixing their software bugs eventually.

Do you have any advice for me?

Go for the Keysight (G version) and you will not regret . You will see ...

The following users thanked this post: stafil

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2020, 01:48:04 pm »
Hi folks!

Sorry for the usual this vs that question, but after spending a lot of hours reading the relevant threads, I only ended up getting confused more.

To start let me say that I am a complete new to electronics and this is just for hobby projects/experimenting. I have about $1200 max to blow on an oscilloscope. I know that for my use even the humble 1054z would be enough, but being a gearhead I decided to go with something "better".

I have narrowed it down to MSO5074 or DSOX1204A.

On one hand we have MSO5074 which is so much better in paper and cheaper. On the other hand I always appreciate reliability and accuracy over bugs and poor implementation, and from the posts I read about MSO5074 there seem to be a lot of bugs. And to be honest software bugs don't scare me as much as hardware bugs (i.e. the PLL bug of 1054z), assuming the vendor is committed to fixing their software bugs eventually.

Do you have any advice for me?

Go for the Keysight (G version) and you will not regret . You will see ...
Only thing he'll see is how some people are galant with other people's money.. 

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2020, 02:03:37 pm »
I think It will be easy to find someone to take a picture using SPI serial decode on MSO5000. Gandalf_Sr is using his scope every day to debug his very clever logical probe project  8)
OK, this is really quick and dirty but I did test decoding on SPI and it seems just fine, I only tested at 1 MHz but it did exactly what I expected.

The following users thanked this post: jemangedeslolos, stafil

Offline jemangedeslolos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2020, 05:21:27 pm »

I agree with you on nealy everything...
The touchscreen is very useful but it's not a reason to remove buttons.
Even the cursors I move them with knobs, It's more precise and efficient.

But for holdoff, baudrate or zone triggering, a touchdisplay is really nice  8)
And touchscreen are often larger which must be admitted adds even more comfort.

The perfect combination is a touch screen with independent vertical control channel, dedicated knob for trigger, dedicated knob for decode etc etc

The following users thanked this post: stafil

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2020, 06:13:34 pm »
Not sure. If the cursors 'snap' to a trace then a touchscreen works really well. Even better than a knob. But it greatly depends on whether the touchscreen was added to the UI later on or the UI was build to support a touchscreen. IOW: wether a touchscreen works well or not greatly depends on how it is integrated into the UI. You can't make generalistic statements.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:18:39 pm by nctnico »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2020, 07:22:42 pm »
Not sure. If the cursors 'snap' to a trace then a touchscreen works really well. Even better than a knob. But it greatly depends on whether the touchscreen was added to the UI later on or the UI was build to support a touchscreen. IOW: wether a touchscreen works well or not greatly depends on how it is integrated into the UI. You can't make generalistic statements.
Indeed.

TK said this after experience only with X-E models:
The Siglent is my least favorite as you need to push the knob after turning it, because the same knob is used for moving the cursor around.
With 2kX Plus and 5kX models the overall UI is very different in that any feature when activated can be placed anywhere on the display with touch, mouse or even the virtual keyboard.
When limited to only front panel controls in the cheaper models usability choices are much constrained.

To remain on topic, discussion of entry level DSOs is not.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf