Author Topic: Data Precision 8200 not responding to GPIB commands - no errors  (Read 1204 times)

Offline bw2432Topic starter

Data Precision 8200 not responding to GPIB commands - no errors
« on: November 06, 2020, 07:59:20 pm »
Hello,

Newb here, so be gentle. I am attempting to control my DP 8200 remotely using GPIB commands on LabVIEW. I can scan the system in MAX and the instrument comes up. I can even write a short little sequence to send commands, but the DP doesn't respond to them. I found this older post that says I need to input all the zeros, but this does nothing. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/data-precision-8200-gpib/msg959404/#msg959404

I'm using the commands found here -http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/128.146.189.114/DataPrecision_8200_6.5_Digit_Calibrator_Service_Manual.pdf
They seem simple, but I cannot get it to work!  |O

My sequence consists of: Initialize system (with an address string of 0 for the controller) then a GPIB write command (address string=20, command=V1+07.00000, mode=0) then error out.

I have tried going through all the mode options, I have tried restructuring the command (less zeros, more zeros, no zeros, with " ", with \r, with \n). I'm feeling hopeless. Help please!

Offline kado

• Regular Contributor
Re: Data Precision 8200 not responding to GPIB commands - no errors
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 04:06:26 pm »
Hi,

do NOT set the decimal point inside the string!

Try for example: V1+0100000

That will give 1.00000 V output, i have just tested with my device.

Karsten

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 04:44:54 pm »
Wow! Its that simple. Okay, I'm going to give that a try when I'm back in the lab.

Thanks!
Brandi

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 03:22:01 pm »
Hi kado,

This did not work for me. May I ask how you were communicating with the machine - NI 488 communicator, GPIB or VISA? And if one of the latter two, what function were you using?

Thanks for everything!
Brand

Edit: I moved the instrument to a new set-up and I am having the same problem. It goes into remote mode when I scan. MAX recognizes the instrument (although it doesn't respond to the IDN query which I think is ok), but when I command it to lets say 50V...nothing. I have attached the simple VISA code I was using.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 05:06:10 pm by bw2432 »

Offline kado

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 06:12:08 pm »
Hi Brandi,

i use a Agilent USB to GPIB - Adapter #82357B (China Clone) and the Keysight Interactive IO which is in the Keysight Connection Expert Program.

I choose the correct GPIB Adr. from my DP 8200 in the Connection Expert Prog and the start the Interactive IO.

The Interactive IO let you type in commands directly in an command-line and choose to : Send Command OR Send & Read OR Read Response only.

Until now, i never use a program like python or NI´s software. But i stand by to try some sripts if you are succsessful with your project an like to share.

The DP 8200 only acts in listenig mode, you get no answer from *IDN? command for example. Only command lines beginning with V .... OR A .... following by the string with the correct syntax as mentioned above are exepted.

Let me know, when you are successful.

Karsten

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 01:57:55 pm »
Hi Karsten,

I'm still at it. Sigh

Did you by any chance change your dip switches from the factory settings? The manual says that the dip switches need to be in listening mode, but the diagram giving the specific configuration is missing.

Best,
Brandi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf