Author Topic: Rewire hospital-grade isolation transformer for use in DUT testing  (Read 1183 times)

Offline puterboyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rewire hospital-grade isolation transformer for use in DUT testing
« on: September 17, 2020, 03:54:03 am »
I bought a used Tripp-Lite IS500HG 500W hospital-grade isolation transformer.
I would like to convert it for electronics testing to float the hot and neutral when probing the 120V mains side of circuits with my scope...

Currently, the secondary outlet grounds, the secondary neutral, the chassis, and the input ground are all bonded together.
Specifically:

The secondary/output side looks as follows:

Secondary BLACK wire --> hot side of output outlets
Secondary WHITE wire --> neutral side of output outlets
Secondary GREEN wire --> output outlet ground, output outlet neutral, input plug ground, chassis

To convert this I know I need to unbond the secondary neutral from the common (and input) ground but I am puzzled by what this secondary GREEN wire is doing. It does not seem to be connected to any of the transformer windings or the core though it does emerge from the secondary side of the large transformer.

So which of these mods is correct:
1. Secondary GREEN wire --> output outlet ground, input plug ground, chassis (all bonded)
    Unbond secondary neutral from the above common ground

2. Secondary GREEN wire floating
    Output outlet ground, input plug ground chassis = bonded
    Unbond secondary neutral from the above common ground

3. Other?

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
Re: Rewire hospital-grade isolation transformer for use in DUT testing
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 05:27:27 am »
The green wire might be an electrostatic shield between primary and secondary. If that's the case, I'd leave it grounded.

The following users thanked this post: Decapitator

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 11:38:36 am »
All test equipment should be RCD protected if possible and as such their chassis or ground/earth wiring should be left unmodified to ensure the RCDs proper operation.

A bench isolation transformers secondary (for electronics testing) should be floating and not connected to ground/earth. The output ground/earth wire however is optional depending on how you will be using it. By using a ground lift plug directly on the output it's possible to exclude, include or move the ground/earth (in the DUT) as desired.

The output of an isolation transformer (or any device connected to it) will not be protected by an RCD. Both isolation transformers and RCDs do not circumvent the need to follow safe bench practices. It's best to use the one handed rule and treat all circuits as live until they are fully disconnected and deenergized.

When using an isolation transformer test only one device at a time and be mindful connecting test equipment leads, moving or reintroducing the ground/earth (i.e. with your test equipment) if you make a mistake you can create fault current paths through you or your equipment.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: Decapitator

Offline dan46n2

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 07:53:14 am »
Might want to check out this video, same transformer... 

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 12:04:51 pm »
Before you modify the wiring, you need to check what is the green secondary wire. It may be a center tap of the secondary. Then in order to do scope measurements on switch mode power supplies you need to disconnect it from the output socket PE and leave the output socket PE connected to input PE. If the green wire is some kind of shield with no galvanic connection to the secondary, you can leave it like it is.
When testing a switch mode power supply, it may be a good idea to include a light bulb as a resettable fuse, as mentioned in another thread here.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/diy-build-of-an-isolation-transformer/msg3230454/#msg3230454

Regards, Dieter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf