Author Topic: Microscope I need!  (Read 60023 times)

rotnoraj_kanungoe

Microscope I need!
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:28:05 pm »
WELCOME!!

For any 01005 SMT soldering stuff, I or in that case anyone need an EYE which can ZOOM good X.....??........ times than the one  bestowed upon to do a decent job...........

Yea, guys, it's the time to consider a Microscope...

My knowledge on the subject is very poor! Hence, I seek your aid in selecting one for me!

Is STEREO >> VIDEO, binocular over USB. What should be Latency factor then? Zoom factor?
what is barlow lens? Any co-relation between barlow lenses and range? What is IMO zoom?

Which product has what features...

hmmm...... jarring words!!  :-// Only Tech guys can rescue us. So, pl help! 

Price not a constraint!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My other blog/s:
Multimeter review: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/%27professional-multimeter-on-table-top%27/msg735449/#msg735449

Buying FLUKE meters: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/where-to-buy-genuine-fluke-multimeter/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:15:22 am by rotnoraj_kanungoe »

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Microscope I need!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 04:40:45 pm »
You probably can't do better than a Mantis.  Search the forum; you'll find lots of posts.

rotnoraj_kanungoe

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 07:41:18 pm »
Which is a better angle to work??
pl Rate 1,2,3
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:53:51 am by rotnoraj_kanungoe »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 08:27:54 pm »
This is what I currently use and can fully recommend: http://www.bresser.de/en/Microscopes-Magnifiers/Bresser-Biorit-ICD-CS-Stereo-Microscope.html

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

rotnoraj_kanungoe

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 08:42:45 pm »
@ McBryce

Thanks for your share!! I honestly appreciate it!

Dear McBryce, can working distance be upgradable?? 

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:42:25 am »
I don't think so. For normal desktop use the length is fine for me.

McBryce.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 09:57:31 am »
If price is not an issue then for most people a Mantis will be superior to any conventional binocular microscope such as the Bresser. Take a look at Dave's review:

http://www.eevblog.com/2012/11/25/eevblog-390-mantis-elite-microscope-review/

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 10:53:21 am »
I took a look at the Mantis when I was looking for a new Microscope. Other than the price shock, I also found that it would take up a huge amount of desk space. If you've loads of room this isn't a problem, but for me it was a deal-killer.

McBryce.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 11:31:24 am »
Tagarno magnus ZIP maybe. Less space with a wall mount LCD TV but still price shock

Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 12:00:10 pm »
That's only good for inspection, you can't solder under something like that.

McBryce.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 12:01:38 pm »
You most definitely can

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 12:03:58 pm »
Really? I've tried soldering under video microscopes in the past. The tiniest of lag and the lack of spacial 3D feeling made it a nightmare.

McBryce.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 12:06:09 pm »
Totally agree, soldering under a normal USB webcam is impossible.
But the Tagarno FHD ZIP is 60fps HDMI output. It's as smooth as a baby's bottom.  :-DD

The tagarno is shown a bit in this video starting ~ 20:40
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:09:41 pm by Psi »

rotnoraj_kanungoe

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 03:02:27 pm »
Possible to disguise a DSLR camera with optical zoom 30X or higher to a professional (atleast for 0201 SMT soldering stuff ) microscope ??

Pl park your comment/s here..

rotnoraj_kanungoe

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 03:31:22 pm »
S to M  :phew:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:49:41 pm by rotnoraj_kanungoe »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 03:45:28 pm »
Is STEREO >> VIDEO, binocular over USB.

Strong yes. Stereo optical will give you the best sense what's going on.

Zoom factor?

For SMT work you don't need high magnification. Make sure you can get down to x5 magnification or so.

Price not a constraint!

If it's not a constraint that Mantis is probably the best choice. Never use it but people swear by it, especially for working long hours with the microscope. If not, almost any Chinese stereo zoom microscope from ebay will go a long way. Make sure you can get down to x5 magnification, it has good light (e.g. LED ring), and a base that fits your need (e.g. a boom base). If you also need to photograph get one with an extra port for camera.  I am using a ~$300 Amscope and have no problem with the working distance.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 04:30:16 pm »
No arguments with the recommendations about the best, but for the readers of this thread who do have cost limits, any microscope wins over none.  I am quite happy with a thrift store score, a no name stereo scope that was obviously aimed at the bio sciences.  Wouldn't want to spend eight hours a day on it, but for more casual use it is far superior to options like loupes and visor style magnifiers.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 06:41:02 pm »
S to M

You can use a smartphone as a hammer as well:

It's not a good hammer, though.

rotnoraj_kanungoe

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 07:19:21 pm »
@ zapta

Thank you so much for your suggestions on the topic!!

I, actually, didn't remember where I read it. But, came across the fact that a 0.5X barlow lenses can bring a drastic change in  working distance....is this fact correct?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:21:46 pm by rotnoraj_kanungoe »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 07:40:56 pm »
@ zapta

Thank you so much for your suggestions on the topic!!

I, actually, didn't remember where I read it. But, came across the fact that a 0.5X barlow lenses can bring a drastic change in  working distance....is this fact correct?

Yes it will increase the working distance,I thick by the same factor (e.g x2)  but will also elevate the eye pieces. I don't use one and the working distance is just fine for me.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 07:45:11 pm »
Most cheap scopes have a working distance of about 85mm. Some find this enough, some don't. A 0.5X barlow will increase this to 170mm. Depending on the arrangement of the workspace, this may elevate the eyepieces to an uncomfortable height.

If you're soldering small stuff then you want your wrists flat on the bench for stability, so if your upper arms are short then it's worth trying before buying. You may need to invest in a more expensive unit if you have big hands and short arms.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 08:16:44 pm »
Another vote for stereo optical ones. They can sometimes be found on ebay when a school or college is having a clear-out. They use, or used them as biological dissecting microscopes - another application that needs very good 3d depth perception. They usually come in 5x - 20x magnifications. Microscopes with x1 objective and x5 or x10 eyepieces will give you the best unobstructed working distance and field of view. The trouble is that they turn up on ebay in batches, with long gaps between.

I prefer the ones with straight eyepieces (like binoculars - BM style in attached PDF) rather than the ones with the eyepieces tilted at 45'. Tilting the whole head towards your eyes gives you a much better view than the objective looking straight down on the board you can see the sides of the components, see between IC legs etc.

Best Regards, Chris

rotnoraj_kanungoe

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 08:24:53 pm »
I could well see my viewers are aiding me in the process of selecting one. Thank you!  :clap:

presumably  Mantis is echoing! rt ?
Any suggestion on model# as you can trace my requisites from forum. Yeah, soldering and inspecting 02005 SMT stuff...

Hope some model# will come to light in no time.........

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 08:25:54 pm »
Here's the datasheet for the same microscope, badged by Prior, It gives working distance and field of view information.

Note that where it gives different working distances for different objectives, the eyepieces stay at the same height, the objectives are just longer. As I say, X1 objective is best and use different eyepiece magnifications as needed.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 11:42:19 pm »
There are many technical, optical and other reasons why surgeons use direct viewing stereo microscopes for micro-surgery.

Much of this has to do with depth perception. It is nearly impossible to see and gauge depth on a flat 2D image. Don't believe this, try driving a motor vehicle with one eye closed and note the limited depth-distance perception while driving a motor vehicle.

The other skill that must be learned for using a stereo microscope properly is adjustment and alignment of the eye pieces to the eyes of the specific user. This is critical to reduction of eye fatigue, eye strain and reception of a high definition optical image. Stereo eye pieces must have separation distance adjustment and at least one eye piece with adjustable length to compensate for the reality that human eyes are never perfectly identical for visual balance. Other factors are optical alignment of the microscope which can have a extreme effect of user eye fatigue and overall user experience.

The other major factors in eye strain and fatigue when using a microscope is optical quality for resolution, color rendition, contrast and image stability. This is a direct matter of microscope quality. Some of the very best stereo microscopes made were from Wild Heerbrugg (Swiss) and Zeiss (West Germany). These offer some of the very best stereo microscope optics available. When they are in good optical condition, proper optical alignment, with the eye pieces set up properly for a specific user's eye's, there is little to absolutely no eye fatigue even after hours of use. When all is proper stereo microscopes of this caliber are an absolute pleasure to use and own.

Other factors are lighting. Quality of light, color temperature of the light source and method of lighting will can have as much of an effect on the microscope image as the microscope itself.

As for magnification, 3X to 10X is plenty for SMD work, resolution, contrast, color rendition and all those other factors are often far more important than basic magnification.

Bernice

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf